*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786986-Time-Part-3
by Zaring
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #786986
The tests begin...
When Beth returned to work, Jeremy was waiting for her.

“Hey, did you get some rest?”

“Yeah. Unfortunately it was nearly uninterrupted sleep!”

“What?”

“Never mind, Jeremy.”

“OK, if you say so. Hey, I almost forgot, Naudia’s husband called and said there was some kind of family emergency and she wouldn’t be in until later.”

“Great!”

“I can stay if you need me to.”

“No, it’s ok. I have to get used to this anyway, no sense in putting it off.”

“What are you talking about? Beth, I swear sometimes you just don’t make any sense! What's up with you?”

“I really am sorry, there’s just a lot of changes going on in my life. When there is change, there are adjustments to deal with. Know what I mean?”

“Yea, I know. Do you want to talk about it?“

“I don’t think that would be a good idea, but thanks for the offer.”

Beth knew that she was not allowed to tell anyone about the game. Have I already said too much? Is this a test?

“Anytime. Let me know if there's ever anything I can do.”

“Thanks Jeremy, really, thanks for everything.“

Beth made her way back to her office to collect her thoughts.

She heard a strong, demanding voice that sent chills through her and made the hair on her arms and neck stand up to complete attention. This being was not one to be reckoned with, she was sure of that right away! “Test one complete, pass, barely!” That is all he said. He was gone.

Beth shook from the fear that had overcome her when she heard the omnipotent voice.

Trying to gather her wits and strength. She said in a tone that was barely audible; "Ok, so when I have a test, I will be told I pass." Then the thought of failing came to her mind and she nearly lost control of her emotions. "What will happen to me if I don't pass?"

How on earth am I going to do this? The customers are used to me saying “Good Morning” every time they walk in the door, and she usually followed up that comment with, “How are you today?”

Both statements would now be against the rules. How would she be able to greet the customers without breaking the rules, yet manage to sound pleasant? “Lord, give me the words,” Beth quietly whispered.

“OK, here we go, I can do this!” Beth stated with confidence as she started back to the front to relieve Jeremy from his shift.

“OK, lets do this. I’m ready.”

Jeremy looked at her with a tender, knowing look. She saw it instantly and waited to hear what he might have to say. Could it be more on the rules? Did he have more information for her? But he gave her nothing new to work with. He merely said, “Good luck, Beth.”

He finished his paperwork and headed for the office to clock out. When he came back out, he looked at Beth and asked her why she didn’t have the time clock open on the monitor. “Did you forget to clock in?”

“Oh yea, I guess I did. No big deal, I will fix it.” l...damn is he just trying to make me say stuff to break the rules? But somehow, she couldn’t see him really out to get her. Yet she was sure, he was still part of the game.

“OK Beth, see ya tomorrow.”

“Yea sure. See ya.”

Beth found herself alone in the store for the first time in what seemed like eons. She was so nervous she was visibly shaking. She was so afraid that she would blow this that she found herself becoming nauseas. “I can do this!” She reminded herself. “I know I can do this!”

As a customer entered the store and said good morning to Beth, she responded “Hey, how are ya?” Perfect she thought! My new greeting! This is Texas, slang works for everything!

The customer prepared her coffee the way she liked it, grabbed a muffin and headed for the register. “Ma’am, are you ok? You look a bit pale.”

Beth smiled at the customer, “I’m fine, really. Can I get you anything else?”

“No, that’s all.”

“Your total is $2.28.”

The customer gives her $3.00 and Beth gave her back her change. “Thanks, come back and see us.”

The customer looks at Beth and says “Can you tell me the time please?”

Beth stopped dead in her tracks. She hadn’t seen that one coming at all! What was she going to do? Of course she couldn’t give the customer the time. For one, she didn’t even know the time and for two, that would be a major violation of the rules.

“No ma’am, I’m sorry I can’t.”

