*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/722090-Time
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Philosophy · #722090
A brief contemplation on the mysteries of time
Time. A concept that has fascinated man since the beginning of it. Seems like I can never get enough of time. Those precious few moments when time seems to stand still, floating through the golden afternoon light of suburbia summer.

Sometimes I feel I've reached an altered state of time very precariously at precisely noon when I know your co-workers will soon be packing it up to pound the city sidewalks in search of mid-day nourishment, while I, on the other hand, am lying on the couch, eating cereal straight out of the box, watching reruns of "Three's Company". But once 5:00p hits, the spell is broken and you wonder why you didn't go into work in the first place.

Somtimes, I feel that time is running out. And when I reach that point some huge, tragic, event is going to occur causing young children to cry and elderly men to look away. As a child, you live in a state of timelessness, days and weeks measured only by baths and meals. Then as you begin to grow up you start to notice annual events occurring two to three times a year. Time moves faster and faster, slipping further out of your reach until you realize that the events of the last five years of your life are no more discernible from those of the previous five. Can you recall how you celebrated New Year's Eve more than 3 years running? What does this signify? Does it make life more precious to you? Do you tend to surround yourself only with watch-wearers? Do you think if you pretend to be more aware of the passage of time that it will slow down for you?

When I was a kid living with my family, for lack of something better to do, I laid on my fully-made bed with the lights off, wondering how long I could lie there and do nothing. I lasted about 12 minutes. In my twenties, I could lay in bed for 12 hours before I began to notice. So what would happen when I reached 40? 60? Is there time after 60?

If you could reverse the hands of time, would you do so to right past wrongs? Or would you want to relive watershed moments? Or would you simply want to stop time on a periodic basis?

To me, time is like a river. You get caught up in its swiftly moving current and forget to notice the landscape passing by. Before you know it, you're being swept out to the sea, with only a life preserver. So now maybe you'll pay attention to the scenery. But as always, you can't turn back. The river only flows one way.
© Copyright 2003 wondergirl (wondergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/722090-Time