*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786430-Dramatics
by Paige
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Teen · #786430
Thrilling opening scene! Wealth, deceit, lies, and teen love.
Damn.

Drama’s eyes shot open and she quickly pulled in a desperate rattling breath. She rolled over and poured half a bottle of water down her throat. “Nyla, Nyla!” She yelled out as tears began stinging her eyes. A tall woman came bursting into the room wearing a black pant suit carrying a gun a clipboard, “What happened, Drama? You’re hours early.” Drama opened her mouth to speak but all that came out were small hoarse sounds.

You can do this, you have to do this!

“Nyla they,” she managed to croak before breaking into another coughing fit. Nyla pushed the clip board into Drama’s hands and she immediately began to scribble: trap they’re coming now hurry

Nyla’s face remained calm as she pulled out a satellite phone and dialed a number, within a few seconds she was connected and quickly relayed a message to the person on the other end, “Emergency Delta, danger level red, activate escape protocol five for D and N.” She threw the phone over her shoulder and reached for Drama as a gunshot echoed from the first level of the apartment.

“If we make it to the roof before they make it to us we’ll be fine,” Nyla said as she pulled Drama off the bed, “Can you run?” Drama nodded, no matter how much her leg hurt, she had to ignore it or the Project was ruined. They took off running, out of the room, down the hall, and through a hidden door that opened to reveal a steep stair case. Drama took one step and fell over, there were bangings on the wall behind them. Nyla pulled her up and put an arm around her waste helping her up the stairs quickly. They were five steps away from the roof when the door below them opened and black figures began racing up towards them.

Mind over matter, concentrate.

Drama took a deep breath and quickened her pace, Nyla went through the door first and Drama was almost through when a black hand grabbed her injured leg. A shrill scream escaped her lips and her hands flew towards the attacker. He flew back down the stair well and Drama moved onto the roof. “I didn’t know you could do that,” Nyla said as she entered the code that closed and sealed the door behind them. “Neither did I,” Drama whispered as a helicopter touched down in front of them.

Five men rushed out of the helicopter in gray uniforms, they helped Drama and Nyla across the roof and into the waiting air craft. “What now,” she croaked. Nyla took a deep breath and began typing at a lap top that had been waiting for her on the helicopter, “We start over, somewhere new. Smarter and more prepared.” The helicopter took off and people began examining Drama for injuries, but she didn’t notice. Nyla began talking in her crazy code, but Drama didn’t notice. All she could sense was the city flying past her eyes outside the window, New York City, her city, the city she knew she would never be allowed to see again.


Three months later: West Field, North Carolina. Population: 7,323

Bzzzzzzzzz

Drama rolled over and tapped her alarm clock turning it off. One of Nyla’s nameless assistants came into the room and laid out an outfit. “You have precisely 37 minutes until you depart,” the woman said expressionlessly before leaving the room.

School….right.

There was a flutter in Drama’s stomach. Nervousness was just about the only aspect that hadn’t been addressed in preparation for her first day at West Field Community High School. It was the kind of thing that happened in a sixteen year old mind like Drama’s, not the disciplined mind of Nyla’s.

Shaking it off Drama climbed out of bed and headed into her bathroom to get ready for school. She washed her face and brushed her teeth before putting her dark brown hair into a messy bun at the top of her head. She put on her required makeup (mascara, eyeliner, blush and lip balm) and headed into her room to put on the outfit that had been laid out for her. A gray skirt that came two inches above her knee, a black lace tank top, a chic jean blazer, a black pair of 2 inch heels and gold jewelry set. All top of the line, all designer, all extremely expensive looking.

She pressed an intercom button by the door and spoke clearly into it, “Dressed and awaiting inspection.” After a few moments Nyla came into the room and looked Drama carefully up and down. She fixed the collar of the blazer and smiled. “Perfect,” she said before checking her watch, “you have precisely twenty minutes until you depart, there is breakfast in the kitchen.”

I have precisely 100% chance of hitting the next person that says precisely to me.

Drama followed Nyla out of the room and to the kitchen, where a plate of orange slices, scrambled eggs and a side of toast with peanut butter was waiting. Drama sat down and ate her breakfast as Nyla reminded her of her mission for the day. “Remember, you are to keep up the strong appearance that you have money, and a lot of it. You moved here from Chicago after your parents divorced and if anyone mentions it act upset. Be friendly, I want you to make friendly acquaintances, the faculty should think your fitting in. No strong-” “Bonds,” Drama finished for her, “We’ve been going over this for the last month and I know what to do. I know all of your rules.” “Fine,” Nyla said smiling.

