*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/512965-Part-16--Corruption
Rated: XGC · Serial · Erotica · #512965
A horrendous find leads to urgent plans for rebellion...
DISCLAIMER: Underage character(s) involved.


Note: This item has been rewritten and edited. All text in rose is BRAND NEW MATERIAL for this chapter of the story. In addition there are many minor changes to the original text itself. Please enjoy this new, expanded version of Part 16 and be on the lookout for updates to the next parts!



NEHEKHI LAY IN his bed, staring up at the canopy. He had no Moru with him, not even Ameni; he knew he would not sleep well tonight anyway. He had been lying as such for an hour or so already, yet sleep would not come. His fingers flexed over the scroll he held to his breast.

I cannot believe he will not come. I cannot believe he will not help me.

Mahakhi had been Nehekhi's trainer during his later years in the army. His name had been well known even back then, and Nehekhi and Thi'usa had been excited to hear that they would be training under him. He had taught the Kana in the barracks on occasion, yet it was only when Nehekhi and Thi'usa had made the rank of lieutenant that they were able to at last seek him as their full-time trainer. Most Kana who had reached their rank unofficially quit the army to start their own lives, though always remaining on call to serve when needed; reaching the rank of lieutenant was considered completion of training, and nothing further was needed for most. Nehekhi and Thi'usa had been far more ambitious than most, however, and had remained to train to become captains of the general, as Mahakhi himself was.

Nehekhi clenched the scroll. If I had known what would become of General T'uris...would I then have been so eager to remain...? If I had stayed lieutenant, and stayed with the East Tribe...would the Red Tribe even be in the state it is in now? What if I had done things differently...?

He had no way of knowing if either T'uris's or Djiu's madness could have been prevented, yet his troubled thoughts gave him no rest. Mahakhi had been the closest thing to a mentor and a guide that he had ever had. He had loved Thi'usa as a comrade, and then as his slave, but Thi'usa had never had much of a mind for leadership or politics, and Nehekhi even wondered if he had really been interested in reaching captain at all, or in just furthering his skills with the best trainer available. Mahakhi, on the other hand, had always been reliable and trustworthy; and although he lost his temper easily, he regained it just as quickly, and this had never seemed to have an effect on his leadership skills. Nehekhi could not understand why he had never vied for the position of general, when it was obvious so many deemed him fit.

I know why he has never sought this spot. He is smart, that is why; the rank of captain is a safe one. You need not head out into battle, as the lieutenants must do; and you need not lead the tribe, only to fear waking up with a dagger stuck in your back, as generals must do...

Yet Mahakhi had never been a coward...and so why he had so tersely refused Nehekhi's invitation to visit the Red Tribe was beyond his understanding, and this bothered him greatly.

He knows we are in trouble. I told him so myself. Why would he refuse to come? Does he not care for us any longer...?

He put his arm to his eyes and let the scroll drop to the floor. A knock came at his door but he did not bother to respond. Even when he heard it open he kept his eyes covered, and heard footsteps approach the bed somewhat hesitantly, then heard the rustle of the scroll being retrieved and opened.

"You may guess the contents by now," he said aloud.

He waited a moment, then peered out from beneath his arm. Lieutenant Taka held the scroll in his hands, looking it over with troubled eyes. He lifted them to give Nehekhi a sympathetic look.

"I am sorry, Lord..."

"We have no one to blame but two madmen. I suppose he is merely preoccupied with his own at the moment." Nehekhi covered his eyes again. "Perhaps if I had not waited so damned long, then I could have sought help..."

"You knew it was best to bide your time, Lord. But Djiu himself removed the last obstacle. You no longer have to face Siktu."

"Siktu was hardly an obstacle any longer. Even he detested the general for what he was doing. As much as I hate him--as much as I can never forgive or forget what he did to my Moru--there was still that one little thing about him. He did not like what we were doing to the humans, either."

"Not for the noble reasons that you dislike it, Lord. Siktu was a dog. He was only interested in scratching his own fleas."

"Yet at least I knew exactly where I stood with him. I am so weary of this little game I play with the general. Sometime, soon, he must start to see through me."

Another knock came at the door. Nehekhi didn't bother looking; Taka waited a moment, then called out, "Come!"

Another one of the guards entered and approached, bowing. "Apologies for the late hour, Lord..."

"The captain is seeking rest," Taka snapped. "Be quick with your message and then leave."

"I would not have bothered, Lords, had I not thought it important...you see, the messenger you sent, to the East Tribe, well, he has been causing some trouble at the gate, and is absolutely demanding to be let in...I believe he is drunk, Lord."

Nehekhi lifted his arm to peer at him. Taka frowned.

"Drunk?" he echoed.

The lieutenant nodded. "Yes, Lords...I would have dragged him out immediately, yet he says he has something to say about the message he brought back from the East Tribe--he keeps yelling something about a mistake..."

Nehekhi slowly sat up, pushing the drapes further aside. "Allow him in," he ordered, and the lieutenant retreated. Taka looked at him.

"Lord...?"

"There is a funny sound to this," Nehekhi said, putting his feet on the floor and slipping on his sandals. "I had thought there was something odd to Lord Mahakhi's note, but I had no reason to believe it was anything other than my own thoughts...but if I was right after all..."

Taka frowned again, not seeming to understand. A few moments passed before the guard returned, escorting a sergeant who stumbled as he walked. When they stepped inside the door he yanked his arm free from the lieutenant's grasp and tottered forward, threatening to topple over before he spotted Nehekhi and Taka and quickly saluted. This gesture made him lose his balance and Taka had to grab hold of him now.

"Speak quickly!" he barked. "As you see you came at a bad hour, and in bad form!"

"Lord Nehekh--" the sergeant hiccupped "--Nehekhi." He saluted again, swaying unsteadily. "I don't know if you rec--recall me, but I served as your messen--messenger, to the East Tri--Tribe."

Nehekhi nodded with a twinge of irritation. "Yes, I remember you. Speak! Why have you come here in this state?"

"Forgi--give me, Lord." He saluted a third time, as if his mind kept forgetting that he'd already done so. "But my conscie--conscience has been troubling me greatly, so I thought a few beers might help sti--still the demons, yet it appears not to be so."

Taka squeezed his arm. "Get to the point, Moru!"

Another salute. The sergeant waved at the scroll which had fallen to the floor again. "Apologies, Lor--Lord...yet this is not the message of Lord Maha--Mahakhi. I was forced to deliver it practically on pain of dea--death. May my wings be flayed in the Du--Duat!"

Nehekhi's and Taka's brows furrowed. The captain slowly stooped to retrieve the scroll and stood again, looking at it strangely.

"This is not from Lord Mahakhi...?" he murmured.

The sergeant shook his head and hiccupped. "N...no, Lord; merely a cle--clever hoax. I did not even know unti--until I heard another in the taverns talking about Lord Maha--Mahakhi, and realized he must not have been the one I met with after all."

Taka's face screwed up. "You'd best clarify what you mean right this minute! What in the hells happened over there?"

Yet another salute. The sergeant started swaying even more; Nehekhi grasped a chair and pushed it forward, and Taka placed it behind the Kana just before he could collapse. He sank into the chair instead and rubbed at his bleary eyes.

"I went to speak with the captain just as you asked, Lord...yet there was a group of lieuten--lieutenants who insisted on waylaying me, and dragging me into a dark alley, and practically molesting my person--they seized the message you had given me, though I did try hard to fight them off, for there were at least four or five of them, Lord, all poking at me and threatening me not to speak a word of anything..."

"This sounds more like those robber dogs than any men of the East Tribe!" Nehekhi exclaimed in disbelief. "What exactly did they say to you?"

"They took the message and claimed they would bring it to the cap--captain themselves, Lord, and that I would receive a reply shortly...though by then I was most afraid of even setting foo--foot back here lest you thrash me for failing my duties...then one of them ordered another to take me to the taverns, and get me soused, and I remember very little after that, until the next day...at least I assume it was the next day...when I met with Lord Mahakhi, at least, they said he was Lord Mahakhi, though not everything seemed to make much sense...for one thing he was very sli--slight for a captain, he was even scrawnier than I am..."

Taka let out a disgusted sound. "Ass! Lord Mahakhi is bigger in stature even than Lord Nehekhi, and he could easily snap you in two! You did not speak with the captain at all!" He turned to Nehekhi. "Lord, you should want me to slice his ears open for you--?"

Nehekhi made a face and waved his hand. "It is not necessary, Taka; do not bother." He frowned again. "It sounds as if Lord Mahakhi's lieutenants did not wish my message to reach him...yet why this is, I do not understand. They all seemed to be upright Kana. Why would they trick me so? I did not treat a one of them with disrespect, that I recall..."

"Perhaps the matter is not one of disrespect?" Taka suggested.

Nehekhi waved at him to remove the sergeant from the room, and Taka brought him to the door, leaving him in the hands of the other lieutenant before shutting it and returning. "I do not know what else it could be," he murmured, opening the scroll and reading it over yet again. "They remained just as vague as I had been, so what their intent was, I cannot tell..."

