*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/631019-Part-I-Chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #631019
Chapter 3 of Sonata... now we get into the long chapters... yay!
Chapter 3

Sage was in something comparable to shock. Even before Kumo had opened the door, Sage had felt an abnormal power. When she opened it, it was like being hit with icy cold water. The magic emitting from the girl was extraordinary. More so. It washed over her, taking her breath away. Still, Sage did not allow herself to show it. She knew the importance of masking her expressions. Sage supposed that even people without magic could sense something different about the girl. Her appearance was strange enough. She had short silver hair and big silver eyes. That was definitely not normal. One would only get such characteristics from being different—having magic. Upon further inspection, what Sage had seen in Kumo was amazing. Usually it took a long talk with a new one to finally see the magic inside them. In Kumo, it was like an aura that stretched clear out of her body.

Kumo was also smart, Sage noticed. It had only taken her about ten minutes to pack. She wasn’t panicking like the new ones sometimes do. Sage groaned. Stupid girls. Usually they had to be knocked out and practically dragged away. But as Sage thought about it more, it wasn’t so strange. The images—memories to be more precise—Sage had conveyed to the girl must have been extremely vivid for someone with Kumo’s potential. Also, Kumo had only wanted to say bye to one person. Not much of a social life, apparently. Sage usually did not extend this offer to the new ones willingly, but Kumo seemed to deserve it. Sage had a lot more respect for her than most new ones. Not only because of her power, but because she was so mature. Sage thought it peculiar that someone so young could be so mature. Even Kumo’s appearance seemed to try to hide her maturity. She was very short and had an extremely innocent face. Sage shook her head. She knew better than to base judgements on looks.

Kumo, currently, was saying good-bye to the man she had mentioned. Sage had allowed her some privacy and stood outside the door. She hoped it didn’t take long. Crossing her arms, Sage thought about how to explain everything to Kumo. She had explained it to others, but it never seemed right. It wasn’t natural to be suddenly plucked away from everything you know, even if you’re going to a better place. Sage chuckled to herself. Going to a better place… it sounds like dying! No wonder she had never been able to explain it effectively.

The door creaked open, and Kumo came out. It had only been about five minutes. That was quick. And the girl hadn’t been crying, Sage could tell from her face. That was a first. Usually these good-byes, if Sage granted them, were more than the emotionally weak new ones could handle.

"I’m ready to go," the girl said softly.

Sage nodded, and started walking towards the elevator, motioning for Kumo to follow. The trip out of the building was ackward. Neither spoke. Kumo finally broke the silence and said, her voice unsure, "How long will it take to get… there?" she asked.

"Not long at all. In fact…" she said as they walked out the doors of the apartment building, "…follow me." Sage walked into an alley between Kumo’s building and the next, out of sight from the main street. It was early and no one was out, but you always had to be sure. The weak morning sun was just enough to show the grime and grit on the walls of the alley. Sage ignored it. Kumo was probably very afraid but didn’t question. Sage turned around to face her, remembering that most people are afraid of magic, or anything else unusual for that matter. "I’m going to transport us there. Don’t be afraid, it won’t hurt and it will only take a second." Sage could remember from her experiences in this world that pain was a big thing; even a little bit would upset people.

Kumo nodded, apparently lost to confusion. "Now," Sage said while placing a hand Kumo’s shoulder, "hold on to your bag tightly. Are you ready?"

"Yes."

Sage closed her eyes started conjuring a simple transportation spell. She remembered when this had happened to her. It was all so strange, and she had been frightened. Sage suddenly had the thought of hugging the girl. Sage’s lowered her brow at the unexpected kind thought. It was strange for her to want to be comforting to another. ‘Compassion is a strange emotion,’ Sage thought vaguely. The spell took effect, and they were gone.

