*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/517419-Part-51--Fury
Rated: XGC · Serial · Fantasy · #517419
Djuta receives good news--but the happiness does not last long...
DISCLAIMER: Underage character(s) involved.


Note: This item has been rewritten and edited. All text in rose is BRAND NEW MATERIAL for this chapter of the story. In addition there are many minor changes to the original text itself. Please enjoy this new, expanded version of Part 51 and be on the lookout for updates to the next parts!



LIEUTENANT DJUTA'S HEAD hurt, and at the moment, he couldn't seem to find Resikh.

The last he had seen of him had been when he'd been conscripted to see to the enemy lieutenant, and ever since, the other Kana seemed to have vanished. He searched the household, and even went back into the town to browse the taverns, but Resikh was not to be found there. Where would he go? By now it was growing late, the darkness settling in, and the taverns were loud and raucous with their patrons, the noise making his ears ring. He even found Lieutenant Tefkha in one, but even he had not spotted Resikh anywhere. "Perhaps you should put him on a leash, Brother," he suggested, before crowing with laughter along with all of the others with him, as Djuta turned and left.

"Perhaps someone should put you on a leash, you lush," he muttered as he strode back up the street toward Mahakhi's household. By now he was in a very foul mood indeed, and even if he had managed to find Resikh at last, he doubted he would be good company.

He slowed his step and rubbed at his eyes as the great household came into view. They had finally managed to find a bit of time to properly be together for the first time in weeks, and it had ended so lousily...with an alarm, no less. He bit the inside of his mouth when he remembered how Resikh had plunged into him and made him scream before the alarm came, and winced to himself. It was true that Resikh was usually the one to receive...but it was not as if it were the first time Djuta had received, and it had never hurt like that, no matter how much or how little they'd done to prepare themselves. He found himself wondering if Bakh'asu had ever made him hurt that badly. Oddly enough, he couldn't seem to remember.

Why am I even thinking of that dog? He is long dead and gone. Resikh has nothing to do with him. It was just an accident. If I could only find him anywhere, I'd make sure to tell him this again. That look on his face...

He could tell that the other Kana had blamed himself, and this made him wince again.

Djuta--I should have used some oil--! I did not--

It is all right, Res.

But...I did not mean to...

Will you not believe me when I say to forget it? As if I have never felt worse...?


Djuta opened his eyes and sighed heavily. He had been too tense. That was what had truly happened. But how to best tell one's mate that they were feeling too tense for nesakh'ai when they hadn't even been together in weeks...?

He trudged up the steps into the household, head hanging. Perhaps it was a sign that he couldn't find Resikh anywhere. He remembered that he had not seen to Rithukh'het in a while, and so went to visit her in the Moru quarters; the chubby Moru welcomed him gladly, and he would possibly have spent all night mating with her right there before all of the other slaves, her lustful giggles aroused him so. Yet he then remembered someone else he had neglected seeing to that night so far, and had to reluctantly leave her, nuzzling at her neck and stroking her flushed face before he smoothed himself down and left. He hated the disappointment in her eyes that he had to go, and sensed that she wanted to tell him something, but when he glanced back at her she managed a smile and waved.

"Master to be busy?" she called, and her smile grew, her cheeks dimpling. "Rithukh'het to be ready when you come back!"

He didn't know when that might be, but her cheer comforted him a little, and he managed his own slight smile as he waved her farewell and at last returned to his own quarters.


Khetai was not particularly talkative when he came to her, but then again, she never had been. He spent only a brief time preparing her, as they had agreed; he found her willing to kneel this time, and so gladly placed himself atop her. He grunted and pushed at her a bit more quickly than usual, barely even noticing the glazed look her eyes took on, the increase in her own breath. He swayed so his lappets swung, eyes shut and his hands pawing her breasts. They coupled for about fifteen minutes before he spurted inside her. And even though he could easily have taken her again, still they parted and lay back on the bed, panting at the canopy as they always did, preparing for the silence that always came afterwards. Djuta let his eyes drift shut and considered sleep, even though he kept thinking about Resikh, and also about the newcomers. Which was why he was startled when he felt Khetai take his hand and draw it toward her. He opened his eyes and glanced at her.

"Khetai?" he questioned, puzzled to see her staring back at him in the dimness. "What is it?"

She appeared to want to speak, but nothing came out. He saw that her eyes were damp, and felt a brief surge of anxiety. Had he hurt her--? Before he could ask, she clasped his hand between her own, then guided it down her body.

Djuta frowned. "You wish for more...? I thought you did not like it this way..."

His voice trailed off as soon as he noticed that she had stopped pulling on his hand. Instead she let it go, and he found his palm resting against her belly. He stared at his own fingers for a time, before lifting his eyes. He dared to meet her own.

"I left the quarters yesterday," she murmured, "while you were gone."

Djuta's brow furrowed. "You left--?" He pushed himself up onto his elbow. "You endanger yourself doing this! You know this, do you not--? What if someone like that U'heta dog comes upon you--?"

Khetai flushed. "I--I was gone only a few moments, I swear it," she stammered, averting her eyes. "I did not wander about. I...I went to see the physician."

Djuta's look of confusion grew. "Why did you go to see him--? Are you ill? I thought you had said--"

He cut himself off as soon as he noticed that she had reached out to clasp his hand again, which he'd started to draw back toward himself. His own fingers curled in so his claws grazed her belly and she flinched. He saw her bite her lip, and then he knew.

The fur on the back of his neck prickled and his ears flared. His eyes fixed on hers.


"You are...?"

Khetai's eyes brimmed. She couldn't suppress the radiant smile that crept up her face. As it grew, Djuta felt a funny rising feeling in his breast; he sat up, clasping her hand, and she sat up with him. They stared at each other for a moment before he could find his voice and stammer, "When--when? And how--?"

"I went to see the physician," Khetai repeated herself, then squeezed his hand. "Please do not be angry with me for leaving, I went only there, and came straight back. Rithukh'het came with me. I have felt so ill lately. He made me urinate over some seedlings. When he showed them to me later on they had sprouted! It is finally true! I--" She trailed off, unable to continue, and just shook her head, the tears building up in her eyes. Djuta squeezed her hands back and finished for her.

"You are having a child."

Khetai nodded wildly, and then started to laugh and cry at the same time. Djuta's own face split open in a grin and he laughed and clasped her to him. They embraced each other tight, rocking back and forth and making a din fit to awaken the whole household. When Djuta pulled his head back Khetai did likewise, sniffling and beaming and rubbing at her eyes. She gave him a grateful look, which somehow made him feel awkward, and he had to avert his eyes and rub at his neck.

"Djuta," she said, and he made himself meet her eyes; she rarely ever called him by his name or by any title. "I will not forget everything you've done for me. I know that I was bitter toward you in the beginning. I am sorry. You have helped me, so very much. I can never repay you in any way."

Djuta flushed. He rubbed at his neck again. He suddenly felt very awkward being near her, and wished that they were not in bed together, still naked. "I have done only as I felt you deserved. I did not wish to see them flay your wings and sell you on the block, especially not after all you have done for this tribe. You did not deserve this."

"Still, you were within your own troubles, and yet you stopped to help me from my own." She took his hands and pressed them to her chest, even though the heat rose in his face; she clasped his hand right between her breasts. "I will always bear a great debt to you. A tremendous debt!"

"You saved my own life--do you remember?" he blurted out. Anything to stop the praise. He traced his fingers over the slight scar still left on his breast. "I will consider this the payment you owe me, and so now we will both be in the clear. As soon as you bear it, I will do exactly as I have promised. I will take you to the river, and from there you may find your own way to wherever you wish to go. You can get yourself a completely fresh start, somewhere better than this, should you wish."

Tears streamed down Khetai's face. "I can never thank you, Djuta," she murmured, her voice faint. "Even if I have saved your life. I will find a way to repay you, someday, I promise."

"You will simply find your new home," Djuta said, and at that she fell silent. "That is all I wish from you."

Khetai stared at him for a moment, then nodded. She smiled shyly, and he reached for the sheet, to cover her breasts. For the moment, it was as if they had never once made love, and he found that he did not even mind.

