*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/692574-Timeless-Treasure
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Drama · #692574
Treasures endure through time because of why they exist.
Timeless Treasure
by Vivian Gilbert Zabel


          A young woman studied herself in the full length mirror. The high neck of the lace wedding gown accented her slender throat. A coronet of blue flowers held the veil cascading over her Gibson-girl-poofed blond hair. Rather than meeting the fashion dictates of the late 1800s, the dress’ sleeves hugged her arms from shoulder to wrist, and no bustle adorned the back.

          “You look lovely, dear.” The bride’s mother, an older version of her daughter, sat in a chair beside the bed in the center of the massive room.

          “I don’t know, Mama. Something is missing.” With a quick turn, she looked over her shoulder to view the back of her dress.

          After a brief tap on the door, an elderly woman entered, an oblong leather jewelry case in hand. Although her face, wrinkled and lined, showed her advancing age, she stood straight, her back unbowed, head held high.

          “Meredith,” the grand-dame announced, “I’ve brought you a wedding gift.” She handed the leather case to the bride.

          “Grandmama! Thank you.” Meredith nibbed her lip. “Is... is this...”

          “Goodness, child, open it and find out.” Her grandmother snapped.

          Hiding her smile, Meredith opened the thin, narrow box. On a bed of dark-blue velvet rested a heavy gold chain; an oval-shaped pendant, with a sapphire nestled in its face, was attached.

          “Ohhh, Grandmama, it is... it’s your pendant watch.” Dark blue eyes met older, faded blue ones. “Thank you. Thank you so very much. You know I’ve always thought it is beautiful. But... but, why give it to me?”

          “Since I haven’t a daughter, and you are my only granddaughter, my giving the watch to you is right.” The woman reached with a trembling hand to touch the sapphire.

          Meredith kissed her grandmother’s cheek. “I’ll wear it today.” She smiled wistfully as she returned to the mirror.

          As she removed the necklace from its nest, her mother took it from her hands. “Here, stand still. I’ll help you.” Meredith’s mother slipped the chain around her daughter’s neck after her daughter laid the case on the bed.

          Meredith sighed as the pendant lay against the champagne colored lace with satin glistening beneath. The deep blue stone reflected the glow of her eyes.

          “I knew something was missing.” She faced her grandmother. “The pendant is just what this dress needed.” Clasping the old woman’s hand in hers, Meredith smiled. “I can’t thank you enough. I’ll cherish your gift forever.”

          “Humph, I... I had better go so I can be seated.” Her words sounded abrupt, but the touch on her granddaughter’s cheek lighted soft and gentle.

          “The time!” Meredith slipped a thumbnail into a nearly invisible line along one side of the pendant, flipping the front open. A miniature watch, opposite an engraving inside the lid, revealed that the ceremony would start in minutes.

          “Momma, you and Grandmama must go, now. I will be down in seconds.”

          After the two older women left, Meredith gazed into the mirror one more time before moving toward the door. Smiling with joy, she left the room to begin a new life.


         Years came and went. Meredith had watched as changes in the smooth complexion of her face and neck recorded the passing of time. Her memories grew in number: the death of her husband in World War I, the death of her daughter’s husband and one of her sons in World War II, the Roaring Twenties, the Depression... so many sad memories. She stood studying herself in the mirror as she had many years before.

          “It seems just yesterday I stood in this very spot dressing for my wedding.” She softly laughed. “I certainly don’t look a bride now, but definitely like the great-grandmother I am.” She shook her head. “Four children, six grandchildren, and now... God has been good to me.”

          In a few steps, she reached the dresser where her jewelry box stood. Opening a drawer, she removed the pendant watch her grandmother had given her. She laid it on the velvet of the leather carrying case in which it arrived nearly fifty years before.

          Briefly touching the blue stone, Meredith whispered, “Time for you to have a new home.”

