*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/813691-The-Adventures-of-Princess-Ojjas-Cat
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #813691
a modern fairy-tale, based on the life of a real princess
The Adventures of Princess Ojja’s Cat

Hi, My name is Busan, and I am the Cat of her Royal Highness, Princess Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree Gustav. Or Ojja, as I call her. My Princess is a lovely and thoroughly modern Princess, and we have had many lovely adventures together.

Oh, I laugh out loud as I remember our first great adventure, when I was just a tiny kitten, and the Princess herself was no more than a toddler. I had only been with the Princess a short time, but I knew already that she was very special. Carl, that is the Princess’ Father, you know, had decided to change the law, so that my sweet Princess would become the next Monarch of the country. A very smart and forward-looking Father, if you ask me. No use waiting for a silly Prince, when you can have a Princess instead.

As it turns out, if you are a Crown Prince, or Princess, as is the case, the Swedish Flag is flown on your name day as well as your Birthday. I thought that was just too cool. I wanted to climb up on that flagpole and yell to all the world. This is my Princess’ Birthday. Well, being a young and silly kitten, that is just what I tried to do. I climbed out the window and onto the flagpole. And little Ojja climbed up and prepared to follow me.

Mew. You have never seen such a to do. The nanny fainted dead away, and luckily King Carl and the Queen Mother Silvia were there to rescue the Princess before she had a chance to get much past the window frame. I myself was not quite so lucky, and suddenly I found myself hanging by one paw, and looking a long way down to the pavement. Just as suddenly, a large firm hand grasped me by the neck, and pulled me to safety, and I snuggled close to the broad chest of the King, Carl.

After that, it seemed we had one adventure after another as the Princess and I grew up together. I learned to sit close to the Princess as she galloped madly about in the fields around the Palace. At first the rides were quite bumpy, but my Princess soon became an excellent rider, and I must admit it was great fun to see the world from the back of a horse. Not many a cat has that opportunity.

Next the Princess learned to ski, for what else would a Princess growing up in Sweden do, with all of those lovely mountains and ski resorts and all. And I learned to snuggle firmly in her backpack with one paw on each shoulder as she raced wildly down the ski slopes. Ah, the feeling of the wind in my fur, and the trees racing by. And later, in the ski lodge we feasted, she with hot chocolate, and I with a bowl of lovely warm milk.

She leash-trained me, and we went on many lovely hikes together through the woods near the summer palace. I admit I was sad to never find any tiny cottages made of gingerbread, or any old woodsmen waiting to save a Princess in distress. I guess those were only things in stories. We did find amny lovely wildflowers, and the memory of their sweet scents still takes my breath away.

In quieter moments, the Princess taught me to love music, and we would sit and listen and dream romantic dreams. It seems many young girls dream of becoming a Princess, and finding a handsome Prince with whom to fall in love. But my Princess dreamed of... well, perhaps her dreams should remain our secret.

Sometimes the Princess would read to me, and that was no doubt my favorite time. Then the Princess would sit quietly on the window seat in her bedroom, and I would sit in her lap, and look at the pictures as she read. Those were lovely times, when we would sail away to faraway places on magic carpets, or find our heroines in some romantic but tragic love story.

Then before I knew it, my Princess grew up, and I became quite old. She decided to join the Swedish Army, being the thoroughly modern Princess that she is, and I longed to go with her. But I was much too old, and my days of high adventure were over. How empty the Palace seemed, as I sat by the window and waited for the mailman’s letters. Ojja was very faithful, and wrote me almost every day. But I admit I was often worried about her. I had heard of this thing called war, and it did not make me hapy to know that my dear Princess could be in harm's way. Also I was lonely, and I could feel that she was wandering away from me. I missed her a lot when she was out doing her Princess jobs, and I was always so glad to see her. I guess one day she will eventually get married, and I will no doubt cross the Rainbow Bridge, as I am getting quite old now, almost 20.

I will be sad to leave my dear Princess when the time comes. I have had a very good life, and have been a very lucky cat. But all Princesses grow up, and all fairy-tales must finally end. I hope that all of you have had such a wonderful life.

Purrs, Busan

by Sage Lucinda BugBug
Catuary by the Sea
© Copyright 2004 Cynaemon (noelanicat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/813691-The-Adventures-of-Princess-Ojjas-Cat