-



Kumo gasped, but that was all. Most girls screamed, or cried, or fainted, Sage thought, rolling her eyes at the very thought. It wasn’t a normal place, after all. The humongous steel gates rose far into the air, several times Sage’s height. Sage didn’t really see why they had to be so high or look so menacing, because they were protected with magic. Must be for effect, she decided. Who would try to climb those?

"That’s where…" Kumo, pointing, her voice a little shaky.

"Yes. That’s where we’re going." Sage said.

The building she was pointing to was also huge. Not surprising, Sage thought. It was home to over five hundred people. It was a simple building, separated into two main parts. The two parts were both a big rectangle each with five floors each. The outside of the building was made of tinted, one-way glass, except for a small rod vertical between each pane and larger horizontal beam between each floor. At dawn, this was quite a sight, because the rising sun would just start to reflect of the glass, making the building shine brilliantly.

The landscape beyond the two buildings was small hills of grass, mixed with some weeds and flowers, that stretched as far as the eye could see. Sage knew there was more behind these hills, however. From the left side of Sage’s view, she could see the small river wind its way from the horizon lazily towards the two buildings. When it arrived at the buildings, it went in between them, separating them. However, there was a glass bridge connecting the two buildings.

Even though they were separated, the two buildings were often spoken of as one structure—the Main Building. This was a modern structure, the most modern in all the land, in fact. The only one with electricity and modern plumbing, not that the other places needed it. It had built before Sage’s time, but she could tell it was not too old because of the materials it was built out of and its architecture. Someone had once told her that this building was constantly being rebuilt so that it would look "normal" to any outsider who stumbled upon their gates. They probably all, if any ever did come, assumed it was just some business and went on their merry little way. Sage smiled at the irony. Then she stopped, remembering her current situation. Kumo must be confused. She turned to her.

"Kumo, I realize this all must be very strange for you. Are you alright?" Outsiders were so tender when they first came.

Kumo seemed to think for a moment and then said, "Yes. I’m assuming what you showed to me were…thoughts. Of this place…" she smiled, "It is happy here, isn’t it?"

The smile was strange. Sage could see hope in it, as well as sadness. Obviously the girl had not been too happy in the other world. It made sense though; the girl had no friends. She was obviously different and people disliked her for it. Only one person to say good-bye to… social outcast, indeed. People who are unhappy must be willing to try anything to make their lives better, Sage reflected. Sage forced herself to quit wondering and address Kumo’s question. "Yes, it’s very happy here." This was not the answer she would have given truthfully; it was more of a general statement. Almost everyone who lived here would have given Sage’s fake answer, but would have really meant it. "And what I showed you were memories. My memories."

Kumo turned her head to look at Sage and smiled, "I could feel the love you felt for this land."

Sage forced herself to smile back. "Yes," Sage quickly thanked herself for been able to mask her emotions, and for being able to make the memories she gave to Kumo happy ones. Sage had plenty of not-so-pleasant memories. Sage felt like her heart had dropped into her stomach; she knew she had slipped. Thinking about memories had stirred her unpleasant memories. One broke through the barrier and flashed through her mind. Sage clenched her teeth together, and quickly begged herself not to let memories plague her right now. It wasn’t that she hated this land but… no matter, must talk to the girl, "Are you sad?"

Sage realized after she said this that it was a little candid, but Kumo didn’t seem to mind.

Kumo said, "No, I had nothing back there." She paused. "People do crazy things when they are desperate." Kumo looked down. Just as Sage had thought—desperate.

"This isn’t crazy, Kumo. You’ll see. You’ll like it here. Plus, you can feel it can’t you? There is something in you that wants to be here." Sage smiled devilishly at Kumo. Certainly Kumo would feel it. Sage felt it when she had first been brought here.

Kumo’s eyes widened a little bit. "Yes…what is it?"

Sage fixed her with a serious expression. "It’s magic."

Sage held up her hand and created a small fire spell just above it for effect.

"Inside you, wanting to get out. Here is where you will learn how to channel that magic and make it into a viable force."