          Later, Meredith opened the door to a hospital room and entered. A young woman, not more than a girl, half-sat with the bed raised behind her. In her arms, she cuddled a baby wrapped in a pale pink blanket. The new mother glanced up when she heard the door open.

          “Grandma! Come see your great-granddaughter.”

          “Janna, I didn’t know you had the baby in here. I’ll wait outside.” Meredith started back through the door.

          “No! Don’t leave. No one will know. The rules keeping people, especially family members, away from the babies is silly. But, come on, come see your namesake,” Janna begged her grandmother.

          Closing the door, Meredith crossed to the bed. “My namesake?”

          “Yes, Grady and I both want Meredith to be her name. We’ll call her Merry.” With a giggle, she added, “Good thing we had a girl. We couldn’t agree on a boy’s name.”

          Meredith smiled slightly, gazing at the pale rose face topped by a stock of black hair. “She’s beautiful, so beautiful.”

          “We may be prejudiced, but I think so, too.”

          “Oh, I brought you a gift.” Opening her purse, Meredith removed the leather case. “Since your hands are full, I’ll...”

          “No, no,” Janna breathed as she recognized the box. “Here, you need to hold little Merry.” She lifted the baby.

          “Are you sure? Hospitals don’t even like other people in the same room with a baby, but to hold...” Even as her voice hesitated, Meredith lay the case beside Janna before gathering the pink bundle into her arms.

          As she picked up the leather case, Janna kept her sight on the wonder in her grandmother’s face. With a bemused smile, she finally looked at the case in her hands. “Why are you giving me your pendant watch, Grandma?” She opened the lid to expose the antique necklace.

          Without removing her vision from the sleeping babe in her arms, Meredith answered, “You mother never cared for it, and neither do either of your cousins.” She shrugged. “You’ve always liked it; so who better to have it?”

          “Thank you, Grandma. I’ll take very good care of it.” Janna slipped the chain over her head, allowing the pendant to lie against the coarse hospital gown. With a flip of her nail, she opened the top so that she could see the watch inside. “It still works!”

          “Of course.” Meredith brushed her lips across the baby’s forehead before bending to place Merry in Janna’s arms. She kissed her granddaughter’s cheek before standing to smile at mother and child. “The treasure you hold is much more valuable than the one you wear, Janna.” After a brief pause, she whispered, “Thank you for giving her my name.”


         Twenty years passed, Grandma Meredith no longer lived, but every time Janna wore the pendant watch or saw it lying in its drawer, memories of her grandmother flooded her mind. This night Janna wanted to remember to take the pendant with her.

          “Hurry, Grady. We don’t want to be late for the rehearsal. Merry would never forgive us.” Janna slipped her feet into her shoes.

          “I’m ready. I’ve been waiting for you.” Grady leaned against the door frame, arms folded across his chest. “How do you do it?”

          Janna adjusted his tie before sliding her arms around his neck “How do I do what?”

          “Manage to look as young and beautiful as you still do.” He bent to kiss her before muttering, “And sexy.”

          “Hmmm, by living with you for twenty-two years, I guess.” A smile lit her face. “But, we still need to leave, or we’ll be late.”

          Once the rehearsal finished, the wedding party and special guests gathered in the private dinning room of a local restaurant. Janna and Grandy and Ross' parents, Mary and Shay, sat at a table next to the head table where Merry, her fiancé Ross, and their attendants ate and visited.

          As she watched her daughter, Janna gasped, “Oh, no, I forgot!”

          “Forgot what, sweetheart?” Grady asked.

          “The pendant watch. It’s still at home in my jewelry box.” She lay her hand against her forehead. “I wanted to give it to Merry tonight so she can wear it tomorrow.”

          “Just tell her. You’ll be with her as she gets dressed and can give it to her then.” Grady enfolded her hand in his. “Don’t worry. Merry will understand.”

          “Of course, you’re right. I just wanted to give it to her tonight.” She raised their joined hands to kiss his lightly.

