*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/801493-Poetry-Newsletter-January-29
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Educational · #801493
Newsletter for January 29, 2004, prose vs poetry
Prose vs Poetry



         What is the difference between prose and poetry?

         Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition states prose is    a. the ordinary language people use in speaking or writing; b. a literary medium distinguished from poetry especially by its great irregularity and variety of rhythm and its closer correspondence to the patterns of everyday speech.

         According to the same source, poetry is 1. a metrical writing: verse; 2. writing that formulates a concentrated awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response though meaning, sound, and rhythm.

         Let's look at these two types of writing and see if we can indeed discover the differences and the similarities.




Prose and poetry writing have different characteristics and approaches.


1. Prose has sentences arranged in paragraphs. The information presented is more pragmatic, many times, than in poetry. Sentences in paragraphs of prose follow each other, one after the other. The first word of each sentence is capitalized. Although, punctuation for both prose and poetry is the same, the first line of each paragraph of prose is indented. The language of prose is straight forward, with less figurative language than poetry.

2. Poetry has a different form than prose. The appearance of poetry on the page or computer screen is different, unique. Where prose has paragraphs, poetry has stanzas. Where prose has sentences in a paragraph coming one after another, poetry divides into shorter lines, with a phrase or group of words that join together on each line. In traditional poetry, the first word of each line is capitalized. Some modern versions of poetry have only the first word of each sentence capitalized as in prose. Indenting of lines depends on where the writer desires to have indenting. Poetry is created with figurative language such as poetic devices and is more concise and precise, concentrated than prose.

         Let's look at an example that is first written in prose format, then in poetry form. Ask yourself what the similarities are and then what the differences are.


Example of Prose and Poetry Versions



Prose version:

         A woman stands on a mountain top with the cold seeping into her body. She looks at the valley beneath as the wind whips around her. She cannot leave to go to the peaceful beauty below.

         In the valley, the sun shines from behind the clouds causing flowers to bloom. A breeze sends quivers through the leaves of trees. The water gurgles in a brook. All the woman can do is cry.


Poetry version (What poetic devices can you find in the poetry version?)


                     The Woman on the Peak
                    by Vivian Gilbert Zabel

         The woman stands upon the barren peak,
         Gazing down on the world beneath.
         The lonely chill seeps from the ground
         Into her feet, spreading, upward bound.
         The angry wind whistles ‘round her head,
         Whipping her hair into streaming snakes,
         While she watches, wishes, weakly wails.

         Beyond the mountain, sunshine peaks,
         Teasing flowers to survive and thrive.
         The breeze whispers through the leaves
         Causing gentle quivers to sway the trees.
         Laughter gurgles as the splashing brook
         Playfully tumbles over rugged rocks,
         While the woman above can only grieve.

(Poetic devices used: personification, alliteration, caesura, enjambement, metaphor)


Highlighted Items


I tried to find material that would show how prose and poetry can be so close, yet are different. I found some examples that are excellent.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#629718 by Not Available.


This poem could be rewritten easily into a story, a prose writing. Note how well the message is found in the words, yet are poetic in language.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#800324 by Not Available.


Yes, I've used this author before, but he had just what I needed for an example. Workstalker writes in poetry, yet this item is prose, a short story. Notice the form. The lines are not as concise and condensed. We read paragraphs rather than stanzas of poetry. He also includes some of his poetry as an introduction. That makes comparing the two types of writing easier.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#805249 by Not Available.


Another item that easily have been written as either prose or poetry. The language is poetic, as is the form, though.

The following two items are written by the same writer. The first is a prose, a story. The second is an example of taking the emotion of the prose item and condensing it into poetry.

 Rosa Lacrimas  (ASR)
How Sho contemplates his young, but already dangerous life to a simple flower.
#725741 by Suzie_Gee


 Lacrimas  (ASR)
Same theme as the prose piece, but in poetry form. Curiosity links to pain.
#801669 by Suzie_Gee




I hope you enjoy the writings I chose to highlight each week as much I do. Words are such marvelous tools to create mental pictures. The writers highlighted are really artists.



Wanted: Your Sensory Poetry


         If you have poetry that appeals to the five senses (sight, smell, hearing, taste, feel), or to at least three of the five, please email me links to your poems. I want to find at least eight poems to highlight in the Poetry Newsletter four weeks from now. Send the links to vzabel@writing.com.



Feedback



Submitted By: windac

Thank you for your most informative newsletter! Your list of poetry terms and their definitions will be most helpful. I've saved this to my favorites so I can refer to it again and again and am already looking forward to the next edition.

~Wind in my Wings~

Thanks, I'm glad you can use the information.



Submitted By: charm1

Viv,
I just want to thank you for the explanations on the different forms and styles of poetry. Seems that everyday I learn something new from the site. Write On!

I learn something here everyday, too. Isn't it nice that we have so many people who are willing to share?


Submitted By: Private

I just wanted to thank you again for including my poem in your newletter. Also, your feedback was very helpful--it made me really think about my poem.

Thanks!
Merrijane

Thank you for sharing your work with us.


Submitted By: portenia

Just a short message to tell you how much I enjoy your newsletter. As a current student of American Literaure, I find all your selection of material (both theory & practice) extremely useful!! Thanks! Portenia

I'm very happy that you find the material used helpful. All four of the Poetry Newsletter editors try to present information that will aid poets and poetry readers, whether beginning or experienced.


Submitted By: SB Musing

I found your Poetry terms and examples extremely helpful. I think your poetry devices were wonderful and I found it even better to understand the terms with them. Thank you for helping me, and other poetry lovers, discover even more about creating great poetry!

You are welcome. I hope I can continue to send useful material to you.


Submitted By: jw52130

I cut and pasted the meanings of poetic words where I can refer to them as I did not even know what kind of talent the Lord had given to me I will study them tomorrow and find out thank you so very much

I'm glad I was able to help.


Submitted By: billwilcox

Really great Newsletter, Viv. I felt like I had sat down in the back row of your poetry class. Good Work!

Oh, Bill, you would have been throwing spit-wads and talking to other students the whole time. *Laugh*


Submitted By: Kendra

Just wanted to say thanks for the newsletter--it was a refresher to me! Sometimes in the midst of writing poetry one forgets about the devices, so this was a great reminder! Thank you!


Thank you. Sometimes when a poem seems, well, blah, I look to see where I can do some re-wording and use some devices not already included. That practice many times lets a poem come alive.

Until next time, write and read beautiful poetry.

Viv

© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/801493-Poetry-Newsletter-January-29