*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/698218-Journey-Never-End-Intro--Chapter-Two
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #698218
Everyone wants Fi dead...including those she thought she could trust. A fantasy novel...
Note to Readers:
This is my first draft so be brutal and gentle at the same time. Please R&R!!! And keep in mind this was written for children and teenagers!

And so you know...I call this my Anterea Realm Series and this of course is the First book...I think they'll be three in all...The stupid thing wouldn't let me put that in the title...AND I do have a lot more...but it's a matter of being on the right computer to put the rest on here anyways...


Anterea Relam: Journey Never End.


By: Ahem..pseudonym


Preface:



I haven’t always been the extraordinary creature that I am now. And no I’ve never been modest either, but once upon a time, I was horrible. And I was unhappy, very unhappy. Of course, being a horrible person, I never would notice how unhappy I was. If I ever felt the slightest twinge of unhappiness I would simply fling myself head first into any party or I would just take it out on the servants. Because that’s what a Princess is expected to do, and that’s what I am, a princess.
I do not know things fare in your realm, but in mine, Anterea, princesses are expected to act a certain way. They are supposed to be loyal, independent, kind, sweet, and gentle. I was none of these, I could only be described as selfish, helpless, snobbish, and bitter. Not someone you’d want in line for the royal elf crown.
I can place some of the blame on my awful behavior and attitude on my brother, the king of Keadura, Dein. You see, my parents were assassinated when I was seven and my brother, an eighteen-year-old, wise beyond his year’s fellow, became king and my guardian. Unfortunately, while he makes a great king he doesn’t make much of a surrogate father to me. I have two other older brothers, one was ten when my parents died and the other was sixteen, both to young to be much of a help to Dein. So my brother was on his own, at eighteen he was head of the royal elfs family.
Right after my parents’s assassination he ordered me to be taking to one of the largest cities in our county, Kali, because of it’s excellent war fortress where I would certainly be safe. While I was living in the very fashion and party conscience Kali, my ten-year old half- dragini brother Knet, to a fortress in the White Cap Mountains along the Draginia border.
Time went by and after a while I came quite attached to the Kalian way of life children were expected to follow and I didn’t want to go back to my former home, the capital, Colia. Children, in Kali, have their own special parties and functions and I seemed to fit into this sort of pattern of life amazingly well. In the capital, I was always being forced into sword lessons and riding lessons and self-defense lessons and the boringest of all political lessons, all of which I was not interested in as a young child. So when my poor unsuspecting brother tried to take me to the capital he was surprised to find a screaming, furious, eight-year-old on his hands. I think he still has the scars.
Dein didn’t know what to do, so he gave in. Therefore I had won the first large temper-tantrum I had ever thrown. Many more over the years would follow, but most of the time my brother would not be privileged to witness, except for the one I would every year when he tried to convince me to come home with him.
Eventually, I didn’t even need the tantrum and he just stopped asking. And I was basically free to raise myself, because the nannies and maid-servants that attended me did nothing but pat my head and tell me what a good girl I was, so all disciplinary actions on myself were left to my charge. An action I didn’t think needed to be taken.
For the majority of my years in Kali, I enjoyed the rich idleness of the wealthy and royal. I had my lessons of reading, writing, and languages, but they never strained my mind beyond that of a thread’s width. My most difficult part of my day, were my magic lessons. Magic, in this realm, can never be taught. You’re either born with it or you’re not born with it, but in order for it to be used how it should be, you have to learn magic. Doesn’t make much sense to me. Never has, even as my magic instructor, Sir Huble would drone on and on about verb conjugations and correct pronunciations of diphthongs or whatever, it never made sense. Finally, on one very irritating day I just snapped at Sir Huble to give me the stupid spells for useful things like getting rid of unsightly pimples or creating silk from thin air or he shall be dismissed. He got all huffy then and said I needed to understand the rudiments of magic first before I started any spells. And I told him that he need to understand that I was the one who was paying him and he would teach me whatever I wanted him to. After that, magic got much more interesting.
