*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/861877-Lost-Kingdoms-Chapters-3-and-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #861877
One will stand for ambition, one for law, and one for righteosness
due to size limitations, these will be the last chapters of Lost Kingdoms I post but I still am about to write others. E-mail me if you want updates as I write them

Lost Kingdoms
Chapter Three
Children of War
The Majin Six
War. Such an interesting subject, and one filled with such sorrow. On the surface is bloodshed and carnage. Men-and sometimes women-running around killing each other. Only if that is all, then there is nothing to be interested in. Dogs and cats also kill each other-for territory, for dominance, and for food. So, then what makes war so different? What makes it so sad?
His name is Suun Li. His first fight was at the age of seven- no this wasn’t a simple skirmish that children have to build muscles and skill-this was a true life-or-death struggle. It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say he was born on the battlefield. He could kill a man with one swing, light fire to a house, spread salt on a field; all with the ease of any craftsmen. Indeed, murder had become an art form, death was as natural to him as the blood that pumped through his veins. Those that fight in wars are called soldiers, fighters, and warriors; but none truly defined him. No, if there was a word to describe him it would be “child.” His name was Suun Li, and he is why war is so sad.

“Weak!” Suun yelled as he cut down five more Zion soldiers. “You people are going to have to fight a little harder. I’m getting bored.”
“Five with one strike,” one of them gasped as he stumbled back. “W-what are you?”
“Not that you’ll be alive long enough to care either way,” Suun grinned. “Don’t worry, I hear the netherworld is wonderful this time of year.”
Suun shifted the hilt in his hand so that the blade now ran parallel to the outside of his arm. He then jumped up before spinning in a barrel-roll, the pressure kicking up earth before slicing through the remaining soldiers. “But since you insist, Suun.”
“That makes 24 for me,” Suun made a mental note. “I promised I’d kill at least 40 before the day is over. Better get busy. I hope to at least get at least double that.”

“L-lord Dun,” the messenger reported. “News from the front line, my lord.”
“Yes, what is it?” Dun snapped.
“W-well my lord,” the messenger stumbled. “Its bad. I’ve heard news that our advance force, the one from the west.”
“Yes?”
“They,” the messenger sucked in a breath, as if the amount of air in his lungs had a correlation with his courage. “They’re all dead.”
“They are?”
“Yes,” then remembering. “My lord.”
“Unfortunate. Send word to Lord Yuan that his plan was foiled and to prepare a new one.”
“But my lord! They were repelled by,” another pause. “A single warrior.”
“Oh?” now Dun was interested.
“An eight-foot tall ogre. With skin as hard as a rock and as red as blood.”
“And they want me to kill this monster, am I right?”
“Y-yes, Lord Dun.”
“Well,” Dun smiled to himself. “At last, a real challenge! Now watch as Dun Fei the Sword Saint does his work!”

“You’d think that it would be easy to find an eight-foot tall ogre. I mean, how hard could it be?” Dun asked himself as he continued to walk along an eerily calm path. “Its not like there’s any place to hide.”
“Hey there,” someone called out. “Dangerous men around here. Wouldn’t wander around with your head in the clouds. Just might die.”
Dun looked at the person addressing him. He was a young man with straight black hair, black eyes, and light brown skin. There was a large metal sheath propped up next to where he sat but nothing else stood out. “Looking for anything, my lord?”
What the heck Dun thought. Its not like I have anything better to do. “You haven’t happened to see any eight-foot tall ogres with skin as hard as a rock and as red as blood?”
“An eight-foot tall ogre with skin as hard as a rock and as red as blood?” the boy stood up before bursting out laughing. “That’s a new one! Last time I was a ten-foot tall Tengu and before that I was a twelve-foot tall giant with four arms!”
“So you mean, you are,” Dun was dumbfounded. He got another good look at the boy. He was rather short-less then five feet tall-and thin. A simple black shirt and pants made up his clothes. Simply put, he went completely against how Dun pictured a demon to look. “Him?”
“Figured it out didn’t you?” he asked as he drew his sword. “Lucky me, people stopped coming after 99. I was afraid I wouldn’t get 100 kills.”
“May I ask your name?”
“Why do people always ask that?” the boy sighed. “Its not like knowing will really do anything. Oh well, why do you ask?”
“I’d like to know the name of the one I kill.”
“Confident, aren’t we? Well if you insist, Suun.”
With that the fight began. Dun cursed as Suun did a mid-air flip over him, slicing into his chest. He didn’t have any time to recover as Suun slid back on one foot before dashing forward, little more then a black blur.
The next few seconds were spent in a blur as Dun struggled to block and dodge each lightning-fast attack. There was no time to attack, no time to think about offense, heck there wasn’t even time to blink. Moving at the speed he was, a slip up-even for a tiny fraction of a second-could be fatal, and Dun knew that was just the instant that Suun was waiting for.
“This is fun,” Suun said as he jumped back a few feet. “I’ve fought people from all corners of the continent and I must say that you are by far the best. To show my gratitude, I will give you the honor of seeing one of my new techniques.”
Dun’s eyes widened as Suun then seemed to disappear completely from his vision. He blinked a few times but the other man was still gone. “Don’t bother,” a voice teased. “Here it comes!”
It was like a thunder bolt had struck. A pressure on Dun’s shoulder and then he was down. There were no cuts, no visible wounds. Did Suun strike with the back of his sword?
“An attack that channels force directly into the intended target,” Suun tossed his sword into the air before letting it fall into its waiting sheath. “I’ve never actually used it on a human so please tell me exactly how it feels. Remember, I’m going to write this down so please be totally honest.”
A long moan was all that was heard as Suun continued. “I’ll take that as ‘excruciating pain’” Another moan. “Why am I letting you live? My dear Dun Fei, you aren’t done yet.”
A third moan. “Well, that’s very rude of you, Lord Fei. I only targeted your pressure points and killed almost a hundred of your men. You make it sound like I did something bad,” another mumble, this one softer. “I suppose you won’t stop bugging me so I’ll tell you. Remember that man, Henon, that you met a while ago and told you how to strike at Jin? He actually worked for me. So then you followed us like the little lemmings that you are, merrily following us to your doom. That’s right, Lord Fei, you’ve been serving us the whole time.”
“And there’s more. The chaos you stirred up makes the perfect distraction to sneak an “agent” into the palace. What’s more, a death in battle is to be expected for old soldiers like Zhou Yin so I’ll take care of them as well. If all this were to happen at once, there would naturally be a huge uproar, but because of your little rebellion I have the perfect cover. But take heart! You are indeed leading the fall of Jin but the new dynasty will be not yours.”
“Suun Li,” Dun managed to cough out after the man had left. “He’s a devil!”