"You had said they were having their own problems with their general, were they not?"

"Yes, and quite troublesome ones...their tribe may be in even worse shape than our own soon enough." He frowned and stared off into space. "That is why they tricked me then...? They are too preoccupied with their own trouble? Why did they not simply tell me so? I would have accepted this explanation without complaint..."

Taka looked as if he wanted to say something, then refrained. Nehekhi noticed how he opened his mouth and shut it and his frown grew. "You have a thought?" he asked; when the lieutenant still said nothing he let the scroll snap shut. "Out with it, Taka. You have always more than spoken up before."

"With respect, Lord," Taka said, "perhaps Mahakhi's lieutenants have merely gotten the same idea that we have--although we have not acted without your orders."

"What do you mean by this?"

"Well..." Taka shifted his foot. "You do remember that we wished revenge upon Lord Siktu, before Djiu dealt with him."

"Yes, yes. What does Siktu have to do with Mahakhi? Speak more quickly and less vaguely. This is a bad hour for dodging about."

"I could not have helped but to hear the word spreading around among some of the other men that their sights are upon larger prey. I will leave you to guess what I mean," he said when Nehekhi's expression changed. "Perhaps it is merely that Lord Mahakhi's lieutenants have gotten the same idea concerning their own...problem."

Nehekhi's brow furrowed. "Well if this is so then why keep me in the dark about it! I would gladly back Mahakhi in any effort of his. Does he have Moru for lieutenants?"

Taka gave him a pointed look. "You yourself have said Lord Mahakhi is an honorable Kana, and not overly ambitious for the position of general. And although he sounds like a royal ass I have not yet heard of anything Lord T'uris has done to warrant removal. Perhaps the East Tribe is planning something to speed things along."

"Simply keeping his tribe from raiding for food is warrant enough!" Nehekhi retorted, before pausing. A look of understanding came to his eyes. "But Lord Mahakhi is not an overly ambitious Kana, no," he said quietly at last. "Even his own men were questioning why he did not seek the position...and he always seemed more interested in commanding the men, than in commanding the tribe." He paused again, then lifted his head and nodded at Taka. "You may return to your post now."

Taka blinked at the sudden dismissal. "This is it, then, Lord--?"

The captain nodded again. "This is all. Though I wish you to keep your eyes and ears doubly open in case any scouts or messengers approach the tribe."

"Messengers--?" Taka echoed in confusion. Nehekhi merely nodded and he had to suppress a sigh and salute before leaving the room. Nehekhi watched the door close behind him before sitting upon his bed again, knitting his fingers together and flicking his tail.

I must trust his lieutenants then, he thought. For they sound more resolute than I. Though soon I believe we must make up our own minds, as well.

For some odd reason, this thought calmed him. He sighed and lay back, lifting his legs into the bed, and after a while managed to catch his first sleep that night.

* * * * *


Nehef and Ahai'ikh sat atop the mudbrick wall surrounding General T'uris's household, flicking their tails lazily and yawning in the heat. For the fourth day in a row the sun had blistered hotter than ever, the dust upon the streets below rising in puffs with the passing of every Sha. They kept a waterskin between them but drank little, instead keeping their eyes upon the passersby below. More than a few cast dark looks at the household which stood oddly silent, and the two lieutenants grew more troubled with each glance.

"It is too hot," Ahai'ikh said.

Nehef rolled his eyes. "Complain to the sun then! I doubt it will listen to the likes of you."

"This is not what I mean. You do know what tends to happen when it gets too hot, don't you?"

Nehef thought. "It gets too tiresome for good nesakh'ai?" he finally offered, at which Ahai'ikh shot him a dirty look.

"No, stupid! Remember the last time the supply of Moru was waning, and the weather took such a turn. What was it we were busy doing all night?"

Nehef thought again, then sighed and leaned on his spear. "Putting out housefires," he grumbled. "I remember, everyone was getting pissy. I could swear every clay pot in the tribe was shattered somewhere or other."

"And three Kana were killed, and seventeen of the soldiers were injured, and I cannot even remember how many Moru were assaulted or stolen," Ahai'ikh added. "No fewer than forty-three men ended up in the jails after that! And it took weeks just to clean up the mess. You know what a nasty combination hot weather and a cool market are. I am just waiting for someone to hurl a flaming torch at this house."

"They would wait until nightfall. But yes, I understand you now," Nehef hurried to add when his companion gave him another look. "Perhaps we would be better off preparing for a riot than just sitting here doing nothing."

Ahai'ikh opened his mouth to reply when a thudding panting sound from below caught their attention. They peered over their shoulders to see a sergeant come running from T'uris's household, stumbling to a halt and saluting up at them.

"Lords!" he called. "I wish that I might speak with you in person but a moment!"

"Can't you see we are busy?" Nehef said, and Ahai'ikh jabbed him in the ribs.

The sergeant shielded his eyes. "I believe it is most important, Lord!"

Nehef sighed, but the two of them rose and descended from the wall. The sergeant waited, fidgeting, as they made their way down the inside ladder and came to the ground. He approached them and saluted again, still panting.

"There is a slight problem in the general's household," he said, then turned back the way he'd come. "Please follow."

He started walking before they could speak. "Slight problem?" Nehef echoed, nostrils flaring. "I thought it was supposed to be IMPORTANT!"

Ahai'ikh sighed. "We'd best follow him anyway. Maybe the general has gotten a papercut or something, and needs someone to kiss his finger."

Nehef barked. "At least we would not be kissing anything else! I am through with that!"

They followed the sergeant inside. Most of the household was abandoned; although the hallways were far cooler than the outside, the lieutenants knew that the rooms could grow sweltering in this kind of weather, if they did not directly front the courtyards or a nice source of wind. Even most guards had left their posts, though nobody seemed to be bothered by the thought of punishment for neglecting their duties, Nehef and Ahai'ikh included.

"They all had the right idea," Nehef muttered as they walked. "We should have bailed from here long ago."

"We are first and second lieutenant, remember? Our absence would be noticed."

"Aye, if only because he needs SOMEONE to fetch him more scrolls to read!"

At the moment the general was most likely occupied in his library or else his private quarters, poring over at least one scroll of many. They did not doubt that he had even started reading his collection a second or third time, as they had not been on any raids at all recently, and with how much time T'uris spent reading, he must have finished them all by now. They had no idea what might possibly be so interesting about Kemeti scrolls and could only chalk it up to the general's growing madness. While the tribe withered and starved, he kept himself cooped in his house and did nothing but read. Even the occasional small raids the lieutenants carried out now and then were no longer enough to alleviate the growing discontent and hunger.

As if thinking of this, Ahai'ikh put a hand to his belly. "I am famished," he complained. "I do not know how Hiath'ikh goes without proper food for so long, for I believe I shall faint."

"I will let you eat Hiath'ikh then," Nehef said. Ahai'ikh made a face.

"He will hardly be filling!"

"True, but at least there will then be one less of you to bellyache." They made their way at last into one of the dark back halls, the sergeant retrieving a lamp to light the way. The two lieutenants fell silent now, peering tensely at the many closed doors. Few even still lived within T'uris's household by now; Ahai'ikh and Nehef found as many ways as they could to keep from sleeping there. Since T'uris had started locking the door to the library and not coming out for hours on end, long after night had fallen, the house had simply seemed too unnerving to occupy.

"Thank the gods there are many more decent places I can crash," Nehef muttered. "T'uris does not even loan out his Moru. Do you know I almost stooped to buying one at the market? I must have been insane. Where would I keep her?"

"There is plenty of room in my stomach," Ahai'ikh sighed lamely.

"Oh, cease already. Once we get to wherever we are going I will find you a jug of wine and drown you in it. I don't care if I have to steal it from T'uris himself if it makes you stop whining!" He glared at the sergeant ahead of them. "Hey, Moru. Where's this little problem you claimed was here? If we must walk two steps further--"

The sergeant finally slowed and halted. He lifted the lamp and turned to them with an uneasy look on his face. Nehef frowned, and Ahai'ikh craned his neck.

"That is the door to the Moru quarters right ahead!" he exclaimed. "You have led us back here?"

"What sort of problem is this?" Nehef spat. "The general can take care of his own Moru's petty squabbles! I cannot believe I was called here to babysit some slaves."

He started to turn away but the sergeant rushed forward and clamped onto his arm. "Please, Lord, it's nothing like that," he said under his breath. "It is merely that I've noticed--"

"Why are you whispering?" Nehef asked, puzzled.

Ahai'ikh sniffed at the air. "What is that smell?"

"That's rather why I called you here, Lords," the sergeant said, still in the same furtive voice. "You see, I was not meant to be down here--T'uris has forbidden wandering in this part of the household for the past few weeks, yet I was seeking a shortcut back to the kitchen, and I could not help but pass..."

"Oh, please get to it already!" Nehef snapped. "So you were wandering in T'uris's household; so what. We will hardly tattle on you."