I can understand how the faeries and sorcerists desire more magic. The stuff is a bit addicting, the way it leaves your body tingling and your senses feeling as if you’ve just encountered something sweetly wonderful after you’ve performed some feat. However, I suppose its no excuse for what they have tried to do in the past and in the present.
Faeries and sorcerists have always been jealous of the lands we elfs have owned for thousands of years. I can’t say I blame the sorcerists, with the rotten, rocky, land they have, but they can conjure life-like illusions better than elfs can and that’s how they managed all these years. Faeries, however, are just power-hungry. With them, more land, means more magic. Land or more specifically the life in the land feeds faeries’s magic. The trees, the vegetation, the animals all give the faeries energy just by living. The faeries don’t suck the life from these creatures, but just sort of share their life. Which would explain why the faeries have never been interested in the sorcerist land. The sorcerists’s country, Sylane, is cold and lifeless and is basically all rock. The only creatures that live there are sorcerists, and they are believed to have come from my own Keadura years and years ago when the sorcerists and elfs lived side by side.
But those days are gone. For years the sorcerist, the faeries, and we elfs have fought among us, squabbling over land and getting into full-blown raging wars. But this is the way of living and the only way us three magical races can remember.
In recent years, elfs have had a new ally and have needed one sorely, for though elfs are one of the most powerful creatures we are still yet human beings. Our new ally has been none but the previously fierce dragini. Draginia have been the country beside us for as long as we elfs have lived in Keadura, but never until about fifty years ago had we allied with them. Draginis are historically fierce people and understandably why considering the magic ability they posses when they focus themselves to use it. This magic ability cannot be measured by any means, but along with this great power they have two burdens. The first being, they can never use this power unless they are under severe emotional stress like being tortured or something and the second is their true form is so terrifying most get nightmares for glancing. I personally think they aren’t that bad, but they certainly could be scary if you hadn’t lived with a brother who for the first seven years of your life who would purposefully wait around corners in his dragini form just to scare you. Their dragini form is that of a large reptile and their appearance usually coincide with their human form appearance. (Black hair, green eyes; Green scales with Black specks.) Draginis have proven in the past to be successful allies and ever so much more in the present.
So why am I telling you all this, oh reader? You know now, that I grew up as a spoiled little girl and a little bit about the countries around me, but what for? Ah, well every thing I’ve told you have its good reason and everything I haven’t has it’s own. There are horribly delicious turns and twists in my stories that you hopefully aren’t prepared for, but cheerfully I encourage you to remain in that state, for nothing is better than a story with a surprise ending.
Now I shall begin the story about a very spoiled princess…Princess Fiore of the Queen Heleia and Felix the son of Huuan, who is also known as myself.




chapter one




For the last time, my hair was pulled so hard I was sure I had been scalped barehanded. My eyes watering, I stood upruptly to my feet, in the mirror in front of me I could see that my cheeks were flushed and my eyes were hot, and I turned to the culprit behind me.
It was a young girl about two years younger than my vast seventeen years, with big doey brown eyes and bright red hair cut all the way to her head, On her face was an intense look of fear. Good, I thought satisfactorily in the back of my mind, She deserves to be afraid.
“That’s it!” I snarled making sure my face was particularly foreboding, “You are dismissed!”
“B-But Princess- I-I” she stammered her own eyes getting watery.
“Tell Tamsy on your way out that she may come in and do my hair.” I ordered turning my back toward her and sitting huffily down at my dressing table once again. From the corner of my eye I could see the girl behind me, in the mirror, hesitating and then finally to run crying out of the room.
I rolled my eyes at my reflection. The stupid girl had pulled my hair one too many times and I just simply would not stand for it. With a sigh, I picked up my hairbrush and tenderly as possible ran my hairbrush through my tangled red curls. I knew my hair could be on the tad messy side after taken down from the elaborate styles I wore during the day, but really if the girl can’t even brush my hair without causing pain what was the point of paying her worthless hide?
