*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/717792-Photo-Finish
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #717792
Story written from the memory of a song. Care to guess it?
PHOTO FINISH

“Bye, Jenny, have a great holiday.”
“Fat chance of that.” Jenny boarded the train with a feeling of doom and gloom. The second year students of Sheffield University were all looking forward to the long summer break, but for Jenny, the thought of three months stuck at home with her neurotic mother filled her with dread. Her latest boyfriend had just dumped her; she was going home with a shattered heart, an overdrawn bank account, a mound of neglected studies to catch up on and no money to buy books for her final year. What a prospect!

“Oh, go on with you,” her flatmate chided. “I know you. You’ll come back with some drama or crisis to tell us about. You always do. And I bet you’ll soon find another bloke.”
“No way, never again.”
“Ay, until tomorrow. See you, Jenny and smile for God’s sake.”


“What’s the matter with you?” Jenny’s mother couldn’t help noticing her daughter’s hangdog expression as she dumped her suitcases in the hall.
Although she doubted she would receive any help or sympathy Jenny poured out her troubles to her mum.
“Well, I’ve always told you you’ll get nothing but lies, pain and sorrow from the male of the species and if you’ve got no money you’ll have to get a job my girl.”
“But Mum, what about all my studies? I haven’t time.”
“Then you’ll have to make time. Get it done in the evenings instead of going out gallivanting like you usually do. At least it’ll keep you out of trouble.”


Jenny struck lucky. She managed to find a job almost immediately at the local bookmakers. Short hours, good pay and some of the punters weren’t bad either. One in particular took her attention; tall, fair, with mischievous blue eyes and a little older than the usual students she mixed with. It didn’t take him long to win Jenny over with his natural charm and wit.
“Hi, gorgeous. Do you have any raisins? “he asked, initiating their first chat.
“Raisins? No, why?”
“How about a date then? I’m Mark by the way.” Jenny was delighted by his attention and ready for a relationship with someone who was fun.


Jenny worked the pay out counter at the betting office and longed for the day that Mark would come to the counter to collect some winnings in the hope that something might develop. But lady luck was contradictory.
“Your hot tip didn’t pay off then?” she asked him as she left the office at the end of her shift.
“Nah. Would have been a photo finish but by the time my horse passed the post it was too dark to take the picture.”
“Well, at least you can laugh about it.”
“What’s the point of being miserable? Life’s just one long laugh as far as I’m concerned.”


It was Friday; payday. Jenny intended to buy the books she needed with her first wage packet. The payout was slack; a rank outsider had won the three thirty at Chester. Jenny’s heart skipped a beat when she saw Mark approaching the payout. He pushed a betting slip under the counter.
‘Are you free tonight or will it cost me? I’ll pick you up at seven.’ he had written on it. Jenny beamed. She left the office that night and blew all her wages on a little black number to wear on her date. The books would have to wait.


“You’re not going out in that are you? You’ll catch pneumonia. Anyway, where are you going? I thought you had work to do.”
“I have and I’ll do it but I’ve got a date with a gorgeous bloke tonight I met at the bookies. And, by the way, you can only get pneumonia from germs mother.”
“Huh! Well some scum you’ve picked up at that office must be smothered in them. Just be careful Jenny, you’re so gullible; you’ll get your heart broken again I’m warning you.”


“Mmmm. Nice dress. Can I talk you out of it?” Mark took her hand as they entered the restaurant.
The meal was divine; the wine and conversation flowed and Jenny was enchanted.
“So, how come you spend your days in a betting office? Don’t you work?” she asked.
“Sure I work. Or I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me. I do nights mostly, on and off, but it’s pretty boring. You don’t want to hear about that.”
“Where do you live then?”
“Do you know Jenny; I don’t usually go for blondes. I’ve only ever known one smart one but she’s dead now.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. Were you close?”
“Yep. I loved that Golden Retriever.”
Jenny laughed, distracted by his jokes.


Mark accepted Jenny’s offer of coffee after he’d driven her home. She was confident her mother would change her opinion of him once she’d met him. But her mum didn’t stick around long and she and Mark were given the opportunity to get to know each other better in more ways than one. Jenny was smitten.
“I must be off, love,” Mark suddenly announced. “Just show me where the little boy’s room is before I go.”
Jenny recognised the familiar smell of their soap as Mark left. It was evident he’d had a good wash, no trace of her make up or perfume lingered, so that disproved her mother’s theory. He obviously had high standards in the cleanliness department.


“No, I don’t like him,” her mother informed her the next morning. “Too smarmy by half. What do you know about him anyway?”
“Enough to know I could fall in love with him.”
“Don’t talk to me about love, madam; I’ve been there enough times to know it’s a fool’s game. I’m just glad I’m out of it now. Take my advice, Jenny; don’t chain yourself to any man. It’ll all end in tears.”


The weeks flew by and July melted into August. Bobbie Gentry topped the charts, the sun blazed and Jenny was in love, again. It was Friday; payday. Jenny had been on several more dates with Mark and things were progressing well, though she would never tell her mother just how much progress they had made. She had promised herself she’d buy the books with her wages this week but when her mother announced she was staying at her sister’s tonight, Jenny’s plans had changed. She left the office and spent all her wages on food, wine and new lingerie; she would make tonight extra special. The books would have to wait.