“Welcome, my lord,” Geroma greeted. “We’ve been waiting.”
An awkward silence pervaded after Geroma finished his comment. “Guess I better get to work then.”
“Don’t tell me that you’re hesitating,” Hanya grinned from beneath his bandages. “All this time and you pick now to get nervous.”
“You know me better then that,” Suun faked being offended. “It’s just sad when you think about it. 500 years and all to collapse in a matter of days.”
“Let us observe a moment of silence,” Jingzhou said.
For the next few moments, no sound was heard. Not even the sound of insects or birds broke through the calm, as if even they were too frightened to alert the six to their presence.
“I gave you three,” Suun spoke, shattering the silence. “Do you know that the average soldier killed by me is only mourned for a few milliseconds before I continue killing? I’d be flattered.”
“Well, shall we begin then?”

Lost Kingdoms
Chapter Four
End to an Era
Death, its one of the things that all men share. From the mightiest lord to the lowliest peasant all men must one day meet it. In this way, death is also one of the few things in this world that could be seen as entirely fair.
Death comes to everyone so why run away? You cannot hide from it, nor can you flee. How futile is such an action and if you spend all your life scared of death then have you really lived at all? Rather, it is when you accept death that you truly begin to live.

“Suun Li,” Dun Fei fingered the bandages that he had wrapped across his chest to help relieve some of the pain from his last fight. “Damn him. Playing us as fools, using us like puppets. Who does he think he is?”
“Lord Dun,” a messenger bowed as he came into the tent. “You wished to see me?”
“Go on,” Dun snapped, not even taking his eyes off his wounds.
“Well, sir,” the man said. “General Suun Li and Prince Karnishu have just staged a coup. We don’t know anything else right now, my lord, we-“
“You don’t, do you?” Dun picked up a plate before throwing it in a fury at the ground, shattering it into pieces at the startled messengers feet. “I already know what Suun did! I want to know what Suun and the Jin forces are doing right now!”
“But L-lord Dun,” he stumbled. “Your brother, Lord Yuan Fei, said.”
“He said what?”
“He said. He said.”
“Perhaps you don’t understand,” Dun’s voice became deathly quiet. “You don’t really believe that Yuan can protect you now, do you? I could kill you just as easily as I broke that plate. It’s in your best interest to tell me everything you know.”
“B-but, what about Lord Yuan?” an audible swallow was heard. “A large force was seen leaving the Jin capitol led by Prince Kaagin a few days ago. Another army led by General Kang Rong could be seen. Spies have reported that Kang Rong’s forces are in pursuit of Prince Kaagin. The flag that Kang Rong flies indicates that he serves,” another gulp. “General that Inspires Terror, Lord Suun Li. It was also reported that Suun should meet up with Kong Rang shortly.”
“Suun Li,” Dun instantly brightened at the news. “Excellent! Ready the troops.”
“Unfortunately, my lord, most of the soldiers are still tired and weary. Of them only those under Lord Fei Rang and Lady Xioa Ren are prepared. A battle right now would be-“
“Suun Li humiliated me!” Dun snapped. “Such an insult will not be tolerated! Ready Lord Fei and Lady Xioa!”
With that command, Dun stormed out of the tent; intent on avenging his last defeat. “I’m dead,” the messenger sighed. Lord Yuan would not be happy about this.