And speaking of worthless hide, where was Tamsy?
“TAMSY! GET YOUR FLESHY BACKSIDE IN HERE!” I shouted, “I need to be ready in time for Lady Keileila’s party!” Really! Aren’t there any good servants these days? I purposefully rose from my dressing chair again and strode across the room roaring:
“TAMSY! YOU HAG MY HAIR NEEDS DRESSING!!” The plump, red- cheeked, middle-aged women came running into my room, gasping for breath.
“I-am-here-to-serve,-your-majesty.” She said between gasped. I threw the brush in my hand at her, I heard it hit her pillowy body with a soft thump, and turned back to the dressing table.
“Brush and dress my hair.” I ordered sharply sitting down and shaking the curls that just brushed my shoulders with a brisk turn of my head, “And for once be quick about it! Bregen is supposed to come get me just after dusk.” I said commandingly over my shoulder. The woman, her breath still coming in short, little breaths, came over to me, dropped a little curtsy and gave the proper “yes, your majesty,” ritual I saw everyday. I sniffed, servants could be so stupid. Did they think that a simple curtsy done as was fitting for a servant would make my hair perfect for the party? There are more important things after all than stupid servants doing their normal stupid things. I glared angrily at her.
“Just get to work, and hurry up! If my brother has to wait you’ll pay for it!” I said curtly.
Tamsy dropped another curtsy and quickly grabbed the brush from the floor and came towards me. She gingerly started to work the brush through my curls.
“Not that one!” I said suddenly seeing the brush in her hand. “That one had been on the floor, get the other one on the dressing table.” I said impatiently. “Do you think I’d let a dirty brush pulled through my hair? I mean, really!” I huffed.
Tamsy dropped one of those moronic curtsies again and murmured a “forgive me, my princess” put the brush on the dressing table and picked up another instead. I watched her just to make sure she didn’t make a mistake, servants always seem to be doing that you know.
Finally the stupid servant started to gently brush my hair, carefully working through the tangles. The quietness of the room and the gentleness of the brush lulled me to close my eyes. I sat like that for some moments enjoying the feel of my hair being slowly untangled through Tamsy’s precise and practiced movements.
“Are you excited, princess, to be going back home?” asked Tamsy softly. My eyes flew open and I glared at her through the mirror.
“Kali is my home, not some backward Capital City.” I said emphatically fuming inside. Tamsy paused in her patient stroking then asked in a quiet voice.
“But that’s where you were born, your highness, and that’s where your family resides.” She continued brushing this time with long, deep, strokes now that the tangles were out. I could watch the brush slide through my hair straitening out the curls and Tamsy would start a new stoke and the curls would bounce right back up as curly and unruly as ever.
Coldly, as was due to a servant, I answered her:
“Just because you were born in a city doesn’t mean it’s your home. And as for my family,” I said watching as Tamsy gently piled my hair on the top of my head using some small diamond covered combs and began making small twists and braids worked everywhere into my hair.
“I belong with my family just as you belong in the presence of a princess. ” I said spitefully. Tamsy glanced up at me in the mirror.
“Ah, but your majesty, I am here.” Anger flashed through me at her insolence. But before I could answer I heard a voice behind me say,
“Wise words, good woman, too bad they’re wasted on this evil sister of mine.” In the mirror, I could see a square jaw, a grinning mouth, mischievous gray and blue square eyes (one is gray one is blue), and the overall clownish face of my older brother.
“Good evening, Bregen.” I greeted politely smiling at him through the mirror, wondering how much of the conversation he had heard and finally concluding that I didn’t care anyway. He can hear what I truly think of the family, in fact I’d gladly tell anyone.
“It is a lovely evening, indeed, isn’t it brother?” I asked smiling seraphically. Bregen just stared, bewilderedly. I tried to maintain my smile, but managed to send him a politely quizzical look. He shook his head as if to get images out of his head and then gave sort of a slow lopsided smile.
