*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/681927-The-World-of-the-Stage
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Teen · #681927
On this play's last performance, Emma decides if this is her company or not.
         William Shakespeare once said, “All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.” He didn’t comment on behind-the-scenes though.

         Emma was just a normal teenager living in Wildspring, sweating under the August sun with her pale skin feeling twice as much heat. Her short red hair was glistening with sweat from walking across town. Dry sand from the street stung her brown eyes. She walked quickly, glad that she was in shape and agile to make the trip.

         It’s a nice town really, very cultural. Local painters, writers, singers and such come to the Wetherbell College for the Arts to make their simple hobbies become noble displays of personal expression…among other things. Very Chic, but I’m not old enough to attend just yet. In fact, I‘ll start my senior year of high school next month. Still, that doesn’t stop my dreams.

         As a member of the local Community Theater at the Wildspring Recreation Center, Emma had been involved with the group since she was ten with her two best friends, Robert and Joe. They started out cleaning up the auditorium and being stagehands. Now Emma performed on stage as what was supposed to be the leading comical role. Robert was playing the villain and Joe stayed in the crew job, as the head manager.

         I know I’m early but I promised Joe I’d lend a hand with some stuff. Maybe Walter came back from the hospital? I hope so. Producer of this play and he doesn’t even get to see the last performance. How disappointing, especially with things so scrabbled. At least the air condition is running. Ah. I’m always amazed at this auditorium. It’s so big, seating almost 1500 people at once, and yet they can cool it down in no time. Walter must keep the maintenance work up. It’s dark though, with the dark red curtains drawn across stage and all the shutters in the windows around the balconies shut tight. Conserving energy, no doubt. I hear commotion behind the curtains.

         Emma walked carefully down the aisle, trying not to skip from the declining path. She went up the steps and over to the left corner, pulling back the curtain slightly.

         Hmm, there’s Joe…and Robert. Good.

         Her face brightened into a smile as she entered back stage. On a black crate, Robert was sewing a tear on his black cape.

          “So Aaron did trip on it, Huh?” Emma squatted down next to the tall man. He had that dark mysterious complexion that made people think of him as dangerous and exotic. His goat-tee was trimmed a bit shorter than usual and he had to cut his hair shoulder length. It soften the biker look, but still made Robert look like the perfect guy to perform the villain. His narrow face looked over to her. With dark eyes, hair, and his tall frame and muscular built, he was easy eye-candy. A grin shattered that sinister appearance. Emma never found him alluring mostly because of his goofy humor.

          “Yeah. Nearly took out all the seams. No fowl. How about you? Excited. It’s the last performance this season.”

          “Excited,” Emma’s legs started to grow numb, so she flopped down onto the dusty floor, not really caring about her jeans. “More like relieved. This has been the worst experience I’ve ever had, Rob.”

         The actor nodded slowly, tying up the end of the cord with swift precision. His father was a tailor and some of the things he picked up were very useful in the actor’s occupation. “I bet. This director hasn’t been fair to you.”

         She shrugged. Robert looked up above her and gave another smile. A pair of legs bumped into Emma’s back as she followed his gaze. There was Joe, the head of back stage crew. He was about as tall as Robert, only more thinner and pale. His large green eyes seem to see everything at once. He scratched the back of his neck, his dirty blond hair had been recently trimmed short.

         Doesn’t talk too much about anything really which is why we get along so well. Robert does most of the talking. Joe does most of the listening and I balance the both of them.

          “Hey, buddy. How’s everything?” Robert shook his costume cape out and stood up. Joe merely smiled and shrugged.

          “Is Walter in?” Emma asked. He shook his head.

          “Still getting tests done. I need to work here.” Joe helped Emma up. She dusted off her jeans, trying to get a smile to surface, but couldn’t make her mouth work.

          “Oh.” Shrugging off her disappointment. “Then we’ll help out, won’t we Rob?”

          “Help?” the handsome actor squeaked. “Um, Em. We’re not kids anymore. We don’t need to…” He paused when Emma looked at him.

