*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/839435-Not-Your-Average-Cinderella-Story
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #839435
A Cinderella story with no magic or evil family.
This story doesn’t begin with once upon a time. You won’t be reading about a wicked stepmother and stepsisters, only a poor girl living with her mother and father in a small village on the outskirts of a grand kingdom.

“Here ye, here ye. One month hence, His Majesty the King Derek Christopher Ronald the Second and Her Majesty Queen Louisa Elizabeth Christine, are throwing a ball in honor of their son, Prince Derek Christopher Ronald the Third’s birthday. Everyone young woman in the kingdom is requested to attend.”
Ellie ran back to the shop excited about the news. “Mother, Father, did you hear? There’s going to be a ball at the palace! All the young women of the kingdom are invited!”
“That’s wonderful dear!” her mother exclaimed.
“Mother, would you please make my dress?” Ellie asked hopefully.
Her mother’s face fell. “Honey, every other girl will be wanting me to make her dress as well. I’m afraid I won’t have the time to make yours.”
“Oh, well. That’s all right. I don’t have to go to the ball.” And by that evening, Ellie had given up going to the ball.
Seeing her daughter so down, Ellie’s mother tried her hardest to finish thirteen other girls’ dresses in time to make her own daughter one. She worked day and night with three helpers trying to get the dresses finished in time.
By the evening of the ball, Ellie had forgotten all about it and went along with her daily chores. An hour before the ball was to begin, Ellie’s mother told her to clean up her room. Knowing her room was already clean; she went anyway and gasped at the sight. A beautiful gown lay on her bed and at the foot sat a pair of the most beautiful slippers Ellie had ever seen. “That was my wedding dress and your father made those shoes especially for you,” her mother said. Ellie hugged her mother and father and thanked them.
Before she knew it, Ellie was on her way to the ball in a carriage rented with her mother and father’s savings. Ellie was so happy; she couldn’t stop smiling. She remembered her mother’s words to come home at midnight for the carriage was due back at twelve-thirty.
The footman opened the door and helped Ellie down the two steps. “Don’t forget, miss, midnight.” Ellie thanked the footman and walked up the stair to the door of the stunning palace. Once inside, Ellie was asked how she wanted to be announced. Listening the girls in front of her, Ellie whispered in the man’s ear.
“Presenting, Elexandra, daughter of shoemaker, Henry and dressmaker, Julia,” the herald announced. Ellie thanked him and walked to the end of the line of girls at the bottom of the stairs. This was a dream come true. Ellie couldn’t believe she was going to dance with the prince. The line looked oh so long, but Ellie knew that she could wait forever for that one special moment.
Ellie moved closer and closer to the front of the line. Her heart was a flutter at the thought of dancing with the prince she had heard so much about. She was imagining the dance when she heard, “Excuse me, miss?” She snapped her head in the voices direction and saw a man with his hand held out to her. Embarrassed, she took his hand and he led her to the dance floor where a handsome man stood waiting. Her breath was taken from her when she saw the prince standing waiting for her.

Prince Derek’s breath was also taken from him at the sight of the beautiful girl being led his way. He felt something in his heart give way and smiled at her. “It is you. I dreamt about your beautiful face.” He took the girl’s hand and nodded secretly at the escort who went back to the line of girls and dismissed them. Prince Derek and Ellie danced as if the night would never end.

When Prince Derek and Ellie tired from dancing, they went out and talked in the garden. Ellie was wishing the night would never end when she heard the clock start to chime and looked at the clock. Ellie stood up in a hurry. “I must leave. I have to get home.”
“But-“
“I have to go. Thank you for the wonderful evening. I will never forget it.” She kissed him quickly on the cheek and ran out of the garden. On the steps she tripped and lost one of her beloved shoes. In too much of a hurry to pick it up, Ellie took the other one off and ran to the carriage.

