*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/537402-Forsaken
by Circe
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Supernatural · #537402
An Angel banished from Heaven trys to return.


Gabriel walked up the old steps, the pain in his heart consuming him. The old steps creaked beneath his feet with each footfall. He almost considered turning around but forced himself on. When he reached the landing he stood for a moment before the huge black door. He took a deep breath before reaching out to knock.

Before his hand could touch the door it swung slowly open. He had expected it to creak but it moved silently. Had it opened itself?

Gabriel cautiously stepped into the huge lobby. The floor was made of black and white marble, set out in a chessboard design. From the roof a hung a truly beautiful crystal chandelier which sparkled as the light caught it. He suddenly realised he didn't know where to go from here. That was all he needed to convince himself to leave. He turned sharply and came face to face with a man.

The mans dark skin glowed in the candlelight and he regarded Gabriele suspiciously. "I never expected to see you here."

Gabriel swallowed. "I need to see Lilith."

The dark man nodded. "You must be desperate."

Gabriel ignored his comment. "Can I see her?"

The dark man made no reply and simply turned away. He began to leave the room and Gabriele followed nervously. He didn't want to be there. Everything about this place terrified him, but Lilith was his only chance.

He followed the dark man up a long hall before they finally reached a set of red doors. The dark man nodded casually and walked away, leaving Gabriel standing there.

He pushed the door slowly and stepped into the room.

The room was lit enough to see clearly but Gabriel couldn't tell where the light was coming from. The room seemed as if the designer couldn't decide on what influences to make use of. Against one wall stood a statue of a woman in an Egyptian style wearing a gown decorated in Celtic knots. A painting on the wall showed the pagan god Bacchus chasing nymphs near what seemed to be an Incan pyramid.

In the centre of the room was a throne. Its tall back was decorated with designs created with amethyst and emeralds.

In the throne sat a stunningly beautiful woman. Her deathly pale skin was set off by the flame red colour of her long hair. She wore a black sleeveless shirt which ending abruptly beneath her breasts and an ankle length black skirt sat delicately on her hips. This left most of her pale torso uncovered.

She was leaning across the side of the throne playing a game of chess with an impossibly small dragon, which perched precariously on the edge of the chessboard. One the other side of the throne a strange dog creature slumbered. Werewolf, Gabriel though with distaste.

Gabriel cleared his throat to get her attention. Lilith looked up at him slowly.

"I though I smelled an Angel," She said a little bitterly, before going back to her game.
Gabriel walked closer toward her. She possessed the slight aroma of Frangipanni and Jasmine.

"Lilith."

She looked back up again, this time a little more interested. Her eyes flicked as if she was listening to something and then she smiled. "You're not an Angel any more." She laughed, revealing a sharp pair of teeth. Don't panic, Gabriele told himself, You knew she was a vampire when you came here.

She stood from her throne, her green eyes shining, and walked past him to shut the doors. She clapped her hands and the werewolf woke up and stood. It gave Gabriel a snarl before disappearing through a blue door. The tiny dragon made an unusually courteous bow to Lilith before it followed.

Lilith made her way back to her throne slowly. Gabriel was again struck with how desirable she was. She had been created truly perfect.

She sat down on the throne and crossed her legs, the spilt on the side of her skirt revealing an ashen leg.

"What did you do?" She asked directly.

Gabriel shrugged. The room was bare of seats so he sat at the base of her throne. "I don't know. He wouldn't tell me why." He looked up at her. "I can't believe He'd throw me out of Heaven." Gabriel's voice was full of disbelief.

"Why?" Lilith asked fiercely. "That's how He is. He's fickle. Did you learn nothing when He abandoned Lucifer?" Her fury subsided. "Or when He abandoned me?" She said quietly.
She stood suddenly, startling Gabriel. Walking over to a far bench she continued. "So why have you come to me?" She poured what appeared to be absinthe into a tall fluted glass.

Gabriel stood and looked at her like it was obvious. "I need you to help me get back in."

She turned to look at him and laughed, her red hair catching the light. Her smile disappeared. "I've been stuck on this planet since the Fall. Forsaken to darkness, forever to feed off the human race. And you think I can help you get back into Heaven?" She made a sound of disgust. "Please, if I knew how to get back in I would. If only to tell Him how much I hate Him."

Lilith took a sip of her drink and saw the look of horror on Gabriel's perfect face. She smiled kindly. "I know you still love Him. But you've only suffered his absence for days. I felt it for eternity. And why? Because I wanted to be Adam's equal." She shook her head. "If He's so damn omniscient why didn't he see that coming?" Her smooth voice dripped sarcasm.

"Lilith" Gabriel pleaded. "You're the only one who can help me."

She stepped toward him. "You're right, I can help you." She smiled and Gabriel unconsciously drew away. The smile was eerie. It was filled with an untold knowledge.

"You'll make me an Angel again?" He asked, unsure.

She almost laughed. "No, my love." She whispered seductively. "I'll do much better than that."

Gabriel was hit with a sudden dizziness. The room seemed to spin around him. Red hair filled his vision and then, everything was black.



When he opened his eyes he knew he felt different. He felt power. He jumped up knowing he was an Angel again! Gabriel ran to the mirror to see his wings.
When he saw himself he pulled back in terror. Lilith had worked her own brand of necromancy on him. His skin, which had been dark, was now stark white like hers. His teeth, like hers, were sharp.

Gabriel was a vampire.

He felt he should be destroyed by this horrid transformation but he wasn't. All he could focus on was one thing. The pain was gone. The pain of losing God that had torn him apart was gone and he felt happy. He now had a freedom that no Angel had ever felt. A freedom that he'd never felt.

He smiled and closed his eyes. A whole new universe had opened up to him and he knew he would never grieve for the loss of Heaven again.




© Copyright 2002 Circe (circe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/537402-Forsaken