"This is not it, Lord. I...ah...well, I noticed something amiss..." He cast a glance at Ahai'ikh, who was still sniffing at the air with a perplexed look. "I noticed what he has noticed, and started to wonder..."

"What? I cannot smell anything. What?" Nehef took a few steps toward his partner and started sniffing as well. After a moment or so he sensed it, and frowned. The two lieutenants stood scenting the air, nostrils flaring. After another moment Nehef lowered his head and bristled.

"Ugh! Do not tell me he has not had the Moru quarters cleaned out in WEEKS!" He wrinkled his muzzle. "Why have you called us? We do not clean slave quarters! This should be T'uris's job, since he does not even allow anyone else access to his Moru! Can you imagine how much filth must have built up in there? I pity those dogs!"

"I--I have not looked," the sergeant said. "I wished to state that I have not been near the Moru quarters in ages! Just as commanded! I was wondering if perhaps either of you had checked them any time recently..."

"What do we look like, maids?" Nehef snapped. Ahai'ikh edged closer to the door, still sniffing. "Just because we are his lieutenants does not mean we tend to everything. I will hardly go digging through a week's worth of Moru dung..."

"But, you have not checked in here in how long--?"

"I have not been here in FOREVER! It's not my job!"

"Then do you know of anyone else who...?"

A slight thumping noise interrupted them. They turned to see Ahai'ikh knocking cautiously at the door. Nehef frowned and started walking toward him.

"'Hikh, why are you bothering? They have probably passed out from their own sten--"

He halted in midstep, his eyes goggling. Ahai'ikh stared at him as he put his hands to his muzzle and coughed abruptly.

"You smell it, too?" Ahai'ikh asked.

Nehef made a gagging sound. "How--how could I NOT! How many weeks HAS it been since it was cleaned out...?"

Ahai'ikh's face turned tense. "Somehow I feel..." He trailed off, as if not wanting to continue. The sergeant was wringing his hands. Ahai'ikh made certain his spear was poised before trying the handle. His tense look grew.

"What? What is it?" Nehef prodded.

"There is a wedge in the handle." Ahai'ikh stooped to pull it out; he looked it over and tossed it aside. "Locked?"

"Well, of course. So they would not run riot when their quarters began to smell! Moru can riot, as well."

Ahai'ikh tried the handle again and with a bit of pulling the door at last started open. As soon as it did a horrific look crossed his face and he squinched his eyes shut, muzzle wrinkling; he waved at the sergeant to give him the lamp, and the other Kana quickly did, stepping back again. Ahai'ikh opened the door further and stepped behind it, out of their sight.

"I do not envy you," Nehef said.

A moment passed. Then a CLANK made them both start and grab for their weapons. Instead of an attacking Moru, it was Ahai'ikh who came stumbling hastily away from the door, clutching at his stomach.

Nehef's ears pricked. "'Hikh! What is it--?"

The other lieutenant ran his shoulder into a column across the hall and stopped, hunching forward and vomiting upon the floor. Nehef and the sergeant bristled, startled. Ahai'ikh had not had much in his stomach to begin with, but what little there was ended up on the floor; he continued retching, although nothing was left to come out.

"'Hikh--?" Nehef tried again. His comrade still didn't reply, now coughing harshly at the floor. Nehef stared at him a moment, then steeled himself and turned toward the door. He paused not far from the yawning doorway, crinkling his nose at the horrid smell that drifted from the room, and snapped his fingers at the sergeant. "Lamp!"

The sergeant retrieved another one from the wall and handed it to him, shaking. Nehef took it and gingerly stepped into the doorway, clasping his spear in one hand and the lamp in the other. It was as if a haze filled the room, the air was so thick with that awful stench; he took a step across the threshold and held up the lamp, peering around with watering eyes. His foot met something soft and he looked down at the floor.

It was a hand he'd stepped upon, only no Moru hand should have looked so black and puffy, nor felt so soft and yielding. Nehef lifted his foot and a chunk of skin came with it. His eyes flicked further forward and he now saw the owner of the hand, lying upon the floor just before him, his--or her--face equally black and puffy, eyes sunken and shriveled, tongue protruding, a pool of fluids gathered around it.

Nehef paused a split second before screaming with fright and scrambling back out of the room, away from the pile of rotting Moru corpses that littered the floor in front of the doorway.

* * * * *


The sergeant was the one who fared poorest of the group of Kana now gathered outside T'uris's Moru quarters, although he had seen the least. He sat over beside the opposite wall, shaking badly, while the lieutenants--Resikh and Djuta among them now--took turns peering inside and tentatively exploring the stinking room. Each could tolerate the stench only a few moments before coming out again, and even when the door had at last been closed they made numerous faces. Resikh cringed and rubbed at his arms repeatedly as if to try to brush the smell off.

"How long have they been like this?" Djuta asked.

Nehef shook his head. "I cannot tell. I have never seen such bodies! Usually we are gone before such things begin to stink! But he says--" he gestured at the sergeant "--that no one has been down this way in weeks, including us."

"T'uris commanded it," Ahai'ikh said weakly. He was still holding his stomach, his face a sickly shade. "We thought perhaps he was just being stingy with his Moru, but now we hear he has never even sent anyone to clean after them--or see to them--"

"Or feed and water them," Nehef added, and a sick look passed over each of the Kana's faces. Resikh stared at the door, teeth slightly bared.

"I cannot even imagine how long it took...took all of them to starve to death! They have been locked in there possibly for months! You saw the clawmarks upon the door, how so many of the bodies are piled there--they even tried to escape! How could he let them go without food...?"

"I do not think all of them starved," Djuta interrupted softly. When the others looked at him he nodded at the door. "Near the far corner. I spotted one that looked to have only one arm...I do not recall any of T'uris's Moru being deformed. And I saw some bones beside the other wall..."

Resikh's eyes filled with tears and he lowered his head, sucking in a breath. Nehef and Ahai'ikh could only stand, looking lost and bewildered. Djuta started rubbing at himself now, grimacing at the smell which lingered in their fur.

"What do we do?" Ahai'ikh murmured.

"We are not even supposed to be down here," Nehef said. "If T'uris is willing to let his own Moru starve to death, then he is willing to do anything!"

"Starve." This came from Resikh, who they had excused from the conversation. They looked at him and he lifted his head, his eyes still brimming and wide.

"Starve!" he said again. When they gave him confused looks he spread his arms. "Not just his Moru. The whole tribe! We have not been telling him for we thought he would grow angry? He will not even care if we tell him! He LET his Moru die! That is why he ordered no one near them! He did not want the bother! It is those damned SCROLLS of his!"

Nehef's lips drew back. "You really think he would let the tribe starve--? Purposefully--?"

"He is selfish and inattentive and irresponsible," Ahai'ikh said, "yet you think he could do something so--"

"Atrocious?" This from Djuta; they all looked at him. So far of the four, he had remained the calmest, and he gave them all a serious look, waving at the door again. "See what he has done to his own slaves--those whom he bought with his own money. Those who bore his own pups. Even his mates and his pups themselves. You really need to ask what he would do to his own tribe?"

The others were silent for a very long time, their gazes shifting from him to the doorway and back again. Ahai'ikh started chewing on one claw. Nehef shrugged helplessly.

"And so what do we do now?" he asked.

Resikh stepped forward and shut the door, grimacing at the foul air which wafted out into the hall. "The first thing we must do is bathe! We will stink like this forever!"

"This cannot go unreported," Ahai'ikh mumbled around his claw.

"Who do we report to--? He is the general!" Nehef seemed to catch himself, then whirled on Djuta. "This is it! We have waited long enough. We needed ample reason to act? Now we have it! Surely there is something to be said of practically slaughtering one's whole herd of Moru!"

"As despicable as it is, they are his to do with as he wishes!" Resikh countered. "There are many others in the tribe who would not object to killing one of their own slaves. What if they were to find out, and take his side--?"

The two Kana started arguing. The sergeant next to the wall put his hands to his ears. Djuta opened his mouth as if to speak, but it was Ahai'ikh who silenced them, waving his arms widely.

"Enough!" he exclaimed, somehow managing to keep his voice below a yell. Resikh and Nehef halted in their arguing to glance at him. "We follow procedure!" he exclaimed. "It is a crime just as any other! One may beat one's Moru, but to see to their unwarranted death is inexcusable! It is needless cruelty against Moru, and even more, it is a sign of great instability! If one allows the death of their slaves, then it is rightly assumed that they may just as easily allow the death of their men." He turned to Djuta. "A Kana of high ranking, believed to be endangering the lives of those under his command, is to be reported to a captain or any captain of the grand tribunal! The law is clear. Any Kana!"

"The captains of the grand tribunal have long been in T'uris's pocket!" Nehef snapped. "We are in the best position to know such a thing!"

"He must be reported to someone," Resikh insisted.

Djuta stared into space for a moment or two as they started squabbling again. "A Kana of the grand tribunal?" he said after a pause; the others again stopped speaking to look at him, and he lifted his head to meet their eyes. His face was set.