         We should switch ages. He’s so much like a lazy teenager and I seem to be mature beyond my years.

          “I insist. I need the work to clear my head.” She followed Joe to the staircase leading down to the prop room with Robert slugging behind.

         After an hour of, moving boxes up and down the steps, Emma was feeling better. She was also feeling anxious about tonight’s performance. The rest of the cast had been showing up, including the two leading actors. Sharon, who played the female lead in the production, looked bored examining her mirror and applying lip gloss her face. Aaron, her character’s love interest, was a profession actor from New York City. Director Martin simply handed him the leading role. He was putting on a mini rehearsal with some of the other players. All the teenage girls, who sung chorus, surrounded him.

         Joe noticed Emma fidgeting, a characteristic that didn’t suit her true persona.

          “What’s on your mind?” he asked. Robert paused in shoving a scenery panel into the wings, grateful for the break.

          “You know that big theater group in Woodsville? The Forest Players?” With their nods she continued, “Well I got a call the other day. It seems the director, Mr. Douglas, had been talking to someone in this company. He invited me over there next season to perform in the Greek tragedy they’re doing. It’s the leading part.”

         Robert’s eyes grew wide with surprise. He laughed causing some of the chorus girls to look at his direction. They were just as infatuated with him as with Aaron. It seemed to be some curse with male actors. Anyone in a leading role always had admirers in the company, normally young teenage girls. “Really? Congratulations. We knew you could do it.”

         Emma blushed slightly at the praise, but Joe shrugged in his usually quiet way. “That means you won’t be working here next summer.”

         Robert paused. Emma cringed slightly. “What? But, Em. We’ve been a team for years. It wouldn’t be the Moody Trio without you.”

         Everyone had gone silent for a moment. It was common knowledge that she was a very good actress and Walter had commented on her work more than once. Could he have been the one to talk to Mr. Douglas? It wasn’t likely, but there was really no one else who would know the director.

         Sharon’s not even looking in that mirror. Why would she care? Probably trying to hear the gossip. So is Aaron. Huh.

         She looked Robert in the eyes. Emma’s face showed no sign of the insecurity she was beating down her throat. “It’s not the end. I’ll still be in town and I’ll go to Wetherbell College. We’ll be Moody Trio there.” She managed to grin. “Anyway, I haven’t decided. Mr. Douglas will be in the audience this evening. I said I would tell him my answer after the performance. I got till then.”

          “Oh,” was all Robert could say.

         A booming voice interrupted the silence. “People. Time to get dress.” Martin stood by the front seats with a blank face directed at the group. “We don’t have all night.”

         In the women’s dressing room, Emma examined her costume. It was a pair of black slacks with a black vest and white shirt. A broad Three-Musketeer hat sat slanted on her head. Her mind whirled around with her decision.

         I know they’re happy for me, but Rob’s right. We are a group. That’s how we coax Walter into letting us work there. We could do anything he needed together. I really don’t want to break up with this company either. Except for the invited players and Martin, everyone’s like family.

          “Hey, I wonder if we need a messenger tonight. She’s only got three speaking parts. Maybe Joe should take over. He doesn’t need to talk, only fetch envelopes. He’s so good at fetching.” The giddy laughter from the other side of the locker was rattling Emma’s teeth. Sharon’s sultry voice sounded very annoying when she was jeering, which seemed to be every time she opened her mouth.

         Don’t even bite, Emma, she thought to herself. They’re just trying to shake you’re ego again. Replying only makes encourages the insults. She closed her locker and did another stretch, looking so bored she could make an insomniac want to nap. There were some whispering seeping into air, and another fit of giggling.

          “Maybe she doesn’t care. Now that she’s going to the big theater. I wonder what they would want her to play.”

         A shrilly voice replied, “A corpse?” That set the rest in hysterics as Emma casually strolled out the door.

         Have your laugh girls. I don’t intend to be picked on anymore.

