*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/795251-Opposing-Forces-The-Final-Days
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · War · #795251
For the battle to claim the Reichstag, two determined sides clash...
Opposing Forces: The Final Days


Soviet Forces

7th Infantry Division

Central Berlin

May 2nd 7:05 am 1945


“Comrades, fellow countrymen of the great Soviet Union. Today, we break the spine of the Fascist pigs that have violated our land. Their men will fight ruthlessly, for they have nothing to loose. Remember the horrors at Stalingrad. No retreat.” The Commissar stated. Vladimir Alexia observed his surroundings. What must have been two thousand of his fellow country men all huddled on a German street in the heart of Berlin, receiving orders to finally destroy the Fascist beast that had roamed the Soviet Country side but a year and a half ago. “We have been given the honor, of taking the Reichstag for the glory of our people. Let us not fail them. The Germans occupy the next five blocks toward the capital building. Spare no one. Victory or Death!” With those closing remarks, the Commissar blew his whistle, all the soldiers screamed their war-cry as they all in unison ran through the streets of Berlin. The city was devastated, it reminded Vladimir of Stalingrad three years ago. Rubble, debris, the abundance of dust in the atmosphere. This did not bother Vladimir at all though, for this was German dust that polluted the air, not Soviet. The forces turned the corner only to be met by resistance. Entrenched machine guns blazed the street with automatic fire taking down the first dozen of men to the ground with bullet holes the size of American baseballs, their bodies falling to the asphalt tainting the ground with liters of blood. Vladimir scrambled toward the sidewalk where an overturned car provided cover. ‘This is going to be a long day’ Vladimir thought to himself. His thoughts concentrated on the Vodka he would receive after the day is won, and finally being allowed to return to the Urals as a factory worker. ‘Time to get back to work, I don’t want people thinking I am some sort of Capitalist pig on a break.’ He broke from his cover, and continued the mad dash along with his fellow comrades.

Axis Forces

Improvised Regiment

Reichstag

May 2nd 7:25 am 1945


Automatic fire could be heard outside, most likely yet another Soviet advance into the city. But that did not matter to Heinrich Volkmar, for now, he was enjoying the small amount of comfort he had with his circle of brothers. Heinrich and his many fellow soldiers where all gathered up in the conference room of the Reichstag, under the ever watchful of the towering Golden Eagle that dominated the room. Ironic, this room was once the focal point of an unstoppable empire. Now, the devastated remnants of a failing nation. Heinrich pushed that thought out of his mind, and once again returned his attention to the conversation at hand. “So have you heard, it appears the allies from the west are not advancing from their position in the Ruhr…” stated Manfred. “They are handed us over to the Soviet Invaders, those scum.” Heinrich lowered his head, he had feared the rumors were true. He believed Manfred, he had connections with some of the few remaining officers. The plan from German Command was to defend the Capital from the Soviets and surrender to the Allies when they reached the Capital. Better to fall under Capitalist rule then Communist dictatorship. Heinrich rose his head, and faced his close circle of friends. “That does not change a thing for me, I plan to kill any Soviet Pig that sets foot in this building.” The others made nods in agreement. The door opened from the east side of the conference room. A voice echoed across the hall. “Good news men, I got tea for all!”


Soviet Forces

7th Infantry Division

Central Berlin

May 2nd 7:45 am 1945


Vladimir crept up along the broken down hallway of the German apartment building. He and a dozen like him where very careful as to not to create any unnecessary sound in the cracked wood that formed the floor. The noise was intense in the corridor, as two rooms down from Vladimir’s position, lied an apartment that wielded an entrenched MG44. Clearly, it was still under use, most likely littering the German streets with Soviet blood. Not for long of course. Vladimir edged his way to the door, another solider did the same on the opposite side. Vladimir raised his PPSH submachine gun at the ready, and nodded to his fellow comrade. The solider returned the nod and positioned himself in front of the door. He then smashed the door down using his boot, Vladimir swung his PPSH sight into the apartment, took aim and opened fire. After unloading a clip of 71 rounds, two German soldiers slid to the floor, their protest against the Soviet incursions ceasing. Their bodies littered with bullet holes, spewing pints of blood across the apartment floor. Vladimir smiled, “Nothing that a fresh coat of Communist red won’t fix.” Him and his comrades laughed at the remark. Morale was high, the war was drawing to a close. The Reichstag was growing near, ripe for the plucking in the name of the glorious Soviet cause. Vladimir replaced the circular clip for his PPSH, and exited the corridor along with his fellow countrymen.