"Then I know one who is above reproach."

* * * * *


Nehef and Ahai'ikh walked briskly along the darkened street, Nehef burdened with a small bundle which he carried in his arms. By now most of the taverns had emptied, the supply of beer being as low as it was; upon the same day perhaps a year or so ago the streets would have still been very busy. As it was, they stumbled in the near darkness, cursing under their breath and navigating by the flickering light of the occasional window lamp.

"I just know this is a bad idea," Nehef muttered as they went. "How Djuta can be so damned sure, I have no clue!"

"He said Hiath'ikh would vouch for him. He is the one who took Mahakhi's place in the Red Tribe delegation! Who else do you think we have a shot with?"

"I do not see YOU carrying this thing! So you get in front and lead the way and THEN I will follow. As for what comes afterward--I hope we can both adjust to having our wings trimmed!"

They finally reached one of the bigger but older households upon the right side of the street, and made their way up the steps. The guards out front peered at them curiously, blocking their way until they lifted their lappets for inspection; once the golden insignia of T'uris's house was spotted they were let through without hesitation. They paced through the empty main court and toward the opposite doorway.

"Where will we find him, even? For all we know he is busy with his Moru or something!"

"It is still the dinner hour!" Ahai'ikh said with a gusty sigh. "And as it is so hot, he is likely in the courtyard or upon the roof! Quit whimpering like a puppy! Your burden is not that heavy."

"I still do not see why I am the one carrying it," Nehef grumbled.

The central courtyard was empty, and another guard informed them that the lord of the household and his men had in fact retreated to the roof for dinner. Nehef grumbled again but followed Ahai'ikh up the steps to the top of the house. A slight cool breeze from the river blew over here, and as they reached the top of the steps the sound of chattering and laughter came to their ears. The smell of food was wonderful and their mouths watered, but they kept their minds on what was at hand.

Once they emerged atop the roof all eyes turned to stare at them in puzzlement. Kana and Moru alike looked them up and down in curiosity as they made their way to the main table, bowing as they reached it.

Captain Ahen looked up at them with a frown. "Nehef? Ahai'ikh?" he said; they saluted and his frown grew. "What are you doing here at this hour? Shouldn't you be with the general?"

"Apologies for interrupting your dinner, Lord, but he is the reason we are here," Ahai'ikh replied. He looked at the young female Moru seated beside Ahen, then at the others, lieutenants and sergeants of the household and their Moru, seated around them. Everyone had fallen silent to listen. He cleared his throat uncomfortably. "It...is an important matter, best discussed in private."

Ahen's nostrils flared. "You have taken the trouble to show up at my house in the middle of dinner with my men," he said. "I should think you would not mind sharing your message with all of us."

Ahai'ikh paused, looking lost. He glanced at Nehef, who merely made a face and came forward.

"Very well...though I do not think you will be enjoying your dinner much afterwards."

He lifted the bundle he carried, pulling on the edge of the cloth it was wrapped in and letting it unroll itself. Something large fell to the table with a sickening thud. Ahen's nose wrinkled and he bared his teeth and his mate screamed and dove behind his wings. The others at the table jumped back in response, their looks much the same as their captain's; one or two even scurried up and away from the table in great haste, and another few covered their mouths, their faces going white.

Ahen stared down at the decomposing body of the child lying before him. It looked not to be more than two or three, though its sorry state made guessing difficult. Already the area of the table was filled with the reek, and the rest of the Kana started getting up and retreating, covering their noses and making sickened noises. The Moru hiding behind Ahen clutched at his wing, shaking and peering out, her eyes wide. Ahen dug his claws into the table.

"What is this?" he grated, glaring up at Nehef with a silent snarl.

"The matter we came to speak to you about," Nehef answered.

Ahen continued giving the two lieutenants a venomous look for a moment or two, then glanced at the Kana nearest him and jerked his head toward the stairway. His men looked confused but turned and started filing away, taking their Moru with them. The roof slowly cleared until none but the two lieutenants, Ahen and his mate, and a couple of stray guards remained. Ahen leaned slightly to the side and touched the Moru's arm.

"Ta'pepet, leave us. I will speak with you later."

The female grasped his wing in one hand, reaching out toward the table with the other. Her eyes were filled with tears by now and her hand shook; she looked as if she wanted to touch the pathetic little corpse, and recoil from it at the same time.

"Poor...little...p-pup," she stammered; Ahen gestured at the two guards, who came forward and gently helped her to her feet. The tears spilled down her face and she started whimpering incoherently as they led her away, leaving the roof to the last three.

Ahen watched until they were gone from sight, then turned back to the waiting lieutenants and gave them such a look that they both immediately knelt by the table to be at eye level with him. Ahai'ikh even put his arm to his breast as if to salute, but Ahen didn't give him any time to.

"This was necessary?" he snarled. "Offending my men and terrifying my mate? We have a pup barely this age ourselves, Lieutenants, and this was something she did not need to see."

"We did not intend to cause harm, Lord," Nehef said. "But this was the only way we could draw the matter to anyone's attention."

"What matter? What possible matter could you have that entails dragging in a dead child and dumping its remains on my dinner table!"

"With respect, Lord," Ahai'ikh interjected, saluting now, "this is the same matter we have heard that Lord Hiath'ikh has discussed with you--concerning the East Tribe's situation."

"Hiath'ikh?" Ahen frowned. "Lieutenant Hiath'ikh has spoken to me of food and market troubles! What has this possibly got to do with that--?"

Nehef gestured at the corpse, unable to refrain from wrinkling his muzzle at the smell. "The cost of feeding this pup was apparently too great for General T'uris. It and all the rest of his Moru are dead."

Ahen blinked. Nehef managed to hold his stare, until the captain looked down at the body again. He stared at it for a long while, even as a few flies flitted in and started to alight upon it, and only then did he move, baring his teeth and swatting them away with distaste. He glared at Nehef.

"What are you saying? That this pup is from the general's household? Whose word do you have it on?"

"Our own, Lord. We inspected the Moru quarters ourselves. At least...as much as we were able." Nehef made a face. "They are full of rotting bodies like this one. Males, and females, and pups and babes. They are all dead. They have been that way a long while."

The look on Ahen's face had grown absolutely incredulous. "It is true, Lord," Ahai'ikh vouched. He paused and had to avert his eyes from the table. "There...there are signs they struggled to free themselves, and even..."

He trailed off. Nehef finished with, "There are also signs they had begun to...fall upon one another from starvation, Lord. At least, a few of the bodies were not entirely intact..."

Ahen finally stood up. The lieutenants followed suit, eyeing him warily. Ahen put his hand to his eyes and rubbed at his head.

"So you are saying...that General T'uris allowed his Moru to starve to death? Every last one of them? His mates and his pups and all? While he did what--? It takes weeks to starve. A week to go, perhaps, without any water. Judging by the state of the body, this was longer even than that. You would really claim he left his Moru like this, for weeks, and none ever suspected...? How does one miss an entire stable full of starving Moru?"

"General T'uris did not miss them, Lord," Nehef stated. "And none in the household noticed for he had banned them all from wandering that particular hall. He called no one to clean the quarters, none to feed or water them, or check on them, or anything. It was only a sergeant who had wandered past by chance who noticed the...smell...and pointed the situation out to us. We were the first to discover what had happened."

"I cannot believe this," Ahen murmured, still rubbing at his eyes. "I have known General T'uris since he was a lieutenant in the army. I cannot believe that he would let something like this happen..."

"Lord," Nehef said, taking a step forward. "Lord Hiath'ikh has already informed you about the situation regarding the food and the Moru for sale in the marketplace. The stores of the East Tribe have been dwindling for months, yet General T'uris orders no more raids. It is only because those like us have been acting without his orders that there has not yet been mass rioting, though I know you can tell the time is growing close! General T'uris has been informed of all of these events himself, yet he refuses to act. He coops himself up in his library with those scrolls all the time! He would not even greet the visitors from the Red Tribe. He must know of the direness of the situation, else why would he leave his own Moru to die in such a terrible way? He knew how much they eat and drink and how much it costs to keep them alive. All he had to do was lock their door and be rid of several dozen mouths in one simple move!"

Ahen lifted his head and gave the lieutenant such a glare that he trailed off. He turned to Ahai'ikh.

"Who else knows of this situation?"

"There is ourselves, Lord, and then Lieutenants Djuta and Resikh, and the sergeant. Lord Hiath'ikh does not yet know of the dead Moru, but Djuta or Resikh may soon be telling him."

"What have you done with this sergeant?"

"Lord Resikh escorted him away. He was in a rather poor state."

"Do you believe he will be talking much?"

Nehef and Ahai'ikh shared a small look. "Not unless he is needed to," Nehef said, uncertain how to reply.

Ahen turned his head to look out over the city, lying below them in the dusk, few lamps left burning by now. They all stared at the general's household at the far end of the settlement, its standards flapping in the breeze. Ahen's face grew dark.