It had been only three days since the reported deaths of Field Marshal Zhou Yin and the officers under him. Shortly afterwards, Karnishu had begun his coup d'état, launching his own assault against the dynasty. Sure, a few had fought bravely against Karnishu but to Kaagin’s dismay much of the palace officials were already prepared to offer their allegiance to his younger brother. Those that had stood up in protest were quickly swept aside by Karnishu’s fearsome general, Suun Li, and his followers.
Kaagin and the surviving officials, officers, and a minority of the populace that had remained loyal had managed to flee the capital in the resulting chaos. Now he and some of his advisors sat in a tent, discussing over what his next move should be. In addition to the rather pale and sickly-looking prince, were Baz Crin and Takeda Conron. Baz was a rather tall man but also very skinny, this along with his other rather diminutive features led to some to say he looked like a mouse. Takeda was more imposing, a rather stout older man with strong features and intelligent eyes; he commanded respect as both a skilled strategist and fierce fighter.
“How long can we keep moving like this?” Baz Crin asked. “Suun Li and his army are probably in pursuit as we speak.”
“Suun Li can’t be underestimated,” Takeda Konron agreed. “He’s a very dangerous man. We had best get away from here now.”
“Suun Li is a dangerous man,” Prince Kaagin agreed. “But what would you have me do? Surrender? Flee? We’ve been doing enough of that already?”
“Unfortunately,” Takeda replied. “Fleeing is the best course that you can take now. If Suun Li finds you here-“
“And then what?” Kaagin fumed momentarily. The other advisors and officers seemed shocked by this outburst, seeing this; Kaagin calmed down a little and took his seat. “And if Suun does come then what? Abandon my people and flee like some dog? Imbeciles! I am Prince Kaagin, no Emperor Kaagin of the might Jin dynasty! I will not be defeated by some common…..rat like Suun Li!”
“Rat he may be,” Takeda agreed. “But a powerful one. Our first task should be to escape Suun Li and his pursuing forces. I’ve sent word to Lord Michihiro at the Imagon Province that we’re heading in his direction and to have a ship ready. Retreating-“
“Retreating?” an officer asked as he calmly strode in. His name was Katangiri Karn, a giant of a man and one of the captains of the Imperial Royal Guards at the palace (he was not at the palace during Geroma’s attack because he had been tricked into investigating murders of other Royal Guards at the time, also work of Geroma) He stood at almost six and a half feet tall and wore a large mantle of tiger skin lined with wolf fur-a trophy he had made to show off his enormous strength-marking him as an incredible, if unrefined, powerhouse. “That doesn’t sound like you, Takeda. Does the tiger fear the ant?”
“Even the tiger knows when to show respect, Katangiri,” Takeda scolded. “Karnishu’s no genius, whoever helped make up this plan had to be a strategist of some skill, and I find it hard to believe that such a plan wouldn’t take us into account. What’s more the enemy army is said to be numbering over 10,000 men.”
“And that scares us?” Katangiri demanded. “Suun Li is nothing! We’ll bring him to his knees! He’s far from a match for you, Takeda, much less all of us. Let him come. Let them all come. I’ll crush each and every one of them with my bare hands.”
Without warning, Katangiri slammed a massive fist onto the wooden table, breaking it effortlessly. “Savage brute!” Baz spat out before getting up from his seat to avoid the flying splinters.
“Just like that,” Katangiri said as he admired his handiwork. “Just like that.”

The army was actually made up of 10,003 people. 10,000 soldiers and 3 officers; Zorashin, Hamaru, and Kang Rong, making the army precisely 10,0001 men and 2 woman.
“Movement has been reported in the enemy camp,” the spy bowed down low before giving his report. “It would seem that they’re going to try and fight.”
“Fight or flee it’s their choice,” Zorashin grinned. “Either way, this should be most amusing.”
The spy looked up at the person he was facing. She was known as Zorashin, appointed personally by General Suun Li himself, she was the first female officer in the history of the land. Not that you would know that she was a women judging from the dark purple battle gown and her cruel, cold features. An expression that seemed to fit better on a man then one of the “fairer sex.” “But I thought the plan was to wait for Lord Suun, my lady.”
“I do so hate the term ‘Lady’” Zorashin said lazily. “From now on, you are to address me as ‘Lord Zorashin’”
“Excuse me?”
“You are to address me as ‘Lord Zorashin’ from now on. Calling me ‘Lady’ from now on is strictly prohibited. Do you understand?”
“Yes, La-err, Lord Zorashin.”
“Good,” Zorashin said. “Many feel a woman is not fit to command. Well, I’ll show them that sex is insignificant on the battlefield. Send word to all forces, come morning, we return with Kaagin’s head.”
The spy bowed low again and then was off. “Yes,” Zorashin mused to herself. “I will show them. Prove Zhou Yin and the others wrong. I’ll even show you, father.”





© Copyright 2004 SuunYunLi (knuckleheadiv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/861877-Lost-Kingdoms-Chapters-3-and-4