*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/573461-ElaineElaines-Timeless-Awards
Rated: E · Article · Opinion · #573461
Some stories or poems just stick in my mind. I've created an award to celebrate them.
There are some stories or poems that just stick in your head. Years later you remember something about the story. You may no longer remember the story, you may have forgotten the story's author, you may no longer even remember where you saw it, but you remember something about that story -- it has become part of your personal mythos and explanation of your world. I started thinking about some of the stories that I remember here on Writing.Com and decided to commemorate them.

I noticed a theme in what I like best -- I like stories that stretch the imagination and deal with dreams and time. I also like stories that deal with the comedy and tragedy of what it means to be human. Some of the stories may have an error or two, but the actual story is so compelling, the errors do not detract from them.

Life goes on. It's February 2015. I manage to keep busy even if it's busy doing nothing. *Smile* The author of the next poem always does good work, but today's poem is outstanding. Once again, I had to clean out some deleted items. So sad.

STATIC
Peace of Mind  (E)
Seeking shelter from the storm.
#2031425 by Jatog the Green


It's July of 2012. Had to clean up this place yet again. So sad, great stories disappeared. However, I've found some new pieces! I drop into The Writer's Cramp  ever now and then to practice my writing. I've encountered a few gems there. And contest forums or the newsletters are also great places to find wonderful reading.

A great little short story with poetry, too!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1880078 by Not Available.


I could hear the music surging from this little story.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1878858 by Not Available.


I loved how this little story held mysteries on several levels.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1874715 by Not Available.


I always enjoy a good fantasy story.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1877749 by Not Available.


It's May of 2009 and I've discovered four more little gems for you.

The first one, includes the sentence "I enjoy the quiet stillness of the universe as the planets orbit in their chosen paths." Anyone who knows about the universe above their bed is someone who understands the meaning of timeless. I give you

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1553568 by Not Available.


I'm not sure exactly how to limit my award to any one piece of this author. The more I read, the more I enjoy. However, here is the first poem I encountered and am still thinking about. Be sure to take some time in their port!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1561319 by Not Available.


"And celebrate the fact that we lived" Yep, the author has nailed the cause for celebration in the midst of endless wars.

The Conquering Hero  (ASR)
again, contest entry. pacifism is cool :)
#1556796 by quoth.theraven


I've cleaned this item up from the deleted stories. Sniff, sniff, so sad they are gone. Now that I have a little more time, I'm reviving these awards. It is fun to come across little jewels and I want to reward them. It's April of 2009.

The following entry is such an imaginative little piece. A month later, I still remember it and thus I share it with you.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1537020 by Not Available.


I ran across this little gem. I don't usually like horror type stuff, but this one set up the situation so well.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1544404 by Not Available.


I ran across this gem in a contest forum. I am so impressed with how the author wove the story out of the various prompts. I give them an A, and, or course, an award.

Time Virus  (13+)
Winner of: 14 days, 7 prompts and 1 story contest
#1538391 by Hyperiongate


The author of this little essay always writes stuff worthy of reading. Her sentiment is certainly timeless!

STATIC
Actually the Glass Is Always Full  (E)
The recipe for happiness...
#587792 by Shaara


I remember competing in the March 2002 poetry Slam. For awhile, Lady Cappacine and I were neck-and neck, she winning more rounds than I, and eventually taking the Grand prize. Lady Cappacine’s poetry is among the most sophisticated poetry I’ve seen on Writing.Com. I’d gladly add a volume of her poems to my library any day. Of all her poems, though, this one sticks in my mind the most. It is such a juxtaposition of the sublime and ordinary – all in a little carton of eggs.

STATIC
Half a Dozen  (13+)
eggs, mythical eggs
#366544 by Cappucine


I was writing to a poetry prompt once, I think the prompt words were jade, queen, and velvet, and ran across this poem of RedRidingHood’s. It was so vivid in imagery and color. I was awed by it then and still love to read over its soothing lines.

Jeweled Oasis  (E)
Velvet jade trees bend low beside a crystal pond.
#346990 by Red Writing Hood <3



Eyekahn is another powerful and emotion-provoking poet. I have been awed by every poem in the portfolio. It was difficult choosing just one to feature, but I decided on this one because it was such a portrayal of rage – as well as a very different way of looking at an emotional and controversial subject.

Abortion: The Outcast  (18+)
A look at abortion and what we don't see look back...from the POV of the unborn
#323623 by EyeKahn



Every time I ran across this author's poetry or prose, I am impressed and pleased by her talent. I know I don't read this author enough -- one of the best authors here. I loved her take on a Renaissance prompt.

STATIC
Renaissance of Dreams  (13+)
Hoping for reforms - "Renaissance" for Poet's Corner
#570381 by Joy


It doesn't hurt that Skittles is just about my favorite candy. Plus, I rather enjoy going to the movies. And so, I give you this poem, a world of color in a handful of words.

Crowded Theater  (E)
Murphy's Law. Murphy strikes again... this time, with Skittles!
#282492 by Jenn



I don’t often look at art on Writing.Com. I’m happy with looking at art books and going to museums. However, I stumbled onto this picture and was awed by the exhibited talent. It is a picture that makes me feel of dreams and beauty. Thus, I bring it to your attention.

IMAGE
Details, Darling  (E)
Photographic image sketched in pencil; made of 1/2 inch patterned squares
#141887 by The StoryMistress



Awarded June 6, 2003. Three more short stories that deeply moved me.

The following story is one that combines relationships and writing in a way that makes so much sense to me -- an introvert and writer. It's one of the finest crafted short stories I have seen at Writing.Com.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#663980 by Not Available.


I ran across this story and was reminded of Amy Tan. The author has captured so well the conflict of mother and daughter that crosses all countries, times, and enthniticities.

Left  (E)
What can an Asian mother to do when her "americanized" daughters leave her?
#683423 by missanh


I very much loved the girl's searching and surprise in this little story. It sings of love, spring songs, and all the colors of the rainbow.

STATIC
The Miracle of Easter Eggs  (E)
Juanita discovers the miracle of Easter Eggs...
#671838 by Shaara


I hadn't realized it had been so long since I had made any awards. Here it is already February 27, 2004. Here are another couple of stories that are evocative of the vastness of time and soul.

Everybody Needs A Treehouse  (E)
This is a story about a family's treehouse that is threatened by a neighbor.
#792221 by FrankSperry


The Second Coming  (13+)
Two southern boys go on an adventure
#697349 by Armistead


Awarded March 26, 2004. Another item that deeply moved me:


The following story is not from the squeamish. When I read it, it was also under construction. However, I thought the author did well in capturing a timeless moment in the 1800s United States West of the consequences of hate, violence and war. I greatly appreciated his comment on the story, "But what I found truly interesting is that even today the debate rises on whether or not we should follow the path of peace in the Middle East, or decide that these terrorists are truly our enemies and blow them away."

STATIC
The Converging Path  (18+)
“You cry like a whimpering dog -- not a warrior!"
#831064 by W.D.Wilcox


© Copyright 2002 ElaineElaine (elaineelaine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/573461-ElaineElaines-Timeless-Awards