*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/735614-Something-Better
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #735614
An assignment for HS English about a memory except it is the way I wanted it to turn out!!
         The crystal blue waves came crashing onto the long tan shore as the early day sun began to move above the horizon into the sky. The bright sunlight gently shone through a small window into Marrisa’s half- closed brown eyes.

         Her radio turned on as she slowly fumbled out of bed making her way across her gigantic bedroom and went into her bathroom where she began her daily morning ritual. She brushed her already sparkling white teeth and then hopped into a relaxing shower where she shampooed and conditioned her long wavy black hair. After her shower she washed her face, then blow- dried and styled her hair, making her look like a high- profile super model.

         She went through her walk- in closet, which was like a department store itself, and pulled out her perfect outfit for the day, a pink halter and a pair of dark blue jeans matched with her favorite jewelry and sandals. Today was Friday, so she would spend the afternoon shopping and partying the night away after college classes. Tomorrow would most likely be practicing cello solos for her symphony concerts on Saturday nights. Afterward, she and her best friend, Phillip, would go for a nice cup of coffee and rent a movie to watch together.

         Marrisa was extremely talented with music because she started at an early age, but what made her more talented was her passion and hard work that she put forth to get where she was. Her first class was Music Theory and Composition Three, and soon after was Advanced String Technique.

         Marrisa drove in her black Jetta to the campus to get to her classes. She parked and grabbed her satchel out of the trunk. She was fifteen minutes early just like usual because she loved being early. She walked down the long halls and finally arrived at her classroom door.

         “Surprise!!” yelled her friends, “Happy Birthday and Happy Valentine’s Day Marrisa!!”

         Phillip hugged her and said, “How come I’m the only one that knew it was your birthday? Why didn’t you tell anyone else?”

         “I didn’t know everyone wanted to know,” replied Marrisa as she thanked everyone and took her seat without saying another word.

         “Are you going to Jenna’s party tonight?” asked Rachel, Marrisa’s other friend.

         “Probably not. I think that I might just stay home.”

         “Marrisa, can I speak to you?” asked Phillip.

         “Sure,” said Marrisa as she went with Phillip out into the hallway.

         “What’s up with you? I’m getting worried about you because you aren’t acting yourself lately. You have been ditching your friends and not saying anything in class and your just acting, well, weird.” said Phillip.

         “Everything has been on the downside lately, it’s my twentieth birthday and Valentine’s day, you know. I haven’t really met anyone yet or been in a relationship yet at all. Something huge is missing out of my life. I want something better then what I have.”

         “Everyone goes through that. Your beautiful Marrisa, tons of guys here want to go out with you.”

         “Not any of them decent enough. Most just have no respect for women. You really just don’t understand. Tonight though, I think I am going to try something new. I’m going to a bookstore to read and sip on some coffee. Maybe I’ll meet someone there.”

         “Do you want me to tag along? I’m sure I can keep you company and you can meet a new friend of mine, Karen.” said Phillip with excitement.

         “No thanks, I kind of have to do this on my own, you know?”

         “Well, don’t get your hopes up, I don’t want you to get heartbroken.”

         Marrisa and Phillip went back to their classes and after they finished up they headed for the shopping mall. They ate lunch and Marrisa tried on different outfits for her evening dragging along Phillip who hated shopping with a passion.

         Marrisa went back to her beautiful beach condominium after the mall around sunset, only to come home to messages from friends wishing her a great birthday and inviting her to parties. Marrisa put on her new outfit and made herself look charming. The pink blouse and skirt she had on was the latest style from Express and made her
feel great and hopeful that she would meet someone.

         Marrisa drove to the local bookstore and browsed through the thousands and thousands of shelves for the perfect romance novel before sitting down in a cozy corner of the cafe. She had been sitting there for at least an hour pretending to read and smelling the wonderful coffee and pastries they had for sale. Men came in, couples went out, but Marrisa was still by herself, she had begun to loose hope.

         “May I buy you an Italian Creme Soda? I hear they are to die for, but I’ve never had one,” said a man that Marrisa had seen sitting in the cafe almost as long as she had been, who was now standing in front of her. He was tall and built with a skin color almost the same shade of tan as hers. Behind his glasses, he had heavenly
brown eyes, which showed a sense of mystery. Marrisa stared in a daze as his voice spoke, “My name is Daniel, what’s yours?”

         Marrisa snapped out of her daze and replied, “Marrisa, It’s nice to meet you and Italian Creme Soda sounds nice, thanks for offering.”

         Marrisa went back into a daze as Daniel smiled and said, “Sure, what flavor?”

         “Caramel sounds good for me.”

         “Two Italian Creme Sodas please. Caramel for the lovely Marrisa and Strawberry for me please.” said Daniel to the cashier before he carried their drinks back to the table.

         Daniel and Marrisa shared drinks for an hour and were engaged into a deep conversation, only to be broken at closing time. Daniel invited Marrisa to go dancing at a club, and she replied, “Yes!” When they arrived the club was packed but Daniel managed to find a spot in the middle of the dance floor. He grabbed Marrisa’s hand and pulled her towards him. They began dancing until midnight when they both sat down and took a break. Marrisa then took him back to her beach condominium to show Daniel her cello and play for him. After she played they decided to call it a night, since it was quite late.

         “Thanks for helping me enjoy Italian Creme Sodas, dancing, and the cello all in one night. It was the best fun I have had in a long time. Happy Valentine’s Day” said Daniel.

         “No thank you for showing me a great time and helping me enjoy my birthday and Valentine’s Day,” said Marrisa.

         “I didn’t know it was your birthday, thanks for telling me now! I’m just kidding, I do have a present to give you,” said Daniel as he reached towards Marrisa and kissed her. Marrisa had never felt happier in her lifetime. She held onto Daniel’s body and rested her head on his broad shoulders. He held her tightly, feeling the same sense of completion inside. He gently kissed her once again and then drove off in his black Focus.

         Marrisa watched Daniel drive off in his car and went back inside her condominium. She tried to sleep but all she could do was stay up and write poems. Finally she dozed off and dreamed of the next time she would see Daniel again. Her life finally felt complete and she had found something better.
© Copyright 2003 DancingIrishDivaIcePrincess (concertmster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/735614-Something-Better