“You surely like to be top proper, don’t yeh? I’d forgotten that, but I guess it’s been a year or so since I’d seen you last.” He scratched his head staring at my reflection in the mirror.
“I suppose, I do,” I smiled toothily, while I watched Tamsy put the finishing touch of the last cream-colored rose bud anchored in my hair. My hair was tastefully scattered with them and it did suit me, I thought gazing critically at myself.
I turned in the dressing table to look at Bregen with my own eyes and not merely his reflection.
“You have gotten taller, brother.” I said eyeing him. “And it’s been four years.” I gracefully rose from the seat, telling Tamsy as I rose to fetch my sky blue lace fan to match the small rosettes along the neckline of my cream-colored satin dress I had on. She rushed away to comply dropping the familiar curtsy before she practically ran into the connecting closet room.
“It’s really been four?” Bregen frowned, “Yeah, I guess I was twenty-three then and you were what twelve?” I smiled in a gentle manner.
“I was thirteen and you were twenty-two.” I countered respectfully. Tamsy came rushing back into the room, bearing the fan. I took it and opened it and started fanning, not to cool myself, but merely out of habit as something to do with one’s hand.
“I want my drop blue topaz necklace and the earrings that match.” I said sharply to Tamsy. She dropped the curtsey and scurried out of the room this time going into the other closet room.
“Time flies, eh?” said Bregen looking uncomfortable as he glanced at the door Tamsy had just gone through and back at me. I saw no reply worth saying and simply smiled.
I watched with practiced Kalian eye that this made Bregen exceedingly uncomfortable. I felt a little measure of satisfaction. He, along with Dein, deserved to suffer a little. Bregen was in cahoots with Dein, dragging me back to the stupid capital city.
“So-uh-“ he cleared his throat, “Are you all packed and ready for tomorrow?” He asked uncertainly, I could tell he was trying to gauge my reaction.
I smiled.
“I am indeed packed, but as for ready for tomorrow…I am afraid I am sadly lacking, considering that Dein has threatened me if I didn’t go.” My voice remained polite and cheerful. Bregen gave me a dubious look.
“Well-“ he paused looking down at his feet. Inwardly, I smiled non-Kalians were so obvious with their emotions. Like reading a book.
“Dein- I mean- we think it’s best if you-uh come live with us cause- uh- you need to be with your family-I mean er- us.” He looked hopefully up at me. “You understand?” I smiled again.
“Perfectly, thank you brother.” He shifted uncomfortably.
“Good.” He mumbled looking at his feet again. I smiled more brightly.
“Now, you may tell Dein that I refuse to go.” His head shot up.
“What?” he said, “But Fi you ha-“
“I have to stay here.” I said firmly keeping my sweet voice well in place along with my smile.
“Fi, you don’t understand-“
“I understand perfectly1” I snapped. Bregen was immediately silenced looking at me with astonishment.
“I understand that I am happy in Kali. I understand all of my friends are here, and most of all I understand that my family is here.” I said angrily. “Not in Colia. It is here that I’m going to live and Dein cannot or will not make me leave for some countrified uncivilized capital tomorrow.” Bregen was looking at me as if someone had pricked a pin into his belly and all of his insides were deflated out of him.
“But Fi- Dein he-well- he knew you would-well- not be happy- so he….” Bregen trailed off and muttered something. I glared at him, I had long abandoned my attempt to appear kind and sweet.
“What?” I demanded. Bregen reluctantly looked in my face.
“He-he…”
“WHAT?” I shouted,
“He gave a royal decree.” Bregen said to his shoes. “’Sorry, Fi, but you gotta come, even if yeh don’t want to.” I squared my shoulders and inwardly grabbed my mask of composure to slip over my face. I gave a small smile, the usual ones I give, the ones only with my mouth.
“We must be going.” I said between gritted teeth, “Or I shall be late to my own goodbye party.” Bregen seemed glad for the change of subject.
