*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/857064-Fantasy-Adventure-Tale
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #857064
A grandmother lets her daughter tell a bedtime story.
Written for
FORUM
The Writer's Cramp  (13+)
Write the best story or poem in 24 hours or less and win 10K GPs!
#333655 by Sophy


The New Prompt is:
Write a Fantasy story including these elements...

A rainbow colored dragon, a Knight in rusted armor, a toothache and a lovely, stuck-up princess.


“Once long ago, in a far, far away land there lived a very lovely princess.”

“Maw-Maw?”

“Yes, honey?”

“Where is the far, far away land?” My ever-inquisitive seven-year-old granddaughter asked in her soft, sweet as sugar voice.

“We can imagine it to be anywhere we want it to be.” While I was waiting for what I considered to be an obligatory response to my question I noticed that my granddaughter was fidgeting between the sheets.

“Don’t you want me to read to you, child?” I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that she was not exactly enthusiastic about the idea of having me read to her. Actually, I have realized for years that children today are nothing like my generation when we were children.

“Okay, grandma, if you want to.” She said sheepishly.

“Well, of course I want to, now lets see… where was I. In this far, far away land the lovely princess lived in a very big stone castle.”

“Maw-Maw?”

“Yes, sweetheart?” I answered while thinking that my bedtime story idea was obviously just another one of my delusions.

“What color was the castle?”

“I have an idea child. Let me crawl into bed with you, and you read me a story.”

“Maw-Maw, you know that I can’t read.” Devin said giggling.

“We can pretend that you can read.” I said as I snuggled into bed next to my granddaughter. And I whispered as I handed her the oversized yet thin storybook, “I promise that I will not interrupt you either.”

Devin began her story and I listened, “My friend Nancy had a toothache and her mother took her to the dentist. Since we had a sleep over at Nancy’s house the night before, I went with Nancy to her dentist appointment.”

Devin then dutifully turned the page. The page caught on the sheets and I grimaced as I heard a horrid tearing sound. I said nothing, and my granddaughter continued.

“In the dentist office there was a huge metal Knight, and he was taller than my daddy. My daddy is at least ten foot tall. The Knight’s armor did not shine. It was rusty and brown. Nancy and I went over to get a closer look, and just as Nancy’s mother was telling us to be careful, the nurse was calling Nancy’s name, suddenly more people were entering the office, and we were just trying to get out of the way… and we knocked the knight in rusty armor over.

Nancy’s mother looked horrified.

The nurse started telling her not to worry. Nancy and I were hurriedly trying to put the Knight back together again. We just knew we were in big trouble, just then Nancy picked up one of the Knight’s legs and a bright red glass object fell out of the Knight’s rusty leg armor, and rolled under the sofa. Amazingly, none of the adults noticed. Nancy’s mother took Nancy by the hand and led her in to see the dentist, and I was told to take a seat. The nurse came and stacked all the remaining pieces of the Knight in the corner, and commented that she would get him back together later.

Shortly, I was in the waiting room alone. I quickly got on my hands and knees and started reaching for the bright red glass. As my fingers just barely grasped it I felt someone swat me on my backside. “Get up from there.” It was Nancy’s mother. I jumped up as quickly as humanly possible, and sat on my hand with that lump or red glass in it. For the next few minutes, I was not a happy camper.

Our parents made us wait till the next weekend before we could go anywhere. Then we all had a sleep over at Sadie’s. I brought the red stone. That night when Sadie’s parents thought we were all sound asleep, we were all sitting in a circle on Sadie’s bed. The three of us were all holding it, and then Nancy said she wished that she knew where the stone came from… Whoosh…

Suddenly we were transported through time and space. We were standing in a huge room. Burning torches dimly lighted the room. We walked over to the massive floor to ceiling windows, and looked out. There were no city lights; there was no city. A young woman entered the room, and we must have surprised her by being there, “What are you doing here, and what manner of attire is that that you are wearing?”

“We don’t know, and boxers and tank tops, duh. Who are you?”

“I am Princess Megan.” She was quite lovely, but so apparently stuck-up. “My father will feed you to our dragons for invading my bedchambers.” And with that she pulled some kind of fancy thick cloth rope type cord hanging from the ceiling, we could hear bells ringing, and suddenly a whole bunch of real men in shinning armor burst through the doors.

We were thrown in a wagon filled with hay, pulled by cow looking animals, and hauled out to the middle of a big field, put into a fenced pen that really would not keep a cow penned in much less a human being, and told to stay.

Within minutes the sky was filled with large winged bird-like creatures, whose bodies glowed and changed colors like a rainbow every few seconds.

“Why are we here? Why is this happening?” Sadie asked as she was beginning to lose it.

“Where is that red glass stone?” Nancy asked, never taking her eyes off of the sky filled with what could only be too many rainbow colored dragons to count.

We stood in a circle, we all grasp the red glass stone, and Nancy said out loud that she wished that we all could just go home… Whoosh…

Suddenly, there I was in my own room in my own house. I called Nancy and Sadie. They were each at their own homes, too.

At breakfast the next morning I explained to my parents, just like Nancy and Sadie and I had all agreed, that we had all just gotten home sick. Parents really are too easily fooled by us, sometimes.

We decided not to play with the red glass stone again for a while.”

“Maw-Maw?”

“Maw-Maw?”

Devin let the storybook slip to the floor; she turned off the light, and snuggled up to me hopefully to go to sleep. I was not about to let her know that I was wide-awake; I was afraid that neither of us would ever get any sleep.





© Copyright 2004 The Critic (thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/857064-Fantasy-Adventure-Tale