The customer smiled at Beth. “Of course you can’t dear, now can you? Oh, and dear, I will come back to see you!”

As the customer exited the store, Beth could hear the laughter. Test two? Did I pass? She thought to herself.

Beth started going through the whole episode in her mind. I think I passed. I think I stayed within all the rules ok.

Again, the voice made his statement, “Test two complete, pass. Better!"

Beth sighed a sigh of relief. OK, two down, I made it. But how many more will there be and are they going to be back to back and constant? How difficult will this become? She thought to herself.

The sun was starting to break over the highway and was beaming in through the front of the store. It was getting busy now and Beth didn’t have as much time to think as she would have preferred. She had to be careful, everyone was talking and asking questions and throwing greetings at her. Damn it! Why did I have to create such a chatty environment at this place? Doesn’t anybody have to be at work? She wanted to scream and tell everyone just to go! But she knew she couldn’t.

The sun beaming in was starting to give her a headache. Why does it have to be so bright? I can’t see anything! At least everyone has moved on and I can regroup before more customers come in.

Beth started over to the coffee bar to brew more coffee. She heard the bell, warning her that someone else had entered the store. She turned to see who it was, but the sun was blinding. She could only make out a silhouette. The man stopped when he saw her. Beth couldn’t move, was she in another dream? Is it him?

“Beth? Is that you?”

She recognized his voice, but couldn’t place him. “Yea, it’s me. Who are you?”

He moved out of the blinding sunlight and Beth was finally able to recognize him.

She barely whispered, "Mark?" as he came over and grabbed her for a big hug.

“Beth, I can’t believe I found you, it’s been years!”

Beth knew she was in trouble now. Is this the man in my dream? She wondered. No, that would be too easy. She knew she had to be careful, he already mentioned a period of time, years to be exact. The man in her dream wouldn’t try to trip her up like that! At least she hoped not. Beth’s mind was reeling. Would the man in her dream do something like that? Would they make him try to confuse me?

Beth broke the embrace. “It’s good to see you Mark, how are you?”

“I’m doing great. You?”

“Pretty well myself.”

“Did you ever get married?”

“No but I--” What was she going to say? It was right there and now she was unable to get the words out. She couldn't even remember what it was. What was it? She scowled.

Mark saw the look on her face and knew the confusion she felt. For a second, he almost felt sorry for her. He knew he had to change the pace a bit.

“Hey Beth, I need to get back to work, but my boss needed smokes. Can I get a pack of Marlboro Lights in a box?”

“Sure, anything else?”

“No, that’s it for now.”

“$3.45 please.”

Mark gave her the money and said “Hey, let me give you my number. Give me a call and we can go out to lunch sometime, OK?”

“Sure.” She replied. Beth realized she was going to have to think about this one for a little while. She was sure he was part of the game, but what was his role? What had she started to say? Her mind was a total blank.

As he was leaving the store, he smiled back at Beth. “I work in this area now, so you will be seeing a lot of me.”

“Great,” Beth said as he was leaving. But was it great? Somehow, she didn’t think so. It left an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Naudia finally made it in and Beth had never felt such relief!

“Naudia, is everything OK at home?”

“Yea, I just couldn’t get out of bed this morning! I felt like I had been drugged or something. I don’t know what happened. I went to bed at the same time I normally do, but I just couldn’t get up! My husband said he gave up trying to wake me after a while. He was about to call 911. He was afraid that I was dead. It freaked him out. Then bam, I was wide a wake and everything was fine, it was totally bizarre! Sorry, I'll try not to be late again.”

“No problem Naudia.” Beth sensed that there may be others that would “feel drugged” at times, she didn’t like it, she knew without a doubt she was going to be forced to play hard whether she wanted to or not!

"I’m going to go to my office n--” Beth caught herself again. I wish that word didn’t exist! She thought to herself.

“OK. Hey, are you doing better today?”

“Yea, all is well.” She wished that statement was true.

“Two tests... passed. One test beginning...Beth was sure of it!”

