*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/825081-Copper-and-Calathias
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #825081
A duel decides the fate of two lovers...
The rapier came in quicker than he expected. The slender mithril blade ducked deftly under his raised shield and glanced off his breastplate, leaving a bright metallic scratch across the relief of Sune that was displayed prominently across his chest. His opponent dodged unexpectedly to his right and scored yet another glancing blow upon his helmed face.

His right arm was beginning to grow tired from swinging a ten-pound bastard sword in a futile attempt to strike his ever-moving opponent whose style was based on finesse and speed. His fighting style was that of warriors of old: shield and sword. It had proven effective enough for his ancestors to teach it to their descendants for countless generations. But now it was more of a hindrance than anything.

Another blow from his darting and unarmored opponent brought his thoughts back to the realm of reality…and what a reality it was. It was her beauty that had first made him notice her. Her flame red hair and defiant smile of independence had won his heart. A pity she was now trying to remove it from his chest. Her silvery blade came in high this time and he managed to bring his steel blade up in time to meet hers in a shower of sparks and sound of screeching metal. He grasped the sword hilt with two hands and pushed down with all his might, his blade slamming forcefully down upon his opponent’s basket hilt. This unexpected maneuver brought her guard down for a mere moment as the momentum of the heavier bastard sword and his strength pushed her slender arm down to the ground. She faltered in her stance and he seized upon this golden opportunity to perhaps finally gain the upper hand. He moved forward, shoulder leading and aimed at her chest.

Unfortunately for the young paladin, his movement was hindered by the sixty pounds of steel that encased him and to the unarmored woman, his movements were lethargic and predictable. Her booted foot swung out as she allowed herself to drop to the soft grass below her and caught the paladin’s kneecap squarely. Unable to compensate for this unexpected shift in momentum, he found himself falling face first into the dirt. He was soon staring down the blade of a beautifully crafted elven rapier and into the smirking feminine face of his defeater.

“You know Cal…the next time you care to try and solve who cleans the privy over swords, remember this moment…” she said in a melodic voice that was edged with an ever-present sense of sarcastic wit.

She offered a hand to the fallen paladin and he accepted sheepishly. Once he was on his feet Calathias removed his now dented and scratched helm and shook his long red hair free. He smoothed it over the slight point of his half-elven ears and turned his amber gaze to his beloved opponent.

“Well my dear Copper…that is one. Now shall we see who gets to clean out the stables?”

Her blade was in her hands and present at his throat before he even took a step towards his fallen blade.

“On second thought, why don’t I just clean out the stables before I clean the privy…?”

His words echoed throughout the courtyard as Copper walked down the path, smiling to her self and thinking that married life wasn't so bad after all.
© Copyright 2004 Chris & Christina McCoy (silverfyre at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/825081-Copper-and-Calathias