*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/701761-Wings-Of-Chaos
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #701761
Mismatched adventurers head off to stop and/or vanquish a great evil...(stock I know...)
{c}Emergency! A Chat With a Goddess
         The door slid open, revealing a tall cloaked figure. The night air rushed around them into the small temple room. It was small, built from wood and the floor covered with yellowed grass mats, in the centre though, stood a fire pit. It was surrounded on three sides by small stone walls. The side closest to the door was left open and an abnormal red mat sat in front of it. On either side of said mat were poles which held up a waxen thread. To the right of the fire pit was a box full of thin, rectangular, strips of paper. To the other side was a tin full of wooden clothespins. There were quite a few on the floor, suggesting that the canister had been spilt earlier.
         The figure breathed deeply, ‘It smells like ashes and incense…’ they thought idly, making their way to the scarlet centre mat. She sat, pulling the hood of the cloak off. They were female, with a pretty heart shaped face, a small slightly upturned nose, and roan red eyes. Her head of long chocolate hair was pulled into a loose braid and three groups of hair obscured some of her face. She wasn’t exactly a person though; she was nekojin. Her pupils were slit, wide open in the dark of the temple. She had lengthened canine teeth, and proudly bore clan symbols upon her cheek. Each was an inverted arch beneath either eye, three spokes stretched from the ends and centre, the middle was encased by a ‘J’ like stroke which was turned towards her nose. The most noticeable thing of her appearance were the two large feline ears which were set where regular human ears would have been, twitching at the slightest sound.
         She stretched a gloved hand to the box of papers, withdrawing five sheets. She turned to the canister and picked up the five clothespins, which had been left previously. She carefully placed the clothespins on the thread and then pinned each of the papers onto place. She then turned her gaze to the blackened floor of the pit. Using her right index finger she drew an intricate symbol in the ash of previous fires. When she was finished she pulled back and began to chant,“Weldferi, hior mu col, E, thu hymli sirvont, otindont af thi flom, sik on oydeinc weth thi.” As she finished, a small gold flame rose from the centre of the pattern. It grew and danced, writhing and casting strange shadows upon the face of the girl who waited patiently for it to finish. As it grew towards the ceiling, a pale face appeared from within the flame. The eyes snapped open and the flame stopped just as suddenly as it had started.
         It grinned and began speaking. A series of notes rang from the being, and as they did, the papers began to fill with writing. The girl tried to keep up with the words as they began to fill, erase and refill each paper in turn. As she read, her eyes widened, and her hand tightened into a fist. The being was now silent as though waiting for a reply. The girl looked up, “I suppose that it is time then?” A silent nod was her answer. She sighed, looking far too world-weary for a girl of her age and said, “I see that I will have my work cut out for me. Where can I find the first?” A series of symbols appeared on the centre paper. “Gaien,” she read quietly, “I’m already on my way.” She extinguished the fire with a wave of her hand. The situation was much to urgent for her to bother with the clean up and so her papers stayed put along with a last unseen message. She slid the door open, grabbing her staff and bag which had been left at the entrance, and stole away into the night.

{c}* * *

         The sun had risen and the High Priest, ears perked happily in the air, made his way from his elegant chambers to the temple. His expression darkened at the open door and he walked cautiously in. His gaze roamed the room searching for a clue. He found what he had been looking for at the fire pit. He strode purposefully towards the papers, still somewhat wet with ink, “Gaien…Good luck Feyru Harelind.” His face twisted with distaste.
         “So, the little girl is still alive…Guards!” He barked. Two male nekojin guards appeared at the door.
         “Sir?” Inquired the first, awaiting orders.
         “The temple was broken into last night. Gather more men and see if you can get on the trail of the culprit before it goes cold!” He ordered. The two nodded in compliance and ran off to ready themselves for the search. The elder sighed exiting the room and locking the door behind him, no one else would enter that day.‘Feyru Harelind, I will find you. You have something I want, and I always get what I want.’

{c}TBC
© Copyright 2003 Catanaition (hanyou_lily at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/701761-Wings-Of-Chaos