          “Places in ten minutes!” shouted one of the crew. Emma trotted up the stairs to the wings. Joe was standing by the light controls, he acknowledged her presence with the nod of his head.

          “Packed?” she asked. He nodded again. “Walter would have been pleased. I hope someone’s taping this.” Another nod caused her to sigh with relief. “Martin doesn’t know about it of course. He would not like the idea of Walter seeing all the ‘changes’ he made since Walter’s stroke.”

         In truth there was several changes all through this comedy. Its basis was two star-crossed lovers, whose families were battling each other for deed to some prime land. They attempt to exchange letters, but their families and Maria’s evil betroth intercept the messages. There are several times where the letters are misinterpreted. Emma played the messenger, a witty comical role, who comments on both lover’s behavior and their predicament.

         That was the change. With each performance, Martin is slowly taking away my parts on stage. First it was just some lines here and there. He claimed they were going over the published time, but I know that’s false. There’s something about that director. He’s more like a follower than a leader. It’s not him that’s making these changes, I’m sure of it.

         The music started with the thrill of horns and Emma slid to the edge of the stage and watched the first scene. The scene was the village market where Aaron, as Sebastian, and Sharon, as Maria, are shopping for their families. Of course Robert, as Alexander the wicked betroth, was showing Sharon the latest white fabric for her dress. She suggested he go look at the mirrors, his favorite hobby, when she saw Aaron testing a sword. As the love scene unfolds, Emma couldn’t help but grin. Robert was close to her now. He caught her eye as he posed with a mirror in his hand. He struck a fierce wrestler-like stance and winked at her. The audience laughed. She could only roll her eyes in response.

          “Oh what a long…sword you have.” That was Robert’s cue. Emma watched as her friend whirled around and set off for his performance as “Mr. Bad Boy.” Sharon was now in Aaron’s arms, trying to look affectionate. Emma remembered the rumors at the beginning of the season. The story was that when they met at the first rehearsal, they left together.

         Yeah. They were an item for a month. Then I guess either her jealousy or his arrogance got on their nerves. They’re civil back stage. Great hams when it comes to this play, but I imagine the thoughts running through their heads are nasty. Rule #1 of performing theater: Never get romantic with any other cast member. It’s killer on the relationship.

         A squeal of giggles erupted in the wings. A heated whisper for silence warned Emma that it was Martin coming up the stairs. She took one look at his expression and knew she was the reason for the scowl.

         It’s that “I’m trying to look tough” face. I better get out of here.

         The curtain had closed and she saw Joe and his crew sprinting across stage, moving everything around to look like two houses and the street in between.

          “Emma.” Martin’s voice was hesitant. The music struck up and the curtains opened. Sharon was on the other side by a desk.

         Emma didn’t stop. She strolled out to the center stage. Portraying her character’s pride and eagerness was easy at that moment. She was eager to get out of the director’s grasp. Ema flipped her hat in the air, causing it to land on her head. She struck a pose, and grinned at the audience.

          “Well now. I’m really excited. This is my first day on the job. I’m a messenger for the Royal Postal Service. Brenda Sendalong at your service.” She bowed deeply to the blinding lights. “This should be a piece of cake.” She strolled over to Sharon. In the original version, she would have made a comment on Sharon’s love struck sighs and such, causing the audience to laugh. That was first of the Martin’s cuts, and Emma felt this comedy was losing its punch. Sharon put on her performance pretty thick.

         You think she was dying, rather than being melancholy.

         Sharon tossed the large envelope at Emma. As always, she stayed in character and pirouetted to catch it. With another deep bow, she marched to other side of the stage. The platform holding Sharon slid off to the wings. Another one emerged on the other side as hers disappeared. This held Ralph, a stocky man with a badly receding hairline and clammy skin. He played Sebastian’s father, which was convincing to Emma. He acted polite as he took the letter, then gave her a good push. As rehearsed, she tumbled onto the ground. The audience chuckled at her. Shaking herself for effect, she stood back up. Emma walked off stage with her head still shaking as if muttering to herself, instead of making another crack comment. Another cut. She ran right into Martin.

