*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/776501-Angelic-Voices
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #776501
Nuns get into trouble and Mother Hildegard is there to try to help them out.
Angelic Voices

By: Tracey Criswell Wilson



         The nuns were all excited! How long has it been since they had the youth off the street and inside, making them into a beautiful chorus? It wouldn't be long, and they would show them off in church. They were hoping that Mother Hildegard, for once would break the rules and allow them to work more one-on-one with the youths in the neighborhood.

         "Sister Clarah, I can't make it to practice today," said one of the lead singers, Carlos.

         "Why can't you make it?" asked Sister Clarah. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

         "Nah man, there's nothing no one can do."

         Sister Clarah talked with Sister Isabelle and told her how Carlos had called and what he had said. They were worried and decided they should go check in on him, as he was always at practice.

         Walking through the front door of a run-down building with broken windows and graffiti all over the walls, they went up dark, steep stairs that creaked under their weight. Holding onto the wobbly handrail, they made their way to Carlos' apartment on the third floor.

         As they passed the doors in the hallway, they glanced at the addresses, passing the doors starting at 3-A, they arrived at their destination of 3-E. Carlos' door was cracked open and they could hear a lot of voices
inside.

         They knocked on the door, and a tear-streaked Carlos opened it, "Hey sistahs, what brings ya'll down to the home front?"

         " Carlos," said Sister Clarah, "we would like to help. What's going on?"

         Carlos looked agitated and said, "It happened from the gang I used to be in. They didn't like it 'cause I split. They meant to give me a warning with a drive-by shooting ... when they shot at our car with all of us in it, they killed my little brother."

         Sister Clarah and Isabelle started to cry, and Sister Isabelle said, "I'm so sorry Carlos, we had no idea. What can we do for you and your family?"

         " Na, nothing Sis, we're cool."

         Sister Isabelle asked, "Did they catch those who did it?"

         "Yea, they got 'em, we knew who it was. I have to go back now. Thanks for dropping by."

         When Sister Clarah and Isabelle got back to the sanctuary they told Mother Hildegard everything that happened. They all knew the rules prohibited them from getting involved with street gangs since it was so dangerous.

         But, as they sat and talked even Mother Hildegard agreed something had to be done.

         They already had the chorus for all those that were interested in singing, but they needed something more. After much thought, they decided they would open up a game room, which would be
a place for the youth to come to and get off of the streets.

         After much work, the game room was finally completed. They had pinball, racing games, X-box, various board games, a TV area, a basketball and tennis court outside, a counselor, and even someone to help with their homework.

         The gameroom took off really fast and the sisters were pleased with how it was going.

         A couple of weeks after opening, a rock came flying violently through a window breaking it. "Shut down the game room or answer to us!" said a note tied to the rock.

         This frightened a lot of people and many of them left. They didn't want any problems with the gangs.

         The Sisters kept it open and with the help of Mother Hildegard, they went to the streets to visit the gangs.

         "Get out of here sistahs. This ain't no place for ya'll."

         Sister Isabelle just answered with a quick reply, "The game room is opened for all of you, and the chorus for all who want to sing. There's no need for violence; we want you all."

         A knife came out of nowhere and glinted in the sun. "I told ya'll to beat it; nothing's here for ya's. Now leave sistahs, before you wish you had time to leave."

         Sister Clarah looked at the boy with the knife and said, "We have only come here to help, no need in violence, we want you ...."

         Before anyone knew what happened, the knife found Sister Clarah. She collapsed on the trash-filled ground. All the kids took off in every direction ... except for two, that is.

         All you could hear was, "Why did ya do that?"

         "It was a mistake; she wouldn't shut up!"

         The two kids that stayed called an ambulance and remained with her.

         "We're sorry sister, we never meant for this to happen."

         Sister Clarah was rushed to the emergency room. Mother Hildegard got the message and was frantic when they arrived. "Is she going to be all right, Doctor?

         "We'll check her out and let you know as soon as we know something." They hurried off, rolling Sister Clarah away.

         One week later, Sister Clarah was back at the sanctuary. It turned out to be a small cut and she was going to be fine.

         Mother Hildegard was beside herself for breaking the rules and allowing them to get mixed up in the street gangs.

         The plan was to close down the game room and the chorus. They sent up many prayers to God to give them an idea of what to do.

         The most beautiful music came from outside Sister Clarah's room. The nuns all ran to look out the window and there, as if in a dream, stood many kids from different gangs singing in the sweetest voices you ever heard.

         They came with flowers and cards to ask for forgiveness.

         It's been three months and I won't lie and say there are no more gangs, but I can tell you they lay down their colors as they come into the sanctuary to sing and play games, and some have gotten out of the gangs while others are still in them. They lay down their differences at the door.

         And from the road, the voices singing in harmony in the sanctuary sounded like angels.

© Copyright 2003 intuey of House Lannister (intuey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/776501-Angelic-Voices