Kumo didn’t respond. The reflection of the magic flame flickered in her eyes for a moment before Sage extinguished it with a thought. Sage remembered when she had been told all this. It was strange, but not so much as one would think. Sage had always been a slightly different girl, and having magic made everything make sense. She had always known there was something distinct about herself. With someone who has as much magic as Kumo does, even untrained, this must have seemed like second nature. Sage frowned a little bit. Sage looked into Kumo’s eyes and saw only the slightest bit of frustration. It must be like a puzzle slowly coming together. This girl was not normal.

"Now," said Sage, a little bit louder than necessary, "if you’ll excuse me…" Her eyes glazed over and she directed her thoughts towards the appropriate person. After a few moments of silent conversation the gates opened, with a great deal of squeaking. Sage turned to Kumo.

"Kumo, if you go in, you can’t come back out."

Kumo looked oddly undisturbed, as if she had been expecting this. "I have no regrets, Sage." She smiled. She almost looked…excited. Apparently the puzzle was coming together. "Let’s go."

Definitely not a normal girl.



-

Sage and Kumo entered the main building easily; the two woman guards recognized Sage, of course. They looked strangely at Kumo, who was giving off substantial amounts of magic without realizing it. The guards were Munda, Sage could plainly see, but they still felt it.

Kumo stared in awe at the main hall. It was all five floors in height, and completely done in marble, with large pillars supporting it in certain places. One the left and right, the wall jutted out and people from the floors above looked down from their balcony. The centerpiece of the main hall was a beautiful fountain of two women—magic women—in flowing robes. Ornate benches were scattered around the fountain, as well as some other, smaller statues. At the far side of the room, Sage could see people crowded around the large pillar where the rank listings were posted. Other residents were scurrying along, talking, or just sitting around. Sage frowned. She thought this room was a waste of space, even if it was pretty.

Sage knew her way well because of experience, so she led Kumo through the main hall, and through a few hallways, which were as elegant as the main hall. She finally crossed the glass bridge and walked into the second building.

Sage lead Kumo into the second largest room in the whole facility, where eleven people sat at a large wooden table cut in the shape of a semi-circle. There was one woman in the center, with five men at each of her sides. Her face, which Sage had seen countless times of the years, was elegant and long. She was an attractive woman, but her beauty did not come close to match Sage’s. Also, this woman was aging. Every once and a while Sage would notice a little tiny new wrinkle forming on the woman’s face even though she was only in her thirties. Her job was very hard, though, Sage reminded herself. Sage wondered, with a slight smile, if her hair would start graying soon. But, for the time, the woman’s hair remained stubbornly jet black. The aging didn’t seem to effect her body either, as she still had a nice figure. She was wearing the same dress she always did— her uniform, in a way. It was a long black dress with long, hanging sleeves, and a small emblem over her heart. This emblem was a white oval with a black diamond touching the circle’s edge at each of its four corners. On her forehead, there was a similar mark, only the colors were reverse. All the men had a small black diamond on their forehead. Like the Mistress, they were all in their early thirties or younger; everyone at the main building was.

Sage bowed to them. "I have brought the new one, Mistress."

"Yes, I see," the Mistress said and she got out of her chair and walked towards them. She could walk so gracefully it seemed unreal. Then again, people had told Sage the same. The Mistress’ feet did not make a sound, but then again, most Munda were taught to do this to some extent, and the Mistress had been a Munda back in her day. As the Mistress approached Kumo and Sage, her eyes flickered towards Sage and then moved on towards Kumo. Here eyes were disturbing to most that met her—they were blood red. The Mistress’ eyes were her most distinctive feature; the red pigment stood out shockingly against her white skin and black dress and hair.

"She is strong. That is obvious," said the Mistress. The men murmured their agreement. They barely had any magic, but they could feel it.