         Oh no. I’m going to scream if it’s another line cut.

          “Ah, Emma.” Martin’s eyes shifted to the stage, watching Sharon making another soliloquy about her love and her disappoint at not receiving a reply. “I need to talk to you.”

          “Yes, Martin?” Emma stood before him, looking serious and disinterested. She really wanted to sigh and be a bit sarcastic with him but that would be childish.

          “I’m cutting your scene with Robert a bit. Tonight you just run around the stage about three times, then run out. I already talked to him about it. We need to make the plot a bit less…ah…comical.”

          “It’s a comedy, Martin. Comical is the sole reason for its existence.” She sounded more like a teacher giving a lecture to children rather than being whiny. As usual, Martin looked taken aback by her behavior.

         Doesn’t he know me by now? I don’t act my age. Is he expecting me to act like a bratty teenager? Oh, brother.

          “Still. We got that with Robert, and Sharon.” He turned around quickly. “You’re still in the final scene.” With a quick step, he rushed down the stairs to the lower area.

         Running with his tail between his legs. I wonder if he thinks I’m going to rat to Walter. Probably does. Well I won’t need to, Martin. That videotape will show everything.

         Emma turned around and saw her next scene coming up. Aaron had just discovered parts of Sharon’s letter in the fireplace. He was now writing some sweeping love poem. As his head was down, appearing to put it in the envelope, he was telling his valet to summon a messenger. The man headed straight for Emma, making a crack about the King of the World needing her as he passed. She tried not to smile. Not many regulars liked the blond hero. Her appearance brought on applause from the audience. They seem to be sympathizing with her. She took those cheers and tucked them in her heart.

         Sorry everyone, but you won’t see me act much.

         She rambled to center stage again and bowed to her patrons.

          “Well, here I go again. I hope this was better than the last time.” She turned to her side, rubbing her buttocks. “I don’t think I would like to receive another ‘tip.’” The laughter was wonderful. She slowly came to the partition that acted as the door and hesitantly knocked. Aaron sprang from his desk and flung the door open. He swept her up in his arms and twirled her around, proclaiming his gratitude for her speedy reply. She received a huge hug, and grinned at the audience as Aaron went to his desk. “Much better,” she drawled.

         When the laughter calmed down, Aaron handed her another envelope, and showed a bag that was filled with empty bullet shells. It sounded more like coins.

          “If you can hand this letter to my love’s own hands, I will reward you handsomely.” There was a slight edge to the speech. Emma also noticed the difference in the envelope. All the envelopes they had used previously were empty. The flaps were always open, but this one was sealed. She made another bow and walked out, doing her walk to the other side of the stage. Sharon was at the desk again. Emma walked in, handing her the prop. Sharon must have noticed the envelope too. Normally Emma would just get the same prop instead of actually getting a new one. When she took the next ‘love letter’, she saw the open flap.

         What? She kept it? Huh.

         Emma didn’t think anymore. She spent the rest of the act doing her ‘ping pong ball’ impression. Usually with every pass, either Ralph or Robert would try to intercept her. Normally she would be commenting on each encounter to the audience but that was not part of the play anymore.

         I sure hope the playwright isn’t in the audience. This would be so embarrassing.

         Finally she ended with Sharon. There was a sudden flash of hatred in the blonde’s eyes before she handed Emma another envelope, remarking that Brenda must now search for Sebastian, who had been sent away to the army. Emma could see that it was the sealed envelope she had given Sharon earlier. There was paper inside but the envelope was opened. As she walked towards the opposite side of the stage, she could see Robert waiting in the wings. Just inside the dark crevice, he past her revealing a mischievous grin. Emma stood next to Joe and watched the remaining Act play out. Robert was now meeting with Ralph. Their character’s discussing different ways to stop the letter from being delivered to Sebastian.