* * * * *


Just because the enemy Kana had departed from the war room with an agreement to a duel did not mean that the war room was long to go empty. Bright and early the next day it was occupied again, by Mahakhi and his top captains, those of the grand tribunal; he sat in his chair and listened as they cautioned him concerning the enemy tribe awaiting outside their gates, and though he would far rather have been back in his room tending to more pleasurable matters, he did realize that this was necessary, considering the state of things. That did not mean that he didn't scowl all the way through all the talking, and look repeatedly toward the courtyard as if a bevy of beautiful Moru awaited him out there.

"I spoke at dawn with the guards atop the wall, General," Captain K'tasai said. "They say that the Kana below are behaving themselves so far, yet this situation may always change. Indeed they seem rather restless to be kept outside and in the dark."

"I was told a note had been sent them! How in the dark can they be?" Mahakhi demanded.

K'tasai shrugged. "Perhaps they would be thus, note or no note. They are in enemy territory, and they could very well have us surrounded should they choose."

Mahakhi snorted. "You believe then that that River Tribe captain would be so foolish as to allow this--? Even if he is gullible and stupid, I do not think he is quite that stupid."

"I would not put a thing past any of them, Lord," Captain Rik'hia advised. "You saw the way the younger two reacted. They hardly have any wish to obey the elder! If the rest of the army is the same, then why do we put up with them? We have the forces to wipe them out as they stand--"

"You have never had a mind for battle, Captain," Captain Ahen retorted, glaring at Rik'hia. "There are more of them than there are of us! Use your head for once! You would send this entire tribe to its death just to sate your suspicion!"

"Perhaps this is why he is merely a first class," K'tasai suggested, and though none of the captains dared laugh, a few of them did look mildly amused. Rik'hia scowled and opened his mouth but Mahakhi waved them silent.

"Enough. I could sit here and listen to you argue all day, and still not change my mind! I already made the agreement with Fe'kheru! If the old man wishes for a battle, then he will get one. At least I will not have to suffer the death of another one of my men--a captain much better than most of you," he muttered, earning a few shocked looks, but those captains who knew that they were in good standing with him didn't bother looking surprised. Mahakhi rose and stretched his wings. "Now I hate awakening so early unless it is for a much better reason! This entire meeting was a waste of my time. What any of you hoped to accomplish, I do not understand."

"At the very least, Lord," Ahen said, "you should triple the guard upon all the walls, and reinforce the watch with guards stationed all along the inside of the walls as well. And set scouts to follow the captain and his lieutenants as they wander about the tribe. It will hardly do to keep them cooped in here, yet they must be watched closely. And those at the gate must keep their eyes sharply upon those still outside lest they grow restless. I would suggest doubling the guard here within your own household as well, General."

Mahakhi snorted and waved at him. "You see? There is sound, useful advice. I have always been able to count on Ahen to be the voice of reason. Others of you...rather leave me in doubt." His eyes shifted toward Rik'hia and narrowed, then he turned for the door. "This meeting is dismissed. And do not call upon me until I shall decide to choose a time for this combat! This decision will be mine alone! I have better things to do with my time today."

The captains saluted him and turned to filter from the war room. Most of them murmured to each other, but Rik'hia dared to cast Mahakhi a dark look before exiting. Mahakhi ignored it. He had never much cared for the captain, and as he'd said, he did have better things to do.


He knew he should probably have been resting a bit more, or training, but he could not. Rest would not come. Even with as distracted as his mind was, he thought over the upcoming duel, and wondered when it should be held. He already knew the where--the market square, the very same place where the tribunal had met, would make an excellent spot. There, he and Fe'kheru would face off against each other, surrounded by all of their men; even Fe'kheru's, whom he would allow inside, unarmed, of course, to see their master fight. It was only the honorable thing to do; he would have his own men to cheer him on.

It irritated him that his advisors, even the stalwart K'tasai, all seemed nervous about the arrangement. Instead of feeling anxious or even angry, however, Mahakhi found that the prospect excited him. It had been too long since he had truly fought someone, hand to hand; and despite Fe'kheru's greater age, he knew the captain to be skilled; simply the way that he held his and Nehara's men in check proved that much, as an army would never obey an unskilled Kana. He would not have challenged Mahakhi otherwise, unless he were a fool. And Mahakhi knew he was no fool.

As he walked, and thought this over, he felt his heart swelling in his breast, and flared his wings; he snorted and picked up his pace so his sandals clacked harsh against the floor. He would go to the courtyard and train--not because he had to, but simply because he needed to get it out of his system. He felt a slight ache between his legs, and realized that the thought of battle had excited him in other ways as well; and so as soon as he reached his quarters he ordered the guard present to go to the Moru quarters and fetch him his mate Dji'it, and have her brought back to him for the morning. As the guard saluted and walked away he thought of the Moru and felt himself stir, then stepped inside his room and pulled off his loincloth.

Simit was already lying in his bed, drowsing tangled up in the sheets; even with as early as he had arisen, he had still managed to pass a bit of time with her before going to the war room, and he smiled at the lazy purr which arose when he bent down to scratch at her ear. "I hope you do not mind, pretty one, that I pass a little more time with your competition," he murmured to her affectionately, and she smiled and rolled over. "But I think you may need your sleep more than I!"

The Moru yawned. "Do not mind, Mahakhi-Master...Simit to just move aside and sleep a bit...will not even bother Lord." She smiled. "Unless Master to want me to."

Mahakhi bellowed with laughter. "We shall see! Things may yet come to this!" He tossed his loincloth aside, briefly considering taking off the rest of his clothing, then deciding against it; he wouldn't have much time to spend here, and it was best to keep it quick, unfortunately. He snorted and turned to look at the door.
He was erect already, which was why he had decided upon Dji'it's company; he knew her youth would serve his desires greatly. He felt powerful at the moment, potent and strong; the girl would surely bring out the best in him.

When she was brought to his rooms a short while later, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, he beamed at her and patted the bed beside him. She smiled and sprang forward, landing in his lap with a giggle. She looped her arms about his neck almost immediately and pressed her head to his breast.

"Lord! You haven't called me in so long. I thought perhaps you forgot about me!"

"Forget my little Dji'it?" Mahakhi scoffed, smiling and stroking her cheek. Her own smile grew. "I have merely been preoccupied; but we have perhaps a half hour free ahead of us, should you be so inclined."

Dji'it giggled. "Only a half hour, Lord? Then we will have to make great use of it!"

Mahakhi turned and lowered her to the bed, his tail swishing from side to side. Simit lay off to the side of them, yawning and spent; he did not care whether she intended to join them or simply watch, so long as he obtained his satisfaction. The girl's increasing giggles as he deftly and quickly removed her clothes were a good sign that he would. He nuzzled her neck, and slipped one of his fingers inside her to test her readiness. She was slick already; this was good.

"Are you ready to serve your master now, little one? Simply say the word, and I will make you one with me."

"Let me see what my master has to offer first," Dji'it teased, and giggled anew. Mahakhi chuckled.

"Saucy tart! Perhaps I shall have to spank your little bottom before we are through, for speaking to me like that. No matter. It is only what you will have to see anyway." He pushed himself up and loosened and removed his kilt, since it would likely get in the way during the act, as it was. His shaft bulged long and thick from his sheath and Dji'it's laughter grew hysterical, her ears turning pink. She squirmed as if being tickled and he grinned.

"A good enough look? I should hope so, because it shall be buried deep within you, where you cannot see it, the rest of the time we are here!"

The girl fairly cackled, laughing so hard that she was unable to speak. He was cheered that she was in a good mood. As he took her by her slender waist, turned her over, and positioned her beneath him, he saw Simit yawn again and stretch, sliding across the bed toward them. He snorted loudly as he bent over Dji'it.

"Do not giggle too greatly, little one, else you will wear yourself straight out before we are through!" He snorted again and lifted his tail when he felt Simit sniffing at his backside. She nuzzled between his legs, tongue flicking at his testicles; he parted Dji'it's own legs and bowed himself over her. "Take a breath now and ready yourself, little flower; I may not be quite so gentle as I usually am!"

