*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/859340-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #859340
A continent is thrown into chaos when one kingdom attacks another.
This chapter needs some work, but i am too busy making other chapters to fix it. Personally I dont like how the opening sequence goes...

Because of the space restrictions, the rest of the story is here:
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/libr/g/r/grim4593/grim4593.html

Chapter 1
Tani was running through the woods as fast as her legs could travel. Her slender agile body slid between the trees with gracefulness. Normally she ran just for the thrill, but today she was late. A crooked gnarled branch shot out and grabbed her leg. She tripped and fell forward past the tree line onto a well-used road. The trail of crushed rocks led down the hill to a green clearing. Slowing down to catch her breath she looked at the valley below her, taking in the view of the magnificent Market City of Trill.
The huge city lay in front of the Targa’s Mountain range. Two layers of stone walls surrounded it. The thicker outer walls were outfitted with battlement towers and soldiers. A bright crystal blue river ran through the two halves of the crowded city. It crossed Trill diagonally and many bridges spanned across. Farther downstream, just east of the city, lie an equally crystal blue lake. At this time of day it was covered with fishing boats.
The inner city was protected by another layer of thick stone walls, enclosing the area that was patrolled by the local knights. They protected the residential lifeblood of the rich city. Its poor were sometimes richer than other cities' nobles were. Between the inner and outer walls were hundreds of travelers and merchants. Vendors were everywhere, trying to sell anything that could ever be wanted.
After recovering from her fall, Tani started to run down the hill to the eastern outer gates. The guard recognized her and she were promptly admitted with a smile, while the rest of people waited in line. She began to walk past the merchants towards the secondary guarded gates of the residential inner city. Halfway to the gates her twin brother Brice ran up beside her. From the looks of it, several soldiers were following close behind. Their young years were behind them and they slowed to catch their breath.
When the twins disappeared out of sight Brice grabbed Tani’s hand and pulled her between two of the market stalls. Running down a short alley, they arrived at the next row of vendors and hid next to the fortress wall.
“What did you do this time?” asked Tani in a harsh voice, “did you get into another fight with Fenir?” Fenir was Tani’s sweetheart, until they fought.
“No, I haven’t seen much of him since I almost broke his nose,” he laughed breathlessly, “lucky for him, after what he said about you.” The fight had been short because Fenir was a coward and went down with one good blow to the face, red blood pouring from his nose. Brice was strong for a fifteen-year old, but lacked finesse.
“No offence, but dealing with my ex-boyfriend is my problem,” snapped Tani, “I don’t need you fighting with him because he said bad things about me. How am I supposed to face him after you roughed him up?” She looked around the corner to see two soldiers searching row by row. “What the hell did you do? They still haven’t given up yet.”
“I, um, kinda stole a piece of jewelry from a magic shop. I didn’t really mean to, but the merchant was selling it for such a high price, and said it was some kind of magical artifact. A noble just asked to see it, and I snatched it and ran off, the guy had no brains. Anyway, the soldiers were on me as soon as I started to run, then I saw you. I was hoping to give it to Alice.” replied Brice with a slight reddening of his cheeks. Alice was a charming barmaid at a tavern near where they lived.
“You stole jewelry! One of these days you are going to get caught and nobody will ever see you again. Why would you give it to Alice, she’s twenty and you are fifteen. You can be so immature sometimes,” exclaimed Tani rolling her eyes. Thinking better of her comment she added,” How much was it selling for?”
“1500 Copper.” He replied hastily. 1500 Copper was a lot of money.
“1500… Damn, lets get out of here before they find and beat you to death,” Tani looked around the corner not seeing any soldiers and nodded for him to follow her.
She ran past several more booths until they were a hundred or so feet from the northeastern inner gate. They walked to a small hole in the ground behind a thick cover of bushes.