"Magi. Definitely. I’ve never had to make an easier choice." The Mistress waved a dismissive hand while her eyes flickered again towards Sage, who nodded her consent. Kumo wasn’t sure if this was a compliment, or not, or even what it meant. It was obvious to Sage that she was confused. It was obvious to everyone. All new ones were bewildered at first. Who wouldn’t be?

The Mistress turned to Sage quickly and smiled slyly. "You will teach her Sage. You alone. You are the only one," she paused, searching for the word, "qualified."

Sage raised her eyebrows to the Mistress in surprise. She was certainly qualified, but she had never heard of a Munda training a Magi alone. "But ma’am, without a magi, I wouldn’t be able to--"

The Mistress interrupted her, "You will, Sage. That is an order."

Now Sage was the one that was confused. Kumo must be even more powerful than she had thought. The Mistress had sensed this and decided that Sage was not only the only one qualified to train the girl, but also the only one who could. Apparently, the Mistress was willing to break tradition in order to train Kumo properly. Sage thought about it. It wasn’t illogical; in fact it was very logical. Sage was fully capable. It was…she searched for a word… unorthodox. In the extreme.

One of the men decided to talk, "Excuse me, Mistress, but are you sure Munda Sage is the right one to do this? We all know that Sage still has a considerable amount of magic, but this girl obviously is going to need more than that."

Sage noted, with annoyance, the word "still." Why did everyone think Sage was just going to suddenly loose her Magi magic? Sage knew it wasn’t diminishing, but most people just didn’t get that. Before Sage had anymore time to be miffed, the Mistress turned to him. "I have full confidence in Sage. If she needs help, I will assist her in the training. Personally."

Kumo squeaked involuntarily. She was frightened of the Mistress. Sage almost laughed, even though she knew she shouldn’t think it was funny. Sage knew the Mistress better and she knew that this personality was just a show for the men. Still, she was a determined woman. Very kind, but also very determined. One in her position had to be.

The Mistress turned to Sage, with her back to the men, so they wouldn’t see. She smiled slightly. Her shocking red eyes glazed over while still locked on Sage’s.

But we both know you won’t need help.

Sage smiled so softly that she was sure only the Mistress could see it. It was a smile of confirmation. The Mistress walked over Kumo. "You have the gift of magic. Kumo. Will you accept it?"

Sage crinkled her forehead, wondering why the Mistress wasn’t explaining more. Then again, Kumo wasn’t making a fuss like the girls usually did; she only nodded. She seemed afraid, but sure. Very sure. Unusually sure. The Mistress smiled warmly at her. She put her index finger to Kumo’s forehead. "Brace yourself. This is going to hurt."

Kumo’s eyes widened in sudden fright, but then there was a large white flash from Kumo’s forehead, blocking Sage’s view of the girl. It only lasted a second, and when it was over Kumo was falling to the floor. Sage could see her silver eyes open unnaturally wide, reflecting the light in the room as if they were prisms. She was a pretty girl, but now her beauty was slightly marred. There was a small triangle burned into the skin on her forehead where the Mistress’ finger had been. She hit the floor and her eyes closed upon impact. A small trickle of blood ran from the mark on her head.

-



Sage stared at the sleeping girl. She inhaled, and then slowly exhaled. She looked so young. So innocent. The mark on her head had stopped bleeding, but the wound would never completely heal. It would leave a scar like everyone else had here. Sage rested her chin in the cup of her hand. Inhale, exhale. After the girl had passed out, Sage had carried her back to her—their, now, Sage reminded herself—room. She was sleeping peaceful, and a smile played on her lips. She must be having nice dreams. If she could rest so peacefully, the day must have not scared her too much. Inhale, exhale. Sage couldn’t remember her last dream. It had been a while. Several months ago, her dreams had become less and less frequent until they had completely stopped. It made her feel like every night she went to bed she simply woke up five minutes later. She did not gain any solace, like people normally did, from sleep. Then again, if she did dream, she might have nightmares of the last days before she stopped to dream. Inhale, exhale.