She continued giggling, but obeyed, sucking in a breath and holding it as best as she could. He pressed his hips to hers, seeking purchase; he spent a moment fumbling impatiently before he finally found it, and Dji'it released her breath in a gasp as he pushed himself deeply within with a long sigh. He shut his eyes and let Simit's tongue dance over his opening for a moment before he began rocking upon his knees. His size dwarfed the girl, and she was almost enveloped beneath him, her frail body quivering in desire; this only fueled his desires even hotter, making him move faster. He growled softly as he enjoyed her feel, Simit's added ministrations filling him with heat. Perhaps he would take her again once he was done; he relished the thought of placing himself within the mouth of one, while mouthing the other. Yes, hakh'tua sounded good. It reminded him of what was sometimes done to vanquished enemies...and this reminded him, again, of his upcoming battle with Fe'kheru. He snorted and pushed heavily, wings flaring.

I will plow him over, he thought, even as he bared his teeth and plowed deeply into his whimpering mate. I will cut him down, and plow him over until he is dead. And with him, that insolent pup from the Yellow Sands Tribe. Perhaps I will spare the youngest one, as he only serves his master, and at least he shows respect. But the rest I will slice down as if they are mere river reeds. I will slice them down!

This thought brought his seed surging up inside him, sooner than he'd intended, and Mahakhi tossed back his head and bellowed furiously, claws digging into the Moru's hips as he gushed inside her. Dji'it bucked and wailed. "Master Mahakhi!" His name being screamed spurred a second orgasm, and he clenched the girl painfully tight as his seed dumped within her, Simit's tongue still working at him. Dji'it whined and whimpered and sank to the bed in a limp heap; the general let out his breath in a gust and was careful as he pulled himself from her, lest he injure her any more. Already she bled, just a little, and his grip had bruised her somewhat, but he knew she would be fine. She gasped for breath, sweating and trembling; his own chest heaving, he turned her over and then gently lifted her up, cradling her in his arms as if she were his daughter. She sighed and pressed her head to him again with a faint smile.

"Lord!" she whispered, her voice faint. "Something certainly excites you today!"

Mahakhi's nostrils flared and he smiled. "My little flower is observant. I think I will spare you that spanking after all." He tickled her chin and cherished the tiny giggle that she let out before she looped her arms about his neck again. He kissed her cheek. "You are spent. Take a small rest right here, out of the way so I do not accidentally kneel on you. I still have a bit of sap left within me and must find a way to draw it all out before the morning is through. You are all getting spoiled! You used to last much longer than this before!"

Dji'it's soft laughter continued. Simit, lying upon her back and stroking his thigh, smiled lazily. He caressed her breast before giving her a small kiss and rising to his feet, tossing on his kilt and reaching for his loincloth. Hakh'tua still appealed to him, but right now, he felt more invigorated than ever, the better with which to train and prepare himself for the fight. With how the Moru had made him feel today, he felt certain that he would call upon them again just before then, so he could be in top form to beat down Fe'kheru. This thought nearly made him grin, it appealed to him so much; there was no way the rest of this week could go poorly now.

Simit and Dji'it, seeing him retying his loincloth, both let out disappointed sounds, and rolled over onto their bellies, stretching out their arms to him pleadingly. Dji'it even pouted; Mahakhi smiled at them both as he dropped the hem of his kilt, covering himself up again.


"I will be gone only shortly today," he promised. "Rest assured! When I come back I shall most likely be satisfied. This does not mean that you both may not cuddle against me for comfort. A master must always provide for his little ones!"

Dji'it sat up and smiled. Simit blew him a kiss and swished her tail. "Please don't be gone too long!" the girl cried. "The bed grows cold already without you!"

Mahakhi's grin grew. "Hush, I have already promised I will be back soon. Take your rest! You will hardly notice I am even gone!" He cast them a final smile before turning and leaving his room, waving a short goodbye at the door. He saw the two females follow suit, before Simit rolled over and slid toward Dji'it. Even as he closed the door, he could hear the younger one giggling once more, and grinned to himself. Simit would keep her company until he returned.

With this, he strode on his way toward the central courtyard, his step quick and purposeful, and he even drew his sword and twirled it in the air in anticipation of the morning of training he wished to spend before he should pummel that River Tribe captain into the ground.

* * * * *


Rik'hia's step was hard and fast as he strode up the hall toward his quarters. He seethed as he stared ahead, watching the columns go by; months ago he had vowed to himself to finally build his own house in the city, away from the general's household, yet had always given himself reason to put it off. Now he wished that he had done it much sooner. Ahen had his own house; and even though he sometimes doubted the depth of Ahen's wisdom, at least that was one smart thing he'd done.

It galled him right now to be living under the same roof as Mahakhi, and he ground his teeth so much that they hurt. He passed the south courtyard, spotted the hata'tai captain sparring with his trainee, and spat on the floor, muzzle wrinkling. He turned away from them and clenched his fists.

"Stupid little sen'akha brat. This tribe's troubles wouldn't have grown so great if you'd just told the truth at that damned trial..."

The triple trial came into his mind again, though it had never left, and he felt like tearing the walls apart. Ever since that trial, the rest of the captains had made no small point of reminding him of his lesser status, and of jeering--albeit in a reserved, restrained way--at the way that Mahakhi had taken him to task before the entire tribunal. He could not help it that he was only a first class and the rest of them were elites. He had fully earned his rank, whereas he was fairly certain that most of them had bought or slept their way to their current stations. He knew he would be an elite today, if General T'uris were still alive.

It had seemed like a good idea, at the time, to help in the ousting of the old general, for he had certainly been losing his mind, poring over Kemeti scrolls like that; and Captain Mahakhi had seemed like the perfect replacement, both in appearance and temperament. So back then, Rik'hia hadn't minded the turnover.

That was before he'd realized what the other Kana's true stance on things was, and now he was stuck at being a first class, since the new general had shown no interest in promoting him, and had opposed his views every step of the way. He had even accepted the perjured testimony of that spoiled lieutenant! And that other lieutenant had gone free as a result! It was so obvious that Lieutenant Resikh had been lying through his teeth--why had Mahakhi accepted it? Rik'hia steamed as he wondered whether Captain Djetef had ever lifted his kilt for the general or not...

"Spoiled brats, each of them," he growled as he walked. "What was I even thinking when I accepted that cur as general! He will do nothing but run this tribe into the ground! The entire army is losing morale because of his actions! Duel with the enemy...what rubbish is this!"

He reached his quarters at last and flung open the door. The Moru who had been dozing in his bed popped upright with a snort and a groggy blink; Rik'hia didn't pay her any attention as he stormed across the room and snatched a jar of beer off of the table, shattering the seal and pouring its contents into a cup which he nearly cracked in his fist, he clenched it so hard. He downed it in two swallows, set it down with a clank, then refilled it, grinding his teeth the entire time.

"All was well with this tribe until lieutenants started mussing it all up! We should wipe out the entire class of them. Always thinking they are immune to every law, and causing no end of trouble!" He bared his tusks and growled, a harsh unpleasant sound. "I was not so foolish as a lieutenant!!"

He drank the beer and set the cup down hard again, this time cracking it; he turned toward the bed, nostrils flaring. The Moru stared at him uncertainly, holding the sheet up to cover herself; he barely even knew her name, had just selected her from the Moru quarters the night before. He detested now that he'd taken advantage of Mahakhi's household, and bared his teeth at her; she winced a little and began to sink down into the bed as if to disappear from view.

Rik'hia's expression grew positively ugly. "What are you staring at--?" he snapped; she ducked her head, but the look in her eyes had already peeved him. He strode toward her and snarled as she cowered in the sheets, but she didn't dare meet his eyes again.

"Do not think you are some sort of treasured pampered pet of mine now," he hissed. "I can just as easily dump you back in there whenever I choose! And fetch you out again! Stupid Moru! This entire house is spoiled rotten and everyone forgets their place!" He thought over their nesakh'ai of the night before, how it had not been much of anything special, and how she had even called out the wrong name when he'd come; his ears flared and he bared his teeth again, clenching his fists, an infuriated growl rising in his throat. "I do not know why it is that I work so damned hard for all of THIS piddling shit! Spoiled pups and lieutenants who lie under oath, spoiled captains who sneer at their brothers, spoiled Moru who cannot even show proper respect! I am sick of this entire house and this entire damned tribe!"

The Moru lifted her head and looked right at him, making him blink. "To take back to Moru quarters," she demanded, and Rik'hia cut himself off, gawking in disbelief. His mouth opened and shut several times, yet all that she did was continue staring at him.

"Wh...what--?" he finally managed, his voice nothing more than a harsh whisper.

