*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/821144-Deeply-Loved-Dearly-Missed
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Writing · #821144
A "Describe a Woman" contest entry (250 words or less without using she, her, etc)
Deeply Loved, Dearly Missed


He still visits their secret hideaway place. Their hidden retreat from all things busy place. Their special picnic place.

It's here where he comes to remember the sound of coy giggles caressing his ear or the vision of midsummer sunshine bouncing off ethereal wisps of golden hair. He loved how those gorgeously soft wisps of hair would misbehave during late night pillow fights or intimate naughty times.

It worries him the memories are fading now...growing weaker with each story recalled. The scent of perfume hardly lingers on the breeze anymore. The playful touches are getting ever harder to feel. The catch me if you can laughter and I love it when you do that purrs echo more faintly about here now. He regrets every photograph moment not captured...every kiss not given.

He returns to retouch their past but each fading memory pushes him further and further into the future. Like the tattered remains of their kite caught high on a willow tree branch, he wonders what will be left of his memories waiting for him the next time he visits.

He thinks about how greedy the cancer was. A breast wasn't enough. It wanted more. It wanted everything. In the end it didn't win and never would...they wouldn't let it...not as long as he remembers the promise he made.

He's back here today with their young son. Back to the place where he was conceived.

He's determined to make their angel proud.




















© Copyright 2004 Thumbsucker (thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/821144-Deeply-Loved-Dearly-Missed