Sage wondered if Kumo would be happy here. She was a strong girl. Smart. And she was kind. It was strange; Sage could tell that somewhere in this little body sleep a happy person. Inhale, exhale. The connection between them when Sage had given Kumo her memories had allowed Sage a glimpse of what kind of person Kumo was. Deep down, something slept in Kumo. Depression had covered it. Her parents’ death. Her social ostrisation. Inhale, exhale. But every time Kumo smiled Sage caught another glimpse of that happy person. Would that person show here? Kumo had come to this place unusually willingly. Sage had thought it was Kumo’s amazing magic pushing her. Now Sage realized it was something more.

Inhale, exhale.

Kumo wants to be happy. This was her only chance, she had seen that, and she followed it. Kumo had tried to tell Sage this before. Sage only understood now. She wondered if Kumo would be happy here.

Inhale, exhale.

Sage hoped she would be.

Inhale, exhale.

Then Sage realized something else… she wanted to be happy too.

Inhale, exhale.

Hope is a strange emotion.

-




The girl’s eyes fluttered open as the bright noon sun streamed into their room and warmed her face. She looked confused for only a moment, but then her eyes softened, obviously remembering the day’s events. Sage waited silently, with her hands folded in her lap. "Hello, Sage. What time is it?"

Such a normal question for such an abnormal position she was in. Sage consulted her watch and replied, "It is 12:17."

"Then I haven’t slept for too long." She sat up. She scrunched her forehead a little bit, and obviously had a million questions to ask. She was too polite to voice any. Rather, she was looking around the room. It was a simple room. It had beige carpeted floor with two, brown, twin-sized beds and a chest at the foot of each for personal belongings. The quarters for Munda and Magi were not nearly as ornate and the main hall and such places. Also, Sage had chosen to keep her room rather unadorned, except for a small shelf of books. The room had four walls, with one wall consisting mostly of a tinted window—part of the outside of the building. The other three walls were white and bare, and Sage liked them that way. She had once bought a picture and put it up, but had later decided it made the room seem smaller, so she took it down.

"Would you like to go for a walk?" Sage asked. Sage was surprised that she said it. It had just come out. No matter, she had some explaining to do.

Kumo smiled. "Yes, that would be nice."

They got up and left the room. They traveled down a few flights of stairs and out the back entrance. Sage had used this path often when she wanted to avoid people, and since Kumo was probably confused enough already, Sage had decided to use this route. Sage led Kumo across the grass and to the small river. They sat down on its bank. Kumo looked in to the water, and watched it slowly meander downstream. The breeze made strands of defiant silver hair tickle her face. The water of the river reflected in her silver eyes, making them look like they moved. The fresh air had made Kumo somewhat more courageous. She ventured a question. "Sage…" she turned to her, "what is this place?"

Sage had been expecting such a question. It was not easily answered. "This…" Sage motioned, "is the river. We call it such."

Kumo laughed softly at the joke. Sage had thought it best to lighten the mood. She cleared her throat, "No, but really, this… as I’ve already told you, is a place of magic. Everyone you have seen thus far, and everyone you will see from now on has at least some magic. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I do. Does this place have a name?"

"We call it The Institution. We didn’t name it; it has been this way ever since we can remember. We call it T.I. for short."

Kumo looked around her and scrunched her forehead. "The gates do not continue around the other side of the building, nor can I see where they end… …how big, exactly is this place?"

It was a smart observation, Sage thought. Sage wasn’t exactly sure how many people lived here, but she knew it was quite a lot. "Kumo, you must realize that this building is only the beginning of The Institution." She thought for a moment. "But I mean ‘beginning’ in two ways. Literally, because this is the first place in all the land. Beyond lies the rest. Also, this is was the first building built, and then it expanded from there. ‘The Institution’ not only refers to this building, but the rest of this place. It is large. With many cities and many people. I don’t know the exact number."

"It is somewhat like a country, then?" Kumo seemed extremely curious about her new home, which was normal. But she didn’t seem afraid. That was definitely not normal.