***

The Dream Weaver pulled everyone in to go over the game so far.

“Well, Beth is playing better than I had anticipated. Perhaps you will win this game after all.”

“Are you kidding? I have no doubts! Of course we will win!” he replied a little too matter of factly.

“Don’t be snide! It's early in the game, and you don’t have a clue as to what I will do next. You will always treat me with respect and will ALWAYS mind your tongue! Do you understand?”

“Yes Dream Weaver, I understand.”

“Very well then. Lets discuss tonight's events.”

“When Beth sleeps tonight, she will dream of Mark, not of you. She will dream of their past together and will only remember the good times of their relationship.”

He wanted to scream, "THAT’S NOT FAIR", but he knew he had to keep his mouth shut and listen to what the Dream Weaver had to say. He only prayed that he would be allowed to see her tonight, and he hoped it would be for a longer period of TIME then the previous visit.

“You seem somewhat peeved. Have I upset you with this news?” the Dream Weaver asked, hoping to start something. He was dying for his chance to step the game up a notch. He loved watching the players squirm! His highlight of the game was when he could make things more difficult! Is he going to play nice? the Dream Weaver wondered.

He wanted to say "hell yes", but merely replied, “No, Dream Weaver, I understand.”

“Perhaps you are learning the rules of the game after all!” Damn, the Dream Weaver thought to himself. Oh but they all have their breaking point. He smiled broadly at the memories.

“Well since you appear to be learning, I will allow you three statements tonight. Chose them wisely! I must ask you again, do you understand?”

“Yes Dream Weaver, I understand.”

“Fine then. You are dismissed!”

He left the room furious. Damn, it’s not fair, Beth's going to be more confused. Why does she have to dream about Mark, and just the good times at that! What can I possibly say to her in three statements without breaking any of the rules? Yet somehow try to make her see that Mark is not the man in her dream. Shit, what am I saying? He will be the man in her dreams tonight! I hate this, I hate all of it, I just want this game to be over!

***

Beth found herself more exhausted tonight than she had the night before. Sleep, I must have sleep, she thought to herself.

She tumbled into bed, sure that she was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

She dreamed of the times that she and Mark had gone dancing, moments spent with his family, The laughter they shared. She thought she could spend the rest of her life gazing into those piercing blue eyes. She had been so in love with him and she could feel it all over again throughout her dream.

The man in her dream stood over her for a moment, he just wanted to soak in her resting peacefully. It hurt him to know that she was dreaming of Mark, she looked so happy, her lips were turned up with in a slight smile. He couldn’t take it anymore, he had to wake her from the dream!

“Beth, darling, it’s me. Wake up sweetheart, please?”

Beth stirred when she heard his voice, his name almost flew from her lips, but in less than a second, she had lost it again.

“Oh thank God you're here, are you going to be able to stay this time?”

“Beth honey, I need you to focus. Find me in your heart, please! I am there waiting for you.”

“What do you mean? Baby please don’t go! Stay with me, I can’t do this without you!”

“As she reached out for him, she again caught a glimpse of the engagement ring. But as usual, HE was already gone.”

This time, Beth didn’t cry herself back to sleep, she was becoming good at this. She was becoming more angry than fearful now.

She kept going over his words in her mind. Focus, he is in my heart, and he is waiting for me!

She screamed at the top of her lungs, “I WILL WIN THIS GAME! YOU CAN NOT HAVE ME!”

Beth fell asleep again, almost immediately. This sleep would be uninterrupted by dreams and fairy tales. Even the Dream Weaver could feel she needed her rest now. He was sure that one of them would break tomorrow, and she would need her rest to survive the days events that she would face.

This concludes part 3. I posted part 4 yesterday if you are interested in reading more.

 Time: Part 4  (13+)
A rule gets broken. The game gets harder!
#791321 by Zaring

© Copyright 2003 Zaring (ginafry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786986-Time-Part-3