*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/846108-Happy-New-Year
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #846108
Jo had no plans for New Year's Eve, but her dreadful secret soon changed that...
         Jo had no plans for new years eve; she was surprised to hear the doorbell, just before midnight....And for one brief moment, she contemplated not answering it. But, what if it was Markus? What if he had discovered her dreadful secret?

         It rings again as she glances uncomfortably at the shadow cast by the pine television cabnet in front of her. She'd turned the television down a moment ago. Now muffled new years celebrations were her only company. She places the book she had barely been reading on the couch beside her. Her hands find the arm rests of her fading recliner, lifting her tired frame. Her footsteps are way too loud as she walks, and she wishes she had put her slippers on earlier.

         The doorbell rings again as Jo's hand wraps firmly around the doorknob. Her heart thumps now. And although she is aware that it may be Markus, she knows the shock her face will display. Footsteps now, and a wave of relief washes through her. It could not have been Markus, she thought. He would never give up that easily.

         She turns the doorknob, jumping as her cat meows at her feet. "Oh, shit!" she spits, pushing the cat away with her bare foot as her hand gives way to opening the door. Sudden force thrusts her backward without warning. She stumbles, catching a vague glipse of ruffled dark hair around a familiar unshaven face.

         "You bitch!" he shrieks, wrapping his hands tight around her petite neck. "You killed her! You fucking killed her!" he accuses, glaring into her bulging brown eyes.

         "Wwww...,mmmm!" she strains, behind her strangled throat.

         "Admit it! Amit you framed me!" he yells. His throat is sore now, throbbing with intense anger.

         She stumbles further, falling on her backside and ripping his grasp from her throat. Pain shoots through her tailbone as she hits. She winces with closed eyes, praying that he will disappear.

         "I can't believe you did this, Jo," he sighs, then turning away from her.

         Jo clasp's her throat, spluttering in search of air. "I..., how?" she asked, deciding that there was no denying it.

         "Your little written plan, Jo. It was in the Carrison file," he spat, spinning back around to face her.

         She couldn't believe she had been so stupid! They had worked at the firm together for years, and he had never mistrusted her, not once!

         "Your secretary asked me to pass it on to you, Jo. Your little murder plot dropped out," he barked, wiping a line of sweat from his overheated brow. "Hair from my bathroom! You broke into my house, Jo! All this because you couldn't let her have me!" He shrieks, disbelief filling his eyes.

         "I love you, Markus," she tells him timidly.

         "Love! That's not love," he retorts as sirens begin to wail in the distance. "It's time for a new years resolution, Jo. Maybe yours should be to rot in hell!" he turns and heads for the door, leaving her alone with her guilt. The sirens grow louder, suddenly turning silent as her tears begin to spill. Footsteps then, more footsteps. No desire to run.

         Jo Blackland, you're under arrest for the murder of Catherine white," the officer's words are just distant echos. Her blank eyes stare as cuff's tighten around her wrists, and screams of joy drift from her television.

         "Happy new year," she whispers vaguely.
© Copyright 2004 leajones-inkjunky (leaball at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/846108-Happy-New-Year