*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854326-In-The-Attic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dee38
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #854326
What happens to a girl named Gabby who is afraid of the dark.
“Yes, come right in” Gabby said to the man standing on the front porch of
her one story house. Gabby, a single woman in her mid 20s, was a gorgeous
girl. Tall and athletically fit, long blonde hair, big blue eyes, there was
no doubt in anyone’s mind that she could have been a model. Every girl who
knew her wanted to be her and every guy wanted to date her. Unfortunately, she was not married yet because she had not yet found the man of her dreams. So, she lived alone in the outskirts of the small town of Aurora, Oregon.
Just yesterday, Gabby had called a well-known electrician to come and install a light to shine on her driveway. She needed to have a lighted area there
because Gabby was a person who sometimes would get paranoid. She wanted to feel safe when she came in from her car, especially since lately, in her small neighborhood, there had been a few robberies. She thought it would be nice to know that she was safe and secure when she walked the small way between her car and her front door.
The grumpy looking electrician now stood in the doorway of her home. He was an older man, mid 40s or early 50s, who had a small amount of brown hair around the sides of his head but was balding at the top. His shifty eyes were a grayish-blue color and when he looked at Gabby, it made her feel uncomfortable.
“Alright Ma’am,” the electrician said, “if you’ll just show me how to get into your attic, I will be happy to install your light for you.”
“Follow me,” Gabby said. The only way to get into her attic was through her garage. Gabby showed him the way, telling him if he needed anything to just knock on the door. Then, she went back inside her house, making sure that she locked the doors when she went in, just to make sure she was safe.
About an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Gabby opened the door and was about to ask him what it was that he needed when he announced, “I’m finished, it’s totally installed.”
“Thanks for your time!” Gabby said thankfully as she handed him his check.
Then, the man walked to his car, got in and drove away.
The next night, when Gabby came home from a little get together at one of her friend’s houses, she noticed that her newly installed light was not working. So, she made herself a little note so she would remember to call the electrician again the next day so he could come and fix it.
Later, as she was getting ready for bed, Gabby heard what sounded like someone walking across her attic. She ignored the sound. “This creaky old house always makes those noises,” she assured herself, even though she was a little bit scared.
Gabby awakened the next morning to a large bang, which sounded as if someone had fallen down. “It must just be Mr. Fluffy, jumping off of the tree onto the roof.” Gabby knew that Mr. Fluffy, her rather large cat, loved to climb the tree that very close to the house and then jump to the roof where he would sleep because it was warm. But deep inside of her, she knew that something extremely odd was going on.
Ignoring her inner feeling, she went on with her day normally. The first thing that Gabby did was try to call the electrician. Unfortunately, there was no answer.
Not five minutes after she had hung up her phone, her doorbell rang. When she went to the door there was a very attractive young man, standing on her front porch.
“Can I help you?” she said, looking at him suspiciously.
“Yes, I am the electrician,” He started, “I came to put up your light.”
Gabby was confused. “Um, are you sure you’re the electrician?” She asked, staring at him. “Because I already had a man come and put the light up for me. I don’t think he did it right though because it doesn’t work at all.”
“I really am the electrician that you called. We made an appointment for today at 10 so that I could come and install it for you.” The man who stood on her front step said his words slowly, as if he also was extremely confused at the comment about the light fixture.
“Can you hold on for just a minute?” she asked as she closed the door and locked it, not even waiting for him to respond. She quickly ran to her calendar and sure enough, the appointment was at 10 AM on the correct day. By now, she was completely creeped out, wondering who the first “electrician” was. But, she quickly walked back to the door, opened it and said, “Ok, you are the right electrician. Please follow me, I will show you where you can fix my light.”
The walked to the garage and opened up the attic. They turned on the light and went up into the attic and there was the other “electrician” sitting, asleep, on a chair.
It turns out that the first “electrician” was an ex-convict who had recently escaped from a jail a few hours away from where she lived. Since she made the call to the electrician using a portable phone, he had listened in on her phone call on a baby monitor from a car that he stole from a town close to the jail. The ex-con needed a place to hide out for a few days, so when he heard her phoning the man about the electrician job, he knew that he might be able to hide in her attic for a while until the coast was clear. Unfortunately for him, he was taken to a very secure jail so that he would not be able to escape again. Or so they thought.
© Copyright 2004 Dee38 (vegitales38 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854326-In-The-Attic