*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/812615-Strange-Connections
by Serf
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fanfiction · #812615
A visit to another world to meet Merlin the Magician
Several years ago while going for a walk, I stumbled upon a path I had never seen before. Up for a challenge, I decided to explore the new path and see what kind of adventure I could discover.

Thinking back on that day, I often wonder why I didn't notice the "difference" in my surroundings, until I had been hiking along for awhile. The closer I got to the top of the path, the more it seemed like the path was revealing itself to me instead of being open and traversed. I stopped in my tracks and made a sweeping observation of the area I was in. To my surprise, the rustling of the trees and bushes was not caused by the wind, but by them moving to cover the path behind me and to reveal the path in front of me!

The adventure I had been waiting to discover had me right in its grip! Without hesitation, I continued my hike with child-like curiosity and impatience. What would I find at the end of the trail? My questions and curiosity would soon have an answer.

As the last of the branches cleared the way for me, I soon emerged into a small clearing. Taking notice of my surroundings, I saw a massive tree, large enough to house several full-grown adults inside, and a swept clearing almost like a yard--that contained the glowing embers of a recently abandoned fire.

There was also a "feel" to the area, almost like it was enchanted. Keeping the thought of enchantment close at hand, I began walking towards the yard and glowing embers. That's when I noticed a figure sitting far enough in the shadows, that I had missed while I was making my initial observations.

The figure was a man, with a long, flowing, snow-white beard. He was sitting cross-legged and was wearing a long brown, coarse tunic that had seen better years. Despite his appearance, I could tell there was something special about this individual.

He summoned me with a surprisingly strong voice to join him at the fire, which had grown from glowing embers to a roaring bonfire. What amazed me was the fire grew so strong without any wood being put on it. Once again I began to suspect enchantment with a spattering of mystical and magical.

With the proper introductions, I soon found out I was with Merlin, the advisor and sorcerer to King Arthur. How did I get so lucky to find and meet Merlin? "That is simple my dear child," Merlin replied, "I cleared the way for you and created that trail as an easy access from your world to mine."

"Your world? My world? Did I just travel through time?" I weakly asked, glad of the fact that I was already sitting down.

"You traveled from one world to another, but you did not travel through time. This world floats so very close to yours, that at times they almost seem to be one. It is during that time that the trail you just traversed is accessible."

"Why did you choose to bring me to your world?"

"You are an individual who enjoys challenges and intellectual conversations. I felt you would be the the perfect individual to share my studies with and pass that knowledge down to. With you, I will have contact once again with your world since I cannot leave this one. My magical powers are diminishing and this is the only way I can pass the knowledge on."

The hours flew that day while we discussed the realm of his knowledge and what he had in mind for me to carry back to my world. As the day came to an end, Merlin handed me a pouch from his worn tunic.

"What is this Merlin?" I asked as I held it in my hands.

"That pouch contains a special amulet that I will be able to contact you with. Keep it close to you, or wear it, for when the time comes that these two worlds are close enough to be one, I will summon you through the amulet."

"How will I know when you are trying to reach me Merlin?"

Merlin replied, "The amulet has a center stone that will glow and grow warm when I send the summons. You will then come back to the area you originally found the path, and I will clear the way for your passing."

The fire began to burn down to the glowing embers as they were when I first entered the clearing. By impulse, I pulled the amulet from the pouch, held it between my fingers so it was dangling in the air, and fell to my knees in front of Merlin. "Ah, child," Merlin replied, "it is very good to have an apt pupil who is so eager to learn and please. Go now with this amulet as a reminder until I summon you again."

"Good-bye Master," I replied, "I will be eagerly awaiting your summons."

So ends the first of many visits to the clearing with Merlin. Knowing the amulet was in my possession, I eagerly awaited my next visit to Merlin.
© Copyright 2004 Serf (sforpen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/812615-Strange-Connections