*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/793394-Decree
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Animal · #793394
This is a true story about a school horse with a heart of gold.
         Who would ever think that a mere school horse, could burn his personality, sweetness, and everything about him within your mind? I never did, that is, until I met Decree. School horses had come and gone; I enjoyed and held some intimate relationships with some, but never were those relationships as strong as the one I had with Decree. This horse was a twenty-three year old Saddlebred, so beautiful, elegant, and graceful; I could never believe he didn't live the life of the flashy peacock show horses. I had my third show with Decree, and my first show in the glamorous riding style, Saddle Seat. His experience and wisdom helped me that day, and I especially enjoyed that I didn't have to share such a precious gem with anyone else. Every picture which was taken of me and Decree was like no other photo I had ever had taken with a horse. My eyes glimmered with happiness and my face seemed to show as much wisdom as Decree himself. I looked like I had fallen in love with an angel, and I had.

         My lessons continued with Decree every week, and I was one of the few he tolerated. His personality was so much like a person's, it was amazing. The air around him held the kindness of a true gentleman, yet the mischief of a young child. In his eyes he told a world of stories; of success, and failure, of hard days and good ones. All you had to do was stare into his deep brown eyes, and you would lose yourself in their depths. I was always happy around Decree, to see him in the pasture filled my heart with joy. I battled nature itself to grab him from his pasture and saddle him for a ride, or to just bring him inside to escape the bitter cold.

         But, I couldn't live within my fantasy world forever. More riders came for lessons and he was used more often. I flinched and attempted to restrain myself as much as I could as I watched other riders try to beat him into a canter. I watched as their long whips were raised and then brought down with a loud crack. Decree almost always refused to move with a beating; with many years of riders I believe his sides had become rock hard and he stubbornly refused to advance into the gait. And if he did pick up the canter, he made sure that he would take the wrong lead instead of the correct one to give his ignorant rider a harder time. Decree was not a horse you beat to get what you wanted. He was as smart as they came, and you would be guaranteed a horrific ride if you tried.

         As the conditions at the barn became worse every day; I was forced to leave. The owner refused to stable my horse there, for I was but a stable girl who tacked horses and barely rode once a week. I remember the day I left that stable, and never returned. I finished riding Decree and proclaimed that if he wasn't a gelding, I surely would breed him to my horse. I never got to say a proper good-bye to Decree, with a broken heart and my tears upon his mane as I hugged him for the last time. No, our abrupt leave was not expected, and all I could do was stare at the stable that held my beloved school horse.

         Two years after I left Decree, I met with a friend who had ridden at the same stable. As I sat with her and discussed what had happened with it, I was told something which I have always dreaded.

"Sarah, Decree died several months ago."

         My heart sank with those words and my stomach lurched forward. I laid my spoon on the table and stared at the remnants of my dessert. The rest of our conversation fell on deaf ears as I could only feel the memories which I had with Decree come rushing back. All of the shows which I had competed with him, all of the ribbons which we won, and how I had just spent hours brushing and taking care of him. His satin brown coat, silken chocolate locks that spilled upon the ground, and his eyes with limitless depths. I was left with my memories so fresh within my mind that it was as if I had seen him yesterday. I cried that night when I realized Decree, the horse who had taught me everything, had died and would never be brought back again. I cried until I had no more tears, and was left with my memories to bring a bittersweet smile to my face.

         Several weeks after I spoke with my riding friend, I came across my instructor at the store. She told me that Decree didn't die a painful death. He merely pranced across the field and then suddenly died as his heart stopped. He didn't have to endure hours of having colic, or a crippling disease. I was happy to hear that he didn't have to die in such a way, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to see another horse die in front of my eyes again.

         My memory of Decree will never fade, unlike how one year fades into another, and sacred memories are forgotten. Decree will forever remain in my heart, and no other horse can replace his precious personality, amazing intelligence, and his huge heart. Decree was the guy of my dreams, and I dedicate this piece to a school horse who schooled me in life. To my Decree, I will love you forever and always hold my fond memories of you close to my heart. *Heart*

Look into his eyes,
Eyes deep with wisdom.
Stare into his soul,
and realize what it told.

Decree, with heart of gold,
with perseverance, he did mold.
A timid girl into a rider,
a weak heart, into strong.

A muzzle given for comfort,
laid upon my heart.
Accepted comfort it did bring,
to my broken heart tonight.

With tears I miss,
with fears I lay to rest.
Decree, your memory will never fade,
I will hold it close to me, to this day.


© Copyright 2003 SB Musing (sarama at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/793394-Decree