*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/596181-Devious-Cupid
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #596181
When a problem is viewed from a different point of perspective.
*Winner of the 29/12/02 WritersCramp daily competition*

The prompt given upon which Devious Cupid is based on:

A newly married couple get snowed-in at a ski lodge. They are delighted by their luck, and grateful for extra time together in their mountain paradise. However, the lodge is over-filled with travellers who were supposed to leave that day, and others who arrived just before the snow hit. The young couple are told by the manager that they must share their room with another couple, which is disappointing but understandable given the circumstances, and should only be for a night or two until the roads clear. The couple they send to bunk in with the newlweds have been married 20 years, and are on the verge of separating. This trip was a last ditch chance to try to save their marriage.

Your story should be about what happens after the older couple move in with the newlweds, and what ensues after that. It can be COMEDY or DRAMA.

Have fun and good luck!

(The prompt is essential in all of my WritersCramp stories because then it's very hard to understand)

Devious Cupid:

"We have to what!" Ryan shouted inquisitively, his eyebrows twitching to add a sort of dramatic effect.

"Ryan! It can't be helped!" a young lady told him. I noticed her wedding gown; newly weds obviously.

I was waiting for my lovely wife, Danael, in a room adjacently located behind the foyer of the ski lodge Aphrasia when I heard the complain coming from the foyer.

Being as inquisitive as I am (too inquisitive according to Danael), I couldn't help but walk right through the wall of my room to see what it was all about. After all, if I'd taken the time to walk around who'd know what I'd miss. I mean, after all, nobody would see me thanks to the cool benefits of being a god.

"Just for awhile sir. Once the snow is cleared away from the roads the room is all yours. I really shouldn't be saying this, but the couple your staying with is having, well, marriage difficulties put plain and simple. It's not obligatory, but maybe a little bit of a nudge in the right way might be in hand?" The manager of Aphrasia winked.

I watched as Ryan fought back convulsions of anger.

"You ok with this, Lilly?" Ryan proposed the question to his wife.

"Sure. Besides, this really can't be helped," she replied.

The manager smiled and said, "If you'll follow me then I'll lead you to your room."

I half floated, half walked after them cautiously, the memories of the last time I'd passed through a mortal reminding me that it was worse then getting the usual 'pep talk' from Danael.

"Ah, here we are," the manager observed, stopping at their designated room. Pulling out a brass key from his big pocket he unlocked the room.

Rather then patiently waiting for the couple to squeeze their belongings through the door, I took a shortcut; experiencing a burst of warmth as I walked through the wall.

"Much more convenient," I said to myself.

"Did you hear that Lilly?" Ryan turned to ask his wife.

She smiled at her husband. "Well, yeah. Somebody asked me a question."

It took awhile before Ryan figured out the joke, and by then it took every ounce of my energy to contain my imminent laughing fits.

"That was close," I whispered softly. The last thing I wanted was for Danael to appeal for amnesty on my behalf for revealing myself.

The other couple sat at one corner of the room. With one glance even Ryan could've worked out that no auspicious moments to mend their relationship would arise without help.

I watched as the bald manager vacated the room.

After a short moment, Ryan and Lilly walked over to the couple and they introduced themselves.

"Hi! I'm Lilly, and this is Ryan," Lilly pointed to herself then Ryan.

"I'm sorry about the inconvenience. This is Marina my wife, and I'm Greg." Greg shook hands with Ryan and Lilly.

Greg smiled towards Lilly, with an even brighter one returned.

"Uh, hum," Ryan said, intentionally interrupting the moment, "we'd better start unpacking."

Rather then watching lingerie being unpacked, I decided to see how the 'in trouble' couple was faring.

"Marina, do you want to go have a massage. This lodge is one of the unique places to have massage facilities." I overheard Greg ask.

Greg was disappointed when Marina responded, "A massage! Those services don't come free! I'm going to go have a dip in the spa, do whatever you want!" And she stormed out of the room.

Sympathy for Greg washed over me, I mean, no wonder their marriage is going down the drain knowing a lady like that.

I observed Lilly walk over to Greg and jumped in joy, Greg really needed someone to talk to.

"Are you ok? Lilly inquired.

Greg just smiled back, and once again Ryan was going hysterical over the exchanges.

By night-time I'd learnt enough of Ryan and Marina to know why these relationships were failing. Ryan was doofus, a plain empty-headed jackass. Whenever he had the chance he'd slip in lies to Marina to make her and Greg's relationship even worse, a sort of repayment to teach Greg a lesson not to overstep the line.

As for Marina, well, I hated her even more. She was hot headed and always liked to stir up trouble with Greg. If the balcony of their room wasn't so low an accident or two might've occurred.

That night when everyone was asleep, I pondered an idea to solve the predicament at hand. "It's perfect!" I shouted out, before quickly hushing myself. A little excitement for my brilliant plan was at hand, but it still wasn't worth what came after the first pep talk warning from Danael.

I raised my hand into the air, and murmured the word of an incantation.

The next day I watched as my spell took place, and although out of pure malice the two couples separated, it wasn't all that happened. Lilly and Greg ran off together, out of natural feelings for each other, leaving Ryan and Marina by themselves. Well maybe a few feelings were enhanced. But at least I'd done some right in the world.

"Wow, everything worked out fine," a voice sounded out to me from behind.

"Yeah, thanks to me." I pivoted to examine whom I was talking to. "Danael!" I screamed.

"So, I'm sure,sweetheart, that you had fun meddling with things that weren't of your concern?"

I didn't argue. I didn't have the right to remain silent; I had to. Anything I would say may and could be used against me in the vicinity of our home.

"I can explain," I lied.

"You sure do, dear husband, you sure do." I shook in fear.

"Sorry," I pathetically threw down my guise.

Danael shot me a cold look and I knew that when we got home I was going to get it. I guess gods really are the same like humans, or should I say the females?



© Copyright 2002 WarrenToh (warren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/596181-Devious-Cupid