"To ask for nesakh'ai. To not like nesakh'ai. To take away from pup. Have better things to do than sit and listen to captain complain!" The Moru's muzzle wrinkled. "To take back to Moru quarters if Lord to not like what he gets!"

The fur on Rik'hia's hackles prickled and his wings slowly flared. "You...think to...order me...?" he breathed, and rage began to surge up inside him again, filling him to overflowing. Ri'hus's, Resikh's, Djuta's, Ahen's, Mahakhi's faces all flashed before his eyes, and his vision very nearly went red. "A pissy little MORU thinks to ORDER me--?"

She opened her mouth as if to speak. Rik'hia didn't hear what she might have said. At that moment his hand met her face, and he backhanded her with a tremendous CRACK, her head spinning to the side as she almost comically fell over in a limp heap. For the briefest second he hoped that he had killed her; then she slowly started to move, weakly pushing herself up and lifting her head, wincing as she put a hand to her swollen cheek. A line of blood trickled from her mouth where he'd knocked a tooth loose and she opened her eyes, tears welling up in them.

Rik'hia's wings flared and he clenched his fists. "YOU THINK TO ORDER ME AROUND?" he bellowed, making her flinch. "PISSY LITTLE MORU BITCH! If I felt that asinine general would back me I would call YOU before the tribunal in a HEARTBEAT!"

The Moru lifted her eyes to look at him, and he saw the fear in them--but then her muzzle wrinkled and she bared her teeth, letting out an ugly snarl. Rik'hia took a staggering step back, gaping in astonishment. He had just enough time to blink and then attempt to regather his senses, balling his fist and lifting it to bring it rushing down at her head.

She didn't even bother cowering back this time. In an instant she was on her knees, her own fists clenched--she was naked yet made no attempt to cover herself up--and all of her muscles tensed, her ears flaring and hackles bristling. "Ti'hep'ha!" she snarled. "To have been through MUCH worse than what YOU can serve!"

Rik'hia's jaw fell open and he gasped, his eyes as round as saucers. He clacked his teeth together as he tried to speak, but the Moru, seeing his bewilderment, narrowed her eyes and crooked her claws menacingly.

"My mate to be much stronger and better than captain first class!" she hissed, and that was what decided Rik'hia on finally screaming for a guard to come and drag her back to the Moru quarters just so he would not be accused somewhere down the line of murdering her.

He paced back and forth, back and forth, clenching and unclenching his fists and gasping for breath as he tried to calm and keep himself from doing something that he knew he'd regret. He assumed that her "mate" was the one whose name she'd called out last night. And that mate was nothing but a Moru--once a Kana, but still now nothing but a Moru. She had dared to say that a MORU was better than he was!

"That does it," he growled as he paced, back and forth, back and forth. "NO MORE Moru from the general's stables. Vile disgusting disrespectful spoiled vermin! Every last one! Especially that wench! 'Been through much worse'--? I doubt you have been through what I wish I could put you through, pissy little wench! This is it! No more Moru from the general's stables!"

At the very least, no more Moru named Tai'ihet, that was. Or whoever else happened to be the mate of the one named Thi'usa. Rik'hia's memory rang with the husky cry she had let out on his climax, and with an enraged shriek he picked up his pectoral box and hurled it across the room. It shattered against the wall and spilled into a hundred pieces.

"Lord--?" a voice called from outside--a guard. "Are you well--?"

"I AM FINE!!" Rik'hia bellowed, but just to be sure, he tore down the drapes around his bed anyway. The rending sound of them tearing didn't quite manage to calm him, though, and he wished more than anything that he had a more appropriate party to take it out on. Some stupid spoiled Kana lieutenant. Or some pissy spoiled Moru bitch.

He forced himself at last to take a deep breath and let it out, wincing and stretching his wings. Perhaps all he would have to do was wait until Mahakhi's time came. At the very least, the general who might come after him couldn't be much worse. Perhaps that captain even might win against him, if he prayed hard enough. He would not mind serving a River Tribe general...if he was at least smarter and more respectful than this one was.

Rik'hia took another breath and let it out. He wiped a hand across his brow and gave a shaky sigh. He would pray, then. Perhaps, if the gods did exist, they would grant his one selfless request. And then maybe someday he would be promoted to elite. It could happen.

Keeping this thought in mind, he started pacing his room anew, sending up prayers against the general's success with every step.

* * * * *


Lieutenant Meteri paced the household as well, exploring what areas of it that he could, and carefully avoiding the guards every chance he had; every time they glanced in his direction he made a point of turning and heading in the opposite direction, just so he would not have to deal with them. He'd awakened early, unable to get back to sleep; he was used to waking up before the sun every day. Even though he'd completed his training, he still made a point of waking up at the same time, and practicing before the rest of the household could bother him; and so being stuck in this place rather bothered him, as it broke his routine. He felt rather out of sorts even as he investigated the household, finding nothing much out of place, simply because he had nothing better to do. He even made certain to peer into the kitchens, and the library, and the area behind the household where the prison cells were, though looking into those was out of the question considering the state of the guards. So it was not even noon yet and already Meteri was walking back past the courtyards and wishing that he had something useful to do.

He had gone to check in on Captain Fe'kheru, yet the older Kana had still been sleeping, and he hadn't wanted to bother him; he must be exhausted after the long journey, and considering his upcoming battle with General Mahakhi, he could use as much rest as he could get. Meteri chewed his claws as he thought over this. He wished that they had simply sneaked up on the tribe and wiped them out as they slept. This new change of plans did not sit well with him at all.

Lieutenant She'hekha had even gone so far as to buy a Moru for himself! Meteri hadn't seen him either just yet, but this thought made him scowl. What would happen next, would the army itself start singing songs and making beer outside the walls...?

He passed the south courtyard with its seemingly ever-present captain and trainee, pausing shortly to peer out at them; they didn't notice him. They were fighting with daggers and Meteri frowned a little when he saw how clumsily the younger Kana was handling his own; after several moments the captain said something to him, and turned to go inside the building while the private waited outside, scuffing his foot at the tiles. Only then did he lift his head and spot Meteri watching, and blinked.

Meteri's nostrils flared. "If you wish to keep a good hold on that dagger," he said a bit impatiently, "then you'll turn it the other way. You do not improve skills you do not have, you work on what you do have. Your arm strength is not so great, so you would do better at slashing than at stabbing."

The private blinked again, then looked down at his dagger. He turned it about in his hand and frowned a little while Meteri went on his way. If they all trained in such a manner he wondered how the River Tribe had ever been defeated in the first place. By the time that he made another circuit past the courtyard, the two were sparring again, and the private was holding his own much better now, at least judging by the surprised remarks the captain let out. Meteri lost interest in them and sighed as he wandered into the west hall, on his way toward the north.

This courtyard was empty, and he decided to wet his feet and rest for a while since he had nothing else to do. He itched to go out into the city, perhaps to see how the army was doing outside--he hated being separated from them, no matter whose tribe they were from--yet knew this would only bring trouble with the guards. All he could do was await Fe'kheru, and keep himself preoccupied until then. He walked across the tiles and sat down near the pool's edge, taking off his sandals and putting his feet in the water with a sigh, swirling them around. He stared at the patterns the water made on the bottom of the pool and wished that he were home again. Perhaps it would have been best to wait for the Great Red Tribe to come after them instead. At least then if he had to die, he would do so upon his own land. He didn't expect to die now but he still didn't like being here.

Pattering noises behind him made his ears flick and he turned his head. He scowled to himself to see another Kana entering the courtyard--so much for his few moments of privacy--and he immediately wished for him to go away. It took him a moment to recognize the young lieutenant from the war room and he blinked, brow furrowing; the other Kana didn't even notice him as he approached, he was so intent on staring at the tiles. He was fully halfway toward the pool before he finally lifted his head and came to an abrupt halt, eyes growing, when he saw Meteri sitting there. They stared at each other for a moment.

"Oh," the other Kana said after a pause. "I'm sorry...I had thought the courtyard was empty."

Meteri just frowned.

The other lieutenant blushed a little and rubbed at the back of his neck. "Ah...would you mind too much, if I just did as you yourself are doing--? You see, I come out here sometimes, to think, since Lord Tas'hukh and Ri'hus-Kana are always busy in the other courtyard..."

