*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/732112-Tears
by Gwen
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #732112
A phone conversation between mother and daughter.
“Mom, I’m so sorry.” Nina’s voice coming through the earpiece was thick with emotion.

Greta’s heart had sunk. She straightened her back and lifted her chin before she spoke into the receiver. “It’s okay, Baby. I’ll be fine. Rob is here and it’s really no big deal. I’m not worried about this surgery.” She struggled to sound convincing.

“Mom, I wanted to be there. You‘ve always been here for me and now I want to be there for you.” Nina was genuinely upset.

“Hon, it’s really okay. Besides, it would be silly for you to come all this way when I’m only going to be in the hospital overnight. And Rob will take a day or two off if I’m not getting around too well at first. Let’s just save it for the next time. The next surgery is when I’ll probably really need you.” Greta hoped her voice sounded more certain than she felt.

“You’re honestly not scared? I mean, they’re going so close to your brain.” Nina always managed to ask THE question.

“Oh no! They’re not allowed to touch my brain. I already told them that.” Greta laughed, then cringed at the hollow sound.

Nina replied with a hesitant half laugh. “I can’t believe you’re so positive about this. I’m so afraid of losing you.”

“Hey! I’m not going anywhere! Don’t think like that.“ Tears filled Greta’s eyes almost to overflowing. “I’ll call you right after I get out of surgery, okay?”

“Make sure you do, or that Rob does. I’ll be worried till I hear from you.”

“I will, Honey. I love you.”

“I love you too, Mom.”

Greta hung up the phone just before the tears fell.

Rob hugged her, hard.

© Copyright 2003 Gwen (gzocco at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/732112-Tears