*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/677851-The-Tower
by Adelie
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #677851
Sleeping Beauty?
It had remained stagnant for as long as anyone could remember. A stone tower on the hill, covered in flowering vines. Strangely beautiful, yet chilling—it flowered even in the dead of winter.

You might say it was a rite of passage for the local boys. When they turned sixteen, sometimes seventeen, each would creep up to the tower, with the other children watching from afar, and quickly snatch one perfect blossom. The vines would writhe and claw, but usually the boy was strong enough to fight his way free. He would return home triumphant, and present the trophy to the young lady he had his eye on. The couple often married within a year. The flower stayed fresh for months, and, if you regarded the tower carefully, you were likely to see a new flower bloom exactly where the old had been.

I watched my brothers go through this ritual, and grieved appropriately when my sister's beau did not make it. I was prepared when my turn came. Having never been particularly strong, or very large, I did not want to go on this quest. But I knew the necessity of it, knew that it was the only way to gain respect from my peers, and love from Elise. Elise was the miller's sweet daughter who, I had heard, was trying to decide between myself and another boy, Jacob. However, Jacob was a year younger than I. I hoped to win Elise over with a flower before he was old enough to do the same.

The day arrived, and I headed up to the tower, trailed by my friends. Elise hugged me goodbye, and I continued on alone. I squinted up into the high noon sun, gazing upon the immense power the structure seemed to hold. Power that I was about to defy.

Gathering my courage, I lightly sprinted the last ten feet and stuck my hand out to a blossom. My fingers closed around it, and I turned to leave, but a vine grabbed at my arm. I had not been fast enough. I cried out as I was pulled deeper into the tangle of leaves and thorns. "Adrian!" Elise's voice drifted toward me. I let myself go limp and was pulled—now pushed—farther, through some kind of gate. After what seemed like hours, but must have been only a few seconds, I was roughly dumped on the ground. I took gasping breaths while the vines retreated.

In a few minutes I sat up and looked around me. Inside it was twilight; the air had a chill that made me shiver. Behind me was the now-impenetrable wall of flora. In front of me, a wooden door. I glanced to my right and stared directly into the eyes of Nicholas, my sister's beloved. They were cold, unfeeling eyes—dead. He had disappeared the previous August, on a mission to win the love my sister already gave him. Had he only known.

Nicholas's body was in a crouched position, with one arm extended toward the door. I gazed at him with pity, thinking of the waste. Suddenly it convulsed, and I wondered whether he had survived after all. My heart fell when I realized it was just a rat who had used Nicholas's remains as a nest. Sickened, I turned my head and focused my attention on the door. I would not end up like him.

The wood was thick, although it rotted in several places. I soon saw why Nicholas had failed, for, as I began to kick at it, the places where it had rotted quickly strengthened. After another fruitless attempt, I saw that it was futile. I sank down to the ground, leaning on the door. At once, I felt my back give out as the door creaked open. I stared in shock, knowing that I had done nothing to open it.

Inside was blackness. Peering in, all I could see was the outline of a winding staircase. Gradually my eyes adjusted to the dark, and I began to climb. After a short time, I passed a small window. Looking out, I could see my friends in the distance. I squinted and made out Elise's form, being comforted by Jacob. I turned away in silence, and continued my ascent.

At the top of the tower was a circular room. It was decorated with intricately designed rugs and mosaics. A canopied bed standing in the center of the room was the only piece of furniture. A beautiful girl who looked about my age slept in the bed. I padded noiselessly to her side, not wanting to wake her. Then I remembered the legends I had heard about the tower, and realized that I need not worry about waking her. She must be the slumbering princess! Cursed by an evil fairy, she was doomed to sleep until a handsome knight rescued her with a kiss. I considered this for a moment, then decided to give it a try. I bent down and softly kissed her lips.

The girl's eyes snapped open. "Adrian."

I blinked, certain she could not know my name. She smiled at my confusion. There was something decidedly wicked about that smile. I found myself unable to look away from her haunting eyes. "It's been a long time."

I stuttered, not sure of what to say. "I've waited for the right one," she continued, "but they have always been too powerful for me. I have only thought that one before you would have been right, but his will was stronger than I had imagined. And now here you are. You're perfect. Thank you."

She lightly kissed my cheek and brushed past me. I had not even noticed her rise from the bed. I waited a moment, then realized that she was not coming back. I ran down the stairs in time to see the wooden door clank shut. I pounded, kicked, screamed—all to no avail. I was trapped.

*          *          *


From my lofty position in the tower I am able to view everything that goes on in the village. I saw Elise and Jacob marry less than a year after my disappearance. Hatred for them courses through my veins. Someday...someday I will have my revenge. For now I wait.
© Copyright 2003 Adelie (brigitte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/677851-The-Tower