Rule #35: Always look intimidating. That way people will assume you’re the one in control and controlling those around you is imperative.

And Nyla and her staff had decided the best way to look intimidating in high school was to look rich, filthy rich. That’s why they were living wearing expensive clothes, driving expensive cars, building a new auditorium for the school, planning an extravagant New Year’s party to show off, and living in a huge mansion complete with a tennis court, swimming pool, and a sauna. Plus a multimillion dollar fully staffed security system, for that Nyla touch. Although after the last attack it seemed all too necessary, it was the only way they could feel safe. Not even a sugar ant could come within a mile of the house without being detected.

“Precisely three minutes until you must depart,” boomed from a speaker somewhere overhead.

Can’t exactly hit a speaker, can I?

Drama pushed her chair away from the table and her and Nyla walked out of the kitchen to the car parked outside. A white convertible, an expensive looking white convertible, with the keys in the ignition, a purse under the driver’s seat for Nyla and a packed messenger bag on the passenger floor for Drama. They climbed into their seats and Nyla started the ignition, “Ready?” Drama forced a smile and nodded fighting to tame the butterflies in her stomach.

If you can’t fool yourself into not being nervous how are you going to fool an entire school full of people?


“Sorry I’m late Principal Marvis, my little sister hid my car keys.”

Shane said walking quickly into the office smiling softly to himself that for once his excuse was true. Of course, that wouldn’t have any effect on Mr. Marvis’s anger. He had told Shane three times not to be late, the new girl was greatly important to the school.

“It’s fine, Shane,” Principal Marvis said trying to sound calm as he faced burned red with anger from behind his desk, “just straighten out your shirt so I can call them in.” Shane reached down and pulled on the hem of his shirt a little as the principal asked his secretary to bring in the Sullivan’s.

Oh shit.

Shane looked up just in time to see the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on enter the office. Her eyes were slightly wide set and intensely brown, her cheek bones were prominent yet had a perfectly smooth curve and her lips were naturally cranberry, taught yet plump. She wasn’t beautiful, she was gorgeous.

Oh shit.

He came back down to reality long enough to realize the girl, her mother, and the principal were looking at him expectantly. “I said you’d be happy to show Ms. Sullivan around, wouldn’t you Shane,” the principal asked with a slight strain in his voice. Shane swallowed hard and tried to hide the huge grin that was fighting to spread across his face as he said, “Oh, very happy.”

The principal cleared his throat and shot Shane a warning glance, then he handed a piece of paper to the girl, “This will be your schedule, it’s identical to Shane’s so just stick with him and he’ll help you find your way around.” “Thank you,” she said glancing it over then -

Wait, did she just check me out?

“And she’s allowed to eat lunch off campus?” her mother asked. Principal Marvis nodded. “Yes. Now, the first bell is going to ring soon, you two kids better get going,” he said rising as the rest of the room stood after him, “it was a pleasure meeting both of you, my office is always open.” Principal Marvis and Mrs. Sullivan shook hands as Shane led the girl out of the office.

“So, what’s your name? Unless you like being called Ms. Sullivan,” Shane asked flashing his best boyish smile. The girl glanced quickly down at her feet then back up at Shane, “Drama.” “Well, Drama, what are you doing in this sleepy town?” he asked. “My parents just divorced,” she replied quickly, almost mechanically, like it was a reflex or something, “So where are you leading me?”

Alright, she doesn’t want to talk about the divorce….

He stopped walking and pointed up to a number on the wall, “American Government, room 403, Mrs. Gable. Lethally boring.” As soon as the word lethally passed his lips a look of terror crossed her face for just a second, and she quickly replaced it with a small smile. “Are you alright?” he asked. She touched her stomach, “Fine, I just felt a little dizzy. I had a really small breakfast.” He smiled mischievously, “Alright then, I guess I’m just going to have to take you for a really big lunch.”

For a second her eyes looked like she was battling some internal war with herself then she shook her head and smiled slightly, “I guess you will. Unless of course Mrs. Gable bores me to death first.” He turned and led her into the class room and they found two seats towards the front, “Don’t worry Drama, I’ll protect you from anything that bothers you.”

Just for a split second she looked like she was going to cry, then like she wanted to kiss him, and then like nothing had happened and he knew.

This girl is going to be big trouble, for me and my girlfriend.


“What do you mean a date?!”

“Nyla this isn’t my fault, I said yes because your rules dictate for me to.”
“What about the no dating rule, Drama?”
“Well that rule is second to rule fifty four.”

