*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/685485-My-Story
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #685485
just trying to figure out what it is in life I am ment to do
My story

There I was fresh out of college with a world of opportunities, not for what most are thinking, I am a health care aide not a glamorous job, true. But one with a little power, I am able to bring a little joy into someone’s life.

I found out how quickly I became attached to “my little seniors.” The one’s that allowed me into their lives. Shared their memories and stories, when I was a student I went to work at the same Personal care home that my Grandmother lived in. I found myself visiting not only her, but the other residents that lived there. They not only occupied my mind, but I found many invading my heart.

There was this one woman just brightened my day; she did everything with a smile. I used to call her ‘MY Gina’, when I was working she would always roll up to me and give a little tug on the back of my uniform, this way we could have our daily chat, Walking into her room you were transported to a place so familiar, yet quite undefined. Looking thru her photo albums I could see her life transform from when she was a school girl to this incredible woman with such conviction. She was 95 years old when she passed away. You see once you let these wonderful people into your heart they never leave.

The fear that I had as student was that I would become used to death, desensitized once the person dies; it never gets any easier I see this now. But I am glad in a way. I think that I would feel less human if I didn’t care about these people. Many had such amazing lives. I don’t think it was by chance that our paths crossed, I am meant to meet these loving souls, and I am meant to care for and about them.

5 months after I finished the course, and I questioned if this was what I really wanted as a Career? What I’m certain of is that I enjoy the time that I spend with the residents. “My Residents” as I call them. And there are many of them that I adore. I have started too cut out a few of the obituaries of “my Residents” and keep them in a special box, I am sure as the years go by, and the box will be full of my friends. The wonderful people who enlighten my life

I just got myself a full time position and suddenly I found myself in a car accident some kid without a license decided to take a chance,

Not that day and not with this person, as luck would have it I was on my way to work when my fiancée and I were hit from behind.

WHIPLASH not a word you want to hear (Or experience). I was so lost do I sit here and wait for fate to make its final choice or do I get off my behind and dust myself off and try and figure what I am meant to do?

I got my self up and dusted off, I was lucky enough to have some great support, My MPI lady as I call her really came thru, she introduced me to a bevy of great people, I had Victor an RN take great interest in my case, he encouraged me that told me that my pain may hurt me but it won’t harm me, he then introduced me to my personal trainer Paul whom must have great patience, after all he got me into better shape then before my accident. And finally Tracy, my career councilor she saw something in me that I never knew, she helped me see what was missing in my life, as much as I loved my seniors, I was missing the real passion that I had as a student, I loved to be by these people. You know talk with them, walk with them. But as a Health care aide I only had precious little moments to spare, and then on to the next.

Tracy got me to think about being a support worker with people with disabilities, so here I am now, working in a house, with three wonderful women, only problem is, I can’t seem to see what their disabilities are.

My one lady she asked me why God made her so different and I told her because he loves her, she was put on this earth for me and others to learn from. She smiled at me and said “Ok Mira” and rolled her eyes.

But what she doesn’t know is that she has taught me a lot!! About myself and others, And for that I am truly grateful.
© Copyright 2003 Mira Lambert (mira at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/685485-My-Story