*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/549492-The-Hat
Rated: E · Short Story · Educational · #549492
I found this hat... my first attempt at writing a short story. PLEASE read it and enjoy!
It lay there on the ground. Couldn't have been there long I thought, as it was such a busy spot. Small tan child's hat, the floppy fisherman's kind, decorated with small zoo animals around the band. I stopped and picked it up. Looking inside I saw a name printed in a child's hand on the sweatband, 'Ronnie Hyde'. Looking around I saw no children nearby. So I held onto it as I walked, thinking I might by chance come across its owner ahead.

I had walked for about 5 minutes when I saw him. He was sitting on a bench, his bike lying on the ground beside him & his face buried in his hands, crying. He looked about 10 or 11, small framed, with light brown hair that was cut sort of like a bowl-cut I thought. He was wearing a pair of those compression shorts that cyclers are so fond of, and some team's jersey neatly tucked in at the waist.

My first thought was he had fallen and was hurt, but as I looked him over, I saw no scrapes or cuts. I sat down beside him on the bench, and placed the hat on it between us. He was crying pretty well and hadn't noticed me or the hat, so I cleared my throat. When he looked up, I saw beautiful brown eyes that were red from crying, and tears streaming down his lightly freckled face. He quickly tried to wipe away the obvious evidence of his emotions, and was about to say something when he saw the hat sitting there on the bench. His eyes lit up, and he smiled the most beautiful smile I'd ever seen on anybody. He looked into my eyes and I smiled back. To my surprise, he leaned over and gave me one of those hugs you give to a friend you haven't seen in a long time. A string of "Thank You, Thank You!" was flying from his mouth as he hugged me like he'd known me forever. When the "thank you's" stopped, and he let go of me, he said, "I thought I'd lost it forever!"

"You're welcome," I laughed to him as I stood to continue on my walk, "and thanks for the hug, Ronnie Hyde."

He burst out into immediate laughter and said, "It's Joshua Ryder! Ronnie Hyde's my Gramps!"

Slightly embarrassed I replied, "Well then thank YOU for the hug, Mr. Joshua Ryder!" He grinned as I continued, "But I'm curious why your Gramps' name would be in your hat."

His smile faded some as he said, "Well, it was the last thing he gave me before he died last year, and it really means a lot to me. Losing this hat would be like losing Gramps all over again."

"Then I'm especially glad that I was able to return it to you, it was my pleasure", I said. As I was turning to leave, I told him, "Take care of yourself and that hat, and maybe we'll meet again some day?"

"I will, and thanks again Mister-r-r-r-r?" he queried.

"Ray will work just fine, Joshua, Seeya!" I replied as I continued on my walk. I had gotten a few steps and felt drawn to look back where I had just left. He had put the hat in the front of his waistband, and was on his bike flying in my direction. As he went whizzing past he was smiling from ear to ear, and waving.

I watched as he pedaled out of sight, amazed at the love I felt in that boy's hug. This day, I had been the instrument thru which a smile was put onto a sad face, and I thought out loud, "What next?"
© Copyright 2002 Trayn_Dryvr (trayndryvr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/549492-The-Hat