*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/630210-Part-I-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #630210
First chapter of Sonata. Very short, but hey.
PART I -EXPOSITION

Chapter 1


Sage! Sage! Wake up, child!

Sage sat up quickly with a gasp. She blinked in the dark, trying to form coherent thoughts through her grogginess. Goosebumps rose on her arms as a wave of understanding washed over her and her mind finally woke up completely. Her muscles tensed as she threw her bed sheet off of herself and stepped into the darkness of her room. She knew she needed to respond. Her eyes glazed over as if they were staring off into space. Clearing her mind, she directed her thoughts towards the voice. ‘Where is the attack?’

No, it’s not that, Sage. I’ve found a new one.

Sage growled a curse. Her muscles relaxed, and she sat back down on her bed. A new one. That was the last thing she needed right now. She sighed. At least she wouldn’t have to kill anyone tonight.

The voice in her head continued, But this is unprecedented; the child is only fourteen!

Fourteen? She must be kidding…

I heard that, and no, I’m not kidding. You must go get her. I will open the gates for you in exactly five minutes. Can you make it there in that time?

‘Of course, to whom do you think you are talking? Some student?’

Flip as ever, I see. Go, Sage. I’ll give you the details at the gate. Closing link now.

The voice was banished from her head. Silently, Sage stood up and wondered what kind of fashion was popular in the outside world. She sighed. It didn’t matter. Sage waved her hand in the darkness around her. Her nightclothes were quickly replaced with pants, a shirt, a long coat, and a pair of boots—all jet black. At least it would help her blend with the night. Sage silently stepped out into the hall, closed her door, and was on her way.

© Copyright 2003 KarenTheBurninator (neppluto9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/630210-Part-I-Chapter-1