“Yes,” he said eagerly, “Am I supposed to get your wrap or something?” I gave a heartless, chilly laugh to counter of the hot resentment that was boiling inside me.
“Oh, Bregen,” I said mockingly, “Don’t you know? Women haven’t worn wraps for a whole generation now. I mean, really!” Bregen gave a small frown at me. I smiled, crossing the distance between us to pat him on the cheek.
“Now, darling Bregen,” I said cozily imitating my dearest friend Keileia’s delightful intimate language. “ If you’d like you may get my white cloak, it’s on that hook over there, and we can be on our way.” Bregen nodded, stepping a slow step away from me, a look something of comprehension was slowly dawning on his face. I smiled contritely at him. He sent me a feeble smile back and retrieved the cloak.
Finally, as I knew she would, Tamsy came back in carry the large black satin box. I expectantly seated myself once again in front of the mirror. She carefully set down the jewelry box on the dressing table and took from the earrings and the necklace fastening them gently. For a moment, I stared fascinated at the enchanting sparkle of the jewels. These had been my mother’s, when she was a little older than I was, they had been my sixteenth birthday present from Dein. Though, they were a little old-fashioned to my taste, I was still quite fond of their mimicry of a beautiful clear sky. Not realizing, what I was doing I touched my hand to the necklace. Now, I was being forced to go back to a life I didn’t want and being around the family I despised. The years of choosing my own paths in life were over. I was no being dragged to a life of imprisonment.
I could see Bregen waiting patiently behind in his reflection holding the cloak in the completely wrong way. I rose, turning to smile and mockingly chastise my brother for his rudimentary social skills and caused him to blush and stutter more than normal.
The silk, pure white, floor lengthed cloak slipped over my shoulders, even through the satin of my dress I could feel the delightful chilliness of the cloth and gave a wonderful shiver.
Some things I knew belonged in my life, silk, jewels, expensive dresses, and servants were part of them. I thought to myself as we walked through my large town home to the front door. But there were certain things that didn’t belong to me and one of them was my family. And I didn’t belong to them.
On that thought I gracefully entered the coach, with a grim smile spreading slowly across my face, while another thought nipped right at the heels of the other one.
And I couldn’t do anything to avoid them.
I clenched my teeth as I stared out the coach window and wished desperately to myself that somehow, someway I would be kept from completing the trip tomorrow.
If only wishes weren’t granted.




chapter two


The party, I could tell from the moment Keileia and her father greeted me in the front hall, was going to be a marvelous one. My dearest friend, Keileia had gone all out with silk decorations everywhere in the ballroom and delicious food strewn in a pretty fashion across long tables spoke of the riches her father had made when he was an ambassador for Draginia. Keileia had also not shirked on the guest list, everyone was there, from the most fashionable group in Kali to the most disreputable. I couldn’t help feeling as if this was an ominous unconscious warning that all this celebrating of my departure was hinting that I would be forgotten by the Kalian society as soon as I left. I quickly buried that feeling before I could examine it deeper.
There were more important matters to attend to. While on Bregen’s arm, I squared my shoulders, crisply took out my fan, and scanned the room for aqquatinces appropriate for me to speak to. Bregen, however, was shifting nervously from foot to foot.
“For goodness sake, Bregen,” I hissed, “Sit still, people think you don’t want to be here.” I said glancing warily at a group of older women in rich velvets giving us a suspicious look and smiled indulgently at my brother to assure them of my amusement. They in turn returned a smile to me and then continued on their conversation.
“’Sorry, Fi” mumbled Bregen, “I’m no good at this social stuff.” I bristled.
“Well, that is clearly obvious,” I gave a dignified sniff. Bregen miserably continued shifting. I let out a disgusted breath.
“Really, Bregen! You could’ve used to the private before we left. I mean, really! How old are you?” I said under my breath. Bregen looked momentarily confused.
“Private? Oh! You mean the can!” He said understanding dawning on his face. I gasped, my face losing color.
