*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/510326-Search-For-the-Prarie-Schooner
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #510326
What happens when you see a prarie schooner with no driver?
In the days of the covered wagons was also the prarie schooner. There was one who's owner was Sam Luwelyn. A meager type of a man, not very tall. He had a dream of peace and seclusion. He went out to the desert to be by himself. The horses hearing the rattlesnake that was about to strike Sam took off and the schooner was left with no horses. The schooner had a sail and with that sail the wind blew it and it too left Sam Luwelyn. He, Sam, died after the snake bite for he had no one else with him and no way to help himself. The schooner went from town to town as the winds carried it and few times did it not ever make conversation of who was the owner and where he was. Searching for its owner it continued until found its way back to the desert where there was a man standing in the same area of where Sam Luwelyn succumbed to the snake bite.
Days later the ghost of Sam Luwelyn got aboard the schooner and left the desert. The body of Sam was in the interim decomposing as the buzzards had a feast on the carcas of Sam. Not to mention the natural way of a body to decompose was what happened. The schooner was soon seen back in town of the first occurrance. The men stopped their talking when they were asking amongst themselves had anyone seen the driver or the owern of the schooner. There was a little boy by the name olf Chad Evers who spoke up without being coerced or invited to say anything and said:"The schooner left just moments ago with a man on it but when it turned the street going out toward the desert the man disappeared. The men were now in a dither to get to the bottom of this situation and went out to the desert. Where upon their arrival, they found the body of Sam Luwelyn now in the state of decomposition as I had mentioned before. The spirt of Sam was seen by several men. The story was long told by the men and their children's children as it was passed down the generations and remains to be told today.
© Copyright 2002 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/510326-Search-For-the-Prarie-Schooner