*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/735085-The-Reaching-Tree
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #735085
Fantasy about a river sprite who is enamoured of a tree.
Down by the lake, there is a gnarled old tree. When I was a small child we would often picnic under the shade of that tree, and my mother would make up stories to entertain my brother and me.

There were lots of stories, of places far away, and people long gone into memory, but the one story that sticks in my mind to this very day, and which will stay with me as long as I live, was the explanation my mother gave for why the tree leans into the wind which blows across the lake.

The story begins with a seed. The seed contained the germ of life, and as it fell from the parent tree, it landed in the river, and was carried down the river to the shores of the lake, where it came to rest in the sunshine. Something magical happened to it, it began to grow, and as it grew it formed a strong and healthy young tree.

A river sprite had watched the seed's journey and its development into a tree, and pleased with the attractive form which the tree was achieving, he spent many nights lying in the shallows staring at the beautiful tree. The sprite had a beautiful singing voice, and would sing a haunting love song to the tree which he called Willow.

Eventually, tortured by his unrequited passion for the tree, he asked a favour of the river gods. He presented himself before them, and sang of his love, and his helplessness in the face of such an all consuming attraction to the Willow.

River Gods as a rule are selfish and self important, always rushing about their own business, but struck by the intensity and beauty of the sprite's song, they granted his wish, that the tree be able to return his love. However, they gave strict instruction that the sprite and the tree might never touch, only gaze at each other with eyes filled with love, lest the spell the Gods wove be broken.

What rapture the sprite found when he returned to the bank to find a beautiful female companion! She greeted him with a voice that brought tears to his eyes, and caused his heart almost to stop with happiness. They looked, but did not touch, careful of the command of the River Gods.

For many months, right through spring and into summer, they were constant companions, never leaving each other, and sleeping close by each other. Never did they touch, even as the desire to do so grew between them like a shadow forming in their hearts. They sang together in the moonlight, and as summer drew to its height, their melodies became ever more achingly beautiful and haunting.

On Midsummer's night, unable to bear the torture of being apart any longer, they kissed. Though the River Gods knew at once what had been done, they were merciful, and allowed the lovers that one night together.

As the sun rose the next morning, the sprite stirred and looked at his beautiful Willow cradled sleeping in his arms, and watched as the first rays of light fell upon her peaceful face. He held her close as she transformed into a tree once more, and then as the sun rose to above the horizon, he turned and left his beloved companion to return to the river which was his home.

As he entered the water, Willow reached out to him, and to this day, if you visit the lake, you will see that she never has stopped reaching out to him. If one day, you go to the lake, and see that the tree is gone, you will know that River Gods granted the tree's wish, that she might enter the water once more, and be joined with the sprite forever.
© Copyright 2003 fangfluffy (fangfluffy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/735085-The-Reaching-Tree