“Bregen!” I hissed, “Do not use such coarse language! You shall embarrass yourself and me!” I told him, hot spots creeping slowly into my face. “Have you considered that you may hurt my reputation by your rough representation of our family?” I asked indignantly. Bregen was looking confused and uncomfortable again.
“But what’s the matter with-“ he stopped, frowned, shook his head and said, “Never mind. Listen is it considered to coarse to use the c- I mean somebody’s private at a party?” I schooled my features to keep from scolding.
“There is a private to the right, the third door on the left.” I said in frigid and carefully quiet voice.
“Right.” And with that he left my company without even excusing myself. I had to control my face from blushing in embarrassment and fury. No man in Kali was supposed to leave a lady’s presence without her permission first. It was considered a common courtesy. Before I could stew on this some more, I was assailed by a series of familiar faces.
A gracefully, slender, young woman with silky autumn colored hair pulled tight into bunches of curls and surrounded with a wreath of dark purple wood violets smiled coolly at me as she glided to my side. She held the arm of a tall, broad-shouldered young man, with short copperish hair and vaguely mysterious clear hazel eyes. The man, Meed Dellins, gave me a slow, meltingly warm smile as he looked calmly into my face.
My heart did a somersault that landed somewhere in my stomach. I had long flirted with Meed Dellins and had always hoped that someday he would show other interest in me besides that of our flirtatious friendship. There was something about his slow and mysterious smile that made the air around us hot and alive. I’ve always wondered if he felt the same way. I had never had the feeling with any of my other flirts. If only he could give a serious indication.
“Alaura, “I said slipping my smiling mask on,
“Fi,” she greeted back with a chilly voice.
“You look simply lovely, tonight.” I said lavishly, ”I adore that fabulous lavender dress you’re wearing. I’ve never seen anything quite like it.” I told her my voice giving no detection of admiration or sarcasm. Alaura eyed me warily.
“This dress?” she said smiling sweetly and raising an eyebrow, “You are too kind, Princess. I’ve had it for years, but tonight Meed and I wanted to compliment each other with our outfits. It’s so cunning, you know.” She put a possessive hand on Meed’s arm smiling at me meaningfully. I returned her smile with a calculated show of teeth of my own.
“Doesn’t he look absolutely ravishing in his attire tonight?” she looked pointingly at Meed. Meed glanced at her, to me it appeared almost reluctantly. The entire time Alaura had been talking he had been looking at me in a particular way that made my skin feel cold and hot all at the same time. The air practically crackled around us. I looked up at him, schooling my face to look respectfully friendly.
“I don’t know if I could quite use the same adjective, but I would definitely say you make quite a cutting figure tonight, Meed.” I said softly, carefully lowering my eyelashes to look at the tips of my delicate slippers peeping out from my narrow-skirted dress. Timing it to the second, I timidly glanced back up at Meed, to catch his mysterious and oh-so-alluring smile.
“I must say you are looking very lovely yourself, dear Princess.” He said in his deep voice . My skin tingled all the way to my toes as little bumps poked in the skin. Had I imagined it or was there just the oh-so-slight inflection on the word ‘dear’?
“You’re too kind,” I murmured lowering my eyelashes again, very conscience of the way my black lashes complimented nicely with my ivory cheeks. Alaura, I knew was looking daggers at the both of us.
“Yes,” said Meed “I am inclined to think all you ladies have come in full figure tonight.” He paused smiling slightly, “Literally speaking as well.” Alaura and I were quick to smile.
I looked up at Meed and said never letting my smile slip, “Yes, I do believe everyone is ready to celebrate my departure.” Alaura gave an exclamation of protest.
“Never, princess!” she said looking convincingly sincere. “Kali isn’t going to be the same without you.”
“Yes,” said Meed looking at me intently, “Everything will seem exceedingly dull. However, I think I shall be seeing you in a week or so.” He told me firmly. I looked up at him quickly.
“Really? Have you business in Colia?” I asked looking at him with an air of slight interest.