"And so the five of you have been speaking about this with each other for weeks now." The lieutenants looked at him again uneasily. "Now that it is coming out in the open, what do you plan to do?"

The two younger Kana stood silent for a moment or two, fidgeting slightly. Ahai'ikh opened his mouth, then closed it; Nehef seized his chance and spoke up again.

"The East Tribe needs fresh leadership!" he exclaimed, saluting. "We suggest that he who is most capable be named acting general!"

Ahai'ikh bared his teeth at him in a panicked grimace but still said nothing. Ahen crossed his arms.

"And who do you have in mind for this role? I assume you've already thought it out?"

Nehef paused and blinked, then drew himself up again. "The most obvious choice is the correct one. Lord Mahakhi should be named general!"

"Lord Mahakhi has shown little interest in acquiring this position," Ahen grated. "How do you plan to convince him to accept?"

"With respect, Lord," Nehef said, "I believe this is only because it would have been improper to suggest the possibility to him. General T'uris is still in good physical health. We are the only ones who know we have enough reason to oust him." Ahai'ikh's face grew grayer and grayer but he ignored it. "Lord Mahakhi will not act unless and until he knows for certain he has the men behind him."

"Do you say Lord Mahakhi is stupid?" Ahen asked.

Nehef opened his mouth but it was Ahai'ikh who saluted and answered. "No, Lord. He is merely cautious, and loyal to his general."

Ahen glanced at him. "And so you agree with this plan, too--?"

The lieutenant saluted again. "Yes, Lord. You know I would not urge such a thing lightly. I am certain Lords Djuta and Resikh and Hiath'ikh would agree."

Ahen held up his hand, cutting them both off before they could continue. "I am not the one to speak to about this," he said. "My only power is in advising the grand tribunal."

"With respect, Lord," Nehef said, "you were the only captain besides Mahakhi whom we felt we could trust!"

Ahen blinked and they could tell they'd surprised him. The look vanished from his face and he jerked his head toward the stairway. "Return to your posts! And take this thing with you--give it a proper disposal. I have things to tend to."

The lieutenants furrowed their brows as they carefully picked up and rewrapped the corpse, starting to walk toward the steps. "'Things,' Lord--?"

Ahen nodded once sharply and turned to head for the opposite stairway. "You need to address the proper audience with your complaint," he said, and Nehef's face lit up. "Well, I will grant you that proper audience."


* * * * *


Neither that night, nor the next, would Captain Mahakhi have been much inclined to be sitting about discussing tribe matters. Especially not the next night, for he had been unable to decide which of his females should accompany him to his bed...and so four of them had joined him, rather than one or even two. The Kana now swayed, pushing heavily, his breath snorting with his movements. One of his favorite pastimes was to spend time with his females, of which he had his choice of many. Simit, Dji'it, Thibu'het, and Akhahit were among his favorites; tonight, he coupled with Simit as she lay upon his bed, as he had many times before, while young Dji'it clung to his back, giggling and licking his neck. Her weight did nothing to deter him; she was as light as a feather. He could easily have handled all four of them, had it been possible. Instead, he had invited Thibu'het--Dji'it's mother--and Akhahit to accompany them, in case the other two tired quickly; he felt that a long night lay ahead. And so the other two females sat curled not far from him, offering small cooing noises and touching each other. He liked it immensely when they did that; he had not thought Thibu'het the type, she being the oldest of the four. Now that she was with Akhahit, however, she giggled just like a little girl, sounding remarkably like her daughter.

He appreciated, also, Dji'it's tongue against his skin, her hands roaming down his chest. He almost forgot about Simit, the younger Moru aroused him so. He hoped for her to bear him a pup sometime in the future, but for now he enjoyed her figure as it was, young and lithe and supple; her breasts were still small, yet equally enjoyable, and he found he liked her differences from the other females. He grunted appreciatively when she stroked his wings, and he likewise stroked Simit's. The older Moru moaned and arched beneath him, and he plowed heavily, making her shriek with climax.

Dji'it giggled and nuzzled at his ear. "Is it my turn now, Master? I grow so tired, awaiting my time."

Mahakhi's mouth twitched in amusement. "Patience is a virtue, my little flower, yet even I cannot be virtuous all the time. Allow poor Simit to recover herself--and for me to do the same--and then you shall be rewarded greatly for your patience."

The girl laughed and clapped her hands, climbing off of him. He dismounted Simit and rolled her over. Her eyes glazed and she panted with exhaustion. He bowed down to smile and kiss her.

"Satisfied, my little sweet?"

She smiled lazily. "Most satisfied, dear Master...as always, every time to be with you. Oh! Body to ache!"

He gave a low chuckle and stroked her chin. "I do not know if this is from the exertion or because you desire me again...but whichever it is, I'm afraid you will have to wait. Little Dji'it has been promised her turn...and I have yet to even touch dear Thibu'het and Akhahit." Akhahit smiled at him and lowered her head to take Thibu'het's breast in her mouth; the older Moru moaned softly and put back her head, her hand wildly stroking Akhahit's moist opening. The Kana snorted aloud in mock offense. "Akhahit! You should be filled with shame for doing that in front of me! And you, Thibu'het, falling for it--when I am done here the two of you shall be punished most greatly!"

The other Moru giggled in response, and a moment later he smiled down at them paternally as all four placed their hands upon him, looking up into his face.

"Please don't punish us, dear Master. You know we hardly deserve it."

"Hold, Thibu'het...perhaps punishment of Lord Mahakhi to be the sweetest of all?"

"Perhaps it is--how do you intend to punish us, Master?"

"Yes, please to tell your lowly Moru!"

Mahakhi's smile grew. "First of all, I intend to impale each of you with myself. Then, I shall plow all of you, deeply. And then I shall ride all of you like I ride a sturdy Sha."

The women giggled wildly.

"And when I am finished with that, I shall assail all your thik'ahi, and your breasts, and your behinds, most grievously with my tongue!"

They dissolved into helpless laughter all around him. "Master to be most cruel!" Akhahit cried. "First to plow us, then to mouth us!"

"What have we done to deserve such harsh treatment!"

"Please tell us, Master--how may we ensure that we are properly punished in the future?"

"Yes! Tell!"

"This is easy," Mahakhi gruffed. He pinched Dji'it's cheek and she let out a tiny shriek. "My little flower will demonstrate what you must do. Should you commit the acts she does, you will be ensured my harshest punishments!"

Their laughter only grew. Dji'it's face flushed red with pleasure. He took her arm and brought her closer to him, while the other three moved out of his way; a rumble rose in his throat and he licked her neck and her tiny breasts. She shuddered within his grasp and he grinned at her.

"You, too, have been a most bad little Moru...are you ready to get that which you deserve?"

The young Moru squirmed in his grasp. "Please, punish me as you see fit, Master...but be gentle with me!"

Crows of laughter. Mahakhi pulled Dji'it close to him and parted her opening with his fingers. He liked the feel of her juices, and brought his fingers to his lips to taste. Most delicious. With a satisfied grunt he lifted her hips and impaled her upon himself, relishing her high-pitched cry as she fell over backwards. Her legs locked around his hips, her body forming a triangle with the bed, her buttocks pressed to his groin and her arms stretched upon the pillows; with her positioned thus he fulfilled his promise, and plowed her hard and deep, the laughter and cries and moans of all of his females spurring him on. For a while they laughed softly and touched each other all over, commenting upon Dji'it's choice punishment, eventually drifting toward their master again, touching him, rubbing his wings, parting his own buttocks and lifting his tail to lick and nuzzle at him themselves. He snorted, beyond excited. His females...they were always so creative, and generous. And willing.

"Master, to all be deserving of your punishment now?" Akhahit asked.

"Yes, Master, to tell us please...Moru to offend you with our forwardness?" queried Simit.

"If you say yes, we shall only continue, rebellious Moru that we are!" added Thibu'het.

The big Kana gruffed at them. "You are very disobedient little Moru, and you shall ALL be punished--as soon as I can work up the energy to do so properly!"

Their laughter delighted him. He could never have asked for better Moru than these; when he was done, he would keep his threat, and plow them all, for as long as he could hold out. He continued thrusting into his sweet little Dji'it, lusting over her tightness and enjoying her smooth hot feel as much as he enjoyed the cool hands of the others upon his skin, caressing his testicles and his wings, the warm wet tongues poking within his anus, and the lovely pleasured sounds of his dear little ones. This was his favorite time of all.

He was certain Simit, Dji'it, Thibu'het, and Akhahit agreed.

* * * * *


"We must do something. Quickly."

"I agree, I believe we all do...but what is there that we can do?"

The Kana captains sat gathered in a rough circle around the table, and though it was stacked high with food, this was nearly forgotten. They picked at their fruit and stared aimlessly off into space. The news Lord Ahen and the two lieutenants had brought them had made them not feel like eating much anymore. It was the night after the gruesome discovery in General T'uris's household, and the Kana had known something was up when they had all been invited to an unplanned dinner at Ahen's house. Although Ahen was known to be generous, he was not the most sociable Kana. The few jokes he'd gotten from the other captains as they arrived had quickly died down as the real reason for the meal was given in bits and pieces, and by now the food was almost forgotten.