Meteri felt a twinge of irritation, then surprise when it just as quickly faded away. "No," he said in a flat voice. "I would not mind. I am only a visitor here after all."

The other Kana--Tas'eta, Meteri now remembered his name was--bobbed his head, letting out a breath, and walked quickly toward the pool. Meteri was slightly relieved that he sat down on the adjacent side rather than next to him, and he stripped off his sandals and placed his feet in the water as well, swirling them around and stretching his wings. They sat this way in silence for a long while, the only sounds the water rippling and the faint noises of the household and the city outside echoing in the hot air.

"You are the one whose father was killed," Meteri said after some time, and Tas'eta lifted his head to look at him. "Are you not?"

Tas'eta blinked, then nodded. "Nehekhi-Kana," he said. "He was killed by the Moru, Bakh'asu." He paused. "Your father was killed as well...and your brother too...wasn't it?" When Meteri nodded he lowered his head slightly. "I am sorry," he murmured.

Meteri's ears flared. "Why?" he said, his voice coming out so sharp that Tas'eta's head lifted again. "You did not know them, and from what I know you did not kill them. I am not sitting here pitying you for your loss. We are strangers, and we are enemies. You read too much into things. It was only a question."

The other lieutenant stared at him with wide eyes, then his ears went red and he ducked his head again. "I...ah...sorry," he said again, cringing. "I did not mean to..."

Meteri snorted and got to his feet, shaking them off and grabbing up his sandals. "You will make a poor elite if you apologize for everything," he muttered, slipping them on, and turned away from the pool. He caught a glimpse of Tas'eta staring after him as he turned away but didn't bother looking back. He started walking for the entrance into the household, though he did slow his step as the hall came into view, and stopped, flicking his tail.

"Lieutenant," he said. He sensed, rather than heard or saw, the other Kana shifting, acknowledging that he'd heard. Meteri flared his wing. "The Moru Bakh'asu was not of our tribe, and Captain Sut'khut did not speak for the best of us. If Lord Fe'kheru had been there, this battle would have never happened, and our relations would still be alive today."

He heard nothing in response, which was just as well, as he didn't wish to. He started walking again, his sandals making a glaring clack-clack-clack against the tiles as he went. He welcomed the cramped coolness of the household now, and decided that he would go to see whether Fe'kheru had awakened yet or not. Perhaps they could take a late breakfast together now that the morning was past.

When he peered in Fe'kheru's door, this time the captain was awake, straightening out his pectoral as he stared out at the opposite courtyard. Meteri slipped inside and the older Kana looked back at him as he crossed the room, placing his arm to his breast.

"Lord," he greeted.

Fe'kheru nodded at him. "'Teri-Kana. I hope you are not too bored here. Perhaps if I spoke with someone they would grant you leave to go into the city as She'hekha-Kana did..."

Meteri shook his head. "I do not wish to," he said. "I hope you had a good rest, Lord."

"As good as any, considering." Fe'kheru stretched a wing and made a face.

Meteri cocked his head. "Considering--?"

"Considering I do not have Ikhi' to wake me up nice and early." He gave a small rueful smile and Meteri smiled in return. "I heard you stop by my room some hours past, even. I hope you caught some more sleep since then. You should be resting just as much as I, you know."

Meteri frowned now. "You know I do not sleep past the sixth hour, Lord."

"You should. You have been out of the barracks for ages now." Fe'kheru finished with his pectoral and turned back into the room. "Even with as good of an elite as you are, even elites need their breaks. If your brother saw you now he would be dragging you into a tavern..." He flinched, then sighed. "Forgive me...I still think they are with us, sometimes..."

Meteri shook his head. "I will not," he said. "They were good Kana; we should not refuse to ever speak of them again. I like to think that Hesi would be dragging me into a tavern, too. And then dodging the bill, and then telling Father, and the two of them cackling about it before he is sent right back to pay it in full."

A smile spread across Fe'kheru's face, and his spirits seemed somewhat lightened for a change. "Yes--this sounds about right," he said, and laughed quietly. "I was wrong, apparently you knew them both better than I thought. Anyway my point is still the same. I hate thinking of you pacing this place and not resting one moment. You will collapse from exhaustion if you do not relax somewhat, 'Teri-Kana."

Meteri's wings slumped. "I do not wish to relax here, Lord. I...I just do not trust any of them here. Even She'hekha...even he is not watching his back anymore." He furrowed his brow and took a step forward. "And what of the army, Lord--? I do not even know how they are holding up..."

"Relax, 'Teri-Kana," Fe'kheru replied, waving at him. "I was going to ask after them myself. I heard no commotion so I take it they are doing well. And just so you will not have to agonize over it, I fully intend to speak with the general today, and set up a date for this duel. Hopefully as soon as possible, so it can be put out of the way and we can return home. I do not wish to stay here a moment longer than we have to."

Meteri lowered his head. "I truly wish you would reconsider this decision, Lord," he murmured.

"I will not reconsider it, 'Teri-Kana, though you are welcome to come with me to see Lord Mahakhi." Meteri lifted his head again and Fe'kheru tilted his own. "Just so you will not have to worry about me," he said, and after a moment Meteri sighed, resigned.

"Very well, Lord," he said in a small voice. "I will come with you."

Fe'kheru stared at him for a moment, then nodded. "Good...at the very least, it will give you something to do. Perhaps I will be able to convince him to set it for tomorrow or the day after...then I will be with Ikhi', and you will be with...what is her name?...I know there is some Moru in the Moru quarters whom you fancy..."

Meteri blushed. "There--there is not, Lord! Merely one or two I visit now and then..."

Fe'kheru's mouth twitched. "Ah, but at least one fancies you, does she not--? Do not worry," he laughed, when Meteri's ears went pink. "I will not talk more on that subject. But we will both at least be back where we belong, and hopefully will never have to set foot here again. Does this sound good to you, 'Teri-Kana?"

Meteri nodded. "Yes, Lord."

"Very well." Fe'kheru checked himself and then sighed, waving at the lieutenant to follow him; they approached the door and went out into the hall. "Hopefully he is not still preoccupied...I keep hearing rumors of how he passes his nights. Supposedly he has an entire stable full of pretty mates, though you know how silly rumors can be."

"From what the guards told me yesterday, Lord, I take it this is no rumor. Supposedly there is even a human dwelling in there with the Moru."

"A human...?" Fe'kheru looked at him and frowned slightly, but all Meteri could do was shrug. He had been told about the human who lived under Mahakhi's roof, but hadn't desired to learn much more; the thought alone was rather distasteful. He saw Fe'kheru furrow his brow thoughtfully, but the captain asked nothing more of it. "Perhaps he saved him on a raid," he murmured half to himself, then touched a claw to his chin. "If so, then some of the other rumors I have heard about him are not likely true..."

"What else have you heard, Lord? Perhaps I can clarify on it."

The captain shook his head. "Merely that he is one of the most ruthless generals...but considering what happened to our tribe, perhaps this rumor contains both truth and untruth." He waved ahead of them. "Ah, She'hekha-Kana is awake. I was starting to wonder if I would have to send you to fetch him next."

Meteri opened his mouth to greet the Yellow Sands lieutenant, then shut it; both he and Fe'kheru blinked. Lieutenant She'hekha strode toward them, angry-looking clawmarks across his cheek, and a blood-soaked bandage wrapped around his ear. He put his arm to his breast and saluted them as casually as if nothing were amiss, and they both saluted him in return, mystified.

"Good morning, Lords," he greeted. "I take it you both rested well...?"

Fe'kheru paused before nodding. "Yes, we did...I hope the same may be said of you--?"

She'hekha nodded in return. "I slept like the dead, Lord...you are going to go speak with Mahakhi now?"

Another nod. "To try to set up this little matter for as soon as possible, so we may be on our way. I do not like staying in this place overmuch."

She'hekha's ear flicked, and then he immediately grimaced and put his hand up to it. "I hope it settles the affair for you and your tribe," he replied, "though as for mine, we will just have to figure out our own matter."

Meteri frowned at the tone of his voice; it sounded as if he were challenging the captain. Fe'kheru ignored it and nodded once more. "What you decide to do on Nehara-Kana's behalf is your own business," he said. "And I would not dare get in the way of it. You are free to do as you wish."