“Yes,” he smiled, “I have found that my business takes me frequently to the capital. “ I smiled, this time I didn’t have to pretend.
“Then, it shall make my first weeks easier if you are there.”
“And I shall be taking more pleasure in my business.”
Alaura was looking as if she was ready to throttle me.
“Keileia has done a marvelous job with these decorations.” Said Alaura carefully changing the subject to something of neutrality. You had to hand it to her, she could certainly keep her composure.
“I agree, “ I said smilingly companionably, “Yet Keileia is my best and most wonderful friend, she is so kind and talented I don’t think she could throw a party that is not beautiful.” Meed gave a slight nod of agreement.
“Indeed,” said he, “I don’t believe Keileia could do anything without turning it to gold.” A warm voice came up behind me saying:
“Darlings, do I hear my name being spoken in vain?” I turned to beam at my friend. Beside her, was a new aqquantince of ours a Mister Dreaden Thales. An aloof and auburn-hair man that Keileia had admitted to me that she had a bit of a crush on. He was not handsome in the same way Meed was in my opinion, but he was certainly not hideous, he especially had lovely golden eyes.
But for the moment I just addressed my friend.
“Not in my presence, dearest.” I said to Keileia. We gave each other a quick embrace, as it was our custom, even though we had only seen each other a few moments ago.
“Now,” said Keileia pulling away to look at me at arms length.
“Is my dearest of Fis enjoying herself?” I smiled.
“Tremendously.” I told her.
“And everyone else?” she asked looking at Alaura and Meed. I noticed she had not directed her question to Dreaden. They both nodded.
“Though I wonder,” said Alaura, “Is dancing on the agenda tonight?” My friend smiled.
“Of course, it would not be one of my parties if we weren’t. Though we won’t be starting until after dinner.” Informed Keileia.
“And when will that be Keileia, darling?” Asked Meed. I smiled at him, when one was around my friend you couldn’t help but picking up her endearing names for everyone.
Keileia smiled.
“Not until all the guests get here I’m afraid. But we just finished the last of them, I believe, so it won’t be much longer.” She told us warmly. My friend, when she was warm and sparkling with excitement was easily the most beautiful woman at the party. Her shimmering rust and gold colored hair was pulled on top of her head in elaborate twists and braids with the occasional and tasteful soft baby’s breath accentuated the tall graceful white neck coming forth from her square and bare shoulders, covered only by slender white straps that fell just slightly off her shoulder. The white dress she wore, narrow skirted and embroidered with small gold doves flying in an elegant manner around her neckline, made Keileia look more graceful and appealing than she normally was. For a moment, I felt a large surge of envy, especially since Meed was looking at her in a sort of calculated look. I swallowed hard, keeping my features impassive as Meed complimented her on her dress.
She colored prettily and made an equally pretty comment on his attire. Inwardly, I fumed that backstabbing, no-good tramp! She knows I am secretly in love with Meed, how dare she flirt with him! She was going to have to pay for this, and I knew exactly how I was going to get my revenge.
“So, Mister Thales,” I said smiling up at the tall man in my most charming way, “How are you enjoying Kali? Are the social events up to your standards?” I asked cunningly taking a slight step closer.
“I have to admit that I sometimes find the social events a trifle dull at times.” He said agreeably. I laughed.
“Yes,” I agreed, “There are times they can be just that, but tell me how do you find the Kalian people?” I grinned mischievously up at him.
“Are we, at all interesting?”
“Indeed. But I’m afraid Kalian society will greatly suffer when you leave.” He said amiably.
“Do you think so?” I said demurely, raising my eyebrows. He smiled.
“Most certainly.” He said.
“I must admit that I have a secret fear that I will be forgotten.” I told him reluctantly.
“A natural fear, considering the fickleness and quickly fizzled interest of the Kalian society. However, I think you have good reason not to worry considering there are certain things of your esteemable person that will always be well-loved by Kalians.” Said he smiling down at me amusedly.