"I noticed a situation with the lack of raids," one captain with gray fur said. "I knew yet I said nothing. What sort of Kana am I? I may as well have those poor Moru's blood upon my hands myself."

"He is the general!" another snapped. "What could we have done before now? One needs good reason before even thinking of disposing of a general!"

A third snorted. "Does this sound like 'good reason' enough for you, then?"

They started squabbling a little. Ahen sat at the head of the table and waited for the argument to abate, a slight gesture making Ahai'ikh and Nehef, the only lieutenants present, hold their tongues. They knew from observation that the captains of the grand tribunal had a tendency to fight amongst themselves the more upset they got, but still the bickering irritated them.

A stout captain picked up a grape and ate it as if it were the last of its kind. "With the way that fool leads us, we'll all be dead by the next season."

"We have not had a successful raid under him in months!" came another voice.

"Perhaps he simply feels his age..."

"Nonsense. He is now, has always been a fool. Blind luck led him to seize control here. Perhaps the previous leader was as much a fool as he is."

The bickering rose again, but only briefly, before abating, leaving the Kana staring again at the food. Ahen shifted one wing.

"So we are agreed," he said gravely. "We must have a new leader."

The other Kana murmured, looked at each other, and finally nodded. Deposing unworthy rulers was common, yet incredibly risky. And they had no idea how much luck might be on their side, or not. Treason was one of the worst offenses--the mere mention of such an act was enough to incur a swift and harsh punishment--and none of them particularly felt like becoming Moru for any cause. Even as they agreed to this extreme measure a few of them started murmuring in dissent yet again; the debating had gone on for a few hours so far, and Nehef ground his teeth in frustration. One or two of the captains still seemed reluctant to speak against the general, and theirs had been the most vocal arguments that night.

"Deposing the general is not a decision one can make in one meeting alone!" one of the dissenters exclaimed. "Do you really think we have gone over every possibility in these few spare hours--?"

"We have talked enough!" the gray captain snapped. "Now is the time for action! Before we ALL starve to death!"

"Perhaps his Moru died of the illness! Did you ever think of that?"

Nehef's ears flared and he stood up before Ahen could stop him, crossing an arm to his breast. "With respect, Lord, I believe I know what starvation looks like! Unless the illness has gained the strange ability to consume entire limbs from the body!" Ahai'ikh tugged on his tail and he sat again, though not before earning a few glowers from both proponents and opponents alike.

"Even so," the first dissenter continued. "These were Moru--replaceable. Perhaps all we need to do is speak with General T'uris, and convince him of the absolute necessity of a raid...there is hardly any need for more drastic action..."

"Others have tried speaking with him. He does not listen," Ahen said. The lieutenants looked at him with some surprise. So far, Ahen had mostly kept from the arguments altogether.

The first dissenter glared at him. "Well, perhaps you have asked in the wrong way."

"All of this goes without saying how foolish such an action as this could be!" a second dissenter added. "We can safely assume that most of us have not even participated in an overthrow. We do not even understand all the risk involved."

One of the captains who had spoken up before fidgeted. "Still...if we do not take this risk...then should we have to live with the greater risk of continuing to live under General T'uris?"

This time the Kana grumbled and pushed their food away with distaste, as if the very name made it smell bad.

"The old fool...starving us all to death, when we have served him so loyally!"

"If we get rid of him, then someone must take his place," the gray captain said, quietly, as if afraid of being shouted down. "Who would this Kana be?"

They fell silent. They had never even thought of this problem. To fight for the right to lead was so common, they'd assumed that was how it would work. They started peering at each other oddly, as if expecting to be stabbed with daggers by their fellows right that moment.

Ahen finally spoke. "We must agree not to fight each other over this. To do so would divide us all, and we would all fail."

The tense looks grew relieved somewhat, and the murmuring rose anew, although a bit perplexed this time.

"Agreed," the gray Kana said. "We will not compete, as our tribe is already weakened enough as it is. Contest would only injure the East Tribe further."

"But who then will lead?" someone else asked.

"Someone who is capable. This is all I ask."

The stout Kana snarled. "Many of us are capable...how do we decide! This hardly narrows it down any!"

Nehef suddenly stood up again, his arm pressed to his breast. Everyone but Ahai'ikh gave him a dirty look, as it was not proper to have lieutenants present at a meeting of the tribunal captains, yet Ahen had allowed them in anyway. Nehef's forthrightness appeared to be getting on their nerves.

"Lords!" he exclaimed. "I know who among the captains of the East Tribe would be best able to lead us, and I am certain most of you will agree without hesitation!"

The gray captain's ear flicked. "You stated no such thing when we started here," he said. "You already have one in mind?"

Nehef nodded. "One has only to ask why he has not yet been made general. The position should go to Captain Mahakhi!"

The rest of the captains stared at him. Mahakhi's absence from the meeting had not been so obvious, until now. Nehef pressed on before they could say a word, making certain to keep his arm to his breast the entire time.

"With respect, Lords," he said, "I believe we can all agree upon this. Captain Mahakhi has always been the truly most powerful Kana within our tribe. He owns the most Moru, and he has the most combat experience."

The gray Kana put a finger to his muzzle. "True..."

Another captain made a face. "So why is he not already our leader?"

"I have heard it is only because he is not certain if he will be met with acceptance or opposition," the stout Kana replied. "Should we tell him we are for him, he will definitely win!"

"I myself have heard it is because he does not wish to be leader," someone said from the far end of the table. "There are times, such as these, when I cannot blame him..."

The stout Kana scowled. "You have a better plan?"

"He has trained most of us," another piped up. "He knows his business. With the proper support, he could have ousted T'uris long ago. He merely does not know how many of us would support him!"

"He has consorted with humans!" another spat. "I hear he has even coupled with one--that filthy human of Lord Nehekhi!"

Irritation flickered across Nehef's face. "So?" he snapped, drawing their attention. "This may personally disgust you and me, but is it any real indication of his leadership abilities?" He held out his arms. "Look, I appeal to you all. We will perish if T'uris continues to lead us! Lord Mahakhi is the best choice. If we must not fight among each other for this, then Mahakhi is the one."

A murmur of general agreement. The Kana nodded at each other and pulled their plates of food out again.

Ahai'ikh tugged on Nehef's tail and he sat down. "So we are agreed, friends?" Ahen asked. "Lord Mahakhi--he is the one you would choose to lead our tribe?"

"There are a few more problems," an elder Kana put in. "Lord Mahakhi himself is not here to agree. He may not wish to go along with us."

"We will allow him to decide," Ahen said. "We will not move ahead without his agreement."

"Also, although many of us detest T'uris, he has made wealthy some of the most powerful Kana in our tribe," the older captain added. "I doubt they would turn upon him so easily; they may not be among our esteemed ranks, but among the merchant class they are a formidable majority."

Nehef bristled and jumped up. "We are soldiers! You think we cannot deal with merchants--?"

"Lieutenant," Ahen said in a sharp voice, and Nehef sat down with a scowl. "We are here to explore every contingency possible. Every Kana receives military training; we should not write off the merchant class so easily." He turned to the other Kana, looking from one to the next in turn. All met his eyes and none spoke up.

"We shall simply look to the other tribes for support," he said, and everyone's ears pricked up, especially the lieutenants'. "Who do you know would support us in this effort?"

"Lord Nehekhi!" Nehef exclaimed, leaping to his feet once more; Ahen rubbed his eyes. "The Red Tribe and the East Tribe have always been as brothers. Just recently he visited, and shared words with Lord Mahakhi. I even overheard them speaking--I know Lord Nehekhi would assist if needed."

"I'm inclined to agree," someone replied. "He trained under Lord Mahakhi, and from what I've heard the two are...let us say, very close."

A few of them chuckled. Ahen frowned at them until they settled, then nodded.

"Lord Nehekhi, yes. I feel he could do much to help us. And who else may we trust?"

Ahai'ikh stood as soon as Nehef sat. "Captain Mahakhi's own men would not fail him. Though they report to T'uris directly, they serve their lord more closely. And we are not the only ones of General T'uris who will assist if needed. Lieutenant Hiath'ikh especially would be useful. He has much influence with the captain and the entire army."

"We must not forget Mahakhi's own men. A good point."

"Though they dwell far away from here, I feel that Captain K'tasai's people would prove helpful," the gray Kana mused. "He has always sided with Mahakhi in military moves, and I feel he disliked T'uris as well. I do not know how close the two of them are, but it would be worthwhile to try."

Ahen nodded again. "Very well then. We will send messengers to Lord Nehekhi and Lord K'tasai, and you--" he glanced at Nehef "--will speak with Lord Hiath'ikh yourself."

"Hold," the elderly Kana said. "I have thought of something. Quite radical an idea, but one worth consideration."

Ahen looked at him. "Speak then, Captain. What is it?"