Tani was remembering when her and her brother were younger. They used to sneak out through this passageway to explore the marketplace. Then one day they ran into their guardian, Mrs. Patti, outside the gates. Both of them got whipped so badly that they never left again until they were older. Tani lifted the worn wooden cover with a smirk and climbed down the ladder into a dank crawl space. Her twin followed slowly trying to hide his claustrophobia. They traveled underground until they reached the other side of the wall, then ascended into the back room of a butcher shop.
Tani saw the butcher’s wife and said hello to her.
“Hello Tani,” greeted the butcher’s wife, “It’s been years since you used our passageway.” She knew that the twins used to use the passageway, but now she used it for her own ends.
Tani showed a warm smile, and explained her story to the old friend of their late parents, “Well, we haven’t needed it as we got older, until my brother got himself into trouble again. Ouch, why did you do that for?” whined Tani as Brice elbowed her in the ribs.
The butchers wife let out a tired chuckle, “Yes Brice, I’ve heard about you from your guardian, Patti. You better learn to behave before you dig yourself into an early grave. Mischief will eventually catch up with you. We don’t want to hear that you’ve been killed or anything.” She looked at her husband who was busy cutting meat. He looked up and grunted. “Well, this old woman must really get back to work. The city has gotten bigger over the years and its getting harder to keep up with the labor. It’s been a fertile year, and now its time for the harvest feast. Nice seeing you two again.” She went back to her work putting fresh cut meat onto the display carts.
They left the butcher shop and began to travel to the Fire’s Keep Inn, where they now lived.
Brice took out the pin, “I doubt it has any magical properties, its so small. Look at all of the gems on the front. Damn, look at all the rubies! It would probably be worth about 1500 Copper.” He handed it to Tani.
The pin was half as wide as her small hand. It had at least fifty small rubies fixed into a silver 5 star-shaped base. On the back was a pin that allowed it to be attached to clothes. As Tani looked closer she noticed an inscription in some unrecognizable language on the back. She gave it back to him. “If you sold it for half that we could afford to live in a large house. So what are you going to do with it?”
“I’ll might sell it eventually, but I think I want to hang onto it. Just look at the way it glimmers red in the sun,” he said in daze, transfixed, eyes crossed looking at the large ruby centerpiece.
“Quit dreaming and put that away before someone notices, and steals it from you.” Tani suggested sarcastically.
He put it away. “So why were you running so fast? Where were you anyway? You wouldn’t run if you didn’t have a good reason.” Hinted her twin brother.
She thought back to the cave. Everybody knew that most boys couldn’t afford getting an education, especially a boy from a poor family. A girl couldn’t even imagine getting schooling. The wealthy boys went to school only until they were old enough to work, and then they could join the academy to learn about the art of combat. Many such things were forbidden to girls. She was from a poor family, and both her parents’ dead. Patti, her guardian, Brice, and herself barely made enough money to live in the inn and have food on the table. Nevertheless she had learned to read.
Tani spent some of her free time reading in a nearby hidden cave. It was the only place she could hide the books. She had an older friend that worked at the Library of Trill, and had him borrow them for her on occasion. Other books she snatched from unsuspecting merchants as she did errands for her guardian. She was getting better at distracting vendors, then sneaking items with a mask of young girl innocence. Patti might be furious at her if she found out, others would laugh and punish her. That is why she read in her cave; that is why she kept such things secret. Tani was wondering how to misdirect him, and then the realization came to her why she actually was running towards town.
“Damn it, I’m late for work!” She yelled and left her startled twin brother, running towards the Blue Night Tavern.
* * *
On the other side of town near the west gate, a group of people approached the city; apparently just coming across the Targa’s Mountain pass leading into the heart of the valley. They appeared to confer together, then began to tiredly walk toward the gates. After waiting in line they were admitted. They split up: three warriors went to a blacksmith’s shop to repair their weapons, two people in cloaks went to shops with magic-wares, and one warrior went looking for a large inn to house their group.