She'hekha nodded at this and started walking again. "Have a good day then, Lords...I am now on my way to see the physician."

"I believe that is for the best," Fe'kheru said, and they turned their heads to watch him go. His tail swished from side to side as he walked up the hall, then they shook their heads and continued on their own way. Meteri frowned.

"Do you know him at all, Lord...?" he inquired. "Because from what little I can gather he is quite a strange Kana..."

"I am afraid I do not know him," Fe'kheru replied. "You probably know more even than I! I guess it is for the best anyway, seeing as our tribes will likely part company soon...so much the better, I suppose, considering."

They reached Mahakhi's room at last, but the guard standing outside it informed them that he was to be found in the central courtyard instead. They turned and headed back, at last reaching the hall looking out over the main court, and stepped outside into the sunlight. Fe'kheru slowed his step, Meteri following suit, as soon as they saw Mahakhi swinging his sword at an invisible opponent. Meteri watched him for a moment before surreptitiously peering up at Fe'kheru. The captain watched him as well, a vaguely pensive look in his eyes. Meteri didn't want to believe that it might be worry.

He touched Fe'kheru's arm and then pulled his hand away. "He is merely showing off, Lord," he murmured; Fe'kheru blinked, then looked down at him, then seemed to relax.

"Of course," he said quietly, and turned back to the general; he started walking again, and Meteri followed. Mahakhi swung his sword a few more times before noticing their approach and lowering it, turning to look at them. Fe'kheru saluted.

"Good morning, General," he greeted; Meteri had to suppress a scowl. No matter how he had been taught to respect his superiors, showing deference to the enemy still galled him. "I hope we have not disturbed you at all."

Mahakhi's nostrils flared and he seemed to want to scowl, but then he merely snorted instead and stood down. "No, you have not," he gruffed. "I was just testing my new sword, is all." He waved at Fe'kheru's scabbard. "You yourself, did you bring a new sword for this matter? Or is it an old trusted one?"

"As a matter of fact it is an old one, one which I have used many times, and which has never yet failed me."

Meteri glanced up at him at the qualifier "yet"; Mahakhi appeared to notice this as well, for he snorted again and lifted his head. "Well, there is a first time for everything," he returned. He sheathed his sword and wiped his hands. "There is something you wished to discuss?"

Fe'kheru bowed his head slightly. "I had actually wished to discuss the date and time of our combat, General. As you may guess my men and I do not wish to stay here very long, as we have our own matters to deal with back in our tribes."

Mahakhi's ear flicked. "You do not enjoy my hospitality, then--?"

Meteri opened his mouth, then shut it when Fe'kheru squeezed his arm. "This is not the issue whatsoever, Lord. So far you and your men have been most gracious to us all. We merely wish to return to our families and to our homes. I dislike keeping good Kana away from their tribes for long."

Mahakhi opened his own mouth, looking as if he were going to make some sort of derogatory comment; then he closed it, frowned a little, and shuffled his wings. "You have a mate and pups to return to--?" he inquired. Meteri frowned but Fe'kheru just bowed his head again.

"A mate, yes; but no pups I am afraid. Meteri-Kana here is as close as I have to a son."

Mahakhi's brow furrowed slightly, then he nodded. "I fully understand wishing to leave, then. Very well. As it turns out I have nothing of importance to do tomorrow; if it should please you at all, we could hold the contest then. You must let me know before nightfall though, so I can clear the market square and get everything in order. I assume both our tribes will wish to witness the events."

Fe'kheru nodded. "This is well with me."

"Very well," Mahakhi said again, and lifted his head so his lappets fluttered. "I will set it for the eighteenth hour, tomorrow--this shall be an excellent time to get the affair over with. It will give your men plenty of time to prepare themselves to depart from here."

Meteri ground his teeth together but forced himself not to speak. "I thank you for your consideration, Lord," Fe'kheru said, and turned, gesturing at Meteri to follow. The lieutenant did so, but waited until the captain was fully turned away before glaring back at Mahakhi as hatefully as he could; the general noticed his stare, blinked, then frowned. Meteri put his hand on the pommel of his sword and Mahakhi responded by doing the same, scowling at him. Meteri refused to lift his hand or to salute, even though he knew that it could be dangerous; as they exited the courtyard he even made a rude gesture, making a slashing motion with his fingers as if cutting off wings. Mahakhi's eyes grew and he very nearly gawked; Meteri then quickly turned away, but all that he heard behind him was a bellow of laughter. He scowled to himself as he and Fe'kheru stepped back into the hallway and started heading back for Fe'kheru's room.

"That was foolish, 'Teri-Kana," Fe'kheru said after a few moments of walking. "If you wish for this to be a fair fight, you had best keep your indignation to yourself."

Meteri's head popped up and he flushed. "You--you saw that, Lord--?" he sputtered in surprise.

Fe'kheru glanced back at him and gave him a frank look. "I did not have to, to know that you would do it--it is the same thing your father would have done." Meteri's head sank and his ears burned even hotter. "It is just a good thing that he seems to be more amused by your insolence, than angered by it...else perhaps that combat would be right now." He sighed and slowed as they reached his door. "In any case, seeing as there is little left to do for the day, I will likely keep to the courtyard, or perhaps see about going into the city for a bit; though I think perhaps I will go up on the roof to take a look a things. Perhaps I should have brought Ikhi' after all. If I had only known how much waiting this meeting would entail."

"I can keep you accompanied, Lord," Meteri offered, following him into his room. Fe'kheru turned his head and furrowed his brow at him. "I have little else to do."

"Little else--?" Fe'kheru frowned. "You can easily pair up with She'hekha-Kana and find something to do! Or speak with more of the guards. Even if you do not wish to be their friend, still, they can keep you entertained. I do not like the thought of you passing all your time stuck in my quarters like some poor Moru!"

"I find nothing wrong with being here, Lord. I do not wish to go out and find something to do with She'hekha-Kana; he is..." he paused, then made a face "...strange."

Fe'kheru sighed but shrugged half to himself, and started looking about in the boxes in the room. "Well...I suppose I will then write a letter, for one of you to take back in case worst comes to worst. Do not look at me like that. It's only the prudent thing to do. You can give it to Khanef-Kana if the need arises." He paused. "He is the one I should have asked to look after Ikhi'." He scowled a little to himself and sat down with the scribe's palette. "I do not know why I thought Sut'khut might do a better job, even if he was my brother...he has always had the head of an ass."

Meteri stepped forward with some distress. "Lord, to pen such a missive now is ill luck! You should at least wait until the battle is over! If you do so now..."

"Meteri, you have never struck me as being djan'tahi," Fe'kheru said, reaching for the pen and wetting the ink disk. "Why you should choose to be superstitious now is beyond me! It is just a letter. I'm not saying you will have to use it."

"Still, Lord, djan'tahi or not, we need every bit of good luck we can get. You saw how he swung his sword--even now he has plans on your head! Perhaps we should go to the courtyard and spar, just to make certain..."

Fe'kheru flung up his arms with a gusty sigh of frustration.
"Meteri! How many times must I tell you? I am not quite that feeble, yet. But if you continue trying to mother me, I very well shall turn into a helpless quivering mass! Truly, have you nothing better to do with your time here?"

"I need to know, Lord," Meteri urged. "I need to know if you really believe this is the right thing to do. He is..." He paused, then lifted his head and spoke the words. "He is younger than you, Lord, and I fear..."

Fe'kheru sighed again. He stood and placed his hand upon Meteri's shoulder and squeezed it lightly. Meteri looked up at him. "'Teri. It is for the honor of our tribe. I need not say more to you, need I?" Meteri bowed his head and reluctantly shook it. "Promise me, Meteri, that you will honor the outcome, no matter which of us shall win." The lieutenant looked up at him uneasily again, and Fe'kheru squeezed his shoulder a bit harder. "I know the part of you that is your father balks at this. But you were always wiser even than he. Promise me?"

Meteri bit his lip. After a moment he nodded.

"I promise, Lord."

Fe'kheru nodded as well. "Good. This is the only thing I ask." He released his hold on the young Kana's shoulder and sighed, rubbing at his eyes. "Now. You needn't worry about me, at least right now. The most strenuous thing I plan to do is to finish this letter, to walk about the roof a bit, eat my dinner, and then go to bed. No, I do not even have a Moru to keep me from sleeping. I have heard that the general likes to prepare himself for combat by keeping himself awake with his own choice of mates. So perhaps, come tomorrow, I shall in fact have the advantage after all."

