*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/801345-The-Easter-Bunny-Rescue
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #801345
How the Purr Scouts helped save Easter.
Author's note: While originally written for a project at one of my cat clubs, this story would be ideally suited for children. Someday I hope to get the illustrations for it done. Thanks for reading and reviewing. Cynaemon





The Easter Bunny Rescue

It was early on a Saturday morning, the day before Easter, when Daenida heard a commotion in her front yard. She and BugBug raced to the window to look out and were dumb-founded at the sight before their eyes! The Easter Bunny was lying on the ground moaning. They both raced out to see what had happened.

“Oh, me, oh my! Oh, OUCH! I think I have broken my ankle, not to mention any number of Easter Eggs! Oh, what am I going to do?!? I will never get all the baskets delivered now! Oh, No! What will I ever do?”

Daenida and BugBug rushed to the rabbit’s side. “Don’t you worry, Mr. Easter Bunny….”

“Mr. Rabbit Ears. Mr. Ralphie Rabbit Ears is the name.”

“Mr. Rabbit Ears. We will help you. First let’s get you inside and see what we can do for that ankle.” With the help of Sir Dromeda and Kona, they managed to get Mr. Rabbit Ears inside, and sit him on the couch. Divinity and Kohana quickly grabbed pillows and afghans, and a footstool, and before long Mr. Rabbit Ears was settled in.

“Now don’t you worry about a thing, Mr. Rabbit Ears,” Daenida said. We are Purr Scouts, and we will take care of everything for you. Daenida then went to the phone and made some quick calls. First she called her handsome winkwink, Cookie Poisson, then she called her friends, Sir Triffan and his lovely wedwink, Squeaky. Next she called Kitty the Great, who took off from his home immediately and headed to Bunny Central, where he took care of calling trains, airlines, travel agents and Purr Scouts to make connections for Daenida and Cookie, and sending out Purr Scouts with tons of Easter Baskets.

Before long, Sir Triffan and Squeaky showed up in Triffie’s old jalopy.
Leaving Mr. Rabbit Ears with BugBug and her other brothers and sisters, Daenida jumped in and the three were off. She hoped all would be well. BugBug had grown up so much, and was a Purr Scout too. Anyway, she would not worry.

The first stop was Texas, where Sir Triffan and Squeaky met up with Lady Blue and her clan, The Reeves Kitties, and the Border Bandit and his sister BB. Sir Triffan and Lady Blue took charge, and before long kitties were on their way to deliver baskets to all of North and Central America. Leaving those areas in the capable paws of her fellow Purr Scouts, Daenida next hopped on a train to Atlanta, where she picked up Cookie. The two then took a plane to New York, where they were met by Kitty Boo and Tabitha, and were booked on a flight of the Concorde.

Daenida and Cookie were very excited. They had never been on the Concorde before. They snuggled together as the giant plane took off, and before they knew it they were in France. When they arrived in France, they were met by their good friends Prince Niklos, Queen Tissy, who had come all the way from Barcelona, and Tiddler and Scullypuss, who had come from England. Niklos and Tissy took many baskets, and hopping on the Orient Express made their way through Europe and into Asia. Tiddler and Scullypuss took baskets to be delivered in Britain and Ireland, Greenland, Iceland and the Arctic.

Next Daenida and Cookie were flown to Russia, where they were met by some very friendly and helpful kitties who had hired a sleigh and real reindeer to take them across the frozen north. They continued on down through Asia, where they caught up with Niklos and Tissy. Niklos and Tissy gathered up baskets and continued back to the Mediterranean, where they covered southern Europe and northern Africa. Leaving their sleigh, Daenida and Cookie rode horses across the desert and through China. And at each stop along the way they would collect the next bunch of baskets that had been delivered by the local Purr Scouts, who were often there to cheer them on their way.

Next they went to India, where they rode on royal elephants. Daenida was enthralled with the huge beasts and the exotic land. Leaving Bombay, they sailed across the Arabian Sea to Djibouti in Ethiopia, and from there they joined a camel caravan which took them to southern Africa. There they stopped for a welcome rest at the home of BabyCat’s old friend Pergamond. Her human prepared them a lovely feast, and they took a quick catnap before they began the last lap of the journey. Daenida would have liked to have visited Jezebel and Lilith in Japan, and their friends in Australia and New Zealand and the Antarctic, but there really wasn’t time. Besides the Easter Bunny had already delivered baskets to those areas.

A lovely old sailing ship was waiting for them, and they embarked and sailed across the Atlantic to Tierra Del Fuego at the southern tip of South America. Quickly they finished delivering baskets on that continent, riding horses across the Pampas and llamas through the Andes Mountains. From Lima they made a quick trip to Hawaii, and then headed home.

It was just noon Sunday when the tired and weary cats arrived back home and fell into an exhausted sleep. When they awoke, it was to a house full of Purr Scouts and a smiling Mr. Rabbit Ears.

“Oh, thank you all so very much. I could never have done it without your help. And as a token of my appreciation, I have some very special eggs for each of you.”

The Easter Bunny then produced a large basket filled with exotic and beautiful eggs. There were lovely hand made eggs, covered in jewels and beads. There were hand-carved soapstone eggs from Africa. Each kitty picked out one of the eggs. And for Kitty the Great, Daenida and Cookie there were three very special Faberge cloisonne eggs in jeweled colors. A pure white egg for Kitty the Great, an unusual black and white egg for Daenida, and a lovely deep grey egg for Cookie. The eggs were decorated with lovely jewels, and each egg opened to reveal a tiny golden Easter Bunny with a basket in his paw. The eggs were musical, and played lovely old songs

And for BugBug there was the most special egg of all. An exquisite pink crystal egg. BugBug clapped her paws together and gave Mr. Ralphie Rabbit Ears a huge hug. Then all the Purr Scouts crowded round, thanking Mr. Rabbit Ears and all mewing at once.

Daenida and Cookie looked at one another and winked. What an interesting adventure it had been. They could hardly believe it had all started a little more than twenty-four hours ago. They thought of all the places they had been, and of the things they had seen. Then they looked at Mr. Rabbit Ears again. Perhaps he had given them just a bit of his magic after all.

Purrs,
Sage Lucinda BugBug
Catuary by the Sea
© Copyright 2004 Cynaemon (noelanicat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/801345-The-Easter-Bunny-Rescue