          “Wonder what’s wrong?” Grady asked as he watched the restaurant manger hurry toward them.

          “Sir?” the manager whispered. “We have an emergency and need to move everyone to the basement.”

          “The basement? What...” Glancing toward the windows although unable to see past the curtains, Janna half-sobbed, “The weather... a tornado?”

          “Yes, ma’am. Now, we need everyone to move quickly.”

          “I’ll start telling everyone at the head table. Shay,” Grady addressed Merry’s father-in-law-to-be, “will you start on the other side of the room?” Turning back to the manager, he asked, “Where are the basement stairs?”

          “Go to the hall and turn left. The fourth door, sir. Now, I’ll go tell others. Hurry!”

          People moved from the dinning room, to the hall, and down the stairs quickly but under control. The fears weren’t displayed, but several of the group trembled inwardly as the customers huddled beneath the floors of the restaurant. A battery-operated radio spewed the words telling the path of the approaching tornado. Janna buried her face into her husband’s shoulder, as their daughter stood in Ross’ arms. Cries and tears flowed from some of the people, but many waited stoically. Most prayed.

          When Janna felt she couldn’t endure the tension of waiting any longer, the weatherman on the radio announced, “The tornado has passed over Richardson Road and Main Street and is headed north, northeast. Those of you in the northeast quadrant of the city take immediate cover, underground is best.”

          “It missed us,” Janna breathed against her husband’s jacket.

          “By about two blocks, but its path...” Grady stopped. If she hasn’t realized, there’s no need to tell her now. He smoothed his hand over her hair. We’ll know soon enough.

          Since access to the storm-destroyed area was restricted until the next day, Grady and Janna took a room at a motel until they could view the damage. Driving as close as allowed, they walked over eight blocks through a war zone. Finally, they stared at the area where their home, or the part left, remained. Many of the houses in their neighborhood had disappeared, only a slab of concrete to mark where they once stood. Some two-story houses were missing the second floor and roof. Their house had one wall sheared off, leaving the rest of the building standing like a doll house with the back removed.

          “Our bedroom is half gone,” Janna half-sobbed. “I’m... I’m sorry. We’re so much better off than others here.” Straightening her shoulders, she gave a quick nod of her head. “Shall we see what’s left?”

          “Are you sure you’re ready for this?” Grady touched her cheek with his hand. “We can wait. I’ll have someone come in and board up the openings. Then we can... look later.”

          “No, let’s at least look it over.” She looked at the partial house. “Do you think it’s safe?”

          “The inspector told me it’s remarkably stable. He seemed quite surprised, in fact.”

          “Then let’s see if our wedding stuff is okay. We’ll pack up what we need for this evening and to get by for a few days.” Janna wiped the tears that insisted on flowing despite her attempt to stop them. “We do still have a wedding tonight.”

          Making their way over the debris scattered over the yard and drive, the couple entered what was left of their bedroom. The closet with their clothes remained intact, but the dresser, where Janna’s jewelry box usually sat, lay on its side, partially broken.

          “Oh, no, my jewelry box is gone!” Janna cried as she searched under the pieces of the dresser and under the bed. “Here’s the leather case, but where’s the pendant?”

          “We’ll look as long as we can, but first let’s get our clothes ready, okay?” Grady suggested as he removed suitcases from the shelf of the closet.

          Later that evening, Janna tearfully told her daughter that she wouldn’t be able to wear the necklace for her wedding. “I’m sorry, Merry. Your dad and I looked for hours, but we couldn’t find any trace of the pendant.”

          Merry wrapped her arms around her mother. “Of course I wanted to wear the watch, but you couldn’t help what happened. It’s not your fault, Mom.”

          “But, if I hadn’t forgotten it last night...”