Meteri smiled slightly at the joke, and saluted. "I will leave you alone, then," he murmured. "At least until dinner."

Fe'kheru smiled slightly as well. "Very well, I can agree to this. Dinner it is. Just to make you happy I will even take a short nap before then, and maybe I will let you rattle my sword a few times."

Meteri took a step back and kept his arm pressed to his breast, bobbing his head. "May you have dreams of victory, Lord," he said, and the captain nodded once.

"Likewise, Meteri-Son, may you have dreams of fulfillment. I will see you in the evening."

Meteri's smile grew on being called "Son." He turned and went back to his own rooms, his step remarkably lighter, and Fe'kheru's door slowly swung shut behind him.

Fe'kheru watched the door close and sighed. He looked at his bed with longing, thought of Ikhi'et, then sat down to finish the letter, picking up the pen.

He nearly dropped it again when a sharp pain stabbed through his other arm, making him wince and hunch over. The pain even seared up into the base of his left wing and he flexed it a few times, waiting for the ache to subside before letting out a shaky sigh and dipping the pen in the ink, hurriedly scribbling out the note before it might return. He signed his name and put the pen and ink away, rolling up and sealing the scroll and leaving it on the table. A walk on the roof didn't appeal to him much anymore, as much as the nap he had promised Meteri; he wasn't so much tired as weary, and staying with this tribe gave him little else to do until tonight. He stood, rubbing the ache away before turning to his bed. He laid himself down without undressing and stared up at the canopy with heavy eyelids and a heavy heart.

Even if I cannot defeat him. Gods, please allow me at least the time and the strength to fight.

With this small prayer, he turned himself over onto his side, letting himself sink into a troubled sleep.

* * * * *


The physician certainly had an odd case to deal with that morning. The older of the two enemy lieutenants had arrived, a linen bandage about his ear; from the way that the blood soaked it, it had been oozing for a while now. He unwrapped the soiled bandage and let the physician look it over. The old Kana clucked his tongue. It looked as if part of his ear had been bitten off. To this he added the four gouges across the lieutenant's cheek, and it looked as if he had had quite a rough night.

"Might I inquire as to how this happened?" he murmured aloud, as he sought out an antiseptic with which to cleanse the wound. It was no use trying to stitch the mangled ear; it was beyond repair.

"Nesakh'ai," the lieutenant replied mildly, and the physician stood straight to stare at him for a moment. His mouth twitched and he bent back to continue digging in his medicine chest.

"Well. Most of us do not normally mutilate one another during nesakh'ai, but if it is what one chooses..." He fished out a bottle, looked it over, then looked at She'hekha's ear again and frowned. He pursed his lips. "Hm...I had intended on swabbing the wound, but I do not think it will serve you much good. It is deep, and the flesh is torn. It will get infected if not treated properly."

She'hekha's good ear flicked; he looked bored. "And so you suggest--?"

The physician's mouth twitched again. If it had been one of their own Kana, he would have tried everything he knew, first, to cleanse and sew up the wound, no matter how futile the effort. As it was an enemy, he did not hesitate long before striding toward the fire and pulling out an iron. He held it up so it glowed in the air, and She'hekha eyed it cautiously. The physician had to keep himself from smirking as he waved it a little.

After a moment the lieutenant shrugged and sat back upon his chair. "Do what you must, then."

The physician blinked. Again he didn't hesitate long before coughing and coming forward. "Very well then...lay your head down here...on this rest." He set out a neck rest, then brought a flat block forward to rest beside it. "Press your ear to this so it is flat." He reached for a roll of linen and held it out to the lieutenant when he had done as instructed. "Perhaps you should like to place this within your mouth...?"

She'hekha waved his hand, keeping his head bent at an odd angle. "I have no need. Do it and get it over with, I haven't all day to spend here."

The physician shrugged. "Very well then." He stuck the iron back in the fire until it was hot, then with little ceremony he brought it down and pressed it against She'hekha's ear. The skin sizzled and turned black, the fur burning away with an awful smell; She'hekha hissed and twisted a bit, his claws digging into his palms and his face contorting. Yet he didn't jerk away, as the physician had fully expected him to. Impressed--and rather disappointed--by the Kana's fortitude, he made certain that the wound was sufficiently cauterized before pulling the iron away, leaving She'hekha sweating and panting weakly. The lieutenant lifted his head and slowly stood, leaning against the table to regain his strength. The physician brought forward a cool wet linen, and She'hekha pressed it to his ear with a soft hiss.

"It will be tender for some time, yet it should not get so easily infected now," the old Kana said. "Keep an eye on it just in case, and I suggest you find other ways in which to enjoy nesakh'ai."

She'hekha waved at him dismissively, not even bothering with a retort. He turned and headed for the door, weaving a little as he walked. He rubbed the cold cloth against the wound with a slight wince as he pushed open the door and went out into the hall, sighing and walking away from the physician's rooms.

He had yet to decide whether he planned on going back to his quarters and facing the rabid Moru again so soon, or seeking out Fe'kheru to see how he was doing, or going out into the city. He didn't like the thought of having to contact a guard to leave the household, as if he were some sort of spoiled pup, and he was not yet ready to deal with Ze'thet at this point; at least not until his ear stopped throbbing. That left the captain. He flared his nostrils--he didn't much care for the older Kana's company either, especially after the stunt he had pulled in the war room, yet it beat having his other ear mutilated so soon after the first, or again ending up with that pissy lieutenant from yesterday. With a slight sigh he headed for the hall which contained Fe'kheru's quarters.

As he went he began to hear talking further down the hallway. It took a moment or two for him to see the source of the sounds, and he slowed his step to peer forward at them. Two shapes walked ahead in the dimness, both of them winged, yet when one spoke it sounded as if it were female. She'hekha's ear tried to flick and he winced and rubbed at it as if out of spite, then shifted to walk closer to the wall, behind the columns. He kept his pace slow so he would not catch up with them, yet kept a decent enough distance away to make out their words as they murmured to each other.

"...All I can do is keep thinking, maybe he made a mistake," the female--for now She'hekha was certain it was a female, albeit a rather Kana-ish one--said, keeping her head low and her wings hunched. "Maybe there was an error. It seems too good to be true...this is all I can keep thinking. Everything has been so horrid lately, that I cannot think something good will finally come of all this." She lifted her head to look at the Kana walking beside her, and She'hekha saw the worry on her face. "What if he made a mistake...?"

The Kana shook his head--She'hekha arched his brows in surprise when he recognized Lieutenant Djuta's voice. "As senile as he is, I do not think he would make such a mistake--remember, he never much liked you--you were competition to him. You actually did his job better than he did." The female blushed and lowered her head again. "I do not think he would lie in your favor. I believe this is the truth and no error."

"Still..." Her tail flicked. "I do not even know how to care for a pup," she said softly. "Even with as much as I read in the library, all the physicians' scrolls I looked over, this is the one thing I never learned much of! I do not even understand it now, how I never learned of this thing. All of my reading! You would think I had learned something useful!"

Djuta tipped his head to the side and touched her arm. "Remember who writes such scrolls--Kana," he said. "I doubt any Kana would have much reason to pen a scroll on childbearing! Such things are most often left to the Moru themselves. I doubt you could learn such things from reading."

The female's wings hunched again. "And so what am I to do--? As excited as I am--as much as this is what I wanted--I am absolutely petrified now! I don't know how to care for a pup! I do not even know how to bear one!" Her voice cracked. "And I feel all wonderful and awful all at once!" She dropped her head and let out an odd sound, lifting her hand probably to wipe at her eyes. "What in the Duat is wrong with me--?"

The Kana touched her arm again. "This happens to every female ready to bear a pup!" he exclaimed. "Relax! There is nothing strange about it; Hup'khit did the exact same thing when she was with child. One moment you will feel wonderful and the next you will feel awful--you will even start wanting to eat odd things." The female looked up at him, brow furrowing as if he were mad. "This is how it is," he said with a shrug. "Hup'khit always wanted pomegranate seeds and roast duck! Together, at once!" The female made a face now. "So do not worry about that. If it helps any, I will call Rithukh'het to keep you company at the time--she has had pups before, she should know what to do. You already feel comfortable in her company so she should take care of everything."

