*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/872372-The-Welsh-Prince
by indigo
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Young Adult · #872372
The Story of Prince Edward, Catherine, a beautiful traveler, and evil Count Malgonant
The Welsh
Prince


Chapter One
Edward

Edward sat on his throne.
It was not a large throne,, nor was it bedecked with jewels, for he was not a king. He was simply a Archduke. Archduke Edward Howell, that is, and third in line to the throne.
Edward sighed. It was so boring at his castle. It was in a remote place of Wales and he rarely got any visitors. There was no talking, no annoying chatter, just the clash of pots and pans from the kitchen below. He sighed again. Oh, how he would welcome some company! A lord, perhaps, or a lady. Even a child!
Wait.
What was that?
It sounded like dogs barking and horses running. Edward tried to dismiss the sounds, but could not. Then he heard a clash on the gates and a woman’s desperate voice cry out,
“ Help me!!! Oh, please God, save me!!!” He grabbed his sword and ran to the door. He burst through it and flung the gates open.
In fell a small, frail young woman and up reared a black horse. The woman screamed again, and Edward pulled her to safety.
The horse came down, and he could see the rider. It was a man in black armor. His great helm was off, and Edward saw the long black hair, the cruel hawks eyes, and thin pale lips. His skin held no character of color- it was paler than the moon. This man was no other than Lord Malgonant, Edwards arch-enemy. Malgonant spoke in a voice that made Edward shiver.
“That girl you see there has trespassed on my lands. She shall be punished.” The girls brown face contorted in fury.
“You liar!” She screamed. “You hold me prisoner, and then attempt to take me as your own wife, when I had first politely, then rudely refused you before!”
“Silence!!!” Malgonant roared, and brandished his sword. The girl turned to Edward, and took hold of his doublet.
“Please,” She whispered. “Believe me. Help me. Save me from this, this monster.” She looked up at him with big green eyes. Edward thought that this was strange, for her skin was dark, like a Gypsy, and her hair was raven black, but she had bright, jade green eyes, and her black cloak made them shine the ever more. Even though her dress and cloak were no more than dirty rags and tatters, she had a certain aura about her, and had the appearance of being regal. He had never seen the likes of her before. He put his arm round her. He felt how very frail she was, and wondered if she had been eating properly. He turned towards Malgonant.
“This woman is under my protection.” said Edward. “If you wish to take her, in any sense of the word, you shall be branded as a war-mongerer and a war shall start, not just over this beautiful woman, but over your word and your loyalty to it.” The girl gasped.
Malgonant’s eyes narrowed. He grunted and turned his black horse around. He cantered off into the darkness. The girl clung to him, breathing heavily. She spoke.
“ Oh kind sir,,,,,” she paused. Edward took the hint, and said
“Edward.” She smiled.
“Oh, kind Sir Edward, how can I ever repay you? You have given me my life and liberty, for I do not know what evils would have befallen me if I was captured and been forced to return.” She sighed. “God, he is an evil man.”
Edward nodded in agreement.
“Indeed, he is an evil man, and to the devil with him.” He looked down at her, for she was considerably shorter than him. “There will be no payment necessary, my lady. I am known throughout the land for my kindness and generosity. In faith, it is proclaimed on my coat of arms. You shall stay here for tonight, and for as long as you wish, for I have been of want of company.” Her eyebrows furrowed.
“Are you an honorable man?” She asked him.
“As sure as your eyes are green, my lady.” She nodded, but he seemed to have touched on something sensitive, for she walked into the castle with her jade eyes low. Edward followed her, and called to the gatekeeper to close the doors. As they were walking down the tiled corridor, he said “I must ask one boon of you, lady.” She stopped walking and turned around.
“What is that, my lord?” She asked inquisitively.
“Your name, lady.” She looked up into his blue eyes.
“Catalina Medici. But everybody calls me the Lady Catherine”











Chapter Two
The Lady Catherine


Edward motioned to one of his
servants. A woman came forward.
“I wish for this lady to have a
bath and to have fresh clothes. Tell
the cook to make a meal for both her and I, for I have not eaten as yet.” The servant nodded, and motioned for Lady Catherine to follow her. Before she left, she turned and, meeting his gaze, said,
“You are too kind.” Then she was gone.
Edward collapsed into his chair. His wish for company had been granted, but in a way so extreme that he could hardly believe that it had happened. Who was ‘the Lady Catherine’, and where did she come from? Where was her family, and who were they? He planned to have his questions answered over their evening meal. There he sat, for almost an hour, waiting, and doing nothing but think. He thought about many things, but he mainly thought about Lady Catherine. He remembered her thin, brown face, her frail, tan limbs, and her raven-black hair. And oh, what a striking feature her green eyes were!
Edward heard someone clear their throat. He looked up, and there stood Lady Catherine, looking resplendent in a gown of green, and even more regal than what she had before. He stood up and bowed. Lady Catherine simply tossed her waist-length hair and asked
“Is there food about, sir? I am dreadfully hungry.”
“Yes, indeed, Lady.” Edward replied. “There is food in the great hall, if I may show you the way.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edward and the Lady Catherine first ate their meal in silence. He decided to break it by posing a question.
“Lady.” She looked up. “Shall you return to your family soon?” She sighed.
“Alas that I can not, for I have none that I could claim as my family.”
“What misfortune befell on you, Lady?” Edward asked. Lady Catherine gritted her teeth.
“I suppose that I shall tell you everything, and I suppose that I owe it to you, since you saved me from my fate.
“My old home was Egypt. I was the Crown Princess there, and would rule together with my brother. My name then was Sekhmet, named after the lion Goddess that slays evil. Many people said that I had earned my name, for I rid my land of evil, and my country prospered. Alas that I could not slay the one evil that threw my from my throne.
“My brother, Sukararurat, plotted against me, and he and his followers were a plague upon my lands. My brother had a heavy want for power. One fated eve, he and his followers attacked the palace and he almost succeded in taking my life. Dreadfully wounded, I enlisted the help of a Roman who took me to Italy. There I converted and took the name of Catalina. My brother followed me there, but he met his untimley end. His followers agreed to let me go as long as I would never return to Egypt. I agreed, and now my sister rules. I went to Spain, and then to France, to receive an education. I became fluent in both Spanish and French as well as English. Finally, I traveled here. Why, well, I do not know for certain. To my sorrow, I came across a certain Lord Malgonant. He took it into his thick skull that I, I would be his! I refused him, but he just would not take no for an answer. No amount of persuasion could change his mind. He held me prisoner for many months, saying that he would only release me when I had given my word that I would marry him. Luck to me that he did nothing else. I managed to escape, but he followed me. To my fortune, I came across you, and, you saved me.” She smiled.
Edward did not say anything for a moment, so surprised was he, by her amazing story. An Egyptian Queen! He never would have thought of it.
“In certes, I did.” He said in response to her reply. “Now, I will retire. Shall I show you to your room?” She nodded and stood. They soon reached it.
“Good night, Lord Edward.” She turned to leave,but then stopped. “Goddess bless you.” She added. Then she closed the door.
“Good night, Catherine.” He said. He slowly walked away. What she had said proved that she was not completley converted. Well, neither was he, now was he?
As he fell asleep, he found himself wondering about Lady Catherine. Catherine, Catherine, Catherine...


Chapter Three
Dreams

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edward sat up in a jolt. Someone was screaming. There it was again. It was a woman's voice! Catherine! Malgonant had come to recapture her! He grabbed his sword, and ran towards her room.
He climbed down a flight of stairs, ran down a corridor, and then ran up a flight of spiral steps. Edward flung the door open and charged inside. And inside was...
Catherine, laying in her bed, screaming. She was having a nightmare. He dropped his sword and walked towards her. He shook her awake.
“Catherine! Catherine!! Catherine!!!” He cried. Her green eyes opened, and she stopped screaming. Instead, she started gasping. A single tear rolled down her face. She looked up at him.
“Oh Edward.” She clung to him. He was supprised at first, but were they not friends? He rocked her back and forth. “It was a terrible nightmare.” She continued. “I’ve had it before, but never as bad as this.”
“It’s alright, it was just a dream.”
“No! It is a memory. That is why it is so awful.” Edward looked at her sharply.
“What memory?” She pulled down the shoulder of her gown to reveal a terrible scar. It was a long, vertical gash. It was obviously made with a sword or a knife, but it was curved. It would have to take a strange sword from the East to make that cut.
“It is from the time that my accursed brother left me for dead. I told you that, didn’t I? But I did not tell you that it was he who stabbed me with a scimitar, while I was surrounded by a circle of my enemies?” Edward shook his head. He found himself reaching out to touch her scar, but he drew his hand back. She gave a little smile, sort of sad. She reached out with her hand and took his. She drew it to her.
“It’s alright.” She said. He touched, and thought it was the oddest thing that he had ever felt, besides the feeling in his pumping heart.
© Copyright 2004 indigo (viola at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/872372-The-Welsh-Prince