*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/513035-Youre-so-beautiful
by Veneno
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Arts · #513035
Entry for a contest. It won no prizes!
“You are so beautiful.”
Yes, she thought, no other word could describe it better. ‘Beautiful’. Iris Donson stared at her own creation, mopping her dirty hands on her overall, fully aware of the fact that if anybody got a glimpse of the sculpture she had just called like that, would undoubtedly take her for a mental. She was staring at the malicious eyes of something that looked like a wooden cat, ready to attack and kill an invisible victim. Yes, thought Iris, her lips twisting into a satisfied smile, you may not look exactly like a cat, but I see what I wanted to see in your eyes: Evil. Yes, evil, mixed with an immense desire for the prey…
Knock, knock.
Transfixed in the feline figure, Iris did not even hear the door.
Knock, knock. BOOM!
“IRIS!” bellowed a husky voice behind the fir wood, bringing the sculptress back to reality. “Come on, it’s Dean! Open up!” Iris walked gently to the door and unlocked. Why do I always lock when I work? She wondered. She was notorious for her inability to explain most of her actions, so she didn’t bother much. The door flung open, revealing a muscular, dark, young man that had been standing behind it, obviously for quite long. Dean Waters sighed in relief and strode into the room, bursting into questions as he always did.
“Where is Sue? And what is this brown thing over there? And why do you always take so long to open up when I decide to drop by?”
First question is always about Sue…thought Iris trying to conceal her disappointment. Then the work – at least he noticed it – and then, me. Called six times? Oh, he never called. He knew Sue wouldn’t be here and he didn’t call. And loudly, “I was here all the weekend. And that’s supposed to be a cat. As for Sue, she’ll be here in about…forty minutes,” she said glancing at the silver clock above the rest of her work, in the far end of the room. “She gets off work at five. The owner of Road Trip Vegas never lets his waitresses leave earlier. You know how fussy he is, that old codger.”
Dean looked most distressed.
“Are you going to stay?” dared Iris. “Sis won’t be too long, but you’ll have to put up with me for forty painful minutes.”
The wrestler smiled politely. At least he realizes it would be too rude to leave, said Iris to herself. But then her expression changed as she remembered Dean’s last words on the phone. “My car is in the garage,” he had said, “so I will probably come by bus…” And there was no bus to his hometown for another two hours. She gave a deep sigh of frustration, as she also realized that she had nothing to offer him. Dean gave a light cough.
“Err... actually, there are two friends of mine downstairs,” he said pointing at the door. “We would go out with Sue and…”
“…tell them to come up here,” Iris interrupted him, talking faster than she ever imagined she could. “There are no drinks or food up here, but I can order something from the tavern next door… Please?” she added, putting her thoughts into words, “I really got no company these days, would you mind to…” She paused deliberately, her enormous hazel eyes reflecting his.
“I don’t know… I guess it would not be that bad,” he said softly, watching her face growing gloomier every second. “What’s today’s special?” he added with a grin.
Iris frowned trying to remember, while her friend had already picked up the receiver and dialed. “Hey, John, it’s Dean… yes, I’m at Iris’s… What do you have for today?” The voice at the other end of the cable gave its answer. “Ok, then… I would like five T-bone steaks, please… Yes, and French fries and cokes…” he rang off and turned to the young woman, “Alright, I’m dropping by to pay and call the others. Now, you sit here and throw a piece of cloth on the table. I’ll be back in five minutes…” he said, banging the door behind him and running down the stairs.
Iris stared at the door, which stared blankly back at her. Was he mad? Or she was the mad one? Oh, she didn’t care. In a few moments, they’d be together, not alone, but together. And she would just gaze at him and listen to his husky voice and watch him drink his coke. She turned to the cat and gently stroked her snout with her long fingers. The malice was still in its eyes, but, strangely enough, she looked as if it was smiling. “Please, Sue…” whispered Iris, “be late…”

(You're sentenced contest: Write a short story or poem containing these sentences:
- Are you going to stay?
- My car is in the garage.
- She gets off work at five.
- I would like five T-bone steaks, please.
- You are so beautiful.
- Road trip Vegas

© Copyright 2002 Veneno (iouliasp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/513035-Youre-so-beautiful