"Yes that is a good comparison. A small country though. Not like the size of the United States or anything. Probably like the size of Rhode Island," Sage remembered that Kumo was from Japan, "…you know what Rhode Island is, right?"

"Yes, it’s one of the states in America."

Something suddenly bothered Sage. "Kumo, how is it that you speak English so well?"

Kumo blinked at Sage once, and then her gaze returned to the river. "My mother taught me. She was raising in the United States. So, really, I’m bilingual." She swallowed and continued, "After her death, I continued to practice my English so that it would be good…in honor of her."

"Oh," was all Sage could manage.

They sat in an awkward silence for a while until Sage thought to say, "Do you have any more questions?"

"Yes, could you please explain who that woman was back there? She was…frightening."

Sage laughed a little bit. It was always funny when she heard someone say the Mistress was frightening. And a lot said it. She answered, "That was the Mistress. She’s like the ruler here. Don’t let her scare you though; she’s very nice."

"Oh," Kumo said, not seeming to believe Sage. She continued, "And the men, who are they?"

"Ah," Sage said, "they are the High Administration. There are ten of them, and all together, if they disagree with something the Mistress says, they can override it. But, that rarely happens. They would have no reason to. This place is…" Sage didn’t want to say it but she had to. Lies were necessary sometimes. "…peaceful."

Kumo seemed to be getting at she wanted to talk the most about, "And about me… she said I was… I was…"

She must have thought it was too strange to say, so Sage did it for her, "A magi. You are. More specifically, the majority of you magic is that of a magi’s. "

Kumo turned to her, eyes wide. "And you are…" She was staring at the small oval surrounded by three dots on Sage’s forehead. The same mark that so many stared at.

Sage was serious, "I am a Munda." But then, remembering it would be mean to scare Kumo too much, so she forced herself to smile and added, "But what am I saying? I am going too far into your first lesson. That is for a later time."

Kumo seemed to remember something, "That reminds me. She…the Mistress… said you were to ‘teach me.’ What exactly did she mean?"

It was strange, but Kumo looked somehow different. Her expression…Sage could see something in Kumo’s eyes that had been lit on fire. Something awakened at the mention of learning magic. It looked familiar to Sage, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. Nonetheless, it was a growing fire—quickly growing.

"Well," Sage replied, "If you think about it, it isn’t so strange. Obviously, right now you can’t do magic, or else you would’ve done it already, right?"

"Yes, that is logical."

Sage continued, "So, I am the one who is going to teach you to bring that magic out and use it."

Kumo was silent for a moment, taking it all in. Her eyes were burning bright. A wave of understanding washed over Sage as she realized what was burning in Kumo. It was the lust for magic. Everyone with magic had it. They needed magic. It was part of their existence. They craved for it. Kumo’s magic was so strong; this magic-lust must have been utterly consuming. Kumo was staring at the stream, but no longer really looking at it. Her eyes were covered with the fiery magic-lust. ‘But usually it doesn’t happen until they start to learn, if ever!’ Sage thought suddenly, ‘Why would—‘

"Then I only have one more question," Kumo interrupted Sage’s thoughts. It was an unusually strong voice for Kumo.

"Yes?" Sage turned to her. What she saw in Kumo’s face was frighteningly powerful.

Kumo bared her teeth in a smile. Her eyes were an inferno.

"When do we begin?"

-



The stars shined down on her in their usual lofty, defiant way. The moon had the usual golden-silver aura as always. The heavens, apparently, would not change their way and bow down in quiet reverence to the difficulties of mere mortals. Sage was sitting on her bed looking at the night sky with her knees up to her chest, her arms draped over her legs, and her head resting on her arms.

Even in the miniscule light of the evening, Sage could see the humongous gates. Beyond was the place where Kumo had come from. Sage reminded herself that she had come from there too, but it had been so long ago.

