*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/844344-They-Search-For-Me
by Felix
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #844344
I am constantly on the run. I do this to survive.
They search for me.

Looking at the lush landscape, tall palms, heat-baked sands you would think that this is the pinnacle of natures luxury. But underneath it all lays the stark truth.
I am constantly on the run. I go from place to place before people have time to notice my presence.
I do this to survive.
To out run the relentless spirits that pursue me across land and sea I have become a vagrant. I have no home, no place to call my own. The open air welcomes me at night. The vast expanse of territory, stretching from east to west is where I live.
I have no one to call me friend, brother or son. This is the way it has to be.
For the sake of those around me I must tread this earth alone.
I used to have a place to call my own, people who called me friend, but those days are long gone. Those precious days lie further away than the rolling horizons.
After neglecting our link to the gods and worshipping only one, the true god, vengeance came swift and brutal. From the thunder swept skies plummeted our undoing. The apocalyptic quartet repaid our debt to the heavens in blood. Harvesting the souls of my tribe, they killed everybody I had ever known in an instant. Their combined wrath sealed the fate of the tribe forever. Extinction. Only I survived.
With every passing day I run a little further. My body cannot cope with the pace. With every new step I become weaker.
My pursuers do not tire; they feed off my weakness and become stronger.
They are able to enter my weakened mind. As I sleep their echoing tones wrench me from rejuvenation. They probe my thoughts, implanting nightmares of blood, starvation and crippling disease.
I can sense that my pursuers are gaining precious ground. The hooves of their long dead steeds pound the earth in search of me.
This is why I must do what I have to do. The dancing embers of my diminishing campfire foretell all that will happen. I witness my execution over and over again.
To call halt to the endless chase I must take my own life, and end all that I began.
Only when my soul is freed from this mortal vessel shall the hunting stop. As my soul ascends to the higher plain, I will be free.
The elaborate cave of running and secrecy has sheltered me for too long.
As I emerge the sun bathes my body in its warm glow. I see the vast dessert as it winds its way to meet with the horizon. The explosive wind pelts me with sand, its screams and howls imploring me to commit my body to the other world. As I step to the precipice of my achievements the height is dizzying. I feel as if I am the eagle taking its first and perhaps ultimate flight. Will I find my wings or will I plunge to my death.
As I look down my eyes focus to see my family, with open arms, awaiting my return. Never again shall I walk alone.
By my side are my tormentors, the very people who have led me to conclude my life in this way, have found me. As soon as I walk in to the air there mission shall be over. With swords drawn they urge me to take the first steps.
As on countless others the sun has set on my time here.
As I step forward, I embrace what ever awaits me in the after life.
I am no longer a prisoner. I am free.

(AFTER READING THIS, I WOULD WELCOME ANY FEED BACK! THANK YOU)
© Copyright 2004 Felix (last_hope at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/844344-They-Search-For-Me