The older Kana rubbed at his chin thoughtfully. "Lord Mahakhi is well liked not only among our own tribe, but even among others such as Nehekhi's and K'tasai's people," he mused aloud. "Neither of the generals of their tribes is very powerful; like T'uris, they send their strongest men into battle, to do all the work for them. And there is word going around that General Djiu himself is going mad."

Nehef nodded vigorously. "This I have heard as well!"

Ahen waved to silence him. "Your point is?"

The older Kana steepled his fingers, gaining a crafty look. "My point is...perhaps our idea of a coup against T'uris is a bit narrow for our focus. Why should Lord Mahakhi stop at that, when he could include two, perhaps three tribes under his rule?"

The room went dead silent. The other Kana stared at him, unspeaking, eyes wide. None looked as if they could believe what they were hearing.

"A coup against T'uris, and Djiu?" one murmured.

Another Kana glanced at his neighbor. "Is this even possible...?"

The murmuring began again, more thoughtful this time. Nehef jumped to his feet and exclaimed aloud, "Believe me--Captains Mahakhi, Nehekhi, and K'tasai, with all of our men behind them, could make it possible! There is no one else with a greater chance of success." He crossed his arm to his breast in mock salute. "I do not know if the others would agree to accept Lord Mahakhi as their leader. But with the way things stand, I cannot think of why they would not!"

This pronouncement met with even louder murmuring, and the captains started looking at each other, their eyes lighting up at the thought.

"Our tribe...it would be the largest within the land!" someone exclaimed.

"All other tribes would live in fear of us," came another voice. "Even the Kemeti would be no match!"

"We would rule the entire area!"

At this the Kana started chattering excitedly. The prospect was very risky...but also sounded very good. They talked of the riches they would bring in, the increased trade, the greater number of Moru and goods they would possess. A literal dream come true!

Ahen had to stand and wave his hands to gain their attention. "We agree, we agree, then!" he called out, holding up his arms. "All of you are to speak with your own men--those who you know are loyal to you above General T'uris. Let them know only what is necessary for now. I will send messengers to Lords Nehekhi and K'tasai, and Lord Mahakhi will be spoken with." He paused, his face set. "We shall know the decision within the week!"

The rest of the Kana, barring the lieutenants, let out loud exclamations of approval, and all of them rose from their seats, a few sneaking some of the food from the table. They talked loudly as they went and Ahen made a face, as if hoping they would know when to fall silent. He looked back at Nehef and Ahai'ikh and raised an eyebrow at the two lieutenants.

"Well?" he said, and then snorted. "It has begun. The decision is in Lord Mahakhi's hands now."

* * * * *


A soft knocking sound came at the door, and then a voice called out quietly. "Lieutenant Hiath'ikh?"

Hiath'ikh lifted his head to look at the line of light coming in under the door, panting heavily. "Who is it?" he called back, trying to keep the tremor from his voice.

"Nehef. Are you busy?"

The Moru crouching beneath Hiath'ikh laughed silently. Hiath'ikh glanced down at the slave--a lithe, sinewy male--and felt the flush rising in his cheeks. Of all the moments to be disturbed, of course it would be like Nehef to do so when he had finally decided to bring a male back to his quarters. Not that he would have enjoyed being interrupted with a female any more, but aside from the night he had spent with Mahakhi and Nehekhi...and Thi'usa, and the human...he had never allowed himself to be with a male before. He had always wished to, yet the mockery for being sen'akha was something he'd never much wanted to face. Even in the human brothel, he had been with only females. Yet today for some reason, he had made up his mind and gone to the Moru quarters and looked about rather nervously, until noticing one of the males peering back at him with a more than curious look...and when he had risen to follow the lieutenant back to his room, Hiath'ikh glancing over his shoulder to see the Moru offer him a slight smile, he had decided this would be the night.

"I need to speak with you, Brother," Nehef called. Leave it to him to spoil a good evening.

Hiath'ikh sighed under his breath. He placed his hand on the Moru's hip to pull himself free, when the slave peered up at him with that same slight smile, and cocked an ear. Hiath'ikh blinked at him, then lifted his head toward the door again.

"Is it important--?"

"It rather is."

"Then give me a moment!" Hiath'ikh practically barked, his voice nearly cracking. He heard a shuffle outside the door and imagined Nehef backing away with a puzzled look--Hiath'ikh wasn't normally one to lose his patience. However, he'd never been interrupted in the middle of nesakh'ai before, either; no wonder Lord Mahakhi was often so peeved if this was what he had to put up with. He gripped the Moru's hips and his mate responded by leaning his head back down against the pillows, bracing his spread legs and supporting the Kana's weight as he thrust at him, more quickly than before. Hiath'ikh hated going fast, as they had been enjoying each other so much, but his embarrassment over being caught rather dampened those feelings. Fortunately the Moru didn't seem to mind the tempo he set, and Hiath'ikh focused his attention on the way he strained slightly, digging his claws into the sheets; he leaned over him to lightly bite his nape, hearing the Moru's responding gasp and feeling him tighten just a little before going limp. He kept his jaws clamped over the back of the Moru's neck as he rapidly pushed, hugging his mate's hips to his own and cupping the Moru's testicles in his hands. The Moru whimpered; Hiath'ikh began letting out a very soft grunt of strain with each quick push.

"Brother--?"

Hiath'ikh squinched his eyes shut and gritted his teeth, biting harder into his mate's nape. The Moru yelped and Hiath'ikh spurted inside him abruptly, making them both tighten in response, hips quivering, before loosening again. The lieutenant let go of his mate's neck and the Moru slipped to the bed, panting hard; Hiath'ikh pushed himself up weakly, trying to catch his breath. He'd never mated so quickly before, nor had to end it so suddenly; once this night was done he would have to give Nehef a good thrashing for that alone.

"'Thikh, are you even awake--?"

"Would you hold on a moment?" Hiath'ikh snapped. He heard the other Kana mumble under his breath and took this opportunity to get to his feet. He wiped the sweat from his brow and tried smoothing down his rumpled kilt--he hadn't even bothered removing it, before he and the Moru had collapsed upon his bed with their hands all over each other--in an effort to appear not as aroused. He wrinkled his muzzle at the thick scent of sweat and musk in the air, yet there was nothing he could do about that. He took a brief moment to lean toward the Moru and touch his face, when the slave pressed his muzzle to Hiath'ikh's; the Kana paused even longer than he'd intended as they kissed each other, their tongues caressing. The Moru pulled away only when Nehef started knocking again, and gave the faint smile which made Hiath'ikh's breath pick up yet again; he had to turn away and head for the door before he decided to climb atop him again right then and there.

He reached the door, taking one last quick swipe at his kilt--he cringed to feel that his sheath was swollen again despite his best efforts--and then opening the door a crack, glaring out at the other Kana. Nehef met his glare with one of his own, and flared his nostrils.

"Well, it is about time! I've only been knocking for perhaps a half hour!"

"Not even ten minutes!" Hiath'ikh retorted. "What is so important as to wake me up now?"

"You've never been much of one for sleep, so I fail to see why you're so peeved now!" Nehef took a quick sniff and his ears twitched. "Oh, I see. So you are not such a prude after all! I was wondering when you'd ever allow yourself to get lucky!"

Hiath'ikh scowled. "What I do is hardly your business. What's your reason for pounding on doors this late at night--?"

He backed away with a cry of protest when Nehef pushed on the door, sticking his head inside the room and craning his neck. "And so who is the lucky Moru?" he exclaimed loudly enough to make Hiath'ikh wince. "I should like to see the one who actually made Hiath'ikh late to answer an important summons--!"

He abruptly cut himself off, blinking over Hiath'ikh's shoulder. Hiath'ikh darted a glance back to see the Moru stooping beside the bed, reaching for his kilt as he just finished tying his loincloth. The bedsheets were a mess. The slave peered up at them as he grabbed his kilt and wrapped it around his hips, giving them both a slight smile that was nothing like the one he had used on Hiath'ikh. Hiath'ikh turned back to look at Nehef, unable to keep himself from cringing.

Nehef stared at the Moru as he continued dressing, his ears flicking every which way. His brow furrowed and he peered at Hiath'ikh as if suddenly unsure what to say, then coughed into his hand.

"Ah...well..." He coughed again, and straightened himself up. "At least you are finally living a little! All the Moru under this roof, and only now do you finally decide to try one out. I hope it was worth your while because I have some news that will keep you busy for a bit!"

Hiath'ikh let out his breath, feeling more than a twinge of relief. He shook off the feeling and stood up straighter himself, taking more time to adjust his kilt and lappets, which had gone askew sometime during the act. "What sort of news?" he demanded. "It is just like you to bring news at the stupidest times!"

"Well, I cannot help it that you seek out a Moru at the stupidest time, Brother! But this time I am not fooling. Ahai'ikh and I sought out Lord Ahen tonight. To have a little chat."

Hiath'ikh's face had started screwing up at the mention of Ahen's name; now he waved and grimaced.