Kumo… the very name sent Sage into an abyss of confusion. The girl was an enigma. For one thing, Kumo, who had so much untamed power, was now sleeping because she needed it. Sage was awake, and Kumo was asleep because Kumo was a victim of age. She was only fourteen, and because she was still growing, she needed more sleep than Sage did. Having magic did not exempt you from being human, after all.

Sage looked over at the sleeping child and wondered about the events of the day. Sage realized that she was acting…differently today. She was being unusually nice to Kumo, and she didn’t know why. Usually, she didn’t give a damn how people were feeling, but she was genuinely concerned about Kumo’s well being. She smiled to herself sadly—different, indeed.

Sage had told Kumo that her training would start the next day. Sage had set this date because she had to settle Kumo’s magic-lust. Magic-lust was a very dangerous thing, and trained Magi and Munda never let it consume them in the way Kumo had. Knowing that she could not let someone with Kumo’s power run around with the magic-lust, Sage had calmed Kumo by talking to her and telling her they would start tomorrow. It had worked to; the magic-lust had left almost instantly. She was not a temperamental girl at all. There was another thing, too, that made Sage want to start her training soon; she was curious. She wanted to see the extent of Kumo’s power. One of the best ways to see this was to train someone. Sage mentally sighed at the thought of not having a Magi to help her train Kumo. Not that she really wanted company, but it would help lighten the workload. Even though she was curious, Sage knew the training of a new one could take years. It was hard work, too.

Sage returned her gaze to the heaven, shrugging off her concerns and questions about Kumo. They seemed almost insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

As Sage stared out into the vast black of the night, memories invaded her. Usually, Sage fought against memories tooth-and-nail; they were painful. But now was different. The black backdrop was too simple and didn’t allow her to quickly think of something else. Usually thinking of something else was the only way to avoid them. In addition, the day’s events had brought some of her memories to the brink of consciousness and now they breached that barrier. Sage was tired, and the memories only added more fatigue, so she laid down and closed her eyes.

She remembered being taken from her normal life in the other world. She remembered herself, at the delicate age of sixteen, being ripped from normal life. It had seemed all too inviting, she reflected now. She had met Jillian that day. Jillian was, incidentally, a magi. Images, memories saved away, passed through Sage’s mind at a speed that only she, with all her knowledge of her own life, could understand. Sage remembered being brought her and being presented in front of Mistress Amber. She remembered meeting Ian for the first time, and how smitten she had been by him. She remembered meeting Nikita for the first time. Nikita had walked into the room with grace that surpassed that of the Mistress’. She was powerful, her every movement suggested it. But at the same time she was beautiful. It was a dangerous mix. Sage remembered, as if it were yesterday, seeing the oval surrounded by three smaller dots that so well complimented Nikita’s face.

Suddenly Sage knew why she had invited Kumo out for a walk. How could she have forgotten? It was what Nikita had done when Sage was first brought here. Lamentation from the bittersweet memory swept over Sage. It was overpowering.

They hadn’t recognized at first, Jillian and Nikita, how strong Sage was. They knew soon. Nikita at first, and Jillian sometime later. Sage put the back of her hand to her forehead. She felt sick. These memories made her ill with remorse. Fatigue covered her like a blanket. She knew sleep was creeping closer. She would’ve winced if she wasn’t so tired, because she knew what was coming next. It always came next. When the memories came, it was the same every time with only a little bit of variation. She knew it was coming. The wide hazel eyes stared up at hers with terror she had never seen in them before. The mouth started to move, preparing to speak words that Sage had heard a thousand times over. But this time, they were fading.

Thankfully, mercifully, like death, sleep took Sage before the memory completed itself. The stars had changed, because she could not see them anymore. It was the only thing the heavens could do for her tormented soul.

But still, she would not gain any solace. Dreams, like always, refused to come and comfort her.

-


© Copyright 2003 KarenTheBurninator (neppluto9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/631019-Part-I-Chapter-3