Axis Forces

Improvised Regiment

Reichstag

May 2nd 8:03 am 1945


Heinrich sipped his lukewarm tea once more, a pleasant change from the small rations of water they have been receiving less and less frequently. “Where did you say you got the water needed for all this tea?” Heinrich asked Thorsten Olaf. Heinrich had only known the man for three days, but had great respect for his determination despite the dire circumstances that have gripped the nation. “I finally put those leaking pipes in the basement to good use. I have been placing buckets down there for the last two days. They have finally collected enough water to create the very tea you drink right now.” Heinrich had to smile for his ingenuity, though it did explain the somewhat metallic taste present in the beverage. “To Thorsten, the best ration officer I have ever served with…” said one of the soldiers. Everyone smiled, some patted Thorsten on the back. Suddenly, loud footsteps could be heard outside the conference room on the marble floors. A soldier appeared at the day way, he screamed into the conference room. “The Soviets, they have launched another offensive!” The men in the room smiled. “Yeah, so what else is new?” said Heinrich with a hint of sarcasm. He was awarded a few chuckles. “They are but a short distance from the court yard, in a few minuets, they will have reached this building.” The smiles in the room lost their short-lived life. Heinrich placed his tea on one of the many desks that formed the conference room. He spoke, “Quickly men, let us inform Karl.” The men nodded in agreement, placing their half drunken tea away and picking up their respective weapons. They exited the conference room and made way toward one of the many offices that darted the marble hall. The door to their superior ‘Karl-Heinz’ was closed. Heinrich knocked on the door. “Oberleutnant… Oberleutnant… sir, are you there?” Heinrich took a gambit and opened the door. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw next. There, Oberleutnant Karl-Heinz lied at his desk, with a Walter P38 held in his hand, pointing at his head, or what remained of it. Brain fragments where spewed all across the wall, his desk dripping with blood. A year ago, this would have been unthinkable, now, a more and more common sight. The men now looked to Heinrich, whom held the most battlefield experience in the group. Throsten approached Heinrich, “So what do we do now? Oberleutnant Heinrich?” Heinrich had to pause and reflect on the matter. Hundreds if not thousands of Soviet Soldiers were converging on their location, most likely with T-38 tanks to support them. All Heinrich had was a few dozen men, an anti armor weapon here and there, and determination greater then ever before. “What now you ask, we give those Soviets a resistance they have not seen yet. Remember the plans, and fight to the end. For the FATHERLAND!” The soldiers let out a war-cry without hesitation. The group quickly splat up and began running to their various positions. Heinrich armed his MP40 submachine gun, and made his way to the lobby. He took up a position behind a marble counter that sat in the rear of the entrance lobby. The marble counter on the opposite side was occupied by Throsten, whom was armed with a KAR98K. The two shot a glance at one another, nodded and then returned their attention to the barricaded entrance.

Soviet Forces

7th Infantry Division

Central Berlin

May 2nd 8:25 am 1945


There it was, the Reichstag. Its presence did not feel so dominating as Vladimir would have come to expect of the capital structure. The building had clearly seen better days. Its exterior walling cracked in various places. Small holes patched up with wooden barricades. Vladimir redirected his attention to build up forces at his present location. His fellow comrades were amassing on the courtyard opposite to the Reichstag. With each second, brought a few additional dozen men to reinforce the effort. Each minute, brought a new T-38 tank to the field. Then, the forces ceased coming. The only noise heard was the hum of the T-38 tanks and the gust of wind that separated these opposing forces. The relative silence was broken by the commanding voice of a commissar. “First wave, Attack!” three hundred soldiers sprung from their position and began their run across the courtyard. Vladimir watched as he waited for his wave to be ordered to move in. The advancing wave had reached the half waypoint with out a single shot. ‘Perhaps the Germans had abandoned the building…’ A thought that even Vladimir found a little too sweet to be true. Vladimir had to squint his eyes to see what had happened next. Three different windows all across the Reichstag busted open, all wielding entrenched MG44’s. They blazed the courtyard sending a mix of concrete and Soviet body limbs into the air. The first wave knew better then to retreat, for that would mean death as a traitor. The wave continued their futile run across the field. The last remaining Soviet soldier had just reached the footsteps that lead into the entrance before he too was penetrated by 44-caliber bullet placing a gapping hole in his right torso. The silence had recommenced. Vladimir looked to a near by Commissar to see his reaction to his decision. The officer wore an expression of small delight. ‘That cock sucker’ thought Vladimir. ‘Here, farmers and workers were dying for the great Soviet Union while you remain in safety, and preach about what is good and what is vile for the great Soviet Union.’ The Commissar walked past Vladimir, having no idea of the hostility that Vladimir holstered toward him. The officer stepped up on a T-38 tank and knocked on the hatch. The look out for the Tank emerged from the hatch and listened keenly as the Commissar began telling him orders. The lookout nodded and returned into his hatch. The turret began to rotate a few degrees to the left, then a few degrees up and fired. The deafening noise sending shockwaves across field, causing small shards of concrete that rested on the ground to spasm. One of the windows in which the Germans had been using to exploit their defense had exploding into debris and dust. Vladimir could not see across the four hundred meter long courtyard, but had to estimate whom ever was in that room did not have the fortune of surviving. The tank turret began rotating again, most likely preparing to hit yet another window. Vladimir prepared himself, for soon his wave would be called up. Hopefully these Germans did not have any more tricks up their sleeves.