This large warrior covered with plate mail walked into the Fire’s Keep Inn. He sported a colossal giant maul that had an unreal silvery/blue shimmer. It was magical and struck with the force of lightning, somehow never needing repair, never taking a dent. Some of the other patrons seated at tables mumbled to each other. The warrior swaggered toward the front desk, and looked down at the attendant.
The young bookkeeper had to look up to meet the warrior’s gaze, even though he was sitting on an elevated stool. He stammered, “May I, May I help you?”
The warrior replied in a soothing gentle voice, “Yes, do you have rooms to fit a party of six? I have money.”
Expecting a raspy tenor normally associated with strong warriors; he was shocked at the politeness of this man. “We have several open rooms on our second floor. If you will just give me your name.” He looked expectantly waiting to write it in the guest-book.
He answered, “Cabor Hanitar. I’ll get the rest of my party.” He looked at the price and back at the bookkeeper with a wink, “I expect the beds to be made.” The warrior fumbled in his pockets and took out two Steel coins. Cabor put one on the wood desk. The bookkeeper nodded swiftly pocketing the coin as the warrior left the inn. He turned towards the stairs to earn his gratuity. Cabor left the inn, flipping the remaining coin over and over.
* * *
Outside in the marketplace the other warriors exited the blacksmith’s shop. They looked naked without their weapons. Walking to the center of a long grass covered courtyard, to a pool of water, where the Cabor from the inn was waiting. He sat flipping a coin.
“Our weapons are being mended, and we can pick them up tomorrow.” said the apparent leader. Cedric wasn’t as tall as Cabor, so people weren’t oppressed in his presence. People listened to him and learned to trust his judgement, because he had an air of knowledge and others didn’t want the burden of decision making. “Did you find a place we could stay for a few nights?”
“Yes, I paid for 3 rooms at the inn down the street. It is only a couple coppers a night for all of us. Where did the mages get off to?”
“They went to restock some of their magic supplies. We should keep closer tabs on them. I still don’t trust them; even after all we’ve been through together, these mages keep too many secrets,” said the knight Slade. He never trusted magic-users; they were always hiding things, and didn’t give a straight answer. Most of the Knights of the Dynasty have a prejudice against them because their knights only understand the life earned with a sword, magic was just an extensive trick.
The other knight Nara looked at him. She had a rough beauty under all that armor and muscle. A bright red strand of hair hung down the side of her face, the rest of her hair being a contrasting black. “Why doesn’t your knighthood of the dynasty honor magic-users as they honor everything else. You would think that they suffer enough through their powers.” She belonged to the Knights of the Sky, which were more open to the ways of the world. They even allowed women in their ranks, on very rare occasions. “How can you say bad things about Lucia, she is a blue magi? She saves more lives then she takes, which I cannot say about most warriors.”
“Ha! She is hardly a warrior. Your knights of the sky are too trusting to know what’s good for you! Wouldn’t even realize that you’ve been back-stabbed until you were dead,” countered Slade.
“These are our friends you are talking about. They have saved your life as many times as you have saved theirs. I for one trust them,” interjected Cedric. He glared at Slade. He was silenced. After a few more minutes of waiting, the two mages came over to the fountain.
Covered with a red cloak, the sorcerer clearly showed his disposition to the world. Juthus stayed clear of the darkness of the black mages, and kept a cool sense of neutrality. He was only wearing one magic artifact: a slim gold ring with a central emerald gem. He put his pack on the ground, and took a seat by the waters edge. He was out of breath because of the weakness brought upon him by a magical sickness he had as a child.
The other mage had a blue hood and cape. She sat on the short ledge next to Juthus. Just Lucia’s presence cheered her comrades. The sapphire jewel pendant around her neck radiated a refreshing peaceful feeling as well. Her powers granted her the power to protect and heal, but there was nothing she could do to help the red mage. His wasting body was the effect of the destructive curse of a black mage. Somehow she and Juthus became unlikely friends even though they used opposite forces of magic, probably because they understood each other’s hardships.
