*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/595753-Hand-Paddles
by Starr
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #595753
short and humorous piece about how a young boy, considered a freak, could change so much.
         Everyone had paddle instead of hands. To them, that was normal. Ping-pong was a widely enjoyed sport, for obvious reasons.
         But one day, there was a young boy born who, instead of paddles, had hands such as we recognize them today, or at least very similar. This boy frightened all the people. How had this come about? What kind of a freak was this boy? How would he ever manage to fit in and become productive to society? They decided that the only sensible thing, no, the only possible thing left to do was kill the boy.
         But one person was against it. The mother of the boy did not want her son to be killed. She didn’t care that he had hands instead of paddles. She insisted that she could make paddles for the young boy to hold so that he would fit in and be productive and not be a freak. She cried and pleaded and begged. And the people took pity on her and allowed the boy to live though they all were wary.
         So the boy grew up, a freak. But, despite his unseemly deformity, the boy really was quite handsome, and many girls were quite able to look past the deformity and at the rest of him, well, his looks at least. And so the boy was viewed by some as a freak and looked down on and made fun of, and the boy was admired and revered and loved by many others.
         Since the people all had paddles for hands it was hard for them to pick up the ping-pong balls. And that was where the boy was extremely useful. He was quite willing to run around and pick up the balls and help people out however he could. And to some this made him more of a freak while to others it made him even more attractive.
         Soon, for reasons unknown to many, there began to be more and more kids born with hands instead of paddles. By the time the boy was grown up and ready to marry, about one quarter of the kids had hands instead of paddles. When the boy married, and it wasn’t hard for him to pick someone to marry, he had many kids. And every single one of his kids had hands instead of paddles. Apparently, the gene which controlled the hands/paddles was dominant with hands. So if one parent had the hands gene and the other had the paddles gene, then the kid was almost sure to have hands.
         Now, the people with hands instead of paddles had another odd quirk to them. They were extremely good looking. And soon people with hands instead of paddles were the most attractive ones and therefore the ones that ended up having the most kids.
         Before long, the majority of kids had hands instead of paddles, and then all of the kids had hands instead of paddles. The only people left who still had paddles were old, decrepit people who lived to tell stories of the days when everyone had paddles and there was only one young freak of a boy who had hands instead of paddles. But soon even those people died, as people are bound to do, and only people with hands were left.
         And so, that one boy, who was considered by most a freak, set into an action a very significant change. From paddles to hands.
         The moral of the story is if you are considered a freak then just be good looking because then lots of people will like you and you'll end up having lots of kids and they'll be freaks like you and before long everyone will be a freak just like you and then it wont be considered freakish anymore so you'll end up being normal.
         The end.
© Copyright 2002 Starr (starrydreams at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/595753-Hand-Paddles