The evening went well; Jenny left her surprise until late.
“Mark, my mum’s away, you can stay the night if you want.”
“Aw, sorry love, no can do, I’m expecting an important phone call early in the morning.”
“Oh, come on, what can be that important? I’m fed up of quickies on the sofa and the back of your car. It would be so much better.”
“Another time maybe. Anyway I snore, fart and keep me teeth in a glass. Wouldn’t want you going off me would I? See you tomorrow.”


“Mark, why wouldn’t you stay with me last night?”
He reached across the restaurant table and held her hands.
“Okay my love, I’ll come clean. You see the truth is I’m having a period and I was just too embarrassed to tell you.”
“Oh you, do you ever take anything seriously?”
“Of course I do. I’m very serious about you Jenny. In fact I want you to have my children. They’re outside in the car.”
Mark ducked as she aimed a swipe at him with the menu but her anger had dissolved as always.


The following Saturday was Mark’s birthday, Jenny determined to make it a weekend he’d never forget. She left the office on the Friday and added to her wages to purchase a weekend break for two in London. The books would have to wait. After a wonderful three course dinner Jenny presented him with her gift.
“Oh Jenny, you shouldn’t have, a Mercedes would have done fine. I wish you’d told me before though. I’m sorry, love, I won’t be able to go.”
“Why not? I know you’re not working, you told me.”
“My parents have arranged a family party for me. It’s traditional I’m afraid.”
“Your parents? I thought you said you hadn’t spoken to your mum in ten years.”
“I haven’t but only because I didn’t want to interrupt her.”
Jenny tried not to smile but failed.
“Then take me with you.”
“No can do. Family only I’m afraid. Anyway, you don’t want to meet them, they’re all awful. Well, not all of them, some are dead. You take your friend from the bookies and have a great time. I’ll see you next week.”


“You look rough this morning miss, what were you up to last night? “
Jenny had no intention of filling her mum in on the details.
“Here, I found this down the back of the sofa; I assume it belongs to lover boy. I hope you’re not up to any monkey business on there while I’m asleep.”
Jenny felt her colour rise but said nothing.
“Looks like some kind of car repair bill. You’d better hand it back next time you see the slimy git. I’ll lay money he’s not paid it and I’m not a betting person; which is more than can be said for him. You want to be careful miss; a man who backs horses and doesn’t pay his bills spells trouble.”
Jenny put the piece of paper into her bag then continued pretending to study hoping her mother would take the hint.


The weekend proved semi enjoyable but Jenny couldn’t wait to get back to Mark. With only two weeks of her holiday remaining she wanted to savour every minute. The wage packet she received that Friday went immediately into her bag; she would definitely buy those books tomorrow. She and Mark went straight from the office for a meal, then on to a nightclub and inevitably the sofa.
“Mark, will you come shopping with me tomorrow? We’ve so little time left and I want to be with you as much as possible. I might even buy you a book; broaden your mind a bit.”
“No point love. I can hardly read. I’m in the DNA you know.”
“DNA?”
“National Dyslexics Association.”
“Oh, very funny; you’re just too corny for words. I’ll buy you a new joke book then. God knows you could use one.”


Mark was late. Jenny decided to go into the shop and purchase the books rather than hang around waiting. She made her selection and took the pile of books to the counter. After searching through her bag several times she realised the wage packet had gone. Embarrassed and tearful she returned the books to the shelves and left the shop. Relief flooded through her when she found Mark waiting for her outside.
“Sorry I’m late, something cropped up. What’s the matter love? You look like you backed a loser.”
“Oh Mark, my wage packet’s disappeared from my bag. Someone must have pinched it in the club last night. There was twenty quid in there; it was meant to pay for my books. What am I going to do now? I daren’t tell my mother.”
“Aw, come on love; it’s not the end of the world. I’d give you me winnings but the horse I backed yesterday was so late coming home it had to tiptoe into the stables. There’s always next week’s money and you make sure you give it to me to look after when we go out.”


“Got your books yet then? You’ll be going back to University next week. And let’s hope you meet up with someone decent there soon. Get your mind off Casanova the creep.”
“Mum, for the last time I love Mark. He’s fun, makes me laugh. I won’t be looking for anyone else and I’ll be home weekends to see him. He’s the man I want to settle down with and you’ll just have to get used to the idea.”
“Oh really? Does he know yet? Mention marriage to that one and he’ll leave skid marks.”


“Mark, will you write to me when I’m back at University?”
It was their last week together and Jenny didn’t want it to end.
“I’m not into letters love, only the French variety.”
“But we can phone each other, yes?”
“We’ll see. I’m not great with phones either. It’s me Chinese blood. I always wing the wong number.”
“Then at least bring me a photo of yourself to take back with me. I need something to prove to my friends you exist.”
“I don’t have many photos. I’m scared of cameras; swallowed one once but thankfully nothing developed.”
Jenny smiled, she couldn’t help herself. “Please.”
“I’ll see what I can find, okay?”


