*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/717748-Out-of-Order
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #717748
Stand by your man? I don't think so
OUT OF ORDER



“Don’t speak to me that way!” Louise yelled at him, anger boiling inside her.

         “I’ll speak to you any way I want,” Gerald retorted, his voice rising another octave. “I never thought I’d see such a display in a wife.”

         “Wife? I’m not your wife; I’m just your slave. You’ve had this coming for years. I’ve been an idiot to put up with it for so long.”

         “I’ll agree with that,” snarled Gerald. “Only an idiot would have done this.”

         Louise whirled round, eyes blazing. “I am not taking any more. You’ve belittled me for years and I’ve had enough.”

         “Had enough of what? You think I’m going to let you get away with this sort of thing, you stupid woman?”

         “I am not stupid and I won’t have you bringing me down any longer. It’s not as if it’s that important.”

         “NOT important?” Gerald’s voice boomed. “If my mother had done what you’ve done, my father would have smacked her one.”

         “And if your mother had stood up to your father she wouldn’t be six foot under. Well, it’s not going to happen to me.”

         Louise swung the suitcase from the top of the wardrobe.

         “Put that back, you’re not going anywhere. Your place is in the home.”

         “ Not any more, Gerald. Twenty years I’ve suffered this. Twenty bloody years of being ordered about by you, pandering to your every whim. One mistake and I get this. Well, no more!”

         “What do you expect, woman? Here’s me working all hours God sends to keep you and I come home and discover this.”

         “Oh for Heaven’s sake, you big girl’s blouse. All this fuss over a pair of socks straying into your pants drawer. Get a grip, man!” Louise slammed the case shut.

         Gerald stared in disbelief. “You know I have to have order in my life and it’s your job to make sure everything is in its place. God knows what you’ll mess up next.”

         “Not the rest of my life that’s for sure.” Louise picked up the case and bustled to the door. “From now on you can put your own house in order. Goodbye!”

         “Come back, you can’t leave me, I forbid it.”

         “ Just watch me! Oh, and Gerald,” Louise turned to throw the small blue object she was clutching at her husband. “ Here, put a sock in it!”








© Copyright 2003 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/717748-Out-of-Order