*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854346-Divine-Wind---Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Gor
Rated: XGC · Chapter · History · #854346
Kobayashi meets up with Hideyoshi and his army.
Chapter 4



Omo had liberated one of Umetada’s horses before the Red Fish Inn exploded. He was waiting for Kobayashi at a more than reasonably safe distance. They rode all through the night and a good part of the next day, with Omo grabbing onto him to not fall off at the speed they were traveling. The samurai was in agony. His previously wounded shoulder ached and now he had broken toes and a cut leg that required bandages. But mostly he just needed rest.



They stopped little on the road west, mostly just for water or for Kobayashi to check on his wounds. After reaching Bitchu province he collapsed. Omo fetched water from Ashimorigawa River to splash on his face and was spotted by a scout of Hideyoshi’s army. The scout went to investigate an unconscious man and a midget. His first impression was that they were thieves who had stolen a sword and had been injured in doing so.



It was his duty to bring them to his commander for justice. The scout took the sword and hefted Kobayashi onto his horse and escorted them to a base near the besieged Takamatsu castle.



On the way Omo pleaded with the scout to let them go. He told him everything that had happened with the assassination and Akechi Mitsuhide, but the scout only took it as lies. Fortunately, his commanding officer was a little more receptive. He had been in Nobunaga’s palace in Kamakura once before he was allocated to Hideyoshi’s army. There he had seen, and would never forget, the shogun’s personal entertainment. Had Kobayashi come alone it might have been days before anyone believed his story, and by then it might have been too late.



The military officer sent Kobayashi to a monk who acted as a medic. He had yet to wake up at that point. Then he personally escorted Omo to Toyotomi Hideyoshi himself.



*******



Intense hunger hit the samurai when he awoke. Umetada didn’t give him food so he hasn’t eaten in nearly two days. He was lying on a straw mattress under a tent. His leg and shoulder had been bandaged up.



“He rises.” A voice said from a few feet away. There were five other men in the tent, Omo, Ikeda Nobateru and Mikoda Masaharu, lieutenants of Hideyoshi, and a servant bringing in food and setting it on a table near Kobayashi. There was another one too. Other than Omo he was the shortest one. He was in light armor and wore a red robe over the armor. Sitting on a cushion on the ground he held a war fan in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. His helmet on the ground next to him was designed with long metal fins that stick out and give the illusion of the sun's rays as well as making its wearer appear much taller. Deep set beady eyes belied the importance of the little man. He was the one who spoke. It was Toyotomi Hideyoshi.



“You must be hungry.” He said. “Go on and eat. Your companion has told me much.” Kobayashi rose to his feet, bowed, and nearly toppled over on his cut leg. Then he proceeded to gobble down bowls of rice, udon noodles, and fish. Kobayashi had never met Hideyoshi before. He had been carrying on this war with the Mori on behalf of Oda Nobunaga for nearly five years. Before that time Kobayashi would have training.



“We weren’t sure to believe you at first.” Mikoda said. “But to be safe scouts were doubled and we caught a messenger of Akechi Mitsuhide. He was on his way to the Mori, most likely to tell them to prepare for Umetada Masamitsu bringing you. That would have likely sealed an alliance between them.”



“However.” Interrupted Hideyoshi. “The messenger was caught, which means we have something the Mori don’t. We know Oda Nobunaga is dead, they don’t.”



Kobayashi swallowed a large amount of rice. In the time they were talking he had already finished two bowls. “What is your plan?” he barely managed to get out before wolfing down some noodles.



Hideyoshi grinned. “Takamatsu is close to falling. I cannot wage war with Akechi and the Mori. So I have gotten word to Shimizu Muneharu, the captain at Takamatsu, and have requested a meeting. Hopefully, he will surrender.”



Ikeda Nobateru jumped in. “If we have a treaty with the Mori then we march against Akechi.”



“Also, we have dispatched messages to men requesting aid.” Mikoda said. “It is likely Mitsuhide has done the same. Those men will have to make up their own minds.”



They all paused for a moment. “Akechi has an army of at least ten thousand.” Kobayashi said. “He’s counting on the Mori and he would want to secure his position as shogun as soon as possible. I wouldn’t doubt if he is already marching west from Kyoto.”



Hideyoshi and the others nodded in agreement, except for Omo, who was feeling more than a little out of place. Kobayashi watched as the one Nobunaga called Saru, meaning monkey, rose from his cushion and extended out something wrapped in fabric.



“We shall leave you to recover know.” Hideyoshi said. Kobayashi took the item from the general. Looking inside he was relieved to see it was his sword. “I believe that belongs to you.” the general said.



“Those Christians would bring foreigners to our country.” Kobayashi said. “That would be the ruin of us all.”



Hideyoshi laughed. “Not when I’m in charge.” Then they left Omo alone with Kobayashi, who offered the little man some of his rice.



*******



In the course of the siege of Takamatsu castle, Hideyoshi tried a very unique strategy. He ordered his men dam up the Ashimorigawa River and divert its flow to the castle. Being on a plain below sea level the dammed river created a lake completely around the castle. This caused both isolation for the defenders of the castle, as well as some rather horrible living conditions. In fact many have become very ill.



After the meeting with Kobayashi, Toyotomi Hideyoshi spoke directly with the commander of Takamatsu. All it took was a day of convincing to make him surrender. Shimizu Muneharu was promised that his family and all of the men at the castle would not be killed. He was an honorable man and took his own life as part of the surrender.

Kobayashi re-equipped himself with armor similar to his own black lacquered, green laced, bamboo set. And found replacements for his wakizashi, tanto, and matchlock. He even found another demon helmet among Hideyoshi’s stockpiles.



He was in this new armor and sheathed the new weapons as was everyone in Hideyoshi’s army. The Mori forces at Takamatsu were in their get up as well. Both armies watched that day as Shimizu Muneharu went into a boat in the middle of the “Takamatsu Lake” and cut into his own belly in ritual suicide. Sepukku, he slit his insides in circular fashion spilling gore all over the boat before he died. After two hundred days Takamatsu had fallen.



Toyotomi Hideyoshi then negotiated for a few days with Mori Terumoto, whose army was nearby. The Mori still had not known of Nobunaga’s death and so in his name Hideyoshi signed a treaty that essentially gave him control of lands he had mostly taken over. But more importantly it meant Hideyoshi did not have to worry about a two front war.



Kobayashi was thankful for the opportunity to rest a few days and heal. But soon came the time to confront the traitor, Akechi. Perhaps out of pride for what he had done, Toyotomi Hideyoshi paraded through the newly dry Takamatsu. Then his force of twelve thousand marched east.


© Copyright 2004 Gor (goranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854346-Divine-Wind---Chapter-4