The female let out her breath. "Thank you, Djuta," she murmured. "I realize I am being a horrible pain to you, when you have your own troubles to deal with..."

"You are being no such thing. Remember, I agreed to this just as much as you. Now we will speak with Mahakhi-Kana first of all, and then I will take you to the physician again just so you can put your fears to rest. Perhaps he also has something to help with the sickness. Hup'khit never became ill; I hear this is normal, yet I wish him to check you just in case."

The female nodded again. "I suppose..." she murmured, when Djuta lifted his head, and She'hekha saw his ears and wings flare. He jerked to a halt and grabbed the female's elbow so hard that she gasped and nearly pulled away, also stopping and looking at him.

"Djuta--?" she asked in confusion. "What is it--?"

Djuta's tail whipped from side to side. "Damn it," he muttered, and, still holding the female's arm, turned around, starting to walk back. She'hekha quickly ducked into a niche and watched them pass, noticing the dark look in Djuta's eyes, the confused, tense look in the female's; it was the first good look he'd gotten of her. She had small breasts and narrow hips, and could have almost passed as a boy, so he could only assume that this was the "Khetai" Ri'hus had told him about. He pursed his lips at the sight of her before they passed him, and he started to step out, only to hear more footfalls coming from the other direction. One glance this way showed him yet another Kana quickly approaching, his step fast and loud, sandals clacking angrily against the floor. His red lappets swung and She'hekha recognized him from the war room; although he had not spoken up, he'd sensed his animosity from the way the captain had glared at Djuta all throughout the meeting. He glanced from him to Djuta and Khetai, then back again; the captain lifted his eyes and scowled, walking even faster once he noticed them. She'hekha held his place, almost holding his breath itself, as he stormed by, calling out in a harsh voice as he went.

"Lieutenant Djuta! Do not act as if you did not see me! As it turns out you are EXACTLY the Kana I wished to meet!"

Djuta and Khetai both halted, caught; She'hekha watched the lieutenant turn about slowly, but the dark look in his eyes was gone, replaced by an oddly cold look. Khetai's stare shifted from him to the captain and back, still perplexed. "Lord Rik'hia," Djuta greeted.

Rik'hia's lip curled back. "Do not 'Lord' me! I know full well how little you care for the Kana! You and that brat of Djetef's! Your entire deal should be nullified simply because of the way he wormed his way out of that with lies!"

The dark look returned to Djuta's eyes. "You are the one who agreed to the deal. You are even the one who suggested it! After Resikh made his statement! You are as bound to this deal as are we, and so you can hardly go back on it now."

The captain snorted. "As if I expect either of YOU to fulfill this bargain--? I know BOTH of you well enough to say that this will hardly happen! For all I know you have never even TOUCHED each other--"

"We have!" Khetai retorted, and both of the Kana looked at her. She clenched her fists and wrinkled her muzzle. "And I will have you know that I am with pup now! So the deal WILL be fulfilled as promised!"

Rik'hia's mouth fell open and he let out a huffing noise. "Pregnant?" he exclaimed in a screech; then he let out an awful laugh which sounded not in the least bit amused; She'hekha rolled his eyes at the other Kana's histrionics. "As if I am to believe YOUR poisonous soil would bear fruit! And EVERYONE knows Djuta prefers to stick himself in MALES!"

"Perhaps you should let Rithukh'het-Moru know of this," Djuta said calmly. "She should like to be aware that some other strange Kana has been sticking her all this time."

Khetai ducked her head and appeared to want to snicker. Rik'hia's ears flared. "What are you laughing at?" he snarled. "Scheming Moru, you have no right to laugh at a Kana!"

Djuta stepped in front of her. "She was once much more Kana than you are right now," he said, and Rik'hia's face went white. "At the very least, aside from being female, she upheld every one of the Kana principles--something I have yet to see you ever do. Even with as horribly as all of you have treated her, she has still vowed to fulfill her end of the bargain, and this she has done. She and I did everything you requested. There is nothing left for you to say."

The captain's muzzle wrinkled. "And so now what? So she drops you a pup! I believe you would hardly bear to keep her in your rooms for the rest of your life! Seeing as no resolution was agreed upon as for what becomes of her after she does this--"

Khetai's face had gone white now. She'hekha wondered how aggressive she had been as a Kana; it was a pity that that seemed to be gone now. "The fact that no resolution was agreed upon is your own fault," Djuta retorted, a bite at last entering his voice. "You had every chance to make your wishes clear before the tribunal. As you did not, you leave her fate in my hands! Mahakhi-Kana himself would agree to this and you full well know it!"

"And so what are you going to do with the bitch--?"

"Exactly as I promised her I would do. As soon as she bears the pup, she has her own choice of whether to leave it with me or keep it herself." Khetai glanced up at Djuta and She'hekha could tell that she had not expected this.

Rik'hia's mouth dropped open. "Leave it or keep it--?"

Djuta gestured toward the east side of the house. "As soon as her obligations are fulfilled I will be setting her free. She will leave the Great Red Tribe and never bother the likes of you again. I have no need of another female; and this is what I promised her. Whatever she decides to do with herself afterward is her own issue."

Rik'hia looked ready to collapse from sheer rage.
"So it is EXACTLY as I had said!" he hissed, jabbing his finger at the lieutenant. "I was right all along! I should never have agreed to that bargain, with how you intend to hold it up! Setting a Moru free--especially one who has committed such heinous crimes! If you were not Mahakhi's lapdog I would report you immediately!"

"I am hardly Lord Mahakhi's lapdog," Djuta replied, his voice calm yet icy. "And if you will recall, never once did I promise you anything other than what has already been fulfilled. She is with child; this is exactly what you wanted, was it not? She will bear it within the year, and then I shall do with her whatever I wish. This was the bargain, if you will remember."

Rik'hia's wings trembled and then he spat upon the floor. "Here is what I think of our 'bargain'!" he snarled. "You withheld vital information from the tribunal. I am of the mind to have you executed! BOTH of you! You pissy little whore, and you slash-winged prick! Once a Moru, always a Moru! You have never been one of us! Even now you plot against the general by vowing to set this filth free!"

"Report us to Mahakhi-Kana if you wish," Djuta replied. "He is the one we plan to see, then the physician. I should like to hear what he has to say to you once we tell him you are reneging on the bargain."

Rik'hia's face flushed brilliant red and he flared his wings to their maximum height; if he hadn't been hiding, She'hekha would have laughed, Rik'hia's impotent rage was so amusing to watch. "This is not the bargain!" he screeched.

"I have fulfilled the bargain!" Khetai spoke up, and She'hekha's brows rose when she stepped out from behind Djuta and flared her own wings; she was much smaller than Rik'hia, but with the way that she clenched her fists and glared at him, the Yellow Sands lieutenant wondered if she might make a decent match for the batty captain after all.
"This was all that you demanded of me. We have both fulfilled our end, now you must uphold yours!"

"Uphold?" Rik'hia hissed; then the rage vanished from his face, making She'hekha's own smile vanish--he knew that look--and he sneered. "Let me see if you can uphold this, little bitch!"

He took a step toward her and brought his leg up, so quickly that Djuta did not even have the chance to react. His knee connected with the Moru's belly with a sickening thud. She'hekha's eyes widened and Djuta cried out loud. Khetai's arms wrapped around her middle and she gagged, sinking to the floor, a dark flower of red blossoming against the front of her dress.


Continue:

"Part 52: Nullify


Please REVIEW if you rate.
Please DO NOT rate if you won't review.
Thank you!



This item is NOT looking for literary critique. I already understand spelling/grammar, and any style choices I make are my own. Likewise, I am NOT seeking publication, so suggestions on how to make this publishable are not being sought.

This item IS looking for people who are simply interested in reading, especially in long/multipart stories, and who like to comment frequently. My primary intent is to entertain others, so if you read this and find it entertaining, please let me know so and let me know why.

If in the course of enjoying the story you do find something that you feel could use improvement, feel free to bring it up. Just know that that's not my primary purpose in posting this here.

If you have any questions about the story or anything within it, feel free to ask.

I do hope you enjoy! :)

© Copyright 2002 Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight (tehuti_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/517419-Part-51--Fury