*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/838797-1--My-secret-garden-fairy
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #838797
Tessie makes a wonderful discovery, when the roses in her garden begin to disappear.
Intended to be a picture book for children aged 4-9

         "Good morning, little birds," Tessie called as she skipped toward her garden, pushing her long brown curl's from her rosy red cheek's.

         "And good morning to you, Tessie," the birds chirped back at her.

         "Oh, look. The roses have grown!" she beamed, leaning down and taking a large sniff of the pink rose before her. "I think I'll pick this one today," she announced, quickly skipping back up to her house.

         Tessie rambled through her mother's kitchen drawer and pulled out her favorite red handled garden cutters.

         When she arrived back at her garden, the biggest surprise greeted her. "My rose!" she gasped. "Who took my rose?" It was no where to be seen!

         Tessie gazed up at the large willow tree at the very spot her chirping bird friends sat. "Maybe they took it? Oh dear!" She sighed. "I'll have to wait until another grows."

         The very next day Tessie came skipping down the path once again, keen to check her rose bushes. And to her glee, on the very same bush as yesterday, a beautiful dew covered rose sat staring at her. "Oh wow, it's bigger!"

         Tessie ran off to fetch her mother's clippers once again, soon returning full of excitement.

         "Today, I will put you in my new glass vase," she told the rose. But much to her surprise this rose had disappeared too! "Oh, no! Who keeps taking my roses?"

         "I think it was the garden fairy, Tessie," a sweet voice suddenly sung from above.

         Tessie looked up to see the prettiest love bird perched upon a willow branch. "I have a garden fairy?"

         "Why yes, you didn't know?"

         "No, but I wish I had," she answered with a loud sigh.

         "Well, if you sing a lovely song I'm sure she'll come out to meet you."

         Tessie smiled a large smile as she wondered which song would be lovely enough to entice the fairy. "How about rock a bye baby?" she wondered out loud.

         The love bird suddenly flew down, landing gently on her shoulder and shaking his little feathered head. "I happen to know that she likes Mary, Mary, quite contrary," he chirped.

         "I know that one," Tessie declared, clapping her hands joyfully. "Will you help me sing it?"

         "Why, of course."

         The sweetest sound then echoed through the garden as they sung their sweet song.

         Tessie watched the bushes carefully as their lovely song came to an end, and a tear began to form in her eye.

         "Please don't cry. We'll try again tomorrow," he promised.

         The sun was very bright the next day when Tessie ran to her garden. And to her joy, there on a different bush, was a big, beautiful red rose.

         "Hello there, Tessie," the same little bird greeted. "Are you ready to sing again?"

         "Oh, yes," she beamed, nodding with enthusiasm. So again they sung as sweetly as they could. But to Tessie's dismay, the garden fairy remained hidden. "Maybe she doesn't like me?"

         "Oh, I'm sure that's not true," the little bird assured her. "She may just be sleeping."

         But Tessie's tears still flowed. They ran down her cheeks, and spilled onto the glistening red rose petals.

         "Please, stop crying," a tiny voice suddenly said from behind the rose.

         Tessie stared down at the tiny creature that suddenly appeared. She was just as Tessie would have imagined. She had the longest, most golden hair that Tessie had ever seen. And wore a beautiful, pale pink dress made of tiny pieces of silk. "Little fairy! You came out to see me!"


         "Of course I did. I couldn't resist your lovely song," she answered, giving Tessie a wink and fluttering her tiny golden wings. "And tears are just as good as the morning dew," she added.

         "Why do you like tears and dew?" Tessie asked the tiny creature.

         "For my home of course," she answered, suddenly zipping upward and hovering in front of Tessie's face.

         "Your home?"

         "Yes, come and I will show you," the petite creature said, turning and flying off into the rose bushes.

         Tessie and her bird friend followed, being very careful not to prick themselves on the sharp rose thorns.

         "Look and you will see," the fairy said, presenting the astonishing sight before them.

         Tessie bent down and carefully separated the colorful bushes, revealing the tiniest prettiest home she had ever seen. "Oh, wow! It's a fairy house!" she exclaimed, with delight. "I have a fairy house in my garden!"

         "Yes, you do," the little winged creature said. "I am sorry I took your roses," she added as she flitted back and forth.

         "Why do you take my roses?"

         "My house is made of rose of petals, and the morning dew holds them together so well," she answered, showing Tessie a tiny fairy smile full of tiny fairy teeth.

         "What are you up to down here, Tessie?" her mother suddenly asked, giving Tessie a fright.

         "Look Mummy, a fairy lives in our garden!" she said, pointing down toward the garden bed.

         "Are you playing a game, Tessie?" her mother asked, staring down at the now empty space amongst the flowers.

         "But, she was here a minute ago, and so was her little house!" Tessie stressed, glancing around in search of her new found friend. But she was no where to be seen. The little fairy had completely disappeared!

         "Come on Tessie, I'll make you a snack," her mother offered with a warm smile.

         "But she was there, Mummy!" Tessie stated as she turned and began to follow.

         "I'm sure she was, sweetheart."

         Tessie's face filled with sadness as she trekked after her mother. But just then, she glanced up at the huge willow tree swaying gently in the breeze, and there on one of the branches, was her little bird friend. As she passed he flapped his wings and gave her a knowing wink. Tessie knew then, that her secret had to be hers alone. Nobody could ever know that she had her very own secret garden fairy.
© Copyright 2004 leajones-inkjunky (leaball at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/838797-1--My-secret-garden-fairy