          “I need to tell you something.”

          “Huh?” Emma looked at her friend. “That’s a first.”

          “That letter. Is there something in it?” She nodded. “I know what it is. It’s from Aaron to you. Sharon’s furious.”

          “What?” Emma took out the letter. As she read, she became more confused. “I think it’s wonderful that you’re being given such an opportunity. You are a superb actress. If it were up to me, I would have had you as Maria. I’ll see about transferring to Woodsville, just to make your transition easier. Again congratulations, Emma. Aaron.”

          “Sharon probably thought it was for her. She’s upset that Aaron lost interest in her.”

          “Oh.” Emma knew better than to ask Joe how he knew.

         Everyone seems to forget he’s in the room when they gossip. Such a good listener.

          “Watch yourself, Emma. Stay with Robert or me during the intermission. I’ll also see about having some of the crew around.”

         Emma put her hand on his shoulder. “Thanks.” Her thoughts were more scattered now than at the start of the evening.

         Wow. I wonder how much this audience would pay to see behind-the-scenes. It’s like a soap opera. Does Aaron really mean it? I never gawk at him like the others and he’s always hamming it up for attention. Is he trying to flirt or is this another side of him no one has really seen?

         The curtain closed for intermission. Joe rushed over to Robert to talk about Emma’s safety. It was too late because Sharon had organized the chorus together. They surrounded Emma in the wings.

          “Well. It looks like we have a wanna-be on our hands.” Sharon crossed her arms over her chest, looking severely burned up. “Do you know what? I think this little slut needs a lesson about where her proper place is.” Emma could see some of the girls holding a few batons in their hands.

         Oh no. I’m not going to get out of this unscathed. Beaten up by a cheerleading squad. How embarrassing.

          “I can’t believe this.” Robert’s voice carried over the girl’s giggles, startling some of them into silence. “My best part. The high light of my performance, ruined by the Director’s axe.” Robert swept into middle of the girl’s ambush and pulled Emma close to him. He threw back his cape from his shoulder, “Why…what loveliness. What a vision before these poor eyes. Such grace in these wondrous hands holding such a foul object.” He traced the inside of her wrist.

         Oh. He’s reenacting the cut scene. I see. Clever boy.

         As he attempted to snatch the envelope, she flicked her hand out of his grip. Standing erect, she shook her head. “I believe that is for someone else.”

          “Oh?” Robert leaned closer to her, wrapping his cape over his bent arm. The girls, being pulled in to the seduction, forgot their mischief and watched the mini performance.”

          “Oh my heart breaks that you might be going to a man whose hand holds your affection. I weep at the image of such beauty in another gentleman’s arms.”

         Emma looked straight into Sharon’s eyes as if she was the audience. “But I have no lover.” Sharon’s hands formed into fists as she stepped closer.

          “Oh glorious day!” Robert whisked her back into his embrace. “I have finally found my true love.” Picking up the pace, he hastily added, “Now if you could so kind as to give me that crummy note, we could get on with it.”

         Applause surrounded Sharon and the duo as Aaron, Joe and the rest of the crew were clapping merrily. Robert, always the clown, pulled Emma back to her feet and placed his hands on her shoulders, causing her to bow in sync with him like some puppet. Sharon grunted and stormed off towards the stage. Her departure was followed by laughter. Emma couldn’t help but give her hero a great big hug.

         Oh that was close. One minute more and I would be leaving for Woodsville Hospital instead of the Theater.

         And Emma was leaving. This crazy stunt was the straw that made her decision more clear. Rather than face another season with this jealous, immature brat, she would go to Woodsville. If she could convinced Mr. Douglas, Robert and Joe might be able to accompany her.

         The people were returning to their seats. In a minute, she would go on stage to start Act two with such a duller version of what Robert correctly called “the high light of her performance.” This was the scene where she hoped to wow Mr. Douglas. Though Robert had induced the first half, the rest was of her running around the stage, finally popping Rob a good one. Even that scene, one of her favorites, was being taken away from her.