Mark did bring her a photo on that last Friday. Well, half a photo anyway.
“By, that’s a fancy suit, very smart. Where was this taken?”
“I forget now. Just a family wedding I think. No, must have been a funeral, I’m smiling.”
“And who have you cut off then?”
“Oh, just some blonde bimbo. Can’t remember her name now. Bridget somebody or other; Bardot that’s it. Anyway, let’s be off. You got your wages? I’ll keep them safe in my inside pocket; we don’t want a repeat of last week.”
“Yes, and they had a whip round for me with it being my last week. I’ll have some left after I’ve bought the books, maybe I can treat you to something to remind you of me.” Jenny handed over the bulky envelope.


Their last evening together was the best ever. Mark was so attentive, charming and kept her laughing all evening despite her underlying sadness that tonight would be their last liaison with the sofa for a while.
“See you tomorrow then. And don’t be late this week.”
“Okay love, same time same place.”


Mark was late; very late. Jenny paced the pavement outside the bookshop checking her watch far too frequently; a cold, clammy feeling stirring inside her. Something must have happened to him. What if he’d had an accident? She had forgotten to retrieve the wage packet from him last night but that was the least of her worries right now. She had no address or phone number and no way of contacting him. Oh God, what should she do?
Another half an hour passed, Jenny’s panic rising. Then she remembered. Searching frantically through her bag she found the car repair bill her mother had given her. She’d neglected to return it to him and was she glad of that now. Yes, there it was in the top right hand corner.
‘Mr M. Fletcher, 72 Burlington Road, Sherwood.’


Jenny stepped off the bus in Sherwood and asked directions, praying that nothing serious had happened to Mark. Despite her anxious state she couldn’t help noticing the grandeur of the houses around her and wondered if her mother would be more tolerant if she knew Mark lived in such a prestigious area.
She approached the door of number 72 and rang the doorbell. To her surprise a rather rough looking elderly gentleman appeared in the doorway.
“Excuse me, but I’m looking for Mark Fletcher. I thought this was his address.”
“Ay, it is. Top floor, flat six. And while you’re up there tell the lazy sod to get off his backside and find a job; owes me three months rent he does. Don’t know where he got that twenty quid he gave me last week but you can tell him from me it’s not enough.”
Alarm bells clamoured in Jenny’s head as she climbed the stairs and knocked on the door of flat six.
A pretty dark woman in her twenties opened the door. Jenny’s gaze immediately took in the bulging maternity dress and the gold band on the third finger of her left hand. In that moment the pieces of the jigsaw slotted together, the bubble burst and broken hearted Jenny vowed she would never fall in love again.


Surprisingly, her mother did not adopt the ‘I told you so’ attitude that Jenny anticipated. She simply held her daughter as she related her sorry tale, and then quietly poured them both a stiff drink. They talked long into the night as they had never done before about men, relationships, life and love. As the morning light dawned so did the start of a new understanding between mother and daughter. Jenny fell exhausted into bed feeling minimally better than a few hours earlier.


The following morning, red eyed and puffy faced, Jenny paid a visit to her friends at the bookmakers, to say goodbye. One look at her and they knew something was amiss.
“Hey, what’s the matter sweetheart? You going to miss us that much? Anyway, we thought you’d be out celebrating.” The manager smiled.
“Celebrating what?" Confusion now added to her heartache.
“That boyfriend of yours placed an accumulator yesterday before he went off to meet you. They all came romping home. His winnings will clear us out. Don’t tell me he doesn’t know?
"He didn't show up."Through fresh tears Jenny related her sob story again. It seemed so bloody unfair that after all he’d done to her Mark should come up smelling of roses.
“What a louse, to put it mildly,” the manager exclaimed at the end of her tale. “Well, by my reckoning, he won’t be showing his face around here again and if he does I shall tell him to get lost in no uncertain terms. Here love, you go and get your books and anything else you want.” He handed over a thick wad of notes.


Jenny had never seen this amount of money in her life. “But they’re his winnings,” she stammered. “What if he turns up for them?”
“Leave that for me to worry about Jenny. Go on, get back to that University of yours and enjoy yourself. You’re a good lass, you deserve it.”


Jenny was feeling quite a lot better when she stepped off the train at Sheffield and even more so after being reunited with her friends. That first night she treated them all to a slap up meal at a top restaurant.
“Come on then, madam,” her flatmate teased. “Tell us all about your summer break.”
As Jenny related her story for the third time there were no tears; only sympathetic noises from her spellbound friends.
“Oh Jenny that’s awful,” they all agreed. “You’re best rid of him. What you need is a new man in your life.”
“I know,” Jenny smiled as she beckoned over the handsome young waiter to order desserts.
After her friends had ordered a range of exotic dishes to finish off their meals, the waiter turned to Jenny.
“And for you, Madam?”
“Do you have any raisins?”
“No raisins, Madam, why?”
“Well, how about a date then?”
At least one of Mark’s corny jokes had proved useful if nothing else.












© Copyright 2003 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/717792-Photo-Finish