Axis Forces

Improvised Regiment

Reichstag

May 2nd 8:33 am 1945


The ground shook again for the third time, a blanket of dust fell from the ceiling. Two more soldiers had joined Heinrich and Throsten in the main lobby. Ready to stop any advancement made by the Soviets. “Fuck Hitler, he is responsible for all of this.” Said a soldier in the back. Heinrich also held hatred against the man he once considered a god. Only a few days ago, Heinrich had heard over the radio that his Fuhrer had committed suicide. Now, it was the German people whom had to face the burden of his actions. “We do not fight for the Fuhrer…” said Heinrich. “We fight, for the German people.” The small group smiled. That smile would quickly die as the barricade exploded sending debris everywhere. Heinrich dived under the marble counter, covering his head to minimize contact from shrapnel. The deafening noise ceased, the debris had settled, all that remained was a cloud of dust. Heinrich stood from his position. The barricaded had been transformed into a fifteen-meter wide hole. The dust began to clear; a visible view came into sight, Berlin, or what was left of it. Heinrich could see the enemy. Rows upon rows of Soviet soldiers were huddled up at grouping of buildings just before the courtyard. There must have been hundreds of them. A scream could be heard from their direction. Then, the rows quickly approached. They broke into a sprint across the courtyard quickly making their way to the entrance. Heinrich brought his MP40 at the ready. “For the father land!” The group let out a war cry of their own. The fast approaching soldiers were becoming visible. Their features, their uniforms, their weapons. The first group began running up the steps ways, coming into clear view of Heinrich sights. The first one reached the entrance, he paused, as he saw Heinrich and his men. He reached for his gun, but failed. The right portion of his neck obliterated by Throsten’s rifle. The Russian fell to the floor. Three more replaced his absence, Heinrich no longer hesitated, he opened fire.

Soviet Forces

7th Infantry Division

Reichstag

May 2nd 8:38 am 1945


Vladimir got off to a slow start when his line was ordered to move in. He was about half way across the courtyard when the shooting had commenced. Clearly, the main lobby was occupied. The small hole in the entrance of the building forced the Soviet forces to bottleneck upon entering the building, allowing the Germans inside inflict serious casualties while remaining rather impervious. As Vladimir continued his approached, he noticed something along the east side of the structure. A hole presented it self a meter off the ground. It looked like a tight squeeze, but Vladimir guessed he could fit through. He informed a few of the closer soldiers around him of his discovery. After running for a minuet or so, they were there. Vladimir and a small group of soldiers huddled around the hole. Vladimir handed his PPSH to a fellow comrade, and began crawling through the hole. Before long, he had reached the end of the small passageway. What appeared to be sandbags prevented him from advancing. Vladimir began pushing his upper right shoulder against the barrier, forcing the sandbags off from one another. A clearing presented itself as Vladimir went through. He found himself in what appeared to be the Boiling room. A few of his fellow comrades joining him, one of them handing back the PPSH. Vladimir took notice of the abundance of empty tea bags and buckets filled with water. He refocused his attention on the matter at hand. A fellow soldier booted down the door, the group exited the boiling room. Vladimir and his men were in no rush. The magnificence of the building captured their attention. Granted, the walls and marble floors were cracked in several locations, but it had been the most elaborate structure Vladimir had ever entered. A stench of rotten remains took precedence. Vladimir looked into a near by office whom the door was already open. A German officer lay on his desk, cover in a pool of his blood, flies orbiting the remains of his head. Vladimir and the rest ignored it, the sound of gun fire drew closer. They came to the end of the hallway, where a door presented itself. Vladimir brought his head to the door, the gun fire was surly coming form the opposite side. Vladimir nodded to soldiers around him, backed up a few paces, and kicked down the door.