Rule #54: Never make someone wonder why you never gave them a chance. One intrigued person can dig up too many buried lies.

“What was the situation?”
“The situation details can wait until later, the current situation is that I’m late.”
“Fine Drama, have fun on your little date. Don’t be late getting back, and keep your head.”

As if I need the reminder.

Drama hung up the cell phone and put it back in her messenger bag. She stepped out of the bathroom stall and walked back out to her booth. Shane had taken her to Hegbert’s, a small diner full of old people. He had apologized for not taking her somewhere she could meet other kids from school but it hadn’t bothered her. Actually she had been relieved, all morning people had been staring at her, like she was some kind of mutant. Well not that she wasn’t, but they weren’t supposed to know that. At least here she didn’t have to deal with that.

“You’re not a vegetarian are you?” Shane asked fooling with the salt shaker. “Um, no. Random much?” she said picking up the pepper shaker. He smiled slyly, “Good, because I ordered for you, and it’s definitely not vegetarian.” “If this is some kind of gross out the new girl thing, I will force feed you this entire container of pepper,” she said without even thinking.

Good job genius, threats, real low key.

Shane laughed and Drama smiled trying to make him think she really had just been joking. Even though she so hadn’t. “No, it’s nothing like that. It’s kind of a local special, your not actually living here until you try it.” “I see,” she replied setting the shaker back in it’s place. “Oh I would hold onto that if I were you, you’ll need something to cover up the taste of this thing, and I’m not sharing the salt,” he said smiling devilishly. And then she laughed, really laughed, for the first time in a long time and she knew.

This boy is going to be big trouble, for me and the Project.


Shane where are you?

Jen sat on a quiet bench in front of the school library. Her delicate blonde hair kept falling over her eyes and she’d blow it up with her breath. Her blue eyes were staring lazily at a bush across the path and her butt was going numb. This was not how Jen Wheeling spent her lunch. She spent it squished into a booth with her totally hot boy friend at the Speeders. Crowded with all the other students on the upper side of the West Field social ladder. She never missed it. Shane never missed it.

And she knew he wasn‘t absent. She had seen him running crazily past her in the hall before first bell knocking over huddling freshman as he went. She had laughed and blown him a kiss. His recklessness was boyish, endearing. But leaving her stranded at school with the losers was definitely not endearing. It was annoying, it was butt numbing.

Jerk.

Updated here: 12/22/03

Nyla had sent an assistant to pick her up from school and Drama found it highly suspicious. She had half expected Nyla to be waiting outside her last period class demanding to be briefed on "the date" as soon as the bell rang. But, strangely she wasn't. And as much as Drama could not believe it, she felt slightly neglected.

"Did Director Nyla give you a message for me?" she asked, trying to sound innocently curious.

The assistant replied mechanically, "Director Nyla specifically ordered me to give you no explination of her abscence."

Great.

Drama punched in her security code and waited for the retinal scan to commence. The metal door slid silently open infront of her and she stepped into the large DreamNet room where Nyla was waiting for you. She approached the on duty Commander and asked, "Where is Director Nyla?"

The Commander showed no sign of aknowledging Drama's presence besides handing her a ringing security phone. Nyla answered when the call connected.

"Drama, are you ready for mission #6547?"

"Why yes, Nyla. My day at school went well."

"This is no time for your sense of humor, Drama. I repeat: are you ready?"

Drama sighed and rolled her eyes before answering, "Drama is ready for mission #6547. Directive?"

"Retrieval of rogue agent Danny."

"What?!" Drama yelled. "We're bringing in Danny? Who's going to wing that?"

"Our diretive is to bring in Danny. I am your wing."

"What - you're the wing?! Where are you, Nyla?"

"I am in Brazil. Do you understand your mission?"

Drama was trying hard not to let her stress sound in her voice. Bringing in Danny was huge, but Nyla doing wing? IN BRAZIL? She refused to get farther than five miles away from Drama at all times in case of an emergency. For her to go as far as Brazil, well something huge must be going on with Danny. But, she couldn't think about that now, she had to focus.

"Understood. Time line?"

"Enter Dream Realm in twenty minutes. You need to get him in under five minutes, can you do it?"

"Danny is difficult Nyla. He's always been strong -"

Nyla interrupted her, "And he's much stronger now, plus I've been told he has guards. But, I need to know, can you do it? I need you to commit?"

Drama was hesitant, but she had to do it. She had to do it for Danny.

"Yes, Nyla. 19 minutes and counting."

Drama heard Nyla take a nervous breath. "Be careful."
© Copyright 2003 Paige (oopaigeoo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786430-Dramatics