Prince Derek chased after her. He realized in his awe of her, he had forgotten to ask her name. He yelled for her, but Ellie was already gone. Prince Derek hung his head. How would he ever find the wonderful girl he had danced the night with? He looked down and saw a jeweled shoe on the stair. From that moment, he swore he would find her and marry her.

Arriving home in tears, Ellie ran to her room without so much as a hello to her parents. While her father took the carriage back, Ellie’s mother went up to her room to comfort her. She opened the door and saw Ellie lying on her bed sobbing, still in her dress and clinging to her one shoe. Ellie’s mother helped her out of the dress without and questions as to why Ellie was crying. Her mother knew that something awful must have happened at the ball and Ellie didn’t want to talk.

Two weeks went by and Prince Derek was still looking for the maiden who had taken his breath away. Where had she gone? The carriage stopped at a stream to water the horses and Prince Derek got out to stretch his legs. This village was rather small, but it was the last village in his kingdom. She must be here. She couldn’t have just disappeared. Prince Derek thought to himself. If the mysterious girl weren’t in this one, Prince Derek would give up. He had chosen to marry that girl or die lonely. With the horses watered, Prince Derek entered the carriage to continue his search. His father’s advisor told him there were only fourteen young women in this village. One of them had to be her.
After thirteen girls, Prince Derek was losing hope. With only one girl left, he highly doubted she was the one. He was going to just skip her and go home, but then decided against it. What if it was her? He thought. The king’s advisor knocked on the door of the dress and shoe shop. What if there was no one there? It was Sunday; the little shop could be closed. The door opened and a woman stood in the doorway. She curtsied and let the prince in. “We have heard there is a young lady living here. May we please see her?” Prince Derek asked.
“Is this regarding the ball? My daughter came home crying. I’m sorry, but I don’t think she wants to see anyone.”

Ellie heard voices downstairs. What were people doing here on Sunday when the shop was closed? Ellie went to the top of the stairs and heard her mother say, “Is this regarding the ball? My daughter came home crying. I’m sorry, but I don’t think she wants to see anyone.”
“All right. We will leave,” another voice said sounding dejected. She recognized the voice that belonged to the man she loved.
“Wait!” Ellie exclaimed hurrying down the stairs. “I will talk to him.” The prince turned and saw Ellie. A smile spread across his face.
“You!” Prince Derek ran to her and gathered her up in his arms. He had found his love at last. “Why did you cry?”
Again tears came to Ellie’s eyes. “I was sure I would never see you again." Prince Derek kissed Ellie’s tears away and carried her out to the carriage.
The royal advisor hurried after them. “What about the shoe Your Highness?”
Prince Derek set Ellie down. “Do you have the other shoe?” he asked her.
Ellie smiled. “I do. I have kept it in my pocket as a reminder of that night.” She pulled the shoe out of her pocket and slipped it on. Prince Derek knelt and slipped the other on Ellie’s other foot.
“I went all this time looking for a face without a name to put to it. What is your name?”
“How silly of her to forget to tell you her name,” Ellie’s mother said. “Her name is Elexandra.”
“Ellie,” Ellie said. “My name is Ellie.”
“Elexandra, Ellie, whatever your name is, I love you,” Prince Derek declared. Still on bended knee, Prince Derek asked for Ellie’s hand.
Ellie didn’t know what to say. Then she remembered her parents who had been her life. “Can my parents come?” Derek nodded. Ellie smiled all the more. “How can I say no to the man I love?”
Prince Derek picked Ellie up and twirled her around. “I’m not letting you out of my sight again.” Ellie ran to hug them and thank them for all they had done. “Come, Princess Ellie. We will be back tomorrow for your parents. Nothing needs to come with you unless you really want it. Is that all right?” Ellie turned to her parents, who nodded and then practically skipped back to the carriage and her prince.
Prince Derek helped Ellie into the carriage and Ellie called goodbye to her parents and see them tomorrow.

As all fairy tales end, ‘they lived happily ever after.’
© Copyright 2004 standingontheedge (gtseternity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/839435-Not-Your-Average-Cinderella-Story