Axis Forces

Improvised Regiment

Reichstag

May 2nd 8:43 am 1945


The door to Throsten’s left crashed opened, revealing a horde of Soviet soldiers. The lead one wielding a sub machine gun opened fire on the relatively unaware Throsten. His scream of pain was quick as he plunged to the marble floor, painting the expensive surface with his own bodily fluids. Heinrich redirected his fire to the newly opened door way. The soldier responsible for his Throsten’s death was quick to doge, the same could not be said for the two behind them. Pallets of flesh kicked out from their torso, knocking them off their feet sending them to the abyss. Heinrich was forced to reload yet another clip into the MP40. This opportunity afforded the Soviets to fan out of the door way and into the lobby. “Fall Back!” screamed Heinrich as he pulled back the lever on the MP40 locking the fresh magazine into place. He gave a few quick bursts of fire before he made a short sprint to the door. The Soviets returned fire in his general direction. Heinrich opened the door when his left leg was penetrated with a pellet of hot lead. He mustered his strength to pull his body through the door and close it behind him. Heinrich began limping toward the service staircase. He hung a right down the marble stairways, forcing his body up the agonizing stairs. With each step forced on his left leg brought a new definition of pain unknown to Heinrich. He reached the third floor when he screamed “Don’t shoot, its me Heinrich.” He exited the stairs and entered an identical looking hallway. This hallway having an overturned wooden table with two German soldiers hiding behind it armed with MP40s. “Heinrich, you have been shot…” Heinrich gritted his teeth in pain, but still mustered the strength needed for the task at hand. He shot a glance back at the trail of droplets of blood he had left in his hasty exit. He pushed through his friend whom offered him a helping hand, and positioned himself behind the table. He took this time to reload his MP40. He pulled the magazine out from his aged uniform. ‘The last clip’ he thought to himself. He placed the magazine into the port, pulled back the lever and steadied it on the table. Already, footsteps could be heard, trotting up the stairway. “For the Fatherland…” he whispered to himself. “For the Fatherland…”

Soviet Forces

7th Infantry Division

Reichstag

May 2nd 8:48 am 1945


“These Germans are putting up a real fight comrade” said one of the soldiers. Vladimir had to agree, he did not feel like replying, the trip up the stairs alone was beginning to tax his energy. They were just reaching the third floor when Vladimir noticed something on the floor. ‘Blood’ he thought to himself. “Stop!” he screamed to his fellow countrymen. It was too late. Three of them had already swung around the corner exiting the staircase and entering the corridor. Automatic fire blazed their bodies as they shot back to the floor staining the walls and floor with blood. Vladimir upholstered a RGD-33 stick grenade, armed it, and tossed down the hallway. A scream was heard, followed by the explosion sending a combination of marble and blood across the corridor. Vladimir turned the corner and then stopped as he witnessed the results. Wooden fragments populated the floor, as two still German bodies laid further down the corridor, another German slowly crawling toward the end of the hallway leaving a trail of blood. A weapon laid down at the end of the hallway. Vladimir made a quick sprint down the hallway, passed the crawling German, and kicked the weapon further down the corridor. The German’s expression remain unchanged. Despite the fact his left leg remained attached to his body only via a few strained muscle strains, he continued to crawl. Shrapnel darted his entire uniform, and exposed skin. He seemed to be bleeding from numerous points, loosing pints of blood with each passing second, despite all of that he continued to crawl. Footsteps echoed from the rear of the corridor. Vladimir shot a glance back, to fine a group of Soviet soldiers, one bearing the Soviet flag, running down the corridor. “Come quick comrade, we are about to wave the flag over the Reichstag.” Said one of the soldiers with an expression of delight. “I shall join you soon comrades, now go in the name of Stalin.” The group ran past Vladimir, they did not pay any attention to the German, and for good reason too. He was dead, just out of hands reach of his weapon. Vladimir always admired determination; clearly this man was filled with it like Vladimir was with Vodka before the war. Vladimir rolled over the body so it now faced the ceiling, he searched the uniform and per cured a wallet. His identification was there, he planed to return it to the family in person, it was the least he could do. He began walking down the corridor, leaving scene behind him. His emotions were perplexed, he should be celebrating, the war had come to an end, and yet he still felt, sad in away. A feeling he had never harbored towards the Germans. He walked up the stairway that led to the roof. There, Soviet soldiers gathered waving the flag. Countless men on the ground cheered as they fired their weapons into the air. Vladimir could not but help stare at the Soviet flag that waved so majestically over the conquered enemy. At what a cost this simple pleasure came, a cost that both sides would have to endure for decades to come.

The End…
© Copyright 2003 RockDownCA (rockdownca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/795251-Opposing-Forces-The-Final-Days