*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/822700-Beyond-the-Door
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #822700
I wrote this a long time ago. I just like it though.
As I step up to the door, it slides open. I pause for a moment before passing through the door I dreaded most. Once I went through, I had to believe that this was actually happening to me. Beyond the door, the walls are bleach white and the air is filled with the aroma of disinfectant and an overwhelming staleness. Walking down the hall I feel so alone, even though there are people in the hall with me. It's as though they can't even see me. Above our heads, a soft humming sound, almost inaudible, comes form tth dim fluorescent lights. Though it is soft, the humming seems to be blaring and ringing in my ears. Every few yards, there are more doors on each side of the hall. Each door is numbered and is open slightly. As I pass by, I can hear groans and cries that seem more like screams of terror filling my head. The sense of pain or death is everywhere. I can't tell which, but I can see it on everyone's face as they pass by, without even a glance. I can't remember where I am or why I'm here, and it is frightening. I want to go back out the sliding door I went through just a few moments ago, and forget all about this place, unfortunately it's too late now. I finally make it to the end of the hall and someone directs me into the last room. I don't know who it is. I didn't see them there a second ago.
I stand in the doorway looking in. It's so sad in there, but I don't know why. There is a group of people standing around something, whispering, staring, and crying. I finally work up the courage and go in. I saw that it is a bed they are standing around and there is a person laying in it. There are too many people and I can't get close enough to see who it is. This room has the same odor as the hall except for a hint of flowers. I look around and see half deflated balloons swaying back and forth in the stale air, cards scattered all around and a few bunches of wilting flowers. It looks as though a great deal of work went into making this room have a different feel than the hall, but the task was too great and all efforts went unseccessful. I'm ripped away from my trance by a long beep so loud and so violent, it can only mean one thing, and the outburst of crying and wailing of the group of people prove it. Death has claimed another life.
Suddenly I feel myself being lifted up toward the ceiling and see the person on the bed. They look familiar somehow, a person I've known for my whole life, someone I'm very close to, but I don't know who. I am being lifted higher and faster. I can't breath. my heart feels as though it should be pounding, but I can't feel it beating at all. I think I should be scared out of my mind but I am surprisingly calm. Then I realize that the person on the bed was me, and everything goes dark.
© Copyright 2004 sh0rtch1k (sh0rtch1k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/822700-Beyond-the-Door