*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/771407-Goblin-Dance
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #771407
Halloween story
         "Trick or treat,
                   Smell my feet
                             Give me something good to eat"

         Chanted the goblins under the full moon as they clambered up the steps to knock on a door one Halloween night.
         Tap, tap, tap on the door they went. The door creaked it's reply.
         "Push it open." One goblin whispered from the back of the group.
         "You do it!" The rest of the group shouted as they shoved him forward towards the door. Eye's closed he lifted his hand towards the door, but to his dismay, it swung open on it's own.
         Through the door they saw an inviting orange light enticing them in.Rushing in they pushed past their stunned friend to get at the light.
         Once inside they found a banquet hall decorated with hundreds of pumpkins, each one carved into a sinister Jack-O-Lantern pulsating a strange black glow that followed them around the room. Turning towards the door only to see it slam shut behind their friend as he walked in.
         Eerie noises began to emanate from the floor, the ceiling, upstairs, it came from everywhere,it even started to issue forth from their own bodies, moving them through the room in a twisted Hell dance towards the basement door.
         Through the door and down the stairs they moved, travelling in time to a silent song.
         A pointed hat and mask lay strewn on the stairs, torn to shreds and singed by burning sulphur. The supurous stench rose up from the tattered costume to the noses of the goblin line, seering the protective hairs in their nostrils.
         Down into the bowels of the Earth the dancing goblins travelled unable to control their movements, wanting to stop and return to the safety of their hovels, back to their families and away from this haunted house. But deeper still they went, trying to recover control of their possessed bodies. Hoping that maybe somehow they could regain control, but their attempts all fail as they continued down an endless staircase.
         A finger, did he move it, or was it his imagination. He tried again. Nothing. Maybe he did imagine it the first time. Or maybe they let him move it, to confuse him. Paranoia struck through him, unsure if he did it himself, or if they allowed him to. Maybe it never even happened, he no longer knew. There was no fighting it. They were not going to let him go.
         The stairwell came to an end, but there was no floor, nothing to stand on. But the goblins danced on. Falling through a vast chasm, to which time and space no longer existed, still dancing a twisted possessed line of infinite grief.
         Across an unseen floor they moved, toward an eerie blue glow. Into a firey cavern they went, dancing to the front of a demon court.
         Bats clung to the roof of the giant cavern. One clung to the edge of a protruding coffin. No there was more than that, coffins were exposed right across the cavern ceiling.They were beneath an old cemetery, stuck between the dead and the undead.
         At the head of the court lay the most horrific sight they had ever seen. It was the fattest, ugliest demon of them all. The flesh across his body was being eaten away by a pack of ferocious maggots. Itself was eating the remains of what could only be descibed as a half wolf, half salamander creature. At the beast's side lay an enormous black cat devouring the beast's leftovers with a fervent ferocity that scared the goblins down to the soles of their feet.
         Ghosts swam through the stale air partaking in an unholy tortured dance of their own. They played tricks on those who did not want to play their twisted game of cat and mouse.
          A vampire was seen feeding on the remains that he found in a number of the fresher coffins that had been dug out from the roof. Seasoning them with a foul smelling witch's brew
         Their bodies moved toward a table covered in what appearred to be a selection of Halloween treats, but they knew that it would be their end if they were to partake of these putrid sweets. However their bodies had other plans as they shovelled them into their unwilling mouths.
         They could hear the demonic chants fill the cavern as the poisonous food began to take effect on the bodies that they had just regained control of. Trying to purge their bodies of the toxins. But it was too late, as the last of them fell into a nightmarish comatose world.
© Copyright 2003 Hephaestus (hephaestus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/771407-Goblin-Dance