“Now that we are all here we can go to the inn that Cabor found for us. Its getting dark and we have traveled far through the mountains today. Let us rest for now,” told Cedric.
Cabor flipped his coin high into the air for the final time. The coin entered the water as the group left toward the inn. Finally hitting the bottom of the shallow pool, the coin rested tails up, swallowed by the reflection of the setting sun. A peasant would find it the next day.
Off to the west the sun had begun to set behind the clouds, giving off a pink and red light that came through the mountain pass and spread across the city. The streets were now thinning out, and the group had no trouble getting to the Fire’s Keep Inn. They went to their rooms and slept soundly in their tended beds, for they were now in friendly lands.
* * *
Beyond the Targa’s Mountains lay a command tent, with a disgruntled overseer waiting inside. He had been waiting here for a little over a day. Waiting for his orders to proceed with the attack. Walking over to the front of the large tent, the magistrate went outside marveling at the size of his army. He commanded five hundred cavalrymen, two legions from the knighthood of the mystics, and masses of siege weapons, not to mention thousands of foot soldiers. He had an army prepared to go to battle. It would be an easy battle, and the riches of the city would please his superiors. But, he was still waiting on the mountain pass for his orders to attack Trill.
In the distance a lone rider on horseback rounded a hill, illuminated by red glow of the setting sun. He came from the west. The overseer turned back and went back into the tent. He knew the rider would report back on his status, so he got out several of his maps of the area and acted like he was studying them intensely. In actuality he had his plans ready since he got to this miserable mountain pass, he was just making a show.
After waiting for a few minutes his second in command walked in with the messenger. “Overseer Kaku I present to you Lieutenant Salat.” Salat made a brief bow. He was covered with ordinary light clothing preferred by messengers, only the silver claw and stripes on his right shoulder gave away his high level of importance.
The overseer bowed at the sight of the claw, “Leave us Marshall. Please have a seat Lieutenant,” Kaku motioned to a cushioned chair in front of the table. He took his seat on the other side. He sat in an oversized chair to tower over his guests. As soon as his second in command left he asked, “What is the news from the High Council?”
“Sir, they have had a meeting, and agreed when to start the war. They asked for me to give this to you.” He handed him an envelope closed with the Seal of the Mystic Council.
The note gave orders that told him the specifics of the war, and what his part in it would be. He glanced through most of it until he found what he was looking for:

‘You have been granted the permission to attack Trill, and take command of the city until further orders of war are given. Half of the treasury is expected to be sent to headquarters, and the stronger of the resisting captives sent to the labor camps. Leave the citizens alone; they provide the cities wealth. Do not fail.’

“I have been granted permission to attack Trill. Is there anything else?” The Lieutenant shook his head, “Then I thank you Lieutenant.” He showed him out of the tent and made sure he and his horse were treated with food and rest. He would stay until the battle was over, then return to his superiors with the news of the events. Overseer Kaku came up to his second in command waiting near the entrance outside. “Follow me.”
They entered the command tent, and Kaku let him read the orders. “Finally we can attack. Victory will be ours,” the commander declared heading back to his desk.
“We will wait until dawn to march toward the city. It will only take us a day and a half from here,” he shuffled through some papers, “According to these reports, the city garrison only has about two hundred knights: and most are in training or have never been in a battle. Ha! I bet that they have at least a few thousand trained men. The hardest part will be getting past the defensive spire on the other side of this pass. Still, we will have few causalities.” Laughed the overseer.
“Your right, but we should still be careful. How do you plan to capture the city without destroying it, and then convince the merchants to return to the subjugated city,” smiled Marshall.
The overseer laughed again, “I have my plans. Lets inform the unit captains to prepare their troops for tomorrows early march.” He proceeded to tell his second in command his plan.
* * *

Because of the space restrictions, the rest of the story is here:
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/libr/g/r/grim4593/grim4593.html
© Copyright 2004 grim4593 (grim4593 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/859340-Chapter-1