*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/864271-Hidden-Fire-section-3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #864271
Third section of my romantic fantasy story.
Misty trailed along behind the footman until he stopped and waved her into a small room. He entered behind her and placed her small bundle of possessions on the bed.

"You may remain here, miss." He bowed and left the room.

Misty smiled and sank down on the bed. She sighed at the luxurious softness of the down-filled mattress and went limp. The events of the day spun through her mind as her eyes began to droop.

A sudden knock on the door jolted her out of her half-sleep.

"Misty? Hurry and let me in! I've GOT to talk to you!"

Misty jumped up and threw open the door. Her best friend stood there, her merry brown eyes dancing with laughter, her long, straight brown hair caught back in a kerchief. Kris wrapped her in an impulsive hug.

"Oh, I saw what happened. It was just TOO exciting! He just appeared like that and swept you away from Gorlick. He was soooo handsome and the magic and all.. I just begged Momma to let me off work to come see you!" Kris' words tumbled out. "Of course, I am under strict orders to report everything you tell me. The kitchen is buzzing with gossip, and it is all about YOU!"

"Oh Kris, he was amazing, wasn't he? And the look on Gorlick's face when he shot that magic bolt at him! He took off like a scared rabbit!"

"Yeah, that was priceless! So what is he like, the mysterious Archmage? Is he going to sweep you off to his tower and have his wicked way with you?" Kris teased.

Suddenly serious, Misty sat back down on the edge of the bed. "Honestly I don't know what he is going to do with me. I don't think he planned this. He seems kind enough, but, oh Kris, I am so afraid. This is so far outside of my plans. I don't know anything about mages!"

Kris sank down beside her, matching her friend's mood. "You worry too much, Misty. He must have a kind heart, or he would never have saved you from Gorlick." She sighed. "And I was just being silly, you know. You are probably in for a very unromantic seven years of scrubbing floors in his tower. But," she giggled, unable to stay serious for long, "you will have someone very fine to look at while you are scrubbing his floors!"

Misty giggled too, caught up in her friend's infectious mood. "He is handsome! Something to dream about while I stand in his scullery up to my elbows in his greasy dishes."

Kris jumped up, still laughing. "Speaking of greasy dishes, they are waiting for me. And I better get back to momma with my report!"

She paused by the door. "And try not to worry too much, Misty! It is only seven years. You can leave after that and come back home! Momma will always hold a spot for you here. So see, our plans are just delayed a little. In ten years, we both will be ruling the servant's quarters with an iron fist! I'll be head cook and you'll be my second in command!"

The grin flashed again. "Enjoy your seven years. Archmage Kaimana is much prettier to serve umm... under... than Gorlick!"

Laughing, Misty heaved a pillow at her grinning friend as she whisked merrily out the door.

Her stomach gave a growl, reminding her that it had been many hours since the lunch she'd shared with little Jess. She got up and wandered to the window and settled again on the ledge, watching the western sky as the sun sank into the mountains that marked the Gorangan border. A sense of unease shook her, as for a moment the mountains and sky seemed to drip with blood. She closed her eyes against the vision; when she looked again, the sky was the natural blushing pinks of a beautiful sunset.

She laughed shakily. "Too much excitement and too little food today! If I don't rest soon, next I'll be seeing pigs flying past the window." She rose from the seat and stripped off her good gown, carefully folding it and laying it aside. She climbed into her threadbare old gown and fell into the bed, sound asleep almost before her head hit the pillow.

**********************************************

She smelled something foul, like slops left too long in the hot sun. She opened her eyes to darkness. No, not quite total darkness. There was a blacker shadow, as of a towering hooded figure. It turned slowly toward her. Blood red eyes looked down on her from within the depths of its hood. She fell trembling to her knees. The robes were cast aside and the figure seemed to shrink before her eyes--down, down, until a wizened creature stood there, scraps of rotting flesh clinging to its nearly skeletal frame. Flames glowed deep in the empty eye sockets. A hand dripping with maggots reached out towards her. "Yesssss.... this one will do nicely. The Scourge is coming for you, weak one. Your flesh shall host my spirit."

As that foul hand stroked her face, Misty woke shrieking. She sat up, heart racing, disoriented for a moment by her surrounding. She screamed again as a light suddenly appeared in the darkened room.

The archmage stood looking down at her, concern on his face, his magelight flickering gently. "Are you all right, dear? I was quite enjoying my sleep when I heard the most horrifying cries."

Misty blushed. "So sorry to disturb you, sir. Just a nightmare."

"Ah, those can be very distressing. I suffer from them myself. If you are sure all is well, then?"

"Yes, sir."

"Some time in the near future we simply must work on this projection problem of yours. But not, I think, in the middle of the night. Sweet dreams, child. At least, I hope for the sake of both our night's rest, that they are sweet."

"Projection problem, sir?" But he was gone again. Perhaps, she thought, as exhaustion claimed her again, he had just been another bit of her dream.

© Copyright 2004 Midnight Dawn (abookluvr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/864271-Hidden-Fire-section-3