*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/779699-The-Tree-on-the-Dike---chapter-13
Rated: ASR · Novella · Young Adult · #779699
The group investigates the power plant.


Chapter 13

         Susan couldn't believe it. How could Brad bring her of all people? As she grew closer, she could hear the young couple whispering to each other, but she couldn't make out what they were saying. After taking a deep breath, she cleared her throat as loud as she could. "Brad, could I have a word with you?"

         Brad pulled away from Fiona and looked at his sister. "I know what you're going to say, but Fiona really wanted to help. She knows what it's like to lose a parent, and is willing to do what she can to help. Besides, she knows a little about breaking and entering."

         "Don't look at me like that," Fiona said to Susan. "I picked up a few things from my older brother. I've never actually done it."

         "Hold on a second." Susan moved closer to get a better look at Fiona. "When did you lose a parent?"

         "I lost my mother when I was eight. Didn't you know that?" Fiona looked up at the stars in the sky. "Maybe I never told you. We weren't exactly friends after all."

         "That's an understatement." Susan shifted her weight from one foot to the other and back again. "Well, you're here now. I guess you can help."

         "Gee, thanks." Fiona turned her head to look behind Susan. "What's your mousey friend doing here? She doesn't look like she's going to be much help."

         Susan turned, and saw Jill sitting on a tree stump with her arms wrapped around her body and her head on her chest. The glow from the power plant's security lights caused the reflective material in her jacket to shine an eerie blue color. She looked more like a space pod than Susan's best friend. "Get up, Jill. You're supposed to be the look out."

         Jill lifted her head and looked at the three teenagers. "I'm awake. I was just resting until you were ready to go."

         "Are you sure you want her as a lookout?" Fiona glanced from Brad to Susan and waited for a reply.

         "Jill will make a great lookout. Right Jill?" Susan said the words a little too loudly, as if she was trying to convince herself as much as Fiona.

         "I guess." Jill was standing with one foot on top of the other, and avoiding eye contact.

         Brad looked at Jill, and then turned toward Fiona. "I think she'll be all right. Besides, who else wants to be the lookout?"

         "Well, I'm not staying behind." Susan started to walk toward the power plant, and dared anyone to stop her.

         "Fine. Let's go." Fiona followed Susan, with Brad walking beside her.

         Once they reached the fence around the perimeter of the compound, Susan reached out to climb it, as she had done a few days ago. Suddenly, flashes of electricity bounced between her hand and the fence, causing her to pull her hand away.

         "Darn. It looks like they electrified the fence." Brad put a hand on his sister's shoulder. "Are you all right?"

         "I'm fine." Susan looked at her hand, unsure if the sparks had come out of the fence or her fingers.

         "I have some wire cutters." Fiona pulled off her backpack and search through the contents. "Here they are!" She pulled out a set of rubber handled cutters that were heavy enough to cut through a bicycle chain.

         "Why do you have those?" Susan moved away from Fiona and the fence.

         "They come in handy sometimes." Fiona moved to the fence and started cutting the chain links. "This shouldn't take to long."

         Once the wire had been cut apart, Brad used his jacket to move the fence aside and let the two girls go ahead of him. Being careful not to touch the wire himself, he moved through the hole and into the parking lot beyond.

         The same car and truck were parked by the entrance that Susan had seen when she had come here with Macidec. Keeping low to the ground, the three intruders moved behind the truck, and looked at the front entrance.

         "I don't see any guards." Brad turned to his sister. "Were there any guards when you were here before?"

         "Yes, there is a guard post just inside to the right." Susan tried to remember if someone had been sitting behind the desk. "I know there was a guard in the hallway."

         "Are there any video cameras?" Fiona asked.

         "I'm not sure." Susan stared at the building, as if hoping she could see through the walls. "I don't think so."

         "That's not much help." Fiona turned to face Susan. "You were inside this place, right?"

         "Yes . . . I think . . . yes I was definitely here before." Susan stood up. "I'm sure there are no cameras on the first level. We'll just have to distract the guard somehow."

         "Get down before you're seen." Brad reached up and pulled his sister into a sitting position. "I'll go in first. If I see the guard, I might be able to surprise his and knock him out. I do have a brown belt in Karate after all."

         "What happens if they have black belts?" Susan said with some irritation. She rubbed her shoulder where Brad had grabbed it.

         "These are just police wannabes. They're not going to have much training." Brad got to his feet and moved toward the entrance.

         Susan tried to follow, but Fiona held her back. "Let him go alone. He knows what he's doing."

         Susan highly doubted that. She sat back and stared at Fiona. She must really care for my brother to have such confidence in him.

         "What?" Fiona looked at her with a puzzled expression. "You don't think he can do it?"

         "I never said that." Susan looked back at the entrance and saw Brad moving slowly up to the doors.

         Brad tried to pull one of the doors open, but it wouldn't move. He tried the other door, no luck. He made his way back to where the girls were sitting. "It's no good. The doors are locked."

         "A good thing I brought a lock pick kit." Fiona searched her pack again and pulled out a small bundle, which contained several wires and steal rods.

         "Where did you . . . ? Never mind." Susan began to realize Fiona was more prepared for this adventure then she was. "Go ahead and open the doors."

         "I'll try. I haven't had much experience at using these." Fiona made her way to the entrance and began fiddling with the locks.

         "Brad." Susan pulled her brother's attention away from the doors. "I don't want you fighting any of the guards. We're supposed to sneak in and sneak out without being seen. Got it."

         "Yes, mother." Brad looked up and then back at Susan. "How do you plan to sneak past the guards?"

         "I'll think of something." Susan watched Fiona work for a while, before turning back to her brother. "Promise you won't try to fight them."

         "Fine. I promise." Brad moved to get a better view of the entrance.

         The siblings sat in silence as they waited for Fiona to finish. Suddenly, she pulled her tools out of the lock and plastered herself against the side of the building. Brad started to move, but Susan put her hand on his shoulder to stop him. A second later, a guard appeared in the plate glass window on the left side of the door, and began looking around. A short time later, he disappeared. Before anyone could breathe a sigh of relief, the door opened and the guard walked through.

         Susan couldn't see Fiona anymore, but the girl was on the other side or the doorway and much closer to the guard then to them. She saw Brad bouncing up and down on his heels, eager to do something. She kept her hand on his back and whispered, "Hold still. He may not see her."

         The guard stood in front of the doors and looked around the parking lot. "Is someone out here?" He waited a second and then pulled something out from under his jacket. Suddenly, the whole side of the building was bathed in the light of his flashlight. Fiona stared back at him, from where she was hiding, caught like a deer in headlights.

Continued in "The Tree on the Dike - chapter 14
© Copyright 2003 Ðungeon Щarden (gward at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/779699-The-Tree-on-the-Dike---chapter-13