"Do not tell me you told him--!"

"Yes, I did--but do not look at me like that, Brother. 'Hikh and I happened to have very good proof that T'uris should no longer be our g--" He had to cut himself off when Hiath'ikh clapped a hand to his mouth, and batted it away with annoyance. "You are so paranoid! I'm telling you, everyone in this house is for ousting T'uris. We just finished speaking with the captains of the grand tribunal, and--"

"The grand tribunal?" Hiath'ikh cried. "Are you absolutely mad?"

Nehef rolled his eyes. "Ahen thought the same thing of us, till we showed him exactly what has happened to Lord T'uris's Moru!" he retorted; when Hiath'ikh frowned in confusion he waved at the air. "'Hikh will fill you in on the sordid details...needless to say it was more than enough to convince them. All we need do now is speak with Lord Mahakhi--he is the only one of note who was not present at the time, and that only because..." He trailed off and his eyes wandered. "Well, I take it he is busy with other things."

"Lord Mahakhi was planning on spending the night with his favorite females," Hiath'ikh said. "He expressly stated he wanted no interruptions! Are you certain this is decided in his favor--? Positively?"

Nehef nodded. "I have not a doubt. The only detail left is to inform him ourselves. Lord Ahen and the rest are already speaking with their men, and preparing for whatever should happen. They have agreed not to fight each other--only T'uris, and only if Mahakhi should oppose him. All but two of the grand tribunal were with us, and those two, well, they did not seem so inclined to help T'uris out, either. Every Kana has a stomach to feed!" He gave Hiath'ikh a pointed look. "Well, Brother? What do you say? 'Tis only the moment we've been waiting for, isn't it?"

"What do you need me for?" Hiath'ikh asked, hearing his Moru moving around behind him.

"What do we always need you for! You are the brains in this tribe, are you not?--plus you are more than good at talking sense into the senseless. I think Mahakhi's men would listen to you far more than they would to me. As for me, Ahai'ikh and I are needed back at T'uris's house--we'd best show up sometime, else he might just drag his head out of his ass and grow suspicious!" He elbowed Hiath'ikh's arm. "We spend far more time here than we do in his company, and Mahakhi does not even pay us."

Hiath'ikh flicked an ear. The sound of the vague plan didn't appeal to him...yet he had seen the slim selection in the market, and the growing unease of the tribe, firsthand, and the pain in his own stomach still nagged at him. He mulled over the suggestion for a moment or two while Nehef waited a bit impatiently; before he could speak, however, he felt something slip into his hand, and glanced down to see that someone was holding it. A look back showed him the Moru staring back at him. Hiath'ikh stared at him in return, then turned to Nehef, who was peering from one to the other. He raised one eyebrow and Hiath'ikh let out a small sigh.

"Very well," he said. "I will speak with the rest of Lord Mahakhi's men...but you will have to convince Lord Mahakhi yourself. He'd best hear it from the lieutenants of T'uris, and there is no way you are convincing me to set foot in there and get my hide flayed."

Nehef's face burst into a big smile. "All right then! Consider this our deal. I can accept a measly flayed hide in exchange for endless food and beer and Moru. And you, well..." He nudged at Hiath'ikh's arm. "You should think of bringing back a few more Moru. You will wear him out!" And with this he turned and walked lightly away from the room, the Moru smiling and Hiath'ikh flushing as he left.

* * * * *


The hallway was draped in silence. Nehef's and Ahai'ikh's sandals made the only noise, and the two flinched occasionally at the loudness of it. A pair of guards stood outside Mahakhi's quarters, though the hour was so late they were not even joking with each other; when they saw the other lieutenants approaching they stepped forward and the four of them formed a small huddle, whispering to each other. When the huddle broke, Mahakhi's guards turned and walked away down the hall, still whispering and gesturing. Nehef glanced at Ahai'ikh.

"At least we know whose side they are on..."

"Easy," Ahai'ikh said. "They are on the side of he who will not starve them to death."

"Though he has nothing against hoarding his Moru..." Nehef murmured, and knocked quietly at Mahakhi's door. He waited a moment, then called out, "Lord Mahakhi?"


As expected, there was no reply. Mahakhi could be a sound sleeper when he wanted to, especially when he had good reason to be. The two Kana fidgeted. They disliked the idea of waking up whoever he had selected to share his bed this night, yet pounding on the door was likelier to rouse all the females rather than their master. After a few moments Nehef carefully pushed the door open and crept inside, Ahai'ikh pausing before following.

"I hope you know what you are doing, Brother!" he hissed; Nehef ignored him and they silently made their way to Mahakhi's bed.

The captain slept in the large bed near the center of the room, the gauzy drapes around the canopy not completely obscuring the forms lying within. He lay on his side, snoring lightly, two of his females held close to him in his arms, one draped over his shoulder; a third lay sprawled atop them, in the opposite direction, one leg thrown over the whole group. The tangled sheets were damp with their sweat and fluids; the musky reek made Nehef's muzzle crinkle. Ahai'ikh caught sight of one of the females' pudenda, still red and distended, and nearly coughed out loud before Nehef nudged him and did the coughing for him. He spoke louder.

"Lord Mahakhi...? We must speak with you."

The Kana snorted in his sleep. Ahai'ikh leaned toward the other lieutenant and murmured under his breath, "I do not think I have ever heard of one Kana being with so many females at once. I do not even wish to imagine how he did it!"

"You are a prude," Nehef replied. One of the females--the young one sprawled atop the bunch--opened her eyes on hearing their whispering and blinked groggily. As soon as she could make them out she gave a tiny gasp and rolled from the top of the breathing heap, landing in a muddle in the sheets. She brought her arms up to cover her tiny breasts, and Nehef saw Ahai'ikh blush furiously. He opened his mouth to address her when he noticed her tugging hurriedly on Mahakhi's wing.

"Hmph?" the Kana grunted, yawning widely. He turned his head lazily and frowned. "Dji'it? Why do you rise so early, you wish for another round?...what are you waving about?" His gaze followed the direction of her pointing and he saw Nehef and Ahai'ikh, who both saluted and bowed to quickly hide the looks on their faces.

"Nehef? Ahai'ikh?" Mahakhi's frown grew and he sat up, careful not to send any of the Moru sprawling to the floor. He pulled Akhahit off his shoulder and settled her on the bed, where she snuggled next to her companions. "Why are you here? What time is it?"

"Apologies, Lord," Nehef said. "It is barely past the fifth hour of the day."

"The fifth hour?" The anticipated scowl started to come to Mahakhi's face now. "I am expected at no training exercises today, thus there is no reason to rise early. If you hadn't noticed, I had intended to sleep in." He waved his hand at the dozing females. "And I am pretty certain I gave this information to my guards," he added.

Nehef offered another bow. "We apologize again, Lord...but we had an important matter we wished to discuss with you. It cannot wait."

Mahakhi gave them a critical stare, then heaved a sigh. "Very well," he said, and the lieutenants relaxed slightly; the activities of the night before must have left him in a better mood than usual. "I hope it is not important enough that I must go as I am," he said as he rose to his feet. Nehef quickly shook his head.

"Of course not, Lord...please, finish what business you must..."

The two lieutenants retreated to the doorway. Mahakhi yawned and stretched his wings, scratching the space between them and then stepping away from the bed. Dji'it leapt up and followed him as he made his way to his wardrobe boxes to select some clothing, as he was still naked, the soft black sheath and sac swaying between his legs. He washed himself at the basin while the Moru laid a uniform out and then helped him put it on and anoint himself, before giving him his pectoral. He gave her a scratch to the jaw and a quick kiss before swatting her lightly on the behind, sending her back to the bed where the other three were slowly coming to, rubbing their eyes and sitting up. Nehef and Ahai'ikh watched them all from the doorway, saying nothing. The Moru were still half-dazed with sleep, eyes heavy and jaws slack; they would have been an excellent diversion for the morning. Still, Mahakhi turned from them and approached the lieutenants, rubbing at one eye.

"I hope it's important," he groused peevishly; Nehef saluted.

"It is, Lord; please, come with us to the war room."

Mahakhi sighed but obeyed, and the three Kana turned and left the quarters, as well as what otherwise might have been an ordinary day, behind.


Continue:

"Lost Chapter 1: Decoy


Please REVIEW if you rate.
Please DO NOT rate if you won't review.
Thank you!



This item is NOT looking for literary critique. I already understand spelling/grammar, and any style choices I make are my own. Likewise, I am NOT seeking publication, so suggestions on how to make this publishable are not being sought.

This item IS looking for people who are simply interested in reading, especially in long/multipart stories, and who like to comment frequently. My primary intent is to entertain others, so if you read this and find it entertaining, please let me know so and let me know why.

If in the course of enjoying the story you do find something that you feel could use improvement, feel free to bring it up. Just know that that's not my primary purpose in posting this here.

If you have any questions about the story or anything within it, feel free to ask.

I do hope you enjoy! :)

© Copyright 2002 Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight (tehuti_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/512965-Part-16--Corruption