          Her fingers covered her mother’s lips. “No, Mom, I don’t want you to say ‘if.’ I hate to know that the pendant is gone because it meant so much to the family, but it is not your fault.” Merry hugged her mother tight. “You’re here, and that’s all that matters.”


         Another fifty-three years sped by, as time so often does. Janna perched on a bench in the garden of the assisted-living facility where she and Grady had lived for nearly fifteen years. The fragrance of the flowers wafted around her while the colors filled her senses as she waited for her husband and son to return from their shopping trip.

          I’ve lived with and loved that man for seventy-five years, and I know our time is limited, her thoughts wandered, even as her eyes did over the peaceful garden. I want to enjoy every moment we have left together.

          “Here you are. I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” Grady lowered himself beside her on the bench. “Justin said he’ll be back about six to pick us up for the party.”

          “He’s such a kind boy.” With a shake of her head, Janna corrected herself, “I guess I shouldn’t call him a boy, though. He’s over fifty-years old. Oh, my, how time flies.”

          “Yes, dear, time does pass by so fast. Now, though, we’d better go get dressed for our party.” He took her hand in his as they strolled toward their bottom-floor apartment. “I found the perfect gift for you. Do you want it now or at the party?” With a chuckle, he answered his own question. “I think I’ll give it to you just before we leave. I want to share the moment with just you.”

          “What did you find for me? Come on, tell, please.” Janna gave a pretend pout when her husband simply shook his head.

          Once Janna finished applying the light makeup she now wore, she slipped her dress over her head. The blue matched the color her eyes had been when they first married. Once dressed, she walked into the living room. Grady rose from his chair to place an oblong package in her hands.

          “Happy anniversary, sweetheart,” he whispered before kissing her.

          With a gleeful smile, Janna unwrapped the package to reveal an antique leather jewelry case. “What... I don’t understand. This looks like the case I’ve had forever.”

          “Open it. Go ahead, open it.” The excitement in Grady’s voice added to her confusion.

          Once she opened the case, Janna gasped in shock. A heavy gold chain with a oval-shaped pendant attached lay on the bed of blue velvet. A sapphire graced the top of the pendant. Janna raised questioning eyes to her husband.

          “Turn around. Let me help you put it on.” Grady took the necklace and slipped it around her neck. “I saw this in the window of a jewelry store about three months ago. When I asked about it, the jeweler had quite a story to tell. It had been in his family for over fifty years. You might say it fell into their laps.” Laughing at his own joke, he paused a moment. “His father found it in their gutter one fall when he was cleaning the leaves out.”

          Facing Grady, one hand holding the pendant, Janna asked, “Do you think it could possibly be mine? After all these years?”

          “Well, the engraving inside the lid is the same.”

          “Really? Are you sure? Your eyes aren’t very strong.”

          “Sweetheart, the jeweler looked through a magnifying glass. It still reads ‘To my loving wife, Martha, from Richard 1868.’”

          “Then it is really mine, after all these years.”


         The days grew hotter as summer covered the country. The spring flowers faded away, and sturdier ones took their place. In the house that had passed through generations, a bride studied herself in the full length mirror. Her dress of champagne lace over satin had been worn by brides in her family for over a hundred years. The high neck flattered her slender throat, and the sleeves hugged her arms from shoulders to wrists.

          “You look gorgeous, Misty,” the bride’s younger sister declared.

          “I don’t know, Amber. Something seems to be missing.” The bride turned so that she could glance over her shoulder to view the back of the dress.

          A knock on the door was followed by the entrance of a white-haired woman still showing signs of the beauty she once had been.

          “Hi, Gran,” the bride welcomed her great-grandmother. “I’m glad you were able to come. Is Gramps here, too?”

          “Yes, we couldn’t miss your wedding, dear.” The elderly woman hobbled toward her great-granddaughter. “I have a special gift for you. I think you'll find that this is just what that gown needs.” Janna handed the bride an oblong leather case.


© Copyright 2003 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/692574-Timeless-Treasure