“And what is that?” I couldn’t resist asking, “I do not know one quality of myself that may be described as being unlikely to fade or wither. Beauty cannot, of course, be openly claimed on oneself, but I am not modest and will freely admit that I have a not entirely hideous face to look upon though I know it shall surely fade. The wealth I’m entitled to as royalty could easily fly away within a moment’s breath or rather an overthrow of the crown. And the only other good thing of my outstanding person- I told you I was quite an immodest maiden- could be my excellent sense of fashion, which might be something to fit your description of what Kalians call beloved, but I know that fashions do change. So I am afraid you are greatly mistaken in your estimation of my person having something that could last through the ages.” Dreaden smiled.
“All of what you have said is true, except for your last claim, for you have forgotten two things.” He said with an air of holding a wonderful secret.
“And what are those?” I said behaving as if I was greatly intrigued.
“You esteemable title and most important of all the great dexterity of your tongue.”
I gave a delighted laugh even though I didn’t find in the slightest way amusing and Dreaden smiled along with me. My efforts appeared to be working because right then Keileia butted in.
“Now, must know what you two dears are chuckling about!” said she looking at us both in turn. From the look in her gleaming green eyes, she was starting to feel the meaning of my efforts. I couldn’t help but feeling satisfied that she felt the stung I had while she dared to flirt with my beloved. The horrid girl did have to learn her place after all.
Before either one of us could answer I saw a familiar face nervously shift side to side behind Keileia. I schooled my features as I looked at my socially hopeless brother. If I didn’t introduce him to the rest of the group they would assume I was ashamed of him.
“Bregen, darling!” I exclaimed beaming at my brother. The others turned to look at him. He gave a sort of embarrassed grin and nodded to me.
“Hullo, Fi.” He said, then grinning nervously as he in turn looked at Keileia.
“Have you all met my dear brother, Bregen?” I asked the small party. Delicate wags of the head answered and I made the appropriate introductions while the group murmured words of suitable reply. After much squirming, Bregen finally just turned to Keileia and said impatiently:
“Er- could I ask something of yeh, Miss Keileia?” he asked. I could see of Keileia’s rigid posture that she was not at all pleased of his actions. However, she had her duty as a hostess.
“Of course.” She said coldly. Inwardly, I grimaced, I wish Bregen had at least consulted me first. He was certain to do some socially disastrous action.
“Good- well-um- yer see I have friend ‘ere, ‘oo I jus’ happen to meet this afternoon,” Bregen took a step to the right and I saw a black-haired stranger in odd clothing nod once at all of us.
“ Well I invited ‘im to meet me ‘ere an’ I was hopin’, you would be kind enough to let ‘im join us in this ‘ere party considering he bein’ a friend o’ the family an’ all.” Bregen seemed to be pleased after his speech. However, it was apparent from the stiff- backs of the others that quaintness of his speech or the unpolite wording of his sentences didn’t amuse them. I could tell from the tenseness in my shoulders that my back was just as stiff as theirs was.
Keileia was smiling frigidly and curtsying in an almost mocking way.
“You honor me to bring your guest to my home.” She said raising slowly. Bregen looked relieved and his face practically split in two from his grin.
“Great! This is Jarvis,” he gestured excitedly to the man behind him and the man obediently stepped forward.
“Jarvis, this is er- Lady? - stamp it- I can never get all them title thingers correct- this Keileia my sister’s friend and the hostess of this shindig.” The man offered his hand to shake and Keileia tolerantly gave it a limp shake.
“I did not catch all of your name, Mister…” Keileia said politely cool. The man appeared to hesitate then said in an equally cool smooth voice.
“My full name is Jarvis Fadden the son of Tayle of the Granite Plains.” For a full moment after his response everyone remained stock-still and stiffer than ever before, while the realization of his name sunk in. Among our midst, watching us with cool reserve, was the enemy, a real sorcerist.
© Copyright 2003 I LOVE Charlie Brown Head (thegnomes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/698218-Journey-Never-End-Intro--Chapter-Two