*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/834972-The-Haunting-of-Kalarneys-Castle
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Ghost · #834972
A castle that has its own tale. A haunting one which you will see.
The year was 1619. It was a time when castles were commonplace. Kalarney Castle offered its own story. Its walls screamed of death. There was a young princess or maiden, as I like to think of her, that made a very horrorifying discovery. A scream was all that was heard from her lips. Her name was Elizabeth; aged, fourteen. A young maiden that felt love from a servant. Her eyes close but the memory of this death was forever there.

The master of the castle, Fredrick was a harsh man. He hardly ever had a smile. His voice was one of horror as anyone heard him could attest. He had a manical laugh that echoed through the castle. Elizabeth hated to hear the laugh. It was forboding, haunting as Fredrick had wanted it to be.

There was a lady over Elizabeth. She wasn't her mother. Elizabeth's mother died giving birth. The lady's name was Annie Mae. She was the only friend that Elizabeth. When Fredrick was irrate, his cursing were heard by Elizabeth. She was afraid of him. Very afraid of the only dad she knew. It was painful to see her, Elizabeth cry. It was even more painful to her crying. Annie Mae was the only one who could comfort Elizabeth. There was no other lady who carfd.

One night, the screams heard by Elizabeth, was when Annie Mae was struck down by Fredrick. Why?
Because Annie Mae had showed love to Elizabeth instead of creating within her additional fear. Fredrick called Annie Mae to his study. Having approached her, he had a hatchet. He swung cutting Annie Mae's clear of her shoulders.

The next day, Elizabeth wanted to see Annie Mae. Fredrick told her that she took leave of her position and would not be returning. Fear gripped her heart. She knew Fredrick wouldn't just let Annie Mae leave on her accord. Elizabeth longed for the day to have Annie Mae to come back. Never ever would she; of course.

Sometime later, Fredrick died. Elizabeth was then twenty-four years of age. A little girl within a mature body was Elizabeth. Having the castle left to her remained. It was a night that came making Elizabeth's decision one she would regret.

The night was heavy. The pendulous clouds and fog surrounded the castle. It was on a cliff overlooking the water beneath. The fog was dense. Elizabeth couldn't see the light that she mornally did from her bedroom window. It was the same night that the screams were heard. The screams that were encased in the haunting walls of the castle. Annie Mae had returned, in spirit anyway. Loud were the sounds,the screams that drifted to the second=floor where Elizabeth was.
Elizabeth was able to hear the screams. She didn't know where they were really coming from. She took her candle and slowly down the stairs. When she arrived at her late dad's study she turned the knob. The wind was very harsh. The doors that offered sunlight within the study on a clear day swung open. Scared to the deepest sense was Elizabeth. The hidden bloodstains that Fredrick thought he got rid of were visible. It was as if Annie Mae was beckoning Elizabeth to see what her dad had done those many years ago. The screams continued. Elizabeth unable to bear them further ended her life that night. She went through the open doors and from the floor of the study; Elizabeth's body was found; on the rocks below.

Today, the castle remains to haunt those that will hear the screams Annie Mae's ghost makes. Elizabeth, too, walks the halls, and comes down the stairs from her bedroom. How could one tell that? The candle she used to descend the stairs gives its glow on the anniversary night of Elizabeth's passing.
© Copyright 2004 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/834972-The-Haunting-of-Kalarneys-Castle