         The music started again. Sharon was on the other side of the wings, a slight grin appeared on her face.

         How childish can someone get? Laughing at being cut is so…stupid.

         And that’s what this was to Emma. All the insults, the cuts and childish behavior had been so unprofessional that she could just scream. Didn’t anyone around here take acting seriously anymore?

         Emma walked on stage again. On cue, Robert appeared opposite her. He acted casual, just walking along the street for some errands. Just as they came within arms reach, Robert lunged at her.

          “That letter if you please, Madam,” The sneer was almost believable if not for his usual wink. Emma faked a right and twirled past him like a basketball guard. She ran stage right, then stood looking around, as if she was looking for a way out. She couldn’t run off because Sharon was standing there with clenched fists.

         Oh great. Is she crazy? I can’t just walk into her claws and expect to return on stage. Oh this is so immature!

         Robert quickly came up, crying “Gotcha!” before attempting to capture her. That was all the time she needed. It also cause the audience to roar. Emma ducked and turned, running to the other side. She did go into the wing, waiting for Robert to follow her. He ran in with the broadest smile on his face.

         Glad someone’s enjoying this.

         She rushed out onto center stage. Facing the audience, she pretended to search the cheering spectators for a place to hide. Robert appeared and her cure that this scene was almost over. She could see Joe standing by Sharon. He gave her a quick nod.

         Just have to get to him and I’m safe.

         She took a step and her foot slipped off the floor, causing her to fall flat on her back and let go of the envelope.

          “Ooww.” She couldn’t help it. Her vision was spotty with the colored lights shining down from the stage’s ceiling. A strange smell of roses bombarded her nose. Her hand was feeling the ground. It was slippery.

          “Ah Ha!” Robert, trying to save the scene, jumped on top of her, exclaiming with pride, “Caught you at last.”

         Emma stayed in character and realized a way out. “I think not.” She finally was able to give him a blow to the stomach, not real but convincing enough to the audience. Robert responded with the most excruciating face. She shoved him over and stood up. Avoiding the slick spot she raced over to Joe, but soon she realized the envelope was still loose. Making an exaggerated gesture of looking at her empty hands, she turned around. The letter was right next to Robert. Emma dived for the prop, and, for an extra laugh, mock-kicked Robert over again. She turned to the audience, straightened her hat and nodded. A proud grin emerged as she marched towards Joe.

         The audience cheered. Joe put his arm around Emma for support and to ward off Sharon’s advance. Emma noticed several other crew members making a wall between her and the jealous actress. Joe merely smiled. Robert limped over to them and Sharon marched on stage, obviously fuming under her love-struck expression.

          “You O.K.?” asked Robert. “What happened?” Emma shoved her slippery hand in his face. He took a whiff. “Roses? Isn’t that what Sharon smells like?”

         She nodded. “It’s her scented Body Gel. The whole bathroom reeks of it every time she gets out of the shower.” Both men’s eyes grew very wide. “Joe, can I borrow some female crewmembers? I need to get into the ladies locker room unmolested.” With his nod, he set out to fetch some of his crew.

          “You’re not leaving? Emma, there’s still the final scene. You’re vital. It’s your soliloquy.” Robert looked aghast.

          “Emma.” The voice caused her to drop her shoulders. It was the last thing she wanted to hear. Martin stood there with a pained look on his face. Aaron was behind him with a blank face. “That little stunt was very unprofessional. We’re going to have to cut out your last scene.”

          “What?” roared Robert. Emma was grateful the orchestra was loud enough to drown the sound. Martin actually flinched.

          “She’s just caused us to lose valuable time and I…”

          “Enough,” interrupted Aaron. “I’ve had enough of this.” He walked around Martin and stood between Emma and the director. “First off, Sharon was about to punch her in the face if she ran into the wings.” Martin tried to sputter his protests, but Aaron cut him off. “I don’t care if she’s your niece. She’s a bitch. She’s made you cut too many of Emma’s scenes. Now, the play is a total fiasco. The only reason there’s a crowd here is because this town has loyal fans. Emma has been cheated and threatened all season. I’ve worked with many directors and been in countless plays and I can say this is the worst production ever to disgrace the stage! If you cut Emma, then I’m going to walk out now!” He folded his arms.

          “That goes for me as well.” Robert stood next to Aaron, all his humor completely disintegrated. “Emma and I have been in this company for six years. She deserves more respect than that.”

         Martin looked helplessly at them. Emma realized he was facing total failure at this point. Throwing his arms up in the air, he agreed. “All right. God help me! Sharon’s mother is going to kill me, but…” he sighed, pausing long enough to look at Emma. “I’m sorry dear. I agreed with Walter. If it wasn’t for Sharon’s persistent whining, you would have been Maria. And the cuts, Oh Jesus, I really should have stopped, but she kept telling me she would quit if I didn’t do it. I couldn’t handle my sister’s temper tantrums, so I kept giving in. I’m just sorry.”

         He walked away, shaking his head with each sullen step. Aaron and Robert faced Emma. She refrained from crying.

         Oh man. So it was Sharon all this time. Well, now that that’s done.

         Aaron put his hand on Robert’s shoulder. “I just found out all that from Walter. He’s in the audience right now. Martin won’t be in anymore productions for Windspring.”

          “Sharon too, for that matter.” Robert’s grin returned. The curtain closed as Joe returned with Emma’s guards. Emma nodded as she raced down to the locker room for her bag and clothes before her last scene came up. Returning, Emma handed her possessions to Joe and got ready. Robert and Aaron were now on stage dueling with swords. She couldn’t help but smile. There seemed to be a new bond between the two actors.

         Sharon had disappeared from the other wing. Emma wasn’t too concerned now. Joe whispered to her that he had clean up the slick and made sure there were no other ‘surprises.’

         With a final gasp from the audience, Emma could see Robert sprawled out on some bench in the background of the stage. Aaron was now heading towards the other wing. This was her cure.

         She emerged from the wings and the audience began to shout and cheer. She had to wait some time before they settled.

          “Sir. Sir. I have a message for you!” She rushed to Aaron stopping just short before him. The smile on his face had brightened as she neared. Was it for effect or was it for her? She handed him the letter, then followed him to center stage. He relayed the letter, stating that Maria was running away from her household to be with him.

         Sharon had walked out too early for her scene. Emma soon realized no one had told her about her uncle’s change of heart. She stopped just a few steps from the wing and was staring at the both of them. Some potted trees were blocking some of her from the audience. Good thing too.

         She looks ready to kill.

         Emma now had to perform her soliloquy and she was worried. What would Sharon do? Walking to center stage, Emma gave a long, heavy sigh of relief. She took a breath and began.

          “Well that job is over. I’m so exhausted with all this running around, I think I’ll take a vacation. I certainly earned a rest.” She turned to the side and crouched over, holding her small back. It still really hurt from the fall. The audience laughed.

         Suddenly Sharon burst on the scene. Emma could hear her call out Sebastian.

         Here it comes, Ohhh.

         Then she heard Aaron call out Maria. Suddenly the audience were roaring with laughter. Emma took a quick look back. She stayed composed despite the urge to grin. Aaron had saved the day again. He was embracing Sharon in a dip, kissing her mercilessly. Emma could almost see his tongue in her mouth. Sharon was trying to struggle, talk and balance at the same time. Emma realized it was perfect.

          “As you can see. Love is something that people shouldn’t mess with. Miscommunication had caused these two poor souls so much suffering. I wondered if they would ever be together. I wondered if I would survive, anyway. So Ladies and Gentlemen, I will depart for much more peaceful assignments, but before I go, I will have my say…”

         How appropriate a phrase…

          “Love is something you should not try to cross messages. It’s not only bad for your loved ones.” She took her crippling pose, “But it’s murder on the messenger.”

         With another bow, she limped off the stage and into Joe’s awaiting arms. The clapping was bringing tears into her eyes.

         Aaron let go of Sharon and they finished the last scene with no more glitches. The curtain came down and the applause followed it’s decent. Aaron came up to Emma as Robert ran over to the opposite wing with Sharon and Ralph.

         Aaron nudged Emma. “Go last.” She looked at him with wide eyes. Only the leading roles were allowed last. “Trust me. You deserve it.”

         The curtain came up. Ralph and the minor actors took turns to bow. Then Aaron ran out. Robert roughly pushed Sharon on stage. She ran towards center stage and took Aaron’s hand. They bowed quickly and then separated walking back to the line. Robert was next and Emma couldn’t move. His dramatic bow only cause the audience to clapped a bit louder. He faced Emma with a smiled and extended his hand.

          “Go on,” prompted Joe.

         Oh, God. This is so exciting.

         Emma took a breath and rushed on stage. The audience thundered. She took Robert’s hand and both bowed to the public. Emma watched as people stood right up from their seats. A standing ovation!

         The curtain came down and rose up again several times before coming down completely. Robert then hoisted Emma up on his shoulder. This was more for her protection against the chorus and Sharon than for glory. Aaron, Joe and the rest of the cast and crew gathered around cheering.

         Emma immediately took her bag when she was set down and ran into nearest broom closet to change. She emerged to find Robert standing guard. He had a sullen expression on his face.

          “I can’t blame you now,” was all he said. There was a sort of an understanding between them. As they appeared in the open foyer, a crowd came rushing over with flowers and cheers. Emma smiled as she and Robert accepted the bouquets with thanks and tears. She caught a glance at Aaron over by the exterior doors. With another wave of gratitude, she pushed towards him.

          “Aaron,” she called. He helped make her room, taking her hand and easing with her load. “I just wanted to thank you for everything.”

          “It was nothing. As one professional to another, I thought there was too much jealousy getting mixed up with the performance. Walter agrees with me.” He looked back to the Auditorium doors. Emma could make out the jolly Walter, giving another patron a cheerful earful on his medical ordeal. He saw his two actors and gave them a big wave before returning to the conversation. “I’m sorry about the letter. Sharon took it out of content.”

         Emma felt her burden lift. “I understood it was just for congratulations.” she replied matter-of-factly.

          “You know,” he remarked. “I never met a more mature teenager than you.” He smiled. “It’s a pleasant relief not to be pawed at.”

         Emma grinned. “Rule #1 of performing theater: Never get romantic with any other cast member.”

          “You’re all right Emma. You got a great group of friends.” He winked at Emma and stepped out of the Rec. Center. Rob and Joe joined her at the door as he walked away. “See you around, Moody Trio.”

          “Miss Emma.” Mr. Douglas, a tall thin man in an immaculate gray suit, strutted up to them. Sharon was coming up from the side. There was a look of supreme disappointment on her face. Sharon must have been waiting for Emma to return to the locker room. “Wonderful performance. I haven’t had such a laugh in a long time. That chase scene was perfect. I was wondering if you made your decision about joining the Forest Players?”

          “I have,” replied Emma. “I’m sorry, but I can’t leave. This is my community. My friends are here.” She looked at Sharon, a small smiled crept to her lips. “I don’t think I want to skip another season.”

         The man was visibly disappointed, but still he smiled. “I understand loyalty. It’s good to see it in such young people. Ah well.” He strolled out the doors to the parking lot. Sharon rushed past the Moody Trio, trying to flag him down.

         Emma put her arms around each guy’s shoulders. They, in turn reached around hers. “I guess we’re still a team, huh guys,” remarked Robert, “Man, someone should write this evening down. It would make a great play.”

          “You know what Shakespeare said,” laughed Emma.

         And maybe he really was talking about what happens behind the curtain?

© Copyright 2003 Elaine Lincoln (elincoln at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/681927-The-World-of-the-Stage