*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/759082-The-Graveyard-Shift
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #759082
Created for Marci's Monthly Mayhem Madness (October) contest.
"How was your first day?" Mom asked.

"Well," I replied as I drew a fresh cup of coffee from the pot, "The boss left at 10, and I was alone until 6. In that time, we had two alarms go off at once. Upon checking it out, I noticed that one of the monkeys in lab 3 was loose. This monkey, genetically enhanced by experimentation, went on a rampage with his super strength and intelligence. He burned down half of the facility, and threw most of downtown into a panic-stricken warzone. The second alarm was for a leak in the biological weapons lab. A load of unidentified toxic chemical had poured from its container, and was causing everything it touched to mutate. I poured water on it, and even tried burning it, but nothing worked. I got a little of it on me, but I don't think it was enough to do any damage. It was quite the night."

"Well, dear, tomorrow is another day."

"Yeah, I'm exhausted." I walked over, and hugged her with all six of my tentacles, and made my way to my room, where I slept soundly after my first midnight shift.
© Copyright 2003 